SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

michael85225 Dec 26, 2016 12:54 PM

Another even more depressing angle of the Marriott, excuse the quality as it came courtesy of Google Earth. At least the base looks alright I guess.
http://i66.tinypic.com/2whgg1s.jpg

Phxguy Dec 26, 2016 5:22 PM

That corner looks so messed up, just why? Why must we lose our history and historic beauties to this scum?

exit2lef Dec 27, 2016 1:04 AM

I went hiking at South Mountain today, and from the trail I could see how the new hotel, as bland as it may be, adds noticeable heft to the skyline as viewed from the south.

michael85225 Dec 27, 2016 11:42 PM

I wouldn't mind the extra heft in the skyline if this wasn't on an important piece of land that sits right next to a Phoenix landmark that actually is beautiful.

PHXFlyer11 Dec 28, 2016 12:11 PM

Anyone remember the name of the apartments that are planned to straddle both sides of Central at Camelback and the light rail station?

Anyhow, looks like construction is beginning on the West side of central next to the station. I think this will be pretty cool as I believe some retail was planned to line the station. Anyone know where I can find a rendering?

Also hope to see Macayos start construction on their new place soon so that the apartments that are to occupy their current hideous building can commence.

PHXFlyer11 Dec 28, 2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7662221)
Anyone remember the name of the apartments that are planned to straddle both sides of Central at Camelback and the light rail station?

Anyhow, looks like construction is beginning on the West side of central next to the station. I think this will be pretty cool as I believe some retail was planned to line the station. Anyone know where I can find a rendering?

Also hope to see Macayos start construction on their new place soon so that the apartments that are to occupy their current hideous building can commence.

In other news, Google works pretty well...
https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-26-15n.pdf

This looks better than I thought! This plan is for the West side of central. Lots of retail along central and along the station platform! Excellent project!

exit2lef Dec 28, 2016 1:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7662225)
In other news, Google works pretty well...
https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-26-15n.pdf

This looks better than I thought! This plan is for the West side of central. Lots of retail along central and along the station platform! Excellent project!

The renderings look good, but the last thing we need is more empty retail. I hope some tenants are already lined up.

exit2lef Dec 28, 2016 1:48 PM

Jobot moving to Roosevelt Point?

Rumors are now circulating that Jobot will move into the space now occupied by Oliver's Sophisticated Bean. OSB has stated on its own Facebook page that it is changing its approach for 2017, ditching its current gluten-free / no-this / no-that menu in favor of something else. Maybe that will be Jobot's crepes?

Questions on my mind if this turns out to be real:
  • What would it be called?
  • Jobot was the unofficial headquarters of the Save Roosevelt Row movement. It would be ironic to see the coffee house set up shop in one of the "high rises" that SRR has associated with gentrification.
  • One aspect of Jobot that absolutely should not be transplanted to Roosevelt Point is the smoking on the patio. I hope the lease or any agreement between OSB and Jobot prohibits that.

PHXFlyer11 Dec 28, 2016 2:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7662245)
The renderings look good, but the last thing we need is more empty retail. I hope some tenants are already lined up.

And the East has retail as well... https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-27-15n.pdf

exit2lef Dec 29, 2016 2:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7662250)
One aspect of Jobot that absolutely should not be transplanted to Roosevelt Point is the smoking on the patio. I hope the lease or any agreement between OSB and Jobot prohibits that.

The owner has announced that smoking will be permitted on the OSB patio because "coffee culture and cigarettes go together." As antiquated as this thinking is, at least the OSB patio is off to one side and therefore not as much as a gauntlet for non-smoking customers to pass through. Nevertheless, the smoke will be an annoyance for pedestrians on the newly improved Roosevelt sidewalks, assuming this relocation works out.

biggus diggus Dec 29, 2016 3:18 PM

I would be throwing a fit of epic proportions if I lived above a patio that began appealing to smokers. I thought public smoking within 20 feet of building entrances and on restaurant patios was not allowed.

ASU Diablo Dec 29, 2016 3:58 PM

MetroWest Updates

I have a couple of updates regarding some of the Metrowest projects. McKinley Row should wrap around June and new restaurant at Union will be moving in around March. Also, it looks like their 2nd Ave/McKinley condo project will also be 6-stories. That's some impressive height and density :tup:

exit2lef Dec 29, 2016 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7662912)
I would be throwing a fit of epic proportions if I lived above a patio that began appealing to smokers. I thought public smoking within 20 feet of building entrances and on restaurant patios was not allowed.

You are correct about the 20-foot rule, but if a patio is more than 20 feet from a restaurant's entrance, then it can be allowed. In fact, it can be even closer if there is sufficient ventilation to prevent any smoke from getting inside.

http://azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidem...x.php#outdoors

You make a good point about the residents of apartments above the OSB space. If they smell any smoke, I hope they do throw a fit of epic proportions. That may be what it takes to stop the smoking.

exit2lef Dec 29, 2016 4:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7662938)
... new restaurant at Union will be moving in around March.

Good news all around. Any idea what restaurant will go there?

Obadno Dec 29, 2016 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7662938)
I have a couple of updates regarding some of the Metrowest projects. McKinley Row should wrap around June and new restaurant at Union will be moving in around March. Also, it looks like their 2nd Ave/McKinley condo project will also be 6-stories. That's some impressive height and density :tup:

Do we have any renderings or stats on this project? Is it the entire block from 2nd-3rd ave? How many units.

Metrowest does good stuff but they are slooooooow:slob:

ASU Diablo Dec 29, 2016 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7662978)
Good news all around. Any idea what restaurant will go there?

I asked but didn't get a response. And yes it will take up the entire space along McKinley Ave. As far as how many units are concerned, this was posted a while back by one of the members but don't remember. Hopefully development documents start popping up soon on the City of PHX website

Red Robot Dec 29, 2016 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7662221)

Unfortunately construction is not beginning at this time, both the east and west projects are being marketed for sale to other developers: http://uptownland-cbre.com

The work on the west side is seemingly only to clear the land of the remaining single story office buildings that fronted Central Ave. No signs of demolition work on the east side property yet, but I imagine that's next.

nickw252 Dec 29, 2016 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7662912)

If I lived above and smelled the smoke I would dump buckets of water over the edge to put out the cigarettes.

Fucking smokers. :hell:

Jjs5056 Dec 30, 2016 1:45 AM

So, a lot seems to be happening.

RE: The Roosevelt Row business situation, there are still many bungalows sitting empty in the immediate area and over near the Jewish Synagogue that could help expand the footprint of the arts district. Citing OSB as a retailer who is representative of some negative movement in the area is unfair; the fact that a brain-damaged entrepreneur chose RR to open his dream cafe seems like something any neighborhood would support, but especially one sold on inclusion and diversity.

However the chips fall, I hope that the staples remain, that new tenants are either all local or at least bring a need that would be otherwise unmet, and that any new projects are considerate of the high absorption of commercial space. iLuminate is actually rather attractive, but with the Dressing Room and BE right next door, it's a shame the entire frontage will be private space. A boutique a la GreenHaus would have been great.

I have a feeling this mix will be achieved. The live/work units at Artisan House have always filled with unique, creative businesses, and I suspect to see the same at enHance and Proxxy; the retail at Alliance will take a while, but in the meantime, projects like the container ones on Portland/2nd St and Garfield/1st St are also coming online directed at providing affordable space for arts retail. Union will fill with local tenants eventually, and Portland of course will be a fantastic block.

Questions:
1) Will the Metrowest project (from the RFP) include any commercial or retail space? It would be nice to see Cibo-like eateries and businesses in the area.
2) Anyone know where the coffee shop could possibly be fitting into Alta Fillmore? The only details I heard were that it fronts Fillmore... thank god at least 5% of this giant will be somewhat urban.

Old News
The Luhrs Marriott has been discussed and is a total eyesore. It looks like a terrible office midrise from the 80s and adds nothing but dimension to the aesthetic of the skyline. Yuck. Considering what was lost, this was a net negative to downtown.

Ballpark Apartments is well on its way toward demolishing and privatizing a good 15-20% of remaining warehouse space -- is a final plan available? The original at least had 5 live/work units at the UPRR, but it changed after and removed the Buchanan abandonment. Live/work units, and public use of the 2 historic buildings on-site would me neutral overall. Having residents added to the employees, such as SEED Spot who moved into the R&R Warehouse will hopefully lead to some retail once and for all.

Should-be New News
The space between Steve's and 1st Street within the Regency Garage has been moving along in its transfer to PHX Commons, a mix of food, drinks, and other local products that seems to address both Adams and 1st Street which will be a huge change.

The personnel building attached to 111 W Monroe has been awarded; plans are for office space over 2 retail spaces, with the city providing 100 spaces elsewhere. I hope the plans include restoration of the formerly stunning facade, but a continuation of the retail at 111 is already a huge positive.

Central Park East is moving along, with the same parties from Lot 1 (Westin/Freeport) a part of the negotiations to split the remaining land into Lots 2 and 3 -- an 11 story hotel along 1st Street and 17-story residential building on Central. No brand was given, though the rumor here was Hampton Inn, and no details on any retail were given, but if both are built in one phase, I would take anything. With the other full lots to build on, I never expected these half-lots to fill. I do hope Central has at least 1 retail space since OCPE is simply a valet.

enHance is starting Phase 2 of 3. 7 stories at 1st and Portland (runs up to the dilapidated building closest to Hance). Hoping live/work is planned for all remaining phases. The city is planning street upgrades and it would be great to see the ambiance of W Portland extended.

muertecaza Dec 30, 2016 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 7663435)
So, a lot seems to be happening.

Questions:
1) Will the Metrowest project (from the RFP) include any commercial or retail space? It would be nice to see Cibo-like eateries and businesses in the area.
2) Anyone know where the coffee shop could possibly be fitting into Alta Fillmore? The only details I heard were that it fronts Fillmore... thank god at least 5% of this giant will be somewhat urban.

Re: question #2, here is a picture from a few pages back of the Alta Fillmore coffee shop. It's about mid block off Fillmore.

http://i.imgur.com/ZG7os8Hh.jpg

Awesome news about Central Park East, thanks for sharing. I had worried that the hotel would take up the remaining space on the block. Hotel plus residential would be a great get.