SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

CityBoyDoug Jun 29, 2017 5:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7849267)
Have we seen the McFarland Market on NLA?



28th & Central Avenue

Great foto ER.....huge variety of items. When I was in the 6th grade, a head of lettuce was 10 cents.


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psmocddfel.jpg
ER previous

Flyingwedge Jun 29, 2017 6:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7849236)

"This photograph was taken in 1911 of Venice Developer Joe Richardson & his wife Francis with their dog at their Mansion
in Venice California, located at 906 Grandview & Coeur d'Alene." -ebay

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/924/Zf0Ymg.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1911...3D122119771897


This second photograph shows "Mr. Richardson & his dog in a Buggy at their Mansion in Venice California, 906 Grandview & Coeur d'Alene."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...924/rKekrw.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-Photogr...3D122018110631

From street level it's difficult to see what's on the northeast corner.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...924/a0AJz6.jpg
gsv

Does anyone know what's behind this hedge?

But there's a hitch, the street numbers on Granview at Coeur D'Alene are in the 2600s (nowhere near 906 :shrug:)

Any help would be appreciated folks.

__

The house behind the hedge is 905 Coeur d' Alene, built in 1951, so 906 Coeur d' Alene would have been across the street
where St. Mark's is now. However, e_r, I think you've found two more miscaptioned photos. I believe your photos show
906 Venice Boulevard, then 906 Virginia, at lower left on the 1918 Santa Monica Sanborn map below (north is on the left):

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...psspl4cis5.jpg

ProQuest via LAPL


Your first photo above looks south at the house from the front; note how the wrap-around porch matches the map.
Your second photo looks east at the carriage house (906-1/2), with the alley next to it on the right. To the right of
the man and dog in the carriage I believe is a bit of 925 Fink (now Harding), marked below with a red dot. The blue
dot marks 2500 Grandview, moved there from 10762 National Blvd. in 1961:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...psp2adkqdb.jpg

Google Earth


http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...pspo7rkwjp.jpg

LADBS

oldstuff Jun 29, 2017 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7847899)
I don't believe we have seen the Schlitz Buffet on NLA.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...924/SEbAFl.jpg
ebay



http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...922/tpVnDx.jpg
reverse

It says Telephone Main 395....does that mean the address is also 395 Main Street?

_

For someone who can post pictures, there is a stein from the Schlitz Buffet on E-bay. It appears to be sold but there is a picture.

Rustifer Jun 29, 2017 3:09 PM

Anyone have any information of the Sunset De Ville apartments? This is where Stu Bailey lived in the 77 Sunset Strip series. Apt. 318. There's a shot of the front of the place every now and again in the series, and some interior shots when he was shown at home. Looked pretty swanky back then. Definitely retro now.
In one episode, Bailey scribbled his address as 6107 Atoll Ave, Los Angeles, but Google Maps indicates that to be a single dwelling, not an apartment complex. I guess the director thought no one would notice the address didn't match the location as this was long before a "pause" button was available to scrutinize details that usually just flashed by.

HossC Jun 29, 2017 3:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldstuff (Post 7849613)

For someone who can post pictures, there is a stein from the Schlitz Buffet on E-bay. It appears to be sold but there is a picture.

I found this on Etsy, which may be the same as the eBay listing. It's described as "Vintage item from the 1970s". Is it a reproduction, or did they get the date wrong? The price is €31.84.
Notice that it includes the names of Vierke and Tepper from e_r's postcard.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...itzBuffet2.jpg
www.etsy.com

oldstuff Jun 29, 2017 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 7848050)
Dunno. Here's all I can find in the Los Angeles Times about the Schlitz Buffet, article much condensed by my mad Photoshop skilz:

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...psp3vw1lyp.jpg
ProQuest via CSULB Library

I started out by trying to figure out which of the two men in the suits was which owner of the establishment, but they were too young for service in the Civil War and too old for WWI. So, along the way, I found this:

The Schlitz Buffet, located at 537 S. Main, Los Angeles was owned by Alois Henry Tepper and Ernest Vierke.
Alois Tepper was born in Germany on May 19, 1855. He came to the US in 1883 and became a naturalized citizen in 1888. Mr Tepper is found in a Los Angeles Directory in that year as being employed as a barkeeper. He married Augusta Gabriel in San Francisco in 1886. In 1898 he is noted as selling a saloon to someone in Los Angeles. He is also shown as living in Los Angeles in 1910. He died in Los Angeles in 1922 and is buried in Calvary Cemetery.

Ernest Vierke was born in Germany in about 1864. He married Ida Schultz in 1891. There is a notation in a book that in 1912 he built a "6 room frame house" in the Rose Hill area of Los Angeles. (Rose Hill is located east of the Arroyo Seco and next to Montecito Heights. It was opened as a "streetcar suburb" in 1904) Ernest appears in a 1916 Los Angeles directory as a merchant. At that time he is listed as residing at 512 Amethyst Street. This would be in the Rose Hill area and is probably the house he had built. The specific address no longer exists.
There are listings for him as a saloon owner in 1912 and 1913. There is one odd listing in 1918 which says that he and Tepper sold soft drinks at 537 S. Main. Vierke was active in German organizations in Los Angeles and seems to have been a model citizen. He died on May 13, 1938 in Los Angeles

oldstuff Jun 29, 2017 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 7849715)
I found this on Etsy, which may be the same as the eBay listing. It's described as "Vintage item from the 1970s". Is it a reproduction, or did they get the date wrong? The price is €31.84.
Notice that it includes the names of Vierke and Tepper from e_r's postcard.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...itzBuffet2.jpg
www.etsy.com

That is the same stein but the E-Bay listing had only one picture and it was from the other side showing the left edge of the people in the picture.

HossC Jun 29, 2017 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldstuff (Post 7849721)

Alois Tepper was born in Germany on May 19, 1855. He came to the US in 1883 and became a naturalized citizen in 1888. Mr Tepper is found in a Los Angeles Directory in that year as being employed as a barkeeper. He married Augusta Gabriel in San Francisco in 1886. In 1898 he is noted as selling a saloon to someone in Los Angeles. He is also shown as living in Los Angeles in 1910. He died in Los Angeles in 1922 and is buried in Calvary Cemetery.

The City Directories seem to spell Mr Tepper's first name "Aloys" rather than "Alois" (except the 1891 edition). Here are a selection of his entries.

The first listing I found is 1890, and shows Aloys/Alois as a bartender. The 1891 and 1893 CDs identify his place of employment as the James J Donovan liquor saloon at 230 E Fifth Street. He was living at 766 Elmore Avenue. A year later, and still at the same address, he was half of Pickenbach & Tepper (the other half being Charles Pickenbach), a wines and liquors business also at 230 E Fifth Street. Two years later he had moved to 800 E 8th Street, and by 1901, he was running a saloon at 239 E 7th Street. I then skipped through the remaning CDs, finding home addresses of 814 Towne Avenue in 1910 and 1915, and 624 W 45th Street in 1922.

Regarding the stein - it looks like there were at least two designs. Here's the other one.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...itzBuffet3.jpg
liveauctioneers.com

HossC Jun 29, 2017 7:00 PM

It's been a while since we've had a Julius Shulman photoset of a house in Beverly Hills. This is "Job 2799: William Beckett, Beckett House (Beverly Hills, Calif.), 1959".

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...1.jpg~original

The side looks like a black & white Mondrian.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...2.jpg~original

A thickly carpeted spiral staircase with a very large ornate mirror behind.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...3.jpg~original

I'll end the Shulman images with the only color photo.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...4.jpg~original

All from Getty Research Institute

The house is still standing at 1024 Summit Drive, Beverly Hills, but a 2016 article at la.curbed.com says "A prior listing from when the house last sold shows the shell of the original house pretty much intact, but the interior has been rendered nearly unrecognizable." Here's a selection of the 30 images that accompany the article. First, the remodeled entrance, complete with lions.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...5.jpg~original

It looks like the green zig-zags are grass - the owners must be forever getting the feet of their chairs stuck in them.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...6.jpg~original

I can't see the spiral staircase in any of the recent photos. Maybe this is its replacement.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...7.jpg~original

Finally, a mysterious wall safe bearing the names Tom Mix, Barbara Hutton, William Beckett and two others that I can't quite make out.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...8.jpg~original

All from la.curbed.com/John Aaroe Group

Martin Pal Jun 29, 2017 8:28 PM

:previous:

I'm wondering if these names were people who owned the house over the years. I can't read the first name exactly, either, but it looks like Robert (Mitermack) or something. The other name, though, is Gerald Oppenheimer. A google search brought up a newspaper site for a 1985 L.A. Times article concerning a party at his home and in the article it says: "Jerry stood in the foyer of the Oppenheimers' grand contemporary house (it once belonged to Tom Mix)".

Unless one has access to these newspaper sites, that's about all I can glean from it so far.


https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/172700967/

tovangar2 Jun 29, 2017 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 7850073)
:previous:

I'm wondering if these names were people who owned the house over the years. I can't read the first name exactly, either, but it looks like Robert (Mitermack) or something. The other name, though, is Gerald Oppenheimer. A google search brought up a newspaper site for a 1985 L.A. Times article concerning a party at his home and in the article it says: "Jerry stood in the foyer of the Oppenheimers' grand contemporary house (it once belonged to Tom Mix)".

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/172700967/

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ut...g=w297-h174-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/r5...w=w311-h400-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/sm...A=w329-h467-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cg...g=w330-h442-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Sp...Q=w330-h358-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/fM...g=w303-h129-no

odinthor Jun 29, 2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 7850073)
[...] Robert (Mitermack) or something. [...]

McCormack?

Durand Drive Jun 30, 2017 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbpjr (Post 5528819)
You mentioned Durand Drive as being close to the original Hollywoodland home on Mulholland Highway...my father's uncle, Tom Powers, who was a stage actor in New York and eventually appeared in many movies...lived at 3154 Durand Drive from 1948 to 1954...I visited the home a few times and remember him driving us up and down those winding roads in his yellow Packard convertible, with a rumble seat...where my brother and I were seated. I am hoping that someone, at this site, would be able to photograph the home as it appears today. Seems there weren't too many homes on that meandering road in those days...

Hi. My husband and I bought 3154 Durand Drive in January of 2002 and currently live there. We were delighted to find your post and the information about your uncle! This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing it correctly. If you receive it, please contact me here or at sheilabarnes007@yahoo.com and we can trade more information. We even have the original blueprints of the house!

ethereal_reality Jun 30, 2017 12:54 AM

Welcome to thread Durand Drive! So glad you noticed the NLA post concerning your home. rbpjr will be quite happy to see your comment.
_


Thanks so much for the follow ups on the Schlitz Buffet odinthor, HossC and oldstuff. I really appreciate it.

p.s. I loved the beer mugs!

ethereal_reality Jun 30, 2017 1:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingwedge (Post 7849409)
The house behind the hedge is 905 Coeur d' Alene, built in 1951, so 906 Coeur d' Alene would have been across the street
where St. Mark's is now. However, e_r, I think you've found two more miscaptioned photos. I believe your photos show
906 Venice Boulevard, then 906 Virginia, at lower left on the 1918 Santa Monica Sanborn map below (north is on the left):

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...5.jpg~original

ProQuest via LAPL


Your first photo above looks south at the house from the front; note how the wrap-around porch matches the map.
Your second photo looks east at the carriage house (906-1/2), with the alley next to it on the right. To the right of
the man and dog in the carriage I believe is a bit of 925 Fink (now Harding), marked below with a red dot. The blue
dot marks 2500 Grandview, moved there from 10762 National Blvd. in 1961:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...b.jpg~original
Google Earth

Wow Flyingwedge!

How in the heck did you figure all that out from my two photos?
I mean, you found places on streets that weren't even mentioned. (in the seller's description)

I'm seriously in awe.



One last look at the photos.

906 Venice Boulevard
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...924/DMBLDz.jpg
ebay




http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...924/rKekrw.jpg
ebay

Do you know the name of the dog? ;)



__

MichaelRyerson Jun 30, 2017 1:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7850399)
Wow Flyingwedge!

How in the heck did you figure all that out from my two photos?
I mean, you found places on streets that weren't even mentioned. (in the seller's description)

I'm seriously in awe.



One last look at the photos.

906 Venice Boulevard
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...924/DMBLDz.jpg
ebay




http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...924/rKekrw.jpg
ebay

Do you know the name of the dog? ;)
__

Bobby.

Flyingwedge Jun 30, 2017 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7850399)
Wow Flyingwedge!

How in the heck did you figure all that out from my two photos?
I mean, you found places on streets that weren't even mentioned. (in the seller's description)

__

Well, it was a combination of things. Grandview is a short street, so that reduced my search area. Also, the
1918 Sanborn Map showed so few houses in the area, 906 Venice kind of jumped out as the only one that
matched your photos. Plus, my mom worked for 30 years at the elementary school on Coeur d'Alene just
west of Grandview, and I think that somehow helped me intuit my way through the mystery you presented.

Thanks. :)

rick m Jun 30, 2017 3:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingwedge (Post 7849265)
Thank you for your comment, but which is "the big house next up the street"?

The house with the 2 levels of east facing verandas in the center of this image-- It matches an old Herald Examiner image (minus the shorn tower) in LAPL Photo collection-- numero 00032489- They don't I.D. which brother Shorb owned it- but likely not the winegrower brother who lived east of Los Angeles..

ethereal_reality Jun 30, 2017 3:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingwedge (Post 7850473)
Well, it was a combination of things. Grandview is a short street, so that reduced my search area. Also, the
1918 Sanborn Map showed so few houses in the area, 906 Venice kind of jumped out as the only one that
matched your photos. Plus, my mom worked for 30 years at the elementary school on Coeur d'Alene just
west of Grandview, and I think that somehow helped me intuit my way through the mystery you presented.

I appreciate the explanation FW. I was truly baffled.

__




This is an interesting of newly built courtyard apartments. (but it only shows the right side of the complex)


1906
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...922/6y5sR8.jpg
ebay

The persons writing the postcard describes her new place in detail (like what's inside ea. window)
They also mention a street number is visible on a post (but I don't see it)



You no doubt noticed the postmark on the front says Bakersfield, but there's a Los Angeles postmark stamped a day earlier.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...924/G5IxUQ.jpg
reverse

.....so the courtyard apartments are somewhere in Los Angeles.

If anyone sees that street number let me know.
__


p.s. I just noticed the front postmark says "received" BIG as day. ( I don't know how I missed it :shrug:)

Flyingwedge Jun 30, 2017 6:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick m (Post 7850483)
The house with the 2 levels of east facing verandas in the center of this image-- It matches an old Herald Examiner image (minus the shorn tower) in LAPL Photo collection-- numero 00032489- They don't I.D. which brother Shorb owned it- but likely not the winegrower brother who lived east of Los Angeles..

Hey thanks, very that's interesting! Here's the 1930 photo you mentioned, the caption for which refers to the home as
412 Justicia. That same home was at various times also called 42 Buena Vista, 352 Buena Vista, and 412 Buena Vista:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...r.jpg~original

LAPL


The same house, as previously posted, but with a red dot on the roof:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...i.jpg~original


This January 3, 1924, BP references a fire ("Restore as before the fire") and a new flat roof for 412 Buena Vista:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...h.jpg~original

LADBS


This July 17, 1925, BP suggests that 412 Buena Vista had just become 412 Justicia (note the crossout at the top):

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...u.jpg~original

LADBS


An August 4, 1925, BP for more bathroom work gives the address as 412 Justicia, as does the January 7, 1931, Demo
Permit. However, as late as the 1921 Baist Map, the old Glassell home (under the red dot) was still at 352 Buena Vista,
and there was no 400 block of Buena Vista:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...b.jpg~original

Historic Mapworks


But as I mentioned, the home was originally 42 Buena Vista:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...l.jpg~original

1888 Sanborn @ ProQuest via LAPL


Regarding Glassell vs. Shorb, here's what I think happened: Andrew Glassell built the house in c. 1886-87, but after
his wife died in late 1895, J. deBarth Shorb, Jr., and his wife Louise -- one of Andrew Glassell's daughters -- moved in.
They first appear there in the 1896 LACD. Andrew Glassell died in 1901, the last year J. deBarth Shorb appears at
352 Buena Vista in the LACD. So I think Shorb only lived there while his wife looked after her aging, widower father.

July 18, 1887, Los Angeles Times (I'm sorry about the left edge of the article, but it was like that when I found it):

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...psolisj59b.jpg

ProQuest via LAPL


Death of Mrs. Andrew Glassell:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...psovbylxlo.jpg

December 5, 1895, Los Angeles Herald at CDNC


Death of Mr. Andrew Glassell:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...psdabmq9rw.jpg

January 29, 1901, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC


Alfred Glassell, son of Andrew Glassell, is survived by his sister, Mrs. J. deBarth Shorb:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...psfbu5jsvg.jpg

November 3, 1905, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.