SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

HenryHuntington Aug 5, 2016 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 7522091)
The 1948 Long Beach CD only has two gas stations that mention Mobil in their name:

John & Bob's Mobil Service 3393 Long Beach Boulevard
Wings Mobil Service 3395 Atlantic Avenue

By 1951/1952 (the next available CD), there are 21:

Bob's Mobil Service 292 Alamitos Avenue
Brook's Mobil Gas Station 245 W 3rd
Corbett's Mobil Service 4625 E 2nd
Fingado's Mobil Services 551 W Anaheim
Gieck Mobil Service 142 E Anaheim
Hal's Mobil Service 3735 E Broadway
William N Hess Mobil Service Station 3401 E 7th
Joe's Mobil Service 1666 W Pacific Coast
McCleary Mobil Service 5952 E 2nd
Monte's Mobil Service 146 E 7th
Paul's Mobil Service 3598 Atlantic Avenue
Peterson's Mobil Service 1095 E 10th
Phoenix Mobil Station 2601 Atlantic Avenue
Rivers Mobil Service 2002 E Pacific Coast
Sorenson's Mobil Service 2841 E Anaheim
Vince's Mobil Service 2590 Lakewood Boulevard
Weed's Dick Mobil Service 4801 E 2nd
Willow & Delta Mobil Gas 1395 W Willow
Wisdom's Mobil Service 701 W Pacific Coast
Yowell & Morgan Mobil Service 2337 E 7th
Zeigler Mobil Service 1942 E 10th

None of the listings mention a cafe.

I've done a bit of checking with Historic Aerials, but so far I haven't found anything likely. Their earliest image for this area is 1953.

********

Great work, Hoss!

The entry for Fingado's Mobil Services 551 W Anaheim places it on the NE corner of Anaheim St. and Daisy Ave. There's an auto body repair shop on that corner now, but it doesn't look like the same structure. The lot looks pretty deep, though.

The cafe likely would have had a street address of 551 1/2 or 553 W. Anaheim St. or ~ 1300 N. Daisy Ave. - assuming that it was listed at all.

The oil tanks would've been in the next lot or so north, and the train would've been standing on the NW corner of Anaheim and Daisy, with the track beginning to curve off of Daisy to cross Anaheim and enter Fairbanks Yard.

sadykadie2 Aug 5, 2016 5:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7519918)
:previous: Hey, thanks Hoss!

and it only took me 7 years. ;)

__

Hey, hope this doesn't sound silly, but during my very hard divorce, this page brought me so much joy, such a great escape from all of my problems at the time. Thanks from the bottom of my heart, ER

HossC Aug 5, 2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHuntington (Post 7522233)

Great work, Hoss!

The entry for Fingado's Mobil Services 551 W Anaheim places it on the NE corner of Anaheim St. and Daisy Ave. There's an auto body repair shop on that corner now, but it doesn't look like the same structure. The lot looks pretty deep, though.

The cafe likely would have had a street address of 551 1/2 or 553 W. Anaheim St. or ~ 1300 N. Daisy Ave. - assuming that it was listed at all.

The oil tanks would've been in the next lot or so north, and the train would've been standing on the NW corner of Anaheim and Daisy, with the track beginning to curve off of Daisy to cross Anaheim and enter Fairbanks Yard.

Here's the intersection in 1953 (the earliest view available). W Anaheim goes horizontally across the center, with Daisy Avenue down the middle. I can't see any oil tanks, but they could've disappeared in four years.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...heimDaisy1.jpg
Historic Aerials

HossC Aug 5, 2016 2:44 PM

Here's a picture I came across a few days ago. It's headed "Harbor Fwy bypass for Olympic Fwy, 1958". I don't remember seeing this "bypass" on NLA. It looks like it was put in during the early stages of the construction of what is now the Santa Monica Freeway.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...1.jpg~original
USC Digital Library

There's no sign of the bypass in this 1961 view. Was it a very temporary measure used while the tunnels and overpass sections were constructed? You can see all of this image in post #18828

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...2.jpg~original
Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

The completed intersection can be seen in this 1970 image.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...3.jpg~original
USC Digital Library

ethereal_reality Aug 5, 2016 6:12 PM

'mystery' location [late 1920s? or early 30s?]

Does anyone recognize this street?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...922/MJYmtf.jpg
LOS ANGELES www.jalopyjournal.com

So what's up with the numbers above the windshield......is it a special trucking license?

and....I had forgotten traffic cops wore pith helmets.......all he's missing is a pair of white gloves ;).


__

ethereal_reality Aug 5, 2016 6:36 PM

Yes FW, without a doubt that's 'Monkey Island' from an angle we've never seen before on NLA.


Do you think that's a pile of monkey food at far right?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...921/YEAgeZ.jpg

;)



__

ethereal_reality Aug 5, 2016 8:28 PM

I just found this interesting Ektachrome slide on eBay.


SP 3104 Los Angeles, CA 3-1948, Taylor Yards, Los Angeles

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...922/y82IuF.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ektachrome-D...UAAOSwZVlXjDbT

If you stare at it long enough, you start to smell the oil and grease.


__

sopas ej Aug 5, 2016 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7522862)
'mystery' location [late 1920s? or early 30s?]

Does anyone recognize this street?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...922/MJYmtf.jpg
LOS ANGELES www.jalopyjournal.com

Funny enough, I sure do. The clue for me is the tall building in the background. This is in Glendale, on Broadway looking east towards Glendale Avenue. The modern Glendale Civic Center is now behind where the two ladies and cop are standing.

ethereal_reality Aug 5, 2016 8:53 PM

Here's another one for our rail-fans.

"SOUTHERN PACIFIC RR LINE DIESEL ENGINES LOCOMOTIVE #2146 2148 RPPC LOS ANGELES"

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...924/ZkQYWw.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTHERN-PAC...kAAOSwzgRWwO7C

I chose this image because of that rather striking sign on the tower.




Love the bulls-eye and jabberwocky letters.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...924/xdf6hz.jpg

Are any of you rail-fans familiar with this sign- or know the location of the tower?
_________



I have to be honest, I'm not really understanding the slogan...."Zero in Safety".

Why not say........"First in Safety".....or even...."No.1 in Safety"

__

HossC Aug 5, 2016 9:43 PM

I hope I'm not overloading everyone with Julius Shulman pictures of Long Beach hardware stores in 1949. This is "Job 425: Porters Hardware (Long Beach, Calif.), 1949".

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...1.jpg~original

I've included both images, even though they're fairly similar.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...2.jpg~original

Both from Getty Research Institute

The Long Beach CDs give the address of Porter Hardware as 5365 Long Beach Boulevard. This is how 5365 Long Beach Boulevard looks today. In fact, it looks much the same in all the historic GSV images.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...3.jpg~original
GSV

HossC Aug 5, 2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7522862)

'mystery' location [late 1920s? or early 30s?]

Does anyone recognize this street?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...922/MJYmtf.jpg
LOS ANGELES www.jalopyjournal.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 7522995)

Funny enough, I sure do. The clue for me is the tall building in the background. This is in Glendale, on Broadway looking east towards Glendale Avenue. The modern Glendale Civic Center is now behind where the two ladies and cop are standing.

Here's roughly the same view today.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...yGlendale1.jpg
GSV

Lwize Aug 5, 2016 10:24 PM

Possible repost?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHfmisMLOY

I can't seem to embed this YouTube video. Anyone care to try?

HossC Aug 5, 2016 10:47 PM

:previous:

GW told us about the video a couple of weeks ago in post #35998. Here's the embedded version for anyone who missed it:

Video Link

Lwize Aug 5, 2016 10:52 PM

:previous: Thanks!

CityBoyDoug Aug 6, 2016 2:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7523009)
Here's another one for our rail-fans.


Love the bulls-eye and jabberwocky letters.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...924/xdf6hz.jpg

Are any of you rail-fans familiar with this sign- or know the location of the tower?
_________



I have to be honest, I'm not really understanding the slogan...."Zero in Safety".

Why not say........"First in Safety".....or even...."No.1 in Safety"

__

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe they meant ''0'' accidents...and that was the ''target'' they were aiming for. I know, its weird. People thought different in those days.

Beaudry Aug 6, 2016 3:23 AM

So as I was harbinger of doom for La Colima here, which recently came to fruition here, I was similarly the herald o' death for PE's 1931 Hill St station electric train shed here, and now, that too has come to pass:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8793/2...a85814ec_o.png
(You'll have to excuse the image quality, I stole it from a Facebook page here, until such time I can run down there and shoot the demo myself.)

HenryHuntington Aug 6, 2016 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 7522495)
Here's the intersection in 1953 (the earliest view available). W Anaheim goes horizontally across the center, with Daisy Avenue down the middle. I can't see any oil tanks, but they could've disappeared in four years.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...heimDaisy1.jpg
Historic Aerials

********

Few things about this photo, Hoss (along with my thanks for providing it):

- We can see that the track begins curving off of Daisy Ave. north of Anaheim St., so it leaves room on private right-of-way for PE 1615 to be spotted as in e_r's original photo.

- The the west wall of the structure occupying the NE corner of Anaheim and Daisy is at or close to the edge of the sidewalk as in the original. (The current auto body shop building is crowded against the east side of the lot).

- I don't see a structure fronting on Anaheim St. west of the tracks that would provide the eave jutting into the original photo.

- And, as you noted, the Hamarson Oil tanks are gone.

I'm still inclined to believe that there's enough evidence to pin this rap on Daisy and Anaheim pending new evidence. :)

Flyingwedge Aug 6, 2016 3:39 AM

Harbor Freeway Detour
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 7522570)
Here's a picture I came across a few days ago. It's headed "Harbor Fwy bypass for Olympic Fwy, 1958". I don't remember seeing this "bypass" on NLA. It looks like it was put in during the early stages of the construction of what is now the Santa Monica Freeway.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...1.jpg~original
USC Digital Library

There's no sign of the bypass in this 1961 view. Was it a very temporary measure used while the tunnels and overpass sections were constructed?

Yes, Hoss, you are exactly right. That's Venice Blvd. passing both under and over the Harbor Freeway. The houses
near the center of the photo, surrounded by the permanent and temporary Harbor Freeways, are on Wright Street.

Here is the explanation:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...n.jpg~original
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...b.jpg~original
Jan-Feb 1959 California Highways and Public Works @ Metro Archive


Your photo was taken prior to this one; the church (with the two spires) in the lower right corner was at
18th and Cherry, which we have seen before:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...y.jpg~original
Jan-Feb 1959 California Highways and Public Works @ Metro Archive


Here's the area today:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...q.jpg~original
2016 Google Earth

Flyingwedge Aug 6, 2016 6:31 AM

Flanders Apartments, 1975 N. Cahuenga
 
J. E. Flanders was the owner, contractor, and architect of his apartments:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...4.jpg~original
October 27, 1916, Building Permit @ LADBS


http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...q.jpg~original
Nov 12, 1916, Los Angeles Times @ Proquest via LAPL


http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...s.jpg~original
1918 LACD apartment listing @ LAPL


There were four apartments on each of the two floors:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...h.jpg~original
September 1919 The Architect and Engineer of California @ HathiTrust


Do we like the Flanders Apartments?

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...e.jpg~original
September 1919 The Architect and Engineer of California @ HathiTrust


This August 19, 1953, photo looks down the Cahuenga onramp to the southbound Hollywood Freeway. At the end of the
ramp, on the far side of Cahuenga, is the Flanders Apartments. The six-story building to the left of the Flanders is the
Charles Whittlesey-designed Padre Hotel:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...z.jpg~original
00041126 @ LAPL


This October 1, 1964, permit is to convert the Flanders from an eight-unit apartment building into an eight-unit apartment
building with a theater workshop in the basement:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...0.jpg~original
LADBS


There were two other building permits, from May 26, 1965, and March 24, 1967, to complete the work started under the
October 1964 permit. This June 20, 1966, Los Angeles Times article implies that the theater in the basement had been
open for some time:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...u.jpg~original
Proquest via LAPL


I don't know the story behind "Demolish to comply with Bd. Res. 6213" -- I guess some governmental authority
wanted the place closed -- but this demo permit was issued on May 12, 1967:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...a.jpg~original
LADBS


Here is the parking lot now at 1975 N. Cahuenga:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...w.jpg~original
GSV April 2015

Otis Criblecoblis Aug 6, 2016 8:15 AM

Safety Last
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7523009)
Here's another one for our rail-fans.

"SOUTHERN PACIFIC RR LINE DIESEL ENGINES LOCOMOTIVE #2146 2148 RPPC LOS ANGELES"

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...924/ZkQYWw.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTHERN-PAC...kAAOSwzgRWwO7C

I chose this image because of that rather striking sign on the tower.




Love the bulls-eye and jabberwocky letters.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...924/xdf6hz.jpg

Are any of you rail-fans familiar with this sign- or know the location of the tower?
_________



I have to be honest, I'm not really understanding the slogan...."Zero in Safety".

Why not say........"First in Safety".....or even...."No.1 in Safety"

__

I think the slogan is actually "Zero in on Safety." I see what looks like another word in very small letters to the left of "Safety", and I assume the word is "on" because it fits.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.