SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian May 11, 2021 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9276843)
I can see a booster being needed, but serial new shots to address the virus' ongoing mutation don't sound necessary to me.....unless you're trying to make lots of money.

Pretty soon this will be like the Flu shot--which basically sucks and doesn't work more than half the time, and most of the public never bothers to get the flu shot anyhow because they aren't worried about the flu. Covid will become that pretty quickly

I tried to say pretty much the same thing as your first point--in other words, WE AGREE.

As to the second point, I think the SARS family of viruses are very different from flu viruses in many, many ways including the severity and complexity of disease they cause (we aren't even sure COVID is primarily a respiratory virus any more--its respiratory symptoms may have as much to do with vascular damage in lungs as to damage directly to lung tissue) AND the manner and frequency of their mutation. I wouldn't compare them at all.

the urban politician May 11, 2021 8:28 PM

Boy, I can't wait till the next pandemic! :D

I hope I am long gone by then......

Steely Dan May 11, 2021 8:37 PM

just found out that a neighbor who was double-dosed with moderna back in february got pretty sick over the weekend, so she got tested for covid yesterday, and she has the rona.

just a friendly reminder that nothing is 100%.

Pedestrian May 11, 2021 8:47 PM

Quote:

State Sites Ready to Vaccinate Ages 12 to 15 Thursday, May 13, Subject to CDC Approval

Walk-ins are welcome at seven state-run locations in Phoenix area, Tucson, Yuma and Flagstaff
Letter from AZ Dept. of Health Services

THAT was quick. Good on them!

Camelback May 11, 2021 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9276891)
just found out that a neighbor who was double-dosed with moderna back in february got pretty sick over the weekend, so she got tested for covid yesterday, and she has the rona.

just a friendly reminder that nothing is 100%.

There are going to be a lot of these examples with a vaccine that is 95% effective. The wife of my friend (nurse) got Covid in March or April after being double vaxx'd back in January. She's in her 30s and had mild symptoms, recovered quickly.

Pedestrian May 11, 2021 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9276912)
There are going to be a lot of these examples with a vaccine that is 95% effective. The wife of my friend (nurse) got Covid in March or April after being double vaxx'd back in January. She's in her 30s and had mild symptoms, recovered quickly.

As you pointed out, if 300 million people are vaccinated with a vaccine that's 95% effective, 1.5 million people are going to get some sort of break-through infection.

But there's also the issue that the tests for COVID are not 100% accurate either although for the PCR test (and other molecular tests) the false negative rate is much higher than the false positive rate.

In terms of documented experience, let me repost what I posted above:

Quote:

5814 vaccine breakthrough infections out of >75 million vaccinated persons in the US (obviously, this information was gathered months ago)
▪2622 (45%) were ≥60 years old
▪3752 (65%) in women
▪1695 (29%) asymptomatic
▪396 (7%) hospitalized; of those, 133 (34%) asymptomatic or unrelated to COVID19
▪74 (1%) died; of those, 9 (12%) asymptomatic or death unrelated to COVID-19
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-1...ugh-cases.html

That's 1 death/million persons vaccinated with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines.

But being more than 60 years old, I have to say this is why I still wear a KN95 mask indoors in stores etc and why I expect I will continue to as long as we have regularly occurring cases of this disease.

the urban politician May 11, 2021 9:04 PM

^ Exactly, and I'm betting that many of those people were saved from a far more severe infection if they never had been vaccinated at all.

It's also an issue that some people never mount an immune response to vaccines. Plus you have a few people who are immunocompromised, and in those cases they are likely to get much reduced benefit from the vaccine

Pedestrian May 11, 2021 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9276944)
^ Exactly, and I'm betting that many of those people were saved from a far more severe infection if they never had been vaccinated at all.

It's also an issue that some people never mount an immune response to vaccines. Plus you have a few people who are immunocompromised, and in those cases they are likely to get much reduced benefit from the vaccine

Quote:

'Breakthrough' cases of vaccinated people who get COVID may be key to unlocking immunity
Erin Allday
April 14, 2021
Updated: April 15, 2021 10:33 a.m.

After more than a year of anxiety that someone in her multigenerational household would bring home the coronavirus and expose elderly grandparents and great-grandparents to a possibly fatal disease, Vanessa Bain was breathing a lot easier by the end of March.

Almost everyone in their Menlo Park home had had at least one dose of vaccine. And then her husband tested positive. Within days so did her grandfather and great-grandmother, along with Bain and her teenage daughter, who was too young to be vaccinated.

Their story is both a cautionary tale and a celebration of vaccines. Yes, one or more members of the household may be so-called breakthrough cases — people who get sick after being fully vaccinated. But her grandfather and great-grandmother, ages 81 and 95, and considered very high risk of serious illness and death from COVID-19, are doing OK despite testing positive.

“Both of them seem to be showing relatively mild symptoms. I think that means the vaccine was effective at preventing them from ending up in the hospital, which is fantastic,” said Bain, 35, who is still not feeling well about two weeks after testing positive herself. “I’m really glad they got the vaccine even though they got COVID. I think things would be really different if they hadn’t.”

. . . public health officials are increasingly interested in breakthrough cases, which are defined as people who test positive and have symptoms of COVID-19 after being fully vaccinated.

These cases should be rare — and are fully expected. The vaccines are not 100% effective, and with the virus still circulating fairly widely across California, a few cases in people who are fully vaccinated are bound to happen. California doesn’t yet publicly report breakthrough cases, but a survey of Bay Area counties found more than 100 confirmed or suspected.

The breakthrough cases are important to track because they could provide useful clues to how the vaccines work and how the virus is changing. Breakthrough cases will help infectious disease experts identify new variants that could be evading vaccines. They will help public health officials understand how long vaccine immunity lasts and whether, or when, they need to start giving boosters.

Pressure is mounting on public health authorities to create a national or state database of breakthrough cases. Such cases will likely occur in low enough numbers that county-level data won’t reveal important trends, such as the demographics of who is becoming infected or what strains of the virus are breaking through.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...sL_vL5jk07uJuw

edale May 11, 2021 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9276756)
Yeah I'm not sure why other people care so much if other people are still wearing masks outdoors. Do they also care if people wear socks with flip flops? Or wear shorts in the city?

What other people choose to wear doesn't affect you in any way. If you're fully vaccinated and are outdoors, feel free to unmask, but is your psyche really so fragile that your day will be ruined if someone that is wearing a mask gives you a funny look?

I don't think you're talking to me since I said I don't really care if people choose to wear a mask outside, but I'll chime in here. Wearing a mask outside, especially if you're vaccinated, is essentially virtue signaling. It's a sign that people have lost trust in science and official government guidance, as the CDC has said people do not need to wear them outside. That is troubling, I think. Further erosion of trust of government and facts is never a good thing.

I wear a mask 100% of the time inside, as I believe you are still required to in CA. Continuing to wear them outside, to me, feels like a hesitancy for people to allow themselves to return to some semblance of normal. I don't want to live in a world where everyone has their faces covered, and where people are afraid to even walk by each other on the sidewalk. I choose to not wear a mask outside because I am vaccinated, but when I see everyone else masked up outside, I feel like people view me suspiciously or think that I'm not taking the pandemic seriously. :shrug:

Pedestrian May 11, 2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 9277019)
I wear a mask 100% of the time inside, as I believe you are still required to in CA.

Just have to say: I wear a mask 100% of the time inside too, not because the state of CA says so (if they do--I have never paid any attention to what they say because I've always considered it absurd the way they make these pronouncements and make no attempt to enforce them) but because the stores and other inside venues say so and MAINLY because it is totally the sensible thing to do based on what we know about the virus and how it is transmitted.

I also think Tony Fauci had a very valid point over the weekend in spite of being mocked by certain media: We've learned something from COVID, namely that wearing a mask in indoor or poorly ventilated public spaces full of other people can prevent more than COVID. It can prevent flu, colds and so on: Illnesses that may not kill you but can make you miserable for days or weeks. Again, not because Fauci says so but because it makes sense to me, I'm probably going to keep wearing a mask on transit and in some stores etc during cold/flu season even after COVID has passed into history. If I had done that 2 years ago, people would think it really strange but now it shouldn't shock them.

homebucket May 11, 2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 9277019)
I don't think you're talking to me since I said I don't really care if people choose to wear a mask outside, but I'll chime in here. Wearing a mask outside, especially if you're vaccinated, is essentially virtue signaling. It's a sign that people have lost trust in science and official government guidance, as the CDC has said people do not need to wear them outside. That is troubling, I think. Further erosion of trust of government and facts is never a good thing.

I wear a mask 100% of the time inside, as I believe you are still required to in CA. Continuing to wear them outside, to me, feels like a hesitancy for people to allow themselves to return to some semblance of normal. I don't want to live in a world where everyone has their faces covered, and where people are afraid to even walk by each other on the sidewalk. I choose to not wear a mask outside because I am vaccinated, but when I see everyone else masked up outside, I feel like people view me suspiciously or think that I'm not taking the pandemic seriously. :shrug:

I don't think they're virtue signaling. I think they are, for whatever reason, still afraid they might get the 19, despite the extremely low risk of outdoor transmission. We should see less and less mask wearing as people gradually get more comfortable, especially as we see vaccinations continue to gradually increase and cases nadir to near zero.

Camelback May 11, 2021 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9276878)
Boy, I can't wait till the next pandemic! :D

I hope I am long gone by then......

Covid-25 coming soon! God, could you imagine if we have to do all this crap again in few years?

It's possible that a rogue nation like North Korea accidentally unleashes another virus that goes full on pandemic.

JManc May 11, 2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9277039)
Just have to say: I wear a mask 100% of the time inside too, not because the state of CA says so (if they do--I have never paid any attention to what they say because I've always considered it absurd the way they make these pronouncements and make no attempt to enforce them) but because the stores and other inside venues say so and MAINLY because it is totally the sensible thing to do based on what we know about the virus and how it is transmitted.

I also think Tony Fauci had a very valid point over the weekend in spite of being mocked by certain media: We've learned something from COVID, namely that wearing a mask in indoor or poorly ventilated public spaces full of other people can prevent more than COVID. It can prevent flu, colds and so on: Illnesses that may not kill you but can make you miserable for days or weeks. Again, not because Fauci says so but because it makes sense to me, I'm probably going to keep wearing a mask on transit and in some stores etc during cold/flu season even after COVID has passed into history. If I had done that 2 years ago, people would think it really strange but now it shouldn't shock them.

I also think people stayed home when they had any kind of cold/ flu/ covid like symptoms and spared everyone else the displeasure of being coughed and sneezed on. Agreed about some people wearing masks during cold/ flu season going forward.

Though, I am starting to see people wearing masks less and less and businesses not pestering them about it; going to the bathroom at a restaurant and not putting mask on.

edale May 11, 2021 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9277039)

Yes, I agree. I don't just wear a mask because the state says we have to, but because it makes sense to wear one inside based on what we know about how the virus spreads. I have been wearing masks on airplanes for years after I got very sick following the jankiest flight of my life on Frontier Airlines (never again). I, too, will probably wear a mask on transit during cold/flu season going forward.

It's having to wear a mask to take the dog around the block, or while running in the park, etc. that I find burdensome. I did it without complaint, but after getting vaccinated and seeing the updated CDC guidance on the matter, I was happy to ditch the mask for those activities. It's so nice to be able to smell all the jasmine, eucalyptus, and flowers again on my neighborhood walks. I really missed that.

Pedestrian May 11, 2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9277081)
I also think people stayed home when they had any kind of cold/ flu/ covid like symptoms and spared everyone else the displeasure of being coughed and sneezed on. Agreed about some people wearing masks during cold/ flu season going forward.

Though, I am starting to see people wearing masks less and less and businesses not pestering them about it; going to the bathroom at a restaurant and not putting mask on.

You live in Texas ;) : https://twitter.com/AlainaW69265029/...e-it-was-texas

Pedestrian May 11, 2021 10:51 PM

This is just such a crazy cool graphic I had to post it: I hope non-subscribers can see it.

Americans Up and Moved During the Pandemic. Here’s Where They Went.

sopas ej May 11, 2021 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9277065)

It's possible that a rogue nation like North Korea accidentally unleashes another virus that goes full on pandemic.

I doubt it; North Korea hasn't embraced capitalism, so they wouldn't have an unregulated wet market not following the rules that would spread "exotic food"-borne diseases.

If China were truly communist and had highly regulated places to sell things, they would have cracked down on unsanitary wet markets.

Camelback May 11, 2021 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 9277136)
I doubt it; North Korea hasn't embraced capitalism, so they wouldn't have an unregulated wet market not following the rules that would spread "exotic food"-borne diseases.

If China were truly communist and had highly regulated places to sell things, they would have cracked down on unsanitary wet markets.

You doubt North Korea could inflict harm on the rest of us because they haven't embraced capitalism?

wot?

sopas ej May 11, 2021 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9277184)
You doubt North Korea could inflict harm on the rest of us because they haven't embraced capitalism?

wot?

I did not say that. I said that North Korea hasn't embraced capitalism, and hence would not allow an unregulated, free market unsanitary wet market that would sell questionably legal "exotic food" that would unleash new deadly viruses. They would be mandating and inspecting legal, state-sanctioned food markets. Because isn't that what communism is all about? State control and responsibility over commerce, and plenty of other things?

Pedestrian May 11, 2021 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 9277136)

IF the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic came from a "wet market", which is unproven (and I personally am not at all convinced about), it doesn't necessarily mean that market was unsanitary in the sense most people would think of. The problem would have been the human consumption of wild animals and/or the confinement of different species wild animals that may not normally come into contact with each other in close proximity.

I do believe, and I think it's consensus, that the virus arose in bats native to parts of China but not in the immediate vicinity of Wuhan. And it probably then passed through an intermediate species but we are much less sure which one is most likely. But IF the human source was the wet market, it was probably that intermediate species that was for sale in the market and that infected humans. Even if the conditions in the market were scrupulous, humans would have been infected by slaughtering and consuming that species.

China has recognized this by putting in place restrictions--even bans I've read (but one wonders how effective)--on wild animal consumption nationwide. But there's still plenty of ways an animal pathogen could be passed to humans. One well-known example is via mosquitos (or other blood-sucking parasites) but there are many others.

I doubt we are going to be able to prevent the formation of novel pathogenic viruses in places like the Asian and African hinterlands. But we should probably focus on minimizing the interactions of humans with intermediary species like parasites and eating wild animals. There are effective ways to eliminate those parasites in human environments for example.