SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

fawd May 2, 2017 12:49 AM

San Carlos update: Told it SOLD last week. Condos are coming.

My understanding is all the shops along central (excluding Rice Paper) are either going away or paying higher rates. Effort to get higher revenue businesses put in.

Whole deal is under lock-and-key... everything is pretty tight lipped over there. Ill post more as I know more......

Worth noting that i havent 100% confirmed the above personally...

fawd May 2, 2017 1:34 AM

Alright. Trying to get to the bottom of this, guys. Sorry for the head fake.

Made a couple calls, and just had a meeting in the San Carlos. It did NOT sell, and deal fell through. Hotel has been for sale since 2013 - this is as close as it has gotten.

Barbershop and the others along central are still getting pushed out, for better or worse.

Again, ill let you know more as I learn more.... feels right, but again, everyone is in the dark.

fawd May 2, 2017 1:41 AM

The old Vape shop on Monroe, is rumored to be converting into a bar.

Phxguy May 2, 2017 1:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 7791406)
The old Vape shop on Monroe, is rumored to be converting into a bar.

I saw a sign for a florist posted there a while ago. But it'd be better if it was a bar for that area! Loving the vibe of that corner.

Sucks about the businesses in San Carlos. Although maybe some retail in line with window-shopping (a clothing shop or boutique) will replace it. The lack of shops downtown disappoints me.

exit2lef May 2, 2017 4:00 AM

I love how Central & Monroe is becoming a hot corner, but Downtown's resurgence can't be all about bars and restaurants. We've lost two convenience stores (the one in the San Carlos and John & Kathy's shop on Adams) in the past year, and if Eddie closes, we'll have lost two barbershops (his and Gentleman Joe's). I don't expect a lot of new stores given the overall shift to e-commerce, but it would be nice to have basic services and shops for the immediate needs of Downtown's growing population.

pbenjamin May 2, 2017 7:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7791512)
I love how Central & Monroe is becoming a hot corner, but Downtown's resurgence can't be all about bars and restaurants. We've lost two convenience stores (the one in the San Carlos and John & Kathy's shop on Adams) in the past year, and if Eddie closes, we'll have lost two barbershops (his and Gentleman Joe's). I don't expect a lot of new stores given the overall shift to e-commerce, but it would be nice to have basic services and shops for the immediate needs of Downtown's growing population.

Youngblood Haircutters in the Renaissance is gone too.

fawd May 3, 2017 5:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 7791413)
I saw a sign for a florist posted there a while ago. But it'd be better if it was a bar for that area! Loving the vibe of that corner..

No, florist is inbetween Cornish and this rumored bar.

Subway > cornish > florist > 'bar'

exit2lef May 3, 2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 7792715)
No, florist is inbetween Cornish and this rumored bar.

Subway > cornish > florist > 'bar'

Glad to hear that. A florist shop is like a barbershop or a dry cleaner -- a service provider that supports the needs of downtown residents and workers while adding variety to the urban landscape.

biggus diggus May 3, 2017 3:01 PM

Anything is better than a vape shop. An ISIS chapter headquarters would be better for the neighborhood than those awful vaping people who think that sort of thing is cool.

exit2lef May 3, 2017 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7793002)
Anything is better than a vape shop. An ISIS chapter headquarters would be better for the neighborhood than those awful vaping people who think that sort of thing is cool.

Agreed. It's sad that Mill Avenue in Tempe has two vape shops nearly next to each other on one of its most otherwise attractive blocks (between 3rd & 5th streets).

jward145 May 3, 2017 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 7790110)
Hello!

Hi there!

I'm just wondering, I've been looking for updates on the project at Camelback and 28th/29th, which is a new office building and a new hotel.

Are these projects currently under construction? My, Phoenix (and especially Camelback/Midtown) is really booming!

gymratmanaz May 3, 2017 9:37 PM

AND.... I have an out of the blue question.... the SW corner of 44th St and Thomas, the rental car place is fenced off and the usual mattress place is closed, leaving the Loan place left. Is there anything happening to turn all 3 places into something nice on the corner??? I have been waiting for years for that to turn into something good.

dtnphx May 3, 2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jward145 (Post 7793503)
Hi there!

I'm just wondering, I've been looking for updates on the project at Camelback and 28th/29th, which is a new office building and a new hotel.

Are these projects currently under construction? My, Phoenix (and especially Camelback/Midtown) are really booming!

It is currently under construction.

http://pdf.leeazmail.com/pdfs/Camelb...Collective.pdf

jward145 May 3, 2017 11:13 PM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 7793613)
It is currently under construction.

http://pdf.leeazmail.com/pdfs/Camelb...Collective.pdf

Thanks a bunch! Loving this packet. I wonder if/when the new AC will get the ball rolling on marketing. I don't know why, but I geek out over new hotels and attractions. :tup:

Phxguy May 4, 2017 9:48 PM

A few updates....

The old Roosevelt Tavern by Songbird Coffehouse is getting a French Resturant called the Monocle. Talked with the owner in passing and he mentioned an opening around May 22nd.

The renovations of the Arizona Center are clearly visible all over the grounds. Not much has been mentioned about this project, but just so you know, it's progressing.

And the The Blocks at Roosevelt has fenced the Flowers building off. Two restaurants are confirmed to be moving in upon completion.

exit2lef May 4, 2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 7794861)
A few updates....

The old Roosevelt Tavern by Songbird Coffehouse is getting a French Resturant called the Monocle. Talked with the owner in passing and he mentioned an opening around May 22nd.

The renovations of the Arizona Center are clearly visible all over the grounds. Not much has been mentioned about this project, but just so you know, it's progressing.

And the The Blocks at Roosevelt has fenced the Flowers building off. Two restaurants are confirmed to be moving in upon completion.

Thanks for sharing. Encouraging news about the Monocle. French food has fallen out of fashion, but I hope it is making a comeback. I walked through the Arizona Center the other day and saw the renovations underway. I think the lack of buzz is due to there having been no announcements of new tenants.

KEVINphx May 5, 2017 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7794922)
Thanks for sharing. Encouraging news about the Monocle. French food has fallen out of fashion, but I hope it is making a comeback. I walked through the Arizona Center the other day and saw the renovations underway. I think the lack of buzz is due to there having been no announcements of new tenants.

I'm in Paris at the moment on my fifth trip here and have to say, despite being only 31 and from Phoenix - French food has never been "in fashion" in my lifetime and I've never had ANYTHING like the true quality of what is readily available on nearly every block here. It's depressing, as great as the strides have been Phoenix has made in the culinary department we have eons to go lol

Nearly every place aside from the limited menu as Essence that I've been to that claims to be French or French "inspired" has been a laughably sad imitation so we'll see

pbenjamin May 5, 2017 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVINphx (Post 7795794)
Nearly every place aside from the limited menu as Essence that I've been to that claims to be French or French "inspired" has been a laughably sad imitation so we'll see

Does that include Coup des Tartes? Haven't been but have heard good things.

biggus diggus May 5, 2017 6:39 PM

coup des tartes is fantastic, mary elaine's was fantastic, le sans souchi is fantastic, Voltaire was fantastic.

Sounds to me like KEVINphx has never ventured to some of the finer examples of French in the valley. Sure, there are/were more affordable restaurants advertising French and failed to impress, maybe he only knows about those.

downtownphxguy12 May 5, 2017 7:38 PM

I was in Paris last summer and was expecting some great culinary experiences. Was somewhat disappointed. Did have some foi gra with eggs in the marais district that blew me away, but the rest i could have stayed in phoenix.

Now the architecture and history was amazing as well as walking the 100 steps several times a day up a spiral staircase to our airbnb apartment.