SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

muertecaza Jun 1, 2022 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9638880)
Why do all that when this is the doomed fate of Chase Tower? :haha: :haha: :haha:

Video Link

The History Channel is so weird.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 9638905)
This Made-For-TV movie is another gem where Chase Tower is destroyed, even asteroids don't want it :haha:

Video Link

Not to be confused with 1993's excellent Fire in the Sky.

combusean Jun 2, 2022 1:02 AM

I'm also certain that there's no possible way Chase would ever collapse under its own weight from dirt. What a weird thing to claim.

somethingfast Jun 2, 2022 3:19 AM

first clip is weird as hell...2nd clip is badass! phoenix in 1978...about 3.2 million fewer people??? i need to see that made-for-TV flick now lol

xymox Jun 2, 2022 4:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9639059)
I'm also certain that there's no possible way Chase would ever collapse under its own weight from dirt. What a weird thing to claim.

Yeah, what a joke. This feels like something someone back east dreamt up about the desert. I mean - it seems as if there's enough rain to create that much mud to the point that it is such a problem - then there's not that much dust in the air to create the problem in the first place.

exit2lef Jun 2, 2022 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 9639138)
first clip is weird as hell...2nd clip is badass! phoenix in 1978...about 3.2 million fewer people??? i need to see that made-for-TV flick now lol

I remember watching it when I was in middle school, long before I had any thought of moving to Phoenix. It was incredibly cheesy, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

somethingfast Jun 2, 2022 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 9639398)
I remember watching it when I was in middle school, long before I had any thought of moving to Phoenix. It was incredibly cheesy, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

ha you're dating yourself man! well i do remember seeing this on maybe TNT back in the early 90's...something like that...seemed really, really cheesy even then - nothing wrong with some good cheese though, right ??

Obadno Jun 2, 2022 3:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9639059)

It’s supposed to be 100 years from now with zero maintainence

So like nearly a 200 year old steel structure exposed to the elements it would probably fall down eventually, weather mud weight or just rust

ASU Diablo Jun 2, 2022 4:01 PM

Fairmont Hotel & Resorts coming to Downtown Phoenix

Pretty exciting a brand like Fairmont is opening up...especially on Jackson St. This should spur some additional development in the Warehouse District. Also, finally some new condos in downtown!!.

I still can't believe Central Station missed out on the hotel portion of the project and wasn't able to line another hotel up after Intercontinental pulled out. Fairmont brand would've been cool in Central Station and would've added the additional height to the project. Oh well. The Blue is going to be an amazing project.

https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/fai...ntown-phoenix/
Quote:

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, part of world leading hospitality group Accor, together with Thunderbird Legacy Development, today announced the signing of definitive agreements for the development and management of a new Fairmont Hotel and Residences in downtown Phoenix. Scheduled to open in early 2025, Fairmont Phoenix will offer a luxury hotel and residential experience unlike anything in the downtown market and will join an impressive portfolio of iconic luxury hotels in North America, including brand flagships such as Fairmont Grand del Mar in San Diego; The Plaza, a Fairmont Managed Hotel in New York City; and the recently reimagined Fairmont Century Plaza in Los Angeles, among others.

We are excited to announce the signing of Fairmont Phoenix, bringing the renowned Fairmont brand to the heart of downtown Phoenix, an epicenter for innovation and growth” commented Heather McCrory, CEO, Accor North & Central America. “This prominent development further positions Accor as a leader in the luxury hotel and branded residences segment as we continue our expansion throughout key North American markets. Fairmont Phoenix will be a prominent addition to the region’s growing luxury portfolio and will provide a unique offering unlike anything in Phoenix.”

Fairmont Phoenix will be located in downtown Phoenix at the southern end of the Central Business District, just a short walk from the Phoenix Convention Center, the sports and entertainment district and the emerging Warehouse District. The 25-story property will feature 225 guestrooms, including 34 suites, and 151 Fairmont branded residences. The generously sized guestrooms will represent the highest quality room in the downtown Phoenix market with sweeping views of downtown, the South Mountains, Tempe, and Camelback Mountain.

The residential element will serve as a luxurious urban sanctuary that includes a unique collection of one-to three-bedroom residences, plus a collection of penthouses, occupying floors 14 to 25 of the building. Homeowners will have exclusive access to their own amenities including an owner’s lounge, outdoor swimming pool and hot tub, fitness center, dedicated parking, a private entrance and more. The residences will represent the first branded-residential condominiums in the central Phoenix market and will be among the most luxurious residential offerings in the city. An interest list for prospective buyers is now forming at FairmontResidencesPhoenix.com with sales expected to begin later this year. Polaris Pacific, the leading real estate sales and marketing group for today’s new residential communities in the western U.S., is spearheading the residential sales and marketing.

PHX06 Jun 2, 2022 4:02 PM

Looks like The Blue is going to be Fairmont Phoenix. See below press release. No groundbreaking date mentioned, but opening is set for 2025.

https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/fai...ntown-phoenix/

Edit: ASU Diablo beat me to it.

Obadno Jun 2, 2022 4:58 PM

The only thing I dont like is that its sort of surrounded by trash/Ghost town.

Why cant they build a nice hotel up on Fillmore or Polk so that its close to all the restaurants and bars.

biggus diggus Jun 2, 2022 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9639533)

Why cant they build a nice hotel up on Fillmore or Polk so that its close to all the restaurants and bars.

Because as we all know the way things are right now is exactly the way they will be forever. :rolleyes:

YourBuddy Jun 2, 2022 5:47 PM

It really wouldn’t take that many new projects and redevelopments south of this project to really improve that area. Not to mention having nice projects like this only increases that likelihood. They obviously see potential in the area putting something of this quality here. It would be nice to see some nice branded condos like this more north as well tho.

I always thought the lots directly north of this would be great for a entertainment area like the deer district in Milwaukee.

combusean Jun 2, 2022 6:43 PM

It's literally a half block away from another hotel going up and a block away from the arena.

Mass market hotels should be on the southern end of downtown to support offices, the convention center, and the arena/stadium. Roosevelt Row is getting generic and gentrified enough on its own without brands like this, especially luxury ones like the Fairmont.

ASU Diablo Jun 2, 2022 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9639671)
It's literally a half block away from another hotel going up and a block away from the arena.

Mass market hotels should be on the southern end of downtown to support offices, the convention center, and the arena/stadium. Roosevelt Row is getting generic and gentrified enough on its own without brands like this, especially luxury ones like the Fairmont.

Agreed. Maybe once Sarver is forced to sell the team (if rumors are true), the new owner (with hopefully deep pockets) can revive the W Hotel on the corner of the arena.

biggus diggus Jun 2, 2022 6:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9639671)

I agree with this statement whole-heartedly. These hotels (fairmont and the like) make their money primarily on business travel.

az_daniel Jun 2, 2022 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9639533)

i think a nice, reputable hotel brand is precisely what the warehouse district needs in order to continue it's turn around. We have seen how quickly other areas have transformed (Fillmore, for example). For a brand like Fairmont to choose this location, to me, shows their confidence in the future of the Warehouse District and Downtown Phoenix in general. Hopefully others follow!

Phxguy Jun 2, 2022 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9639677)
Agreed. Maybe once Sarver is forced to sell the team (if rumors are true), the new owner (with hopefully deep pockets) can revive the W Hotel on the corner of the arena.

Would love to see the W, or some intercontinental hotel brand, built on the ‘VIP’ surface lot Sarver was adamant on creating. Would do wonders bridging people from Cityscape to the Warehouse District once more venues begin opening south of the arena.

downtownphxguy12 Jun 2, 2022 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by az_daniel (Post 9639741)
i think a nice, reputable hotel brand is precisely what the warehouse district needs in order to continue it's turn around. We have seen how quickly other areas have transformed (Fillmore, for example). For a brand like Fairmont to choose this location, to me, shows their confidence in the future of the Warehouse District and Downtown Phoenix in general. Hopefully others follow!

talk about taking a risk and believing in downtown. Just drove by alta warehouse (7th ave and lincoln) and they had now leasing signs up. from lincoln they look ok with brick facade. looks terrible going over train overpass on 7th ave

Seems like they would have to have cheap rents to get people to move into that location. you have to walk though a couple crappy blocks to get anywhere. maybe people would ride their bikes?

ASU Diablo Jun 2, 2022 8:45 PM

Besides The Blue and the Home2Suites Hotel that's currently under construction, what else is being proposed for the Warehouse District?
  • Ballpark Place is wrapping up
  • The recent announcement regarding Union Station but we'll see where this goes
  • I think there was another tower proposed around Jackson and Central? The old Arizona Hardware Supply Co building.
  • Wasn't there supposed to be a Phase 2 or expansion of of Lincoln Union as well? I remember seeing some article about it a couple of months ago... (Edit: Found PAPP 2203761 issued on May 2022)

Curious to see what other developments will be announced in the next couple of years...

biggus diggus Jun 2, 2022 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 (Post 9639807)

Seems like they would have to have cheap rents to get people to move into that location. you have to walk though a couple crappy blocks to get anywhere. maybe people would ride their bikes?

They'll be fine. It sounds like you're projecting your own personal preferences onto the everyday renter; that doesn't work. Most people don't want to walk or ride their bikes and there are 5+ million people here.