SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 851 FT & 765 FT | 73 & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

Mr Downtown Dec 28, 2017 4:52 PM

^Because for most young men, masturbation involves fantasization.

BVictor1 Mar 28, 2018 4:28 AM

400 N. LSD mini info...

Okay, so thi is is what I've heard through more than reputable channels;

-Expect two towers

-I asked if one would be taller than the bKL one in LSE, and was told "way"

-Was mentioned a material not used in almost 100 years would be apart of the project and C. Shawn yelled out 'terra-cotta' and there was no response other than we know too much already. We both said at the same time 'SHoP Architects', and again met with silence.

Curius

Stay tuned for community meetings I'm guessing later this year

PansitPinoy Mar 28, 2018 5:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8135359)
400 N. LSD mini info...

I can't wait..! It's been a long time comin'

left of center Mar 28, 2018 5:21 AM

Quote:

400 N. LSD mini info...

-Expect two towers

-Was mentioned a material not used in almost 100 years would be apart of the project and C. Shawn yelled out 'terra-cotta' and there was no response other than we know too much already. We both said at the same time 'SHoP Architects', and again met with silence.

Curius

Stay tuned for community meetings I'm guessing later this year

Well, this is pretty damn exciting... keep us posted BVic!

Rocket49 Mar 28, 2018 6:20 AM

Quote:

400 N. LSD mini info...

-Expect two towers

Sorry, but which building in Lakeshore East is “bKL one”?

Thanks

BVictor1 Mar 28, 2018 7:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket49 (Post 8135411)
Sorry, but which building in Lakeshore East is “bKL one”?

Thanks

Was referring to the taller proposal in at Wacker & LSD

Skyguy_7 Mar 28, 2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

400 N. LSD mini info...

- Expect two towers

- "way" [taller]

- 'terra-cotta'

- 'SHoP'

Bvic, I'm trying not to get my hopes up because it's all unconfirmed, but you just made my month.

the urban politician Mar 28, 2018 12:11 PM

Nice update, BVictor.

But remember that this is a Related, king of the bait and switch...

KWillChicago Mar 28, 2018 12:16 PM

Official announcement 3rd, 4th quarter this year? Or is this "completely" up in the air. Is it too much to expect 800 feet for both of the two towers?

Bombardier Mar 28, 2018 12:41 PM

^^^^I'll just give you one more tickler... It's not SHoP

rgarri4 Mar 28, 2018 12:46 PM

Great news! 2 towers!

Steely Dan Mar 28, 2018 1:29 PM

Thanks for the insider info, bvic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 8135507)
^^^^I'll just give you one more tickler... It's not SHoP

Is it BIG, as originally speculated back when we started this thread 2.5 years ago?

10023 Mar 28, 2018 2:50 PM

Terracotta could be interesting. Used in conjunction with modern design, or designed as a retro throwback, I wonder.

Is there anything else that could mean?

Bombardier Mar 28, 2018 2:53 PM

^^ Not BIG. Think local, and recognizable for this type of job.

XIII Mar 28, 2018 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 8135655)

Please be Antunovich!

:haha:

gebs Mar 28, 2018 3:08 PM

Quote:

Local firm recognizable for tall residential towers? Studio Gang?

Farther down that list: bKL, SCB, Lagrange?

spyguy Mar 28, 2018 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XIII (Post 8135664)
Please be Antunovich!

:haha:

Perhaps in collaboration with Lucien Lagrange? I'm looking forward to the first megatall with a mansard roof :cheers:

2PRUROCKS! Mar 28, 2018 3:16 PM

Quote:

1st guess Smith+Gill
2nd SOM
3rd Juan
4th Gang
5th P&W
Not crazy about 2 towers for this site but will have to see the design. Terra cotta has been used recently in various paneling systems for cladding so I am not sure that would cut the 100 year remark.

gebs Mar 28, 2018 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! (Post 8135685)
1st guess Smith+Gill
2nd SOM
3rd Juan
4th Gang
5th P&W
Not crazy about 2 towers for this site but will have to see the design. Terra cotta has been used recently in various paneling systems for cladding so I am not sure that would cut the 100 year remark.

Smith/Gill and SOM are good guesses, given that Related hired former SOM-architect Mike Pfeffer not too long ago.

Notyrview Mar 28, 2018 3:46 PM

Wood. Related is going to yet slash costs more by building the first wooden supertall + mansard roof made of clay.

HomrQT Mar 28, 2018 5:09 PM

Super exciting news. Two towers does seem reasonable for the site (though I'd prefer one giant monster tower). If the main tower could still be 2000+ feet that would be fantastic.

https://i.imgur.com/DtKGWKg.jpg

BraveNewWorld Mar 28, 2018 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 8135673)
Perhaps in collaboration with Lucien Lagrange? I'm looking forward to the first megatall with a mansard roof :cheers:

Can you imagine the nightmare that’d be? 😂

My guess is SOM for this and like 1,272 feet. Thought if it’s terra cotta I’m not totally sure I could see them doing that.

Kngkyle Mar 28, 2018 5:48 PM

Hope for something that can punch through our growing 1150 ft roof height plateau.

Freefall Mar 28, 2018 7:11 PM

Might as well make it 1,451

"If you're going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big" - POTUS' ghost writer

r18tdi Mar 28, 2018 7:51 PM

I was really hoping for BIG or ZHA. But SOM/AS+GG are certainly up to the task.

left of center Mar 28, 2018 9:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8135874)
Super exciting news. Two towers does seem reasonable for the site (though I'd prefer one giant monster tower). If the main tower could still be 2000+ feet that would be fantastic.

I was never a fan of a 2000 ft tower at this location. From the lake, and Navy Pier, it would totally overpower the skyline. Chicago's skyline is all about balance. Something between 1200 and 1500 ft would be dope though. Two towers in that height range would be insane.

Kngkyle Mar 28, 2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8136234)
I was never a fan of a 2000 ft tower at this location. From the lake, and Navy Pier, it would totally overpower the skyline.

So did every building that has ever broken a height record. The Empire State Building in New York. The Sears Tower in Chicago. If 'overpowering the skyline' was a valid argument then we would have no skyscrapers today. Why this argument is still propagated around here bewilders me.

rgarri4 Mar 28, 2018 11:30 PM

From the lake and Navy Pier this site lands somewhat in the center of the skyline so I'm not seeing how a tall tower here would unbalance the skyline. It would be the high point of the mountain of towes.

And terracotta hasn't been used in 100 years? That can't be right.

230Roberto Mar 28, 2018 11:57 PM

For me anything below 1500ft for this site is disappointing. This is one of the most valuable sites in the U.S. And the only chance for Chicago to have a 1500 footer for the next decade or 2

Steely Dan Mar 29, 2018 12:53 AM

^ then in that case set your phaser to disappointment.

I'll be very surprised if related goes north of 1,500' here.

Afterall, we're talking about Related. R - E - L - A - T - E - D.

Baronvonellis Mar 29, 2018 1:10 AM

Are there any examples of recent skyscrapers using terra-cota? I'm trying to picture what that would be like. I can only think of classical and art-deco buildings with terra-cota.

Fvn Mar 29, 2018 1:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 8136461)
Are there any examples of recent skyscrapers using terra-cota? I'm trying to picture what that would be like. I can only think of classical and art-deco buildings with terra-cota.

111 w 57th in NY

sentinel Mar 29, 2018 1:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 230Roberto (Post 8136374)
For me anything below 1500ft for this site is disappointing. This is one of the most valuable sites in the U.S. And the only chance for Chicago to have a 1500 footer for the next decade or 2

That’s silly; Personally, I’d be thrilled with even a 1,200’ tall building if it was well-designed....but then again, my number is just as arbitrary as yours, so, oh well..

Khantilever Mar 29, 2018 1:46 AM

They already have the foundation to support something ridiculously tall, so it would be strange to me if they didn’t take full advantage of it.

Others can speak more on this issue, but isn’t the foundation the most significant cost element to going that high? Of course there are other marginal costs to additional height—e.g. less usable floor space on lower levels, maybe more complicated logistics—but those seem relatively inconsequential. But maybe I’m wrong.

Kumdogmillionaire Mar 29, 2018 2:00 AM

Quote:

I was never a fan of a 2000 ft tower at this location. From the lake, and Navy Pier, it would totally overpower the skyline. Chicago's skyline is all about balance. Something between 1200 and 1500 ft would be dope though. Two towers in that height range would be insane.

You saved me from typing out my exact thought. If it's taller than Sears then I'll be ecstatic, but I'd take a couple well designed true supertalls over one big sky penis.

HomrQT Mar 29, 2018 2:39 AM

Quote:

I thought because of its relatively centered location East/West in relation to the downtown area it did bring a balance to the skyline

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vGwCDm3r3m8/maxresdefault.jpg

http://cdn.coda-craven.org/wp-conten...d-1280x800.jpg

And from a North/South viewing it sort of bookended the skyline to the lake.

http://s25.postimg.org/r1bj94edr/IMG...608_212206.jpg

https://www.designboom.com/tools/WPr...s/11y/cal1.jpg

When the Sears Tower and JHC were built, they were said to stick out until the city filled in more around them. This site already has some momentum behind it. I hope they go bigger than 1500'.

HomrQT Mar 29, 2018 2:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fvn (Post 8136468)
111 w 57th in NY

If we got something the quality and scope of this building I'm sure we'd all be happy.

BraveNewWorld Mar 29, 2018 6:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8136561)
It's one of them, but not the only one.

I'm not expecting 1,500 feet, but ~1,250 would be rad. If it's the second highest roof in Chicago that'd be great.

This is my thought exactly. If it’s 1300-1400 feet it’ll look like the tallest building in the skyline from the lake front. It’d be the biggest game changer since the Sears tower. Tribune tower is also going up at about 1,400 ft if that stay the same. So this could be incredible.

10023 Mar 29, 2018 7:25 AM

Why is everyone so focused on the view from the lake?

Yes that’s the postcard shot, but most people most of the time are actually viewing the skyline from the other direction. It’s the view from the Kennedy that really counts.

denizen467 Mar 29, 2018 7:40 AM

Shouldn't be too long now. Rumor from about a month ago (sorry, I have been out of town a lot lately) was that official news can be expected before late spring.

Design firm's name will not break any past precedents here, but their approach to this particular project might.

HomrQT Mar 29, 2018 1:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8136741)

Yes that’s the postcard shot, but most people most of the time are actually viewing the skyline from the other direction. It’s the view from the Kennedy that really counts.

With it still being mostly centered in our skyline I think it looks balanced from either way.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/1CQu....00_20AM.0.png

gebs Mar 29, 2018 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8136848)
With it still being mostly centered in our skyline I think it looks balanced from either way.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/1CQu....00_20AM.0.png

If you were to add One Bennett Park, Vista, and Wolf Point South, then it really makes the center the new peak, pulling attention away from the N/S extremes. It's a literal transformation of the skyline in 10 years.

cannedairspray Mar 29, 2018 2:19 PM

^To the point that if you erased Sears from skyline and history, and then proposed it now in 2018, people might find it odd to have such a tall building so far to the south. Transit nodes notwithstanding.

harryc Mar 29, 2018 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8136741)

Sorry it is the view from the El that counts !

Kenmore Mar 29, 2018 2:41 PM

there are so many units coming online in the next year, really feel like this is still a full cycle off

HomrQT Mar 29, 2018 3:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8136875)
If you were to add One Bennett Park, Vista, and Wolf Point South, then it really makes the center the new peak, pulling attention away from the N/S extremes. It's a literal transformation of the skyline in 10 years.

Also the new Tribune building and of course the Trump Tower. I understand it's not likely that a 2000 footer is headed to the former Spire site. But it really would not be out of place or throw off the balance of the skyline.

10023 Mar 29, 2018 3:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8136909)
Sorry it is the view from the El that counts !

I’m a transit fan too, but that diagonal angle is the best...

http://assets.diningchicago.com/medi...jpg?1484505943

XIII Mar 29, 2018 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenmore (Post 8136924)
there are so many units coming online in the next year, really feel like this is still a full cycle off

Maybe. Business relocations are driving some serious downtown unit demand so the building may continue for a bit longer to keep up with corporate investment downtown.

Quote:

Chicago has thrived in the globalized world—at least on a superficial level. The evidence is everywhere, from the gleaming office towers and condos going up alongside the river to the prosperous international companies like Motorola Solutions, the whiskey giant Beam Suntory, and GE Healthcare that have relocated their headquarters to downtown. In May, the unemployment rate for the Chicago metropolitan area sank to 4.1 percent, the lowest since the government started tracking it in 1976. (It has since ticked back up to 5.3 percent.) Almost one-quarter of households in the city of Chicago earned more than $100,000 a year in 2016, according to census data. These factors are part of why Chicago was one of just four U.S. cities to be named one of PricewaterhouseCoopers’s “Cities of Opportunity,” in its periodic report on places that foster economic innovation and “common wellbeing.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...overty/556649/

rgarri4 Mar 29, 2018 5:04 PM

Here's some massing done at 1,500 feet. Some angles it looks amazing, others not as much an impact. 2,000 feet would fix a lot of that but that's probably wishful thinking.

https://images2.imgbox.com/80/70/tus18uXu_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/6f/fc/okRnlWJX_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/1f/c7/akOjYtus_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/f4/a5/131ZlIK2_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/11/4f/yk1E9PJP_o.jpg

Kumdogmillionaire Mar 29, 2018 5:22 PM

My favorite view will always be the one coming from the South no the Dan Ryan/I90, but I'm biased as that was my view whenever I would come back home from school. Regardless, those hypothetical renderings of the skyline in 5-6 years make me as excited as a fat kid left alone in a candy shop. Oh boyyyyyy here we come.