SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

gymratmanaz Dec 24, 2009 10:22 PM

Better get your girlfriend a damn nice gift Vicelord!!!!! :) :) :)

DowntownDweller Dec 25, 2009 4:34 AM

Anybody know what the building they dug an absolutely massive hole under on the SW corner of 16th St. and Osborn is going to end up looking like?

Tfom Dec 26, 2009 6:03 PM

Hey guys. I ran into a friend of mine and found out she is working, among other things, to make sure the civic park is promoted and used among the community. I told her I would forward any information about upcoming events to people I knew who may be interested. Below is the schedule of events for Jan/Feb. They want as many people as possible to attend (obviously).

Also, the park has a Facebook page that is unrelated to these events but does advertise other things. If you didn't already know, that web address is http://www.facebook.com/civicspace

Edit: Totally unrelated and I hope I'm not breaking a forum rule but I am desperately searching for someone to rent a room in my house. 16th Ave and McDowell in Fairview Place neighborhood. It is reasonably priced and drama free. PM me if you or someone you know might be interested.

Name of Event: Civic Space Jam – Downtown DJs in the Park
Description: Civic Space Jam is a “park jam” in the Downtown Civic Space Park on the third Sunday of each month. Join local DJs and other beat oriented artists in the park for music, dancing and more!
Ticket prices: FREE
Day and time of the event: Sunday, January 17, 2010; 4:00-9:00 p.m.
Total of Attendees:
Names of sponsoring organizations:
Public contact information (Phone Website): Laci Lester laci@azfairtrade.com 602-496-1268

Name of Event: Film @ Civic Space Park – MLK Celebration

Description: In partnership with HandsOn Greater Phoenix, Karuna Village Fair Trade, City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department, ASU College of Public Programs, and The Fair Trade Store hosts the ITVS Community Cinema presentation of the film Garbage Dreams.

Welcome to the world's largest garbage village located on the outskirts of Cairo, Egypt. The Zaballeen (Arabic for garbage people) recycle 80 percent of the trash they collect - far more than other recycling initiatives. But now a multi-national corporation threatens their livelihood. Follow three teenage boys born into the business who are forced to make choices that will impact the survival of their community. Stick around after the film for a discussion about social and environmental justice topics including poverty, fair trade, recycling, and more. View the trailer: http://www.garbagedreams.com
Ticket prices: Free
Day and time of the event: January 16, 2010; 5:30 p.m.
Total of Attendees: 275
Names of sponsoring organizations: HandsOn Greater Phoenix, Karuna Village Fair Trade, City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department, ASU College of Public Programs, KAET Ei8ht
Public contact information (Phone Website): http://handsonphoenix.org, 602-973-2212

Name of Event: Lunch Unplugged @ Civic Space Park

Description: “Lunch Unplugged” would is a weekly music showcase in the Civic Space Park featuring a variety of local Metro Phoenix musicians playing acoustic and rhythmic music during lunch.
Location: Downtown Civic Space Park outdoor stage, 424. N Central Avenue
Day and time of the event: Thursdays, Beginning January 28, 2010 – April 29, 2010
Total of Attendees:
Names of sponsoring organizations: City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department, The Fair Trade Store, Radio Phoenix
Public contact information (Phone Website): Laci Lester, laci@azfairtrade.com, 602-496-1268

Name of Event: Community Yoga Project

Description: The Community Yoga Project is a seva (sanskrit for free/ giving back) presented by teachers from all parts of the Metro Phoenix Area. Join this practice in the beautiful Civic Space Park. This class is perfect for those who want to try yoga for the first time or those who want to expand their practice into the flourishing urban setting of Downtown Phoenix. Participants should bring their own yoga mat, towel or blanket.
Day and time of the event: Saturdays, 10:00- 11:00 a.m.
Total of Attendees: 50
Names of sponsoring organizations: The Fair Trade Store, City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department, ASU College of Public Programs,
Public contact information (Phone Website): Laci Lester, laci@azfairtrade.com, 602-496-1268

BrandonJXN Dec 26, 2009 8:44 PM

Civic Space would be a hell of a place to throw a rave.

Vicelord John Dec 26, 2009 9:00 PM

the colors man... the colors.... they are going to get me!

gymratmanaz Dec 26, 2009 10:50 PM

Happy 3,000 John. Missed it by 1, but happy 3,001!!! :)

Vicelord John Dec 26, 2009 10:56 PM

hmmmmm

thanks.... I was going to do a full downtown photo shoot for 3,000... I guess I'll have to wait a bit.

I will though post a shoot when I get my new toy this week.

gymratmanaz Dec 26, 2009 11:45 PM

Merry Christmas camera?????

Vicelord John Dec 27, 2009 12:02 AM

no I have a nice enough body....

I'm going W I D E !

gymratmanaz Dec 27, 2009 12:55 AM

Large and in charge!!!

Vicelord John Dec 27, 2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4623778)
no I have a nice enough body....

I'm going W I D E !

HAHAHA!

I just re-read this.

gymratmanaz Dec 27, 2009 2:06 AM

caught your own unintentional funny?!!! :)

HooverDam Jan 3, 2010 9:35 AM

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...8/daily51.html

Quote:

Plaza Cos. sells bio plaza to UA for $9.85M
Phoenix Business Journal - by Angela Gonzales

Plaza Cos. has sold Phoenix Biomedical Plaza to University of Arizona Foundation for $9.85 million, after it paid Ribomed Biotechnologies Inc. about $10 million two years ago for the 2.62-acre parcel.

The property, which includes a vacant 33,000-square-foot biomedical building, sits on the northeast corner of Van Buren and Seventh streets, just across the street from the Phoenix Biomedical Campus. That campus houses the medical school jointly developed by UA and Arizona State University as well as the headquarters of the Translational Genomics Research Institute.

UA also is planning to develop a cancer center on or near the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, but officials could not be reached to determine if the former Ribomed property will be used to develop the cancer center. Originally, officials were targeting property north of the campus.

Michelle Hanna, president and CEO of Ribomed, had operated her headquarters there as well as a small incubator for other biomedical startups until she moved to San Diego in 2007.

Sharon Harper, president and CEO of Plaza Cos., originally had planned to demolish the aging structure to build a biomedical plaza.

She said it fit into UA’s expansion plans for its medical school across the street on the downtown Phoenix Biomedical Campus.

Harper said it is too early to say whether her company will have a role in developing the UA property.

“The Plaza Cos. has been dedicated to the vision of creating a world class research and academic medical center in downtown Phoenix and looks forward to working with the University of Arizona to ensure and support opportunities with the project,” Harper said.

She said UA will use the 33,000-square-foot structure for science and research purposes until the property is redeveloped.

UA officials could not be reached for comment.
So it sounds like we won't be seeing much development on that parcel for a while. :(

EDIT: Do we not have a special biomed campus thread? I looked, didn't see one. Maybe we need one but as slow as its been, probably not. Hmmm.

PhxMatt Jan 6, 2010 1:40 AM

An artical on the downtownphoenixjournal.com website about the 7th Ave and McDowell; mentions the SEC building being redone by Viking Properties.

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...-ave-mcdowell/

The timing of the smashburger site seems right based on what I have heard about issues getting the financing together to purchase the building; a friend mentioned the Antique store staying until at least May...

Vicelord John Jan 6, 2010 3:00 AM

Did anyone else notice they built a new culvers at 8st and camelback? It showed up overnight.

PartyLine Jan 6, 2010 4:54 AM

They have good custard lol not crazy about their burgers though to small

HX_Guy Jan 6, 2010 8:42 PM

Staff requests the Downtown, Aviation and Economy Subcommittee recommend City Council authorization for the City to issue a Request for Proposals (RFP) and to negotiate business terms for the private development of a laboratory and research facility and/or development of an approximately 1,000 space parking structure on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus (PBC).

THE ISSUE

Due to the success of the tenants in the TGen facility, the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix in partnership with Arizona State University, the Arizona Biomedical Collaborative I (ABC I) projects, and the planned development of the Health Science Education Building (HSEB) and Arizona Biomedical Collaborative II (ABC II) facility, significant demand has been created for development of a research facility and a parking structure. The Comprehensive Master Development Plan adopted by City Council in 2007, calls for more than six million square feet (SF) of academic, clinical and research space on the PBC.

The City-owned TGen facility, which opened in 2005, took less than three years to become 100 percent occupied. Due to interest from the private sector and demand for additional research space by the universities and tenants within the TGen facility, staff is requesting authorization for the issuance of a RFP for a research laboratory facility for institutional, academic and private biomedical users. Staff has identified the approximately 25,000 SF site located between the TGen and ABC I facilities along 5th Street for this development opportunity. The RFP will include language stating preference will be given to proposals that incorporate ground level retail and below grade parking.

With planned development underway for HSEB and ABC II, current surface parking on the PBC is insufficient to accommodate additional users. The RFP will also seek proposals for the development of a 1,000 space parking structure which maximizes development of the site by incorporating active uses other than parking and addresses all four sides of the structure by upholstery development, structural screening, ground floor retail or other pedestrian active uses or a combination thereof.

Potential proposers will have the option to propose on either of the development opportunities. The RFP criteria will include requirements for a non-refundable performance deposit and language addressing performance benchmarks to ensure timely completion of the proposed projects.

RECOMMENDATION:

Staff requests the Downtown, Aviation and Economy Subcommittee recommend City Council authorization for the department to issue a joint Request for Proposals (RFP) and to negotiate business terms for the private development of a laboratory and research facility and/or development of an approximately 1,000 space parking structure on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus (PBC).

Vicelord John Jan 6, 2010 10:01 PM

a big parking structure on that parcel could prove to be a nice picture location. :)

gymratmanaz Jan 6, 2010 10:19 PM

This is very encouraging!

Luke Skyscraper Jan 6, 2010 10:40 PM

Why only 25K square feet? If they plan on putting 6M sf in this small biomedical campus parcel, they had better start building (and thinking) much bigger- and plan for the future.
TGEN has proven the biomedical demand DT, and was filled in 3 years. Phoenix needs to do better that to keep adding new 2 story buildings on valuable DT property (ala Cityscape retail). Large tracts of open land are becoming scarcer DT. Where is the "visionary development" we heard so much about when the Mayor visited Dubai?
When the economy rebounds, folks will be wishing they were laying the groundwork now and thinking bigger and better!:shrug:

plinko Jan 6, 2010 10:56 PM

^It's a 25,000SF site, not building...

It doesn't mention how large the site for the parking garage would be. An efficient garage is about 375SF per space. A 1,000 car garage could easily be 8-10 stories on a constrained site.

combusean Jan 8, 2010 2:47 PM

For clarification, because I missed it too.

Quote:

Due to interest from the private sector and demand for additional research space by the universities and tenants within the TGen facility, staff is requesting authorization for the issuance of a RFP for a research laboratory facility for institutional, academic and private biomedical users.

Staff has identified the approximately 25,000 SF site located between the TGen and ABC I facilities along 5th Street for this development opportunity.

The RFP will include language stating preference will be given to proposals that incorporate ground level retail and below grade parking.

With planned development underway for HSEB and ABC II, current surface parking on the PBC is insufficient to accommodate additional users. The RFP will also seek proposals for the development of a 1,000 space parking structure which maximizes development of the site by incorporating active uses other than parking and addresses all four sides of the structure by upholstery development, structural screening, ground floor retail or other pedestrian active uses or a combination thereof.
So basically they've identified a 25,000 sqft building site with its own parking below grade. The garage site is separate.

Since there is never an RFP without a developer already favored, I'd like to think something good and real will come out of this soon.

plinko Jan 8, 2010 8:21 PM

^Exactly. I had to read it about three times as well to figure out that they were talking about two separate projects.

HX_Guy Jan 8, 2010 8:26 PM

Some more information about the Bio-Med campus...

Quote:

UA's Phoenix campus gets regents' OK for expansion
EDUCATION/RESEARCH

Published on Friday, January 08, 2010
The University of Arizona’s College of Medicine in Phoenix, a partnership with Arizona State University, received the endorsment from the state Board of Regents for a $187 million expansion.

At its Dec. 4 meeting, the board approved the plans to build a 268,000 square-foot health sciences education building and other improvements on the Biomedical Campus in downtown Phoenix.

The expansion will allow the medical school to train more physicians and strengthen the presence of the UA College of Pharmacy on the campus.

The expansion. which has already been been approved by the Legislature and governor, still must be approved by the state’s Joint Committee on Capital Review, which convenes this week.
Quote:

Purchase gives UA more options for downtown campus
Phoenix Business Journal - by Angela Gonzales

The University of Arizona paid $9.85 million for 2.6 acres across the street from the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, where it already is planning more than $300 million in expansion projects.

The Plaza Cos. sold the property to the UA Foundation after it paid RiboMed Biotechnologies Inc. about $10 million two years ago for the parcel.

Having the additional space will give UA more options for developing biomedical facilities as part of the campus.

The downtown Phoenix property, which includes a vacant 33,000-square-foot biomedical building, sits on the northeast corner of Van Bur­en and Seventh streets.

UA is planning to develop a $140 million cancer center on or near the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, and it is working with the other two state universities to build a $187 million Health Sciences Education Building on the campus.

The campus already houses the UA College of Medicine–Phoenix, in partnership with Arizona State University, as well as the headquarters of the Translational Genomics Research Institute.

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon said he envisions medical offices, research facilities and classroom space on UA’s new site once the vacant building is razed. To connect that property to the Biomedical Campus, Gordon would like to see an enclosed bridge over Seventh Street at the very least. Ideally, he would like to see the education building connected to the former Plaza Cos. site with a structure that includes office space stretching over Seventh Street.

He also noted that ASU now owns the rights to use the Phoenix Preparatory Academy at 735 E. Fillmore St., just south of the former Plaza Cos. site, so there are more possibilities for expansion.

“That will just propel us,” Gordon said.

He expects construction to begin within six months.

Nearly $2 million in bond funding had been set aside for expansion. With Phoenix City Council approval, that money could be used for the construction project on UA’s newly acquired plot.

Dave Harris, senior project manager for the Arizona Biomedical Collaborative, a consortium of the three state universities formed to develop the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, said UA is considering all of its options.

UA will use the former Plaza Cos. location temporarily as wet lab space, and later as construction headquarters when the $187 million Health Sciences Education Building is started.

Last month, the Arizona Board of Regents endorsed the expansion plan, which will allow the medical school to train more physicians and strengthen the presence of the UA College of Pharmacy and other health-related colleges on the campus. Plans call for expanding the current class size of 48 medical students to at least 110 a year.

The expansion was approved twice by the Arizona Legislature and signed by the governor, but still must be reviewed by the Joint Committee on Capital Review before ground can be broken. The committee is scheduled to meet early this year to address the project.

Additionally, Harris is negotiating with the Arizona Center at Van Buren and Fifth streets to lease between 10,000 and 20,000 square feet on the third floor as temporary space for the cancer center.

Michelle Hanna, CEO of RiboMed, moved to San Diego in 2007 after selling her company’s former headquarters to the Plaza Cos. Sharon Harper, president and CEO of Plaza Cos., originally planned to demolish the aging structure to build a biomedical plaza.

Harper said it fit into UA’s expansion plans for its medical school across the street, but she said it’s too early to say whether her company will have a role in developing the UA property.

“The Plaza Cos. has been dedicated to the vision of creating a world-class research and academic medical center in downtown Phoenix, and looks forward to working with the University of Arizona to ensure and support opportunities with the project,” she said.

Robert Green, president and CEO of the Arizona BioIndustry Association, said the project proposed by Plaza Cos. would have been a terrific addition to the Phoenix Biomedical Campus.

“But in these difficult economic times, plans change,” he said. “Fortunately, with the property’s purchase by the University of Arizona Foundation, the new owner has a continuing stake in maintaining the biomedical character of the area and retains the prospect that this property will be used for educational, research and/or health care purposes. This is a positive outcome under these circumstances.”

Vicelord John Jan 8, 2010 9:34 PM

so put it in lehman's terms. What are they going to build on the NEC of 7/VB??

Leo the Dog Jan 9, 2010 2:35 AM

More parking to DT Phx, just what this city needs.

combusean Jan 9, 2010 12:33 PM

The Joint Committee on Capital Review has been scheduled to hear it forever. The Giant Douchemonger from Mesa Russsel Pearce chairs it, and hates ASU and anything related to spending money for it.

I'd give about a 10% chance of this project moving forward.

Leo the Dog Jan 11, 2010 4:00 AM

More bad news for Phx.

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...ldata0111.html

Quote:

In Valley, 80 mil square ft. of business space is vacant
16 comments by J. Craig Anderson - Jan. 11, 2011 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
The Valley's real estate boom-and-bust cycle left an almost unimaginable 80 million square feet of excess office, retail and industrial space on the rental market at the close of 2009 - the rough equivalent of 1,600 football fields.

The unprecedented oversupply of commercial real estate sent vacancy rates soaring in all categories, while lease prices tumbled, according to reports from area commercial real-estate firms.

Market analysts said the oversupply problem is going to get worse before it gets better, although few new projects are planned beyond those started before the market took a dive.

About one-quarter of metro Phoenix's rentable office space, or nearly 20 million square feet, sat vacant at the end of 2009, according to Phoenix-based Cassidy Turley/BRE Commercial - formerly Grubb & Ellis - the Valley's largest commercial property broker.

There was almost as much unused retail space on the market, about 17 million square feet, Phoenix brokerage CB Richard Ellis reported, including more than 8 million square feet of empty "big-box" retail, defined as spaces of 10,000 square feet or more.

Industrial and warehouse properties finished the year with about 43 million square feet of vacant space on the market, nearly 17 million of it in empty distribution centers, CB Richard Ellis reported.

"As 2009 closed, the metropolitan Phoenix economy continued to feel the effect of the recession as both the commercial and residential real-estate markets were impacted by the deepest recession since the Great Depression," Jeff Cooledge, firm research manager, reported.

The vacancy rate for office properties was about 25 percent as of Dec. 31, compared with about 19 percent a year earlier, the report said.

The vacancy rate for retail properties ballooned from less than 8 percent at the end of 2008 to more than 11 percent, and industrial-property vacancy jumped from 13 percent to 16 percent.

As a result, lease rates for all property types plummeted.

The average office lease rate dropped by 10 percent to about $23 per square foot annually. The average retail rate fell about 9 percent to just above $17, while the average industrial lease rate dipped about 15 percent to 56 cents.

Another 1.4 million square feet of office space still is under construction and expected to hit the market this quarter, CB Richard Ellis reported. As of Friday, only about 300,000 square feet of the soon-to-open space had been pre-leased.

About 760,000 square feet of retail space was under construction at the end of 2009, along with roughly 870,000 square feet of industrial space.

Once those projects are completed, developers aren't likely to build much for years to come, local experts said.

"In an overbuilt market, any new construction is not expected for some time," Cooledge said. "The lack of office development is not new to the metro Phoenix market, as no new product was built between 1992 and 1995."

Edifice Jan 11, 2010 4:15 AM

Long Wait Ahead

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 4644197)

Unfortunately, it's going to be a very, very long time before any new projects pop up. Nobody will be proposing or building for several years, if not longer.

glynnjamin Jan 11, 2010 2:26 PM

I'll try and look at this as a positive. If you are a large business paying high rents in a place like LA...why wouldn't you move your business to Phoenix where you could get primo real estate for a fraction of the cost? In other words, take the principles that dictated people from CA moving here to buy homes and apply it to the commercial market. I'd argue that if the city could market itself properly, they might be able to sway a fair amount of large businesses to either open new branches here or to relocate. Labor sure is cheaper here.

Leo the Dog Jan 11, 2010 2:31 PM

While good to remain optimistic, I wouldn't hold your breath. The companies with the money are going to stay in CA. Just like NYC, there isn't an exodus to Pittsburgh because NY is expensive.

HooverDam Jan 11, 2010 2:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynnjamin (Post 4644611)
I'll try and look at this as a positive. If you are a large business paying high rents in a place like LA...why wouldn't you move your business to Phoenix where you could get primo real estate for a fraction of the cost? In other words, take the principles that dictated people from CA moving here to buy homes and apply it to the commercial market. I'd argue that if the city could market itself properly, they might be able to sway a fair amount of large businesses to either open new branches here or to relocate. Labor sure is cheaper here.

Sadly I think a lack of civic leadership (both private and public) will severely limit the chances of this happening.

glynnjamin Jan 11, 2010 4:23 PM

Actually a lot of financial institutions moved to Pittsburgh for that very reason. I think when you are comparing NYC to PIT you are talking about completely different leagues than when you compare LA and PHX. While we don't have a the massive culture that LA does, we share things like being car-friendly and having a large international airport. I'm not sure but I don't think you can fly to London direct from Pittsburgh but I think you can get to Japan from Phx without making a stop. Maybe I'm wrong. It seems to me the movie industry has started to do a lot more out here because it is cheaper and because of the short commute between LA and Phx. I don't know, I don't own a big business and have no idea how to run it. But Hoover is probably right - we lack the civic leadership to get anything like that done.

Vicelord John Jan 11, 2010 4:32 PM

oh my god, two large cities that both have an international airport? Get the fuck out.....

Incase you didn't notice, that was sarcasm. Nobody is going to leave Houston for Abeline, either.

HooverDam Jan 11, 2010 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynnjamin (Post 4644721)
It seems to me the movie industry has started to do a lot more out here because it is cheaper and because of the short commute between LA and Phx.

Working in said industry, its actually been horribly slow this past year. We've had some TV shows, commercials, et al but in feature films New Mexico is absolutely kicking our asses, a lot of stuff gets shot there. They have much more aggressive public leadership in regards to getting the film business to come there and more support for their tax credit. Sadly Arizona should have natural advantages over them, being closer to LA, a more diverse climate (means you can shoot almost anything but a beach centric movie here), and a bigger population (means more crew, extras, et al).

Just in the past few years they've shot all 3 High School Musicals, Emplyee of the Month, Did you Hear about the Morgans?, Little Miss Sunshine, The Hills Have Eyes, Observe and Report, 2010, 3:10 To Yuma (set in Yuma, Arizona!), The Book of Eli, Brothers, No Country for Old Men, Jarhead, The Longest Yard, Hamlet 2 (set in Tucson, Arizona!), Gamer, Rent, The Spy Next Door, Terminator Salvation, both Transformers movies, Wild Hogs and Year One either partially or totally in New Mexico.

All of those films employ hundreds of local workers who then buy local products (and pay sales tax), buy property (and pay tax), etc. Plus its good for the tourism industry (something Arizona should want) and is a non polluting/'green' industry. All of those flicks could've been shot in AZ, there's no reason they had to be in New Mexico other than their leaders are aggressively pursuing them.

phxgreenfire Jan 11, 2010 5:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynnjamin (Post 4644721)
I'm not sure but I don't think you can fly to London direct from Pittsburgh but I think you can get to Japan from Phx without making a stop. Maybe I'm wrong.

You can't. London is the only city outside of North America with non-stop service to Phoenix. US Airways is contemplating a route to Tokyo though.

courtjester Jan 12, 2010 12:06 AM

Downtown PHX zoning meeting schedule.

Pulled from downtownvoices.org...

Phoenix seeks public input on Downtown Code[Source: City of Phoenix] – The city of Phoenix Planning Department is seeking input on the city’s proposed Downtown Code. The Downtown Code, which is part of the Phoenix Zoning Ordinance, addresses design that impacts the public by establishing standards and guidelines that will allow projects to develop over time. It does not dictate architectural style. The code will be presented at the following locales:

6 p.m. Monday, Jan. 11, Central City Village Planning Committee, Emerson Court, 1817 N. Seventh St., School District Board Room;
6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 13, Planning Commission, Phoenix City Council Chambers, 200 W. Jefferson St.;
4:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 25, Historic Preservation Commission, Phoenix City Hall, 200 W. Washington St., assembly room A;
3 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 3 at Phoenix City Council Formal Meeting, Phoenix City Council Chambers, 200 W. Jefferson St.
The remapping of the area to change the zoning to the proposed Character Areas will follow in March 2010.

The Downtown Code implements the vision, goals, and policies of the Downtown Phoenix Plan and establishes the physical environment to create a pedestrian-oriented center. The code applies to all land uses, subdivisions, and development within the area generally bounded by McDowell Road, Seventh Street, Buckeye Road, and Seventh Avenue. The code can be downloaded here: http://phoenix.gov/urbanformproject/dtcode.html.

Comments can be submitted by contacting Planning Manager Carol Johnson at 602-261-8289.

http://downtownvoices.org/2010/01/09...downtown-code/

HooverDam Jan 12, 2010 4:41 AM

^I've been going to those, I really hope you'll all show up, I need more people to help me fight the good fight. This is your chance to talk with city planners and give them the ole what for (and Carol Johnson is a super nice lady who actually listens) and hopefully make some positive changes. Come to the meeting and say hi, Ill be the loud Ron Howard lookin' feller.

Related...Downtown Voices is having a big event this weekend Im going to attend and you all should too:

http://downtownvoices.org/2010/01/08...nce-jan-15-16/
Quote:

Downtown Voices Coalition to hold 5-year retrospective and visioning conference
, Jan. 15-16
Downtown Voices Coalition invites you to attend an open, facilitated, and collegial discussion on what has been accomplished in our downtown and what remains to be done. Five years ago, Downtown Voices held a visioning session, created a “white paper,” and formalized as an organization. Since then, it has participated in many issues and “battles” with much progress made, but with some losses. Now is a good time to move forward with the greater community to re-examine our priorities — what was, is, and can be.

A facilitated, collegial discussion of the way forward for downtown Phoenix. Open to the public. Reservations required for Saturday, January 16 activity.

Opening Reception & Happy Hour ~ “A Look Back”

Date: Friday, January 15, 2010
Time: 5-7 p.m.
Place: Matador Mexican Restaurant, 125 E. Adams St., Phoenix, AZ 85004-2331, (602) 254-7563
Features: Complimentary appetizers, no host cocktails, introduction to visioning conference, and special presentations
Visioning Conference ~ “Looking Forward”

Date: Saturday, January 16, 2010
Time: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (registration 9:30 a.m.)
Place: Historic A.E. England Building, Downtown Civic Space, 424 N. Central Ave., Phoenix AZ 85004
Transportation: Use Park & Ride and Light Rail to Van Buren Station; free parking on lot adjacent to the ASU Walter Cronkite School of Journalism & Mass Communication
RSVP to Kim Kasper by e-mail if you plan to attend

johnnyb588 Jan 13, 2010 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4644741)
oh my god, two large cities that both have an international airport? Get the fuck out.....

Incase you didn't notice, that was sarcasm. Nobody is going to leave Houston for Abeline, either.

You left out the descriptive words "tasteless" and "arrogant" before "sarcasm." Don't worry, I caught the mistake.

While I think it's wrong to think there will be a mass exodus from LA, I don't think it's absurd to think some businesses may trickle over if city officials can get a little more strategic with tax breaks and incentives. For those businesses that don't need to travel internationally on a regular basis with nonstops across the Pacific, Phoenix might be a good place to relocate a business struggling to keep up with lease payments or looking to expand.

I know being a douche is the way you like to operate, but it's really not lunacy to suggest some businesses might consider relocation from LA to Phoenix.

SethAZ Jan 14, 2010 5:57 AM

The business I'm in moved from downtown San Francisco to Oakland, then moved most of the Oakland people to Phoenix, specifically because it was cheaper to do business here. And APL left a prominent location in Oakland and moved to Scottsdale. I realize this is all anecdotal evidence, but it is evidence that companies do relocate to Phoenix for economic reasons.

Vicelord John Jan 14, 2010 6:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb588 (Post 4648548)
I know being a douche is the way you like to operate, but it's really not lunacy to suggest some businesses might consider relocation from LA to Phoenix.

I think you're confusing "douche" with "rational."

Vicelord John Jan 15, 2010 3:00 AM

go suns!!!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...a/DSC_2500.jpg

HooverDam Jan 16, 2010 3:39 AM

Just a reminder, the Downtown Phx Voice Coalition 5 year visioning update is tomorrow at the AE England building. Its from 10AM-3pm I believe, or whenever it finishes/you have to leave to go watch the Cardinals. I really hope some of you from here go, I know at times it can seem like so much pissing in the wind but it is at least slightly more effective than us bitching to each other here. Planners and people from the city will be there and they do end up looking at whatever plan is drafted. More importantly its a great way to network and maybe actually get involved in some projects that can actually make a difference downtown. At the very least its nice to be around other Downtown lovers, perhaps it'll lift your spirits or whatever.

If you decide to come tomorrow Ill be wearing a maroon ASU hat and I look something like this, come by and say hi:

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3...3668607161.jpg

And yes, I was recently elected Mayor of Handsometown, USA. Thank you for remembering.

HooverDam Jan 16, 2010 4:18 AM

Oh and some actual news:

Quote:

Phoenix political rivals of one mind on GOP convention
Jan. 16, 2010 07:33 AM
The Arizona Republic
They once were political foes, jockeying to become the next Phoenix mayor in 2003.

As recently as 2007, Randy Pullen, chairman of the Arizona Republican Party, implied that Democratic Mayor Phil Gordon was a greater security threat than Osama bin Laden following a security breakdown at Sky Harbor International Airport.

But then there's that old saying about politics and bedfellows.

Pullen and Gordon, we learned this week, are joining forces to try to lure the 2012 Republican National Convention to Phoenix.

Both need to be on board for Phoenix to win the bid, especially with Pullen's influence as a top official with the GOP national committee.

But the two have had a contentious past. They tangled over immigration and a day-labor center, light rail and city subsidies during the 2003 campaign.

More recently, Pullen suggested Gordon should resign as mayor after security videos showed airport employees entering secured areas without having their bags screened by private guards, metal detectors or X-ray machines. The mayor was in the midst of his 2007 re-election bid.

"Who knew the greatest security threat to western civilization was not Osama bin Laden, but Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon?" Pullen said in a statement later posted to his blog, Pullen for the Party. "For the safety of all Arizonans and all Americans, we need a thorough investigation of the situation, if it is found that the mayor knew of this security failure, he ought to resign."

Gordon, who easily defeated Pullen with 72 percent of the vote in 2003, said he doesn't hold any grudges. In fact, the two recently have spoken by phone four or five times about bringing the convention to Phoenix.

The GOP convention "is an economic opportunity for the city, Valley and state . . . that benefits everyone no matter what the political party," Gordon said this week. "No grudges at all."

Pullen echoed the sentiments of his one-time rival.

"Politically, we don't agree on very much in terms of issues," Pullen said. "But for something like this, we clearly understand this is a tremendous opportunity for the city of Phoenix whether you're a Democrat or a Republican.

"There are some things we can agree on," he added.

One thing everyone can agree on is that it will be hot in Phoenix for either a Democratic and Republican convention in 2012.

Democrats held their 2008 gathering in Denver from Aug. 25 to 28, while Republicans staged theirs in the St. Paul-Minneapolis area from Sept. 1 through 4.

The average high in Phoenix in August is 105 degrees, though it cools down to a balmy 99 in September, according to Weather.com.

Those backing the bids said convention-goers will be shuffling between air-conditioned downtown hotels and the nearby air-conditioned convention center anyway. And Phoenix's dry heat beats muggy Houston or Tampa any day, they said

"If Major League Baseball can bring the All-Star Game next year in July to Phoenix, Arizona, that should give everyone the confidence to stage a major political event, Democratic or Republican, in the Valley," said public-relations specialist Jason Rose, who is working on Phoenix's GOP bid.
I'd rather have a Democratic convention just because it would attract more blatant hippie weirdos who would be fun to watch on the streets of downtown. The Right wing weirdos aren't nearly as fun to people watch. Either way, it would be a great thing for Phx.

EDIT: VVV Does that post have any meaning?

PhxPavilion Jan 16, 2010 6:11 AM

Ugh.

gymratmanaz Jan 16, 2010 12:06 PM

Let's have both. Has any city ever had both conventions??

scottkag Jan 18, 2010 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 4652745)
Let's have both. Has any city ever had both conventions??

And let's have them both at the same time :)

Teacher_AZ_84 Jan 19, 2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottkag (Post 4654995)
And let's have them both at the same time :)

I'd love to be a bystander for that!

combusean Jan 19, 2010 6:44 AM

I dunno if I wanna be anywhere near downtown when a political convention is going on. A friend of a friend complained constantly of the mini police state Denver became when the 2008 Democratic convention went on. I would be curious however to see how many closet cases show up at Amsterdam and related venues up and down the LRT route.

wissundevil06 Jan 20, 2010 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 4656205)
I dunno if I wanna be anywhere near downtown when a political convention is going on. A friend of a friend complained constantly of the mini police state Denver became when the 2008 Democratic convention went on. I would be curious however to see how many closet cases show up at Amsterdam and related venues up and down the LRT route.

If your implying just because the Democratic Convention would be here that the gays or "closet cases" would take over then that's a pretty stereotypical and ignorant comment to make.