SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

trigirdbers Jan 31, 2012 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westbev93 (Post 5571412)
The area in front of the Heard Museum is a large grassy area. As of last week, the grassy area was being fenced off with large iron fences. It just kind of sucks that they are walling themselves off from the street.

Thanks, I just went by today. What a waste of a perfectly good park.

Vicelord John Jan 31, 2012 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trigirdbers (Post 5571451)
Thanks, I just went by today. What a waste of a perfectly good park.

It's private property, not a park. :tup:

danskphx Jan 31, 2012 10:05 PM

I totally agree... I live right adjacent to the Heard and noticed the new fence on a run the other day. This is pretty awful to wall it off, totally takes away from its street presence (which was really nice).

HX_Guy Feb 1, 2012 12:36 AM

Always great to see new places opening downtown, in a cool location too. :)

Quote:

Cornish Pasty Co. to expand to Phoenix, Scottsdale
by Howard Seftel - Jan. 31, 2012 03:33 PM
Republic restaurant critic
The British are coming! The British are coming!

They're coming in the form of two new outposts of Cornish Pasty Co., which already has branches in Tempe and Mesa.

The first, scheduled to open this May, will be in downtown Phoenix at 3 W. Monroe St. in what was the old Monroe's, a basement bar that closed about four years ago.

The second, scheduled for late summer, will be on the edge of Old Town Scottsdale at 3800 N. Goldwater Blvd.

Owner Dean Thomas, 37, a Cornwall native, opened the first Cornish Pasty Co. in Tempe in 2005. It was an immediate success, and he added another unit in Mesa in 2008.

Pasties (pronounced "PASS-tees") originated in Cornwall during the 19th century. Prepared by miners' wives, they're hand-held pastry pouches, traditionally filled with beef and vegetables, which the men ate at work. Thomas has greatly expanded the repertoire: Cornish Pasty Co. offers dozens of varieties, ranging from lamb vindaloo to carne asada.

HooverDam Feb 1, 2012 2:11 AM

NICE!!!!!!!

Cornish Pasty Co is freaking awesome and that underground space is freaking cool. That'll become a really fun street between Seamus McCaffreys, Cornish Pasty Co and the Ghost Lounge.

PHX31 Feb 1, 2012 2:23 AM

That is awesome! Only thing is I wish the old monroe's would become another bar. It is an awesome space. Oh well, any cool nightlife street needs bars and quick food options for bar patrons.

HX_Guy Feb 1, 2012 3:28 AM

I'll have to check it out, I never went to the old place and am curious how the underground space is.

Vicelord John Feb 1, 2012 6:00 AM

Monroe's was on of my favorite spots. I drank there a few times
But unfortunately it closed before I turned 21 so I never fully got to enjoy it :(

nickw252 Feb 2, 2012 1:54 PM

People in FQ Storey are already squabling about the development at 7th and McDowell.

Quote:

Neighbors of a soon-to-be-opened sushi place at Seventh Avenue and McDowell Road are concerned about the business' proposal to allow alcohol on the patio that faces their alley.

The Lynnwood historic neighborhood [sic] is south of the alley from the retail center where How Do You Roll?, a fast-sushi place, is expected to open soon. The retail center where the restaurant is located, managed by Vintage Properties, also houses a Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Jersey Mike's Subs and Chipotle Mexican Grill.

The back patio is a few feet from a house owned by Dan Nelson and his wife, Aimee Conroy. The couple have a block wall, 7 to 8 feet tall, separating their house from the alley. (emphasis added). But they are concerned any noise from long-staying diners who are drinking alcohol will keep their 9-year-old triplets awake at night.

"For us, it's not the alcohol (license) issue," Nelson said, "it's the issue of when people drink alcohol they get noisy."

Also concerned is another neighbor, Kate Kuneberger, east of Nelson and Conroy. Kuneberger said the neighbors have had no problems with diners who drink at Chipotle because its patio faces McDowell Road, out of view and earshot from the Lynnwood neighborhood. (Chipotle has a door that goes to the patio also. Chipotle diners can take their burrito and beer to the back patio just as easily as the front patio.) They are more worried that noise, and perhaps littering, will be an issue with the back-patio diners at the sushi place.

"My concern is that it's uncontrolled," Kuneberger said. "There's no waiter going to the back patio (to check patrons)."

Kuneberger said that the How Do You Roll? representatives have not responded to neighbors' concerns.

How Do You Roll? officials had no comment for this story.

Becky Bomgardner is a neighbor and a member of the Roosevelt Neighborhood Action Association of which Lynnwood is a part. She said the board plans to raise concerns at a hearing Thursday morning on a request for a use permit by How Do You Roll? officials.

If granted, the sushi place can allow alcohol on the patio. The hearing is 9 a.m. Thursday at 1515 N. Seventh Ave., Suite 100.
AZ Central

My comments are in italics.

These people are ridiculous. First, this is a sushi restaurant, not a bar. People aren't going there to get shit canned on a Friday night sitting on the patio. People will have a beer or two with their sushi. Second, there is already a real bar right across the street (Sidebar) that doesn't seem to be causing any problems. Third, they're at 7th and McDowell for F's sake. If they want a 100% quiet neighborhood go move to the 'burbs.

Vicelord John Feb 2, 2012 3:28 PM

Without something to complain about, some people would have no purpose.

pbenjamin Feb 2, 2012 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 5574211)
People in FQ Storey are already squabling about the development at 7th and McDowell.

That is Roosevelt, not FQ Story.

Five Guys opened on Tuesday, by the way.

westbev93 Feb 2, 2012 7:04 PM

Way to go AZ Central writers. They managed to invent a whole new Lynwood historic neighborhood.

The only complaints I have heard in Story are that the development looks like something out of the East Valley, which I have heard echoed here. I never heard anyone in Story complain about Sidebar even though there are people smoking on their back fire escape late at night, which would presumably bother the neighbors on Lynwood. The people in Roosevelt are clearly more uptight.

danskphx Feb 2, 2012 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westbev93 (Post 5574597)
Way to go AZ Central writers. They managed to invent a whole new Lynwood historic neighborhood.

The only complaints I have heard in Story are that the development looks like something out of the East Valley, which I have heard echoed here. I never heard anyone in Story complain about Sidebar even though there are people smoking on their back fire escape late at night, which would presumably bother the neighbors on Lynwood. The people in Roosevelt are clearly more uptight.

I live in Roosevelt, and firstly I'm a big fan of all the new development... gives us something to walk to. I think the big complains are A) the development stucco'ed over a historic brick building and took away all its character and B) there's just a lot more there that wasn't before... its an adjustment. Lynwood was never a trafficed street so now there are lots of people where there weren't before.

If I lived in that house bordering the new parking lot with big pole lights and people coming in and out all the time, I probably wouldn't be too pleased either.

pbenjamin Feb 2, 2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danskphx (Post 5574774)
the development stucco'ed over a historic brick building and took away all its character

It had been stucco for years, look at Google Street View. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&to...ed=0CB8Q8gEwAA If there were bricks hiding in there they didn't show up during the construction.

nickw252 Feb 3, 2012 2:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danskphx (Post 5574774)
I live in Roosevelt, and firstly I'm a big fan of all the new development... gives us something to walk to. I think the big complains are A) the development stucco'ed over a historic brick building and took away all its character and B) there's just a lot more there that wasn't before... its an adjustment. Lynwood was never a trafficed street so now there are lots of people where there weren't before.

If I lived in that house bordering the new parking lot with big pole lights and people coming in and out all the time, I probably wouldn't be too pleased either.

I live in Encanto Palmcroft and feel the same way. I like having more places to walk to. I wouldn't want to have those businesses in my back yard either but that's why I bought a house in the middle of the neighborhood and not bordering a commercial building and busy street.

Don B. Feb 3, 2012 4:08 AM

^ Bingo! These people "came to the hazard," as we would say in property law. I have zero sympathy for them.

--don

phxSUNSfan Feb 3, 2012 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don B. (Post 5575422)
^ Bingo! These people "came to the hazard," as we would say in property law. I have zero sympathy for them.

--don

If this were a nightclub or bar that would stay open past last call, then I would probably be more sympathetic. However, this is a development with more family friendly ambiance. Someone mentioned before that rowdy and drunk patrons at a sushi place will be a rarity; couldn't agree more.

pbenjamin Feb 3, 2012 5:31 PM

The guy complaining has a corner lot with 7th Ave on one side. I guarantee that the street noise is a much bigger deal than some folks drinking beer with their sushi. There is also a fairly large parking lot between the patio and the alley.

Vicelord John Feb 3, 2012 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 5576038)
The guy complaining has a corner lot with 7th Ave on one side. I guarantee that the street noise is a much bigger deal than some folks drinking beer with their sushi. There is also a fairly large parking lot between the patio and the alley.

not to mention there are signs everywhere that say "please respect our neighbors" throughout the development.

Vicelord John Feb 6, 2012 6:15 PM

for any of you whom are familiar with Chicago, I'm excited for this one. We don't have a good Chicago dog here.

Portillo's planning expansion into Arizona
Phoenix Business Journal by Adam Kress, New Media Editor
Date: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 12:46pm MST

Related:Commercial Real Estate, Retailing & Restaurants, Food & Restaurants View photo gallery (6 photos) All photos provided by Portillo's
A view into the kitchen of a Portillo's Hot Dogs in Illinois. The company is planning several Phoenix-area locations.

Adam Kress
New Media Editor - Phoenix Business Journal
Email | Twitter The Portillo Restaurant Group is planning an expansion into Arizona, bringing a Chicago institution to the Valley in the form of hot dogs and Italian beef.

The Chicago-area restaurant company is scouting locations in Tempe, Chandler and Scottsdale for new Portillo’s restaurants, and founder Dick Portillo said he’s bullish on the expansion.

“We ship a lot of (mail-order) food to Arizona, and I got emails all the time from people asking us to open there,” Portillo said in an interview earlier today. “I think we have a lot of fans there, and I want to be proactive on this.”

There are 31 Portillo’s Hot Dogs locations nationwide, with all but three in Illinois. The company has one Indiana store, and in 2005 branched out into California with two locations. Portillo’s specializes in Chicago-style hot dogs and Italian beef, but also offers made-to order salads, burgers, desserts and beer.

The company is in discussions with officials at both Tempe Marketplace and Chandler Fashion Center to open locations at each. Portillo’s was close to securing a location at Paradise Valley Mall, but the deal fell through this week. In all, Portillo would like three or four Phoenix-area restaurants.

“I have people looking at other locations in Phoenix and Scottsdale,” Portillo said. “Once we get approval from any location, we could be open in about eight or nine months.”

Portillo said he’s looking for at least 7,000 square feet of space for new locations, which must have a drive-through and ample parking. He would build the new restaurants.

“We’re drawing up plans as we speak even though a location isn’t locked down,” Portillo said. “We plan to move quickly.”

Each Portillo’s location seats at least 200 people in a fast-casual setting. The restaurants all are designed and decorated slightly differently, but food always is prepared along a long counter where diners get a view. The restaurants employ at least 120 people each and draw their biggest crowds around lunch.

Dick Portillo is the sole owner of the Portillo Restaurant Group, which includes 47 restaurants, a catering and shipping division and shopping center. It has nearly 4,000 employees, but it all started in 1963 from Portillo’s hot dog stand in Villa Park, Ill., known as “The Dog House.” The then-23-year-old invested $1,100 into a 6-foot by 12-foot trailer without a bathroom or running water. To get the water he needed, he ran 250 feet of garden hose to a nearby building.

“It’s been the American Dream,” said Portillo, now 72. “We’re the highest-grossing fast-casual restaurant in the country and did more than a quarter-billion dollars in sales last year. We bring a lot of energy and a lot of sales tax dollars to where ever we go.”

Read Full Article