SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Phxguy Aug 19, 2021 8:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by az_daniel (Post 9369900)
The site next to the Coronado Hotel on 1st Street has more construction signs and tarps up on the fencing. Seems like something is imminent.

Also, not sure what is going into the little building just to the north of that site, but the renovation looks outstanding. They just put up a nice canopy this week. Looks like it could be some kind of cafe. Don't remember if there has been any news on what is going in there.

Crested put in a records request for that parcel a few weeks back, otherwise nothing on this one. Currently called ‘Townhomes on First.’ If they turn out like the dime a dozen townhome projects popping up all over Central Phx, then I’d say it’s going to be greatly underdeveloped.

The old mortuary to the north has several open permits for a restaurant/bar called Three Points.

biggus diggus Aug 19, 2021 3:40 PM

The little building two lots North of the Coronado is a bar that the owner of Seamus McCaffrey's has been working on for eternity.

CrestedSaguaro Aug 19, 2021 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 9369919)
Crested put in a records request for that parcel a few weeks back, otherwise nothing on this one. Currently called ‘Townhomes on First.’ If they turn out like the dime a dozen townhome projects popping up all over Central Phx, then I’d say it’s going to be greatly underdeveloped.

The old mortuary to the north has several open permits for a restaurant/bar called Three Points.

I never heard back on the records request. I submitted another request yesterday. We'll get to the bottom of this! :tup:

azsunsurfer Aug 19, 2021 5:13 PM

I don't know if all of y'all know but there is a bill working its way thru Congress called the Revitalizing Downtowns Act. It would offer a tax credit to developers who convert office towers into other uses. Not sure if it will pass or not but I wonder what would be the implication for the Chase Tower if it passes or some of the other midrises in Midtown??

CrestedSaguaro Aug 19, 2021 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 9369919)

Here you all go. Record Request came in this morning.

Development Name: 1st Street Townhomes
Developer: Surprisingly, True North Studios
Units: 24
Height: 3 floors with rooftop deck (42.6 feet)
Parking: Looks like 6 spaces total against the alley

View full pre-app on my Google Drive (includes more renderings):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Msj...ew?usp=sharing

combusean Aug 19, 2021 8:13 PM

A lot better than I expected--the lot isn't that big anyways.

Not that they'll ever sell or get enough deposits with unbundled parking like that, so the issue is moot.

Obadno Aug 19, 2021 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9370614)

Those look pretty cool actually. Would be a fun spot to rent in your 20's

They might be going for owner-landlords rather than expecting many people to owner-occupier

xymox Aug 19, 2021 8:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9370648)

They might be going for owner-landlords rather than expecting many people to owner-occupier

Exactly. I bet these mostly wind up as Airbnb units. Parking is a moot point if you’re getting there via Uber/Lyft…

YourBuddy Aug 19, 2021 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xymox (Post 9370659)
Exactly. I bet these mostly wind up as Airbnb units. Parking is a moot point if you’re getting there via Uber/Lyft…

Yep if anyone who lives there works from home or anywhere within walking distance of light rail there isn’t much they would need a personal vehicle for.

biggus diggus Aug 19, 2021 8:47 PM

I wonder if Derby will rent spaces. Are there any newer buildings downtown without parking? I lived in a building in Chicago with no parking and it's not terrible if you don't drive all that much. After a while you realize the walk to the train is shorter than the walk to the car and you start thinking about selling the car.

Code5 Aug 20, 2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9370614)

I kind of like it. But the developer better actually plant all those trees in the end. Im tired of renderings having a crap ton of trees just to make the project look beautiful, and then when it comes to the final product, its crappy desert landscape. A shrub and a cactus. More trees, the better. 👌🌳

Also Poor Angels Trumpet is getting surrounded now if this gets built. Haha

locolife Aug 20, 2021 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code5 (Post 9371185)
I kind of like it. But the developer better actually plant all those trees in the end. Im tired of renderings having a crap ton of trees just to make the project look beautiful, and then when it comes to the final product, its crappy desert landscape. A shrub and a cactus. More trees, the better. 👌🌳

Also Poor Angels Trumpet is getting surrounded now if this gets built. Haha

I agree on the trees.

Angels should be stoked, they're going to have an endless supply of local customers soon.

CrestedSaguaro Aug 20, 2021 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locolife (Post 9371449)
I agree on the trees.

Angels should be stoked, they're going to have an endless supply of local customers soon.

I think someone posted previously (before Derby started building) that Matt said he does fine as is and doesn't need the extra customers.

Not sure how true that is, but if I owned Angles, I would be planning for a serious expansion :shrug:

locolife Aug 20, 2021 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9371469)
I think someone posted previously (before Derby started building) that Matt said he does fine as is and doesn't need the extra customers.

Not sure how true that is, but if I owned Angles, I would be planning for a serious expansion :shrug:

Interesting perspective, well if he doesn't want the business all of the other restaurants moving in around him will take it I'm sure. I still like Angels a lot but do find myself with an ever growing list of other places to check out, I really want to get to The Theodore soon, just haven't had a chance to make it happen lately.

Code5 Aug 20, 2021 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locolife (Post 9371473)
Interesting perspective, well if he doesn't want the business all of the other restaurants moving in around him will take it I'm sure. I still like Angels a lot but do find myself with an ever growing list of other places to check out, I really want to get to The Theodore soon, just haven't had a chance to make it happen lately.

I know this isn't development news talk, but Theodore is a great bar. Im privileged to actually have a rare growler from when they started selling those early in the pandemic. I will cherish it forever. 😫 but get there!

Also for the audience, any new news on X Phoenix Basecamp and First McKinley?

YourBuddy Aug 20, 2021 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locolife (Post 9371473)

The exciting part is not just the business and entertainment that is there, but the ones that will follow as we get more units constructed downtown.

ASUSunDevil Aug 20, 2021 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9370648)

*30's or 40's. These will be way more expensive than a micro unit at The Derby (20's).

Am I missing something or is that 12 units not 24?

combusean Aug 20, 2021 8:44 PM

The first floor in each section is a junior one bedroom unit with a patio, floor 2 + 3 is two bedroom units w/ roof deck. Good mix.

biggus diggus Aug 20, 2021 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9371469)

Mat's doing fine. They miscalculated on the Arcadia store but he stays busy downtown. The new buildings will be good for him. Kind of reminds me of Wimberly in that he'll cry poor house over five cents. I haven't spent much time with him since relocation of the bike shop.

In somewhat related news Spoke and Wheel shut down a couple weeks ago. For the life of me I can't find the listing anywhere - don't even know if it's for sale or rent. The model OHSO has in Arcadia could easily be duplicated there and print cash.

asugrad Aug 23, 2021 9:48 PM

Punch Bowl Social

Not sure if this was ever answered, but someone has been working on the never opened Punch Bowl Social site for a while. Does anyone know what it is going to be now??? They gutted it even though it was pretty much finished for PBS