SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Glowrock's back from the dead, and now in Chicago! (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230592)

glowrock Nov 6, 2017 9:34 PM

Glowrock's back from the dead, and now in Chicago!

Well, it's been over a year without spending any time on SSP, yet alone posting, so what the heck... ;)

Just wanted to let it be known that I am now in Chicago, living in the Lakeview East neighborhood. Give me a little time and I'll get back to getting out there and doing some photo tours in the near future, probably of the neighborhood variety. Not like there isn't a veritable crapload of amazing neighborhoods throughout the city!

I also propose we come up with some time to get a Chicago SSP meet-up arranged. After all, it's great to have a group of us skyscraper and urbanity geeks/nerds together so we can collectively be awed at the sheer amount of construction going on throughout Chicago! :yes:

Ladies and gentlemen, this ends Glowrock's Public Service Announcement! :)

Aaron (Glowrock)

LouisVanDerWright Nov 6, 2017 10:14 PM

Welcome back!

The real question is: where did you go?

Steely Dan Nov 6, 2017 10:15 PM

welcome to the big windy!

and welcome back to SSP.

i'm LONG overdue for a forum get together.

tom was just mentioning it in another thread.....

glowrock Nov 6, 2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7978042)
Welcome back!

The real question is: where did you go?

Thanks! As for where did I go? Well, let's just say I was growing very weary of some of what I was seeing on SSP over the last couple of years, and decided to cut it out cold turkey. But now that I've just relocated to Chicago from Houston, I figure I might as well get back into the mix!

Aaron (Glowrock)

glowrock Nov 6, 2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7978046)
welcome to the big windy!

and welcome back to SSP.

i'm LONG overdue for a forum get together.

tom was just mentioning it in another thread.....

Thanks (and thanks!), Steely! Yes, it's definitely time for a forum meet. Besides, I haven't lost my tolerance for cold weather while spending the last four years in Houston! (Nor have I lost my tolerance for a pint (or four!) of a tasty, tasty micro-brew! Haha)

Aaron (Glowrock)

LouisVanDerWright Nov 6, 2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowrock (Post 7978055)
Thanks! As for where did I go? Well, let's just say I was growing very weary of some of what I was seeing on SSP over the last couple of years, and decided to cut it out cold turkey. But now that I've just relocated to Chicago from Houston, I figure I might as well get back into the mix!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Did you move because of the hurricane or did you just decide it was time for a change? I guess I thought you were always in Houston, where were you before?

glowrock Nov 6, 2017 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7978076)
Did you move because of the hurricane or did you just decide it was time for a change? I guess I thought you were always in Houston, where were you before?

Not directly because of Harvey, no. Indirectly, yes, since I needed to look for another place to live and rents were projected to skyrocket as a result of the tens of thousands of apartment units rendered unlivable as a result of Harvey's deluge. So I decided to have another do-over in my life and move to where I WANTED to move, not move because a job SAID I had to move.

As for where I was before? Brief answer for you: Born and raised in the L.A. area (Simi/San Fernando Valleys), then to Manchester NH for a few years, then to Denver (and the Front Range in general) for more than a decade, followed by a year in Bakersfield CA, then a year in Houston, then about three years in Pittsburgh, followed by the four years back in Houston. And now in Chicago. Whew, that's a lot of moves to nearly all parts of this country! Hahahaha

Aaron (Glowrock)

Tom In Chicago Nov 6, 2017 11:26 PM

I'll be around this weekend if you want to hang out. . .

. . .

bnk Nov 7, 2017 2:09 AM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=221302

emathias Nov 7, 2017 3:25 AM

Did you make it up to any Wisconsin breweries last weekend? I'm not as much of a beer lover as some on here so I don't know if I'd ever be up for driving three hours one way just for a brewery, but I did drive two hours to visit the Illinois Sparkling wine showroom near Starved Rock a few years back (it was a combo trip).

Count me in for any forum get-togethers!

glowrock Nov 7, 2017 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 7978389)
Did you make it up to any Wisconsin breweries last weekend? I'm not as much of a beer lover as some on here so I don't know if I'd ever be up for driving three hours one way just for a brewery, but I did drive two hours to visit the Illinois Sparkling wine showroom near Starved Rock a few years back (it was a combo trip).

Count me in for any forum get-togethers!

Yes, yes I did. Went to New Glarus Brewing, loaded up on a number of their limited releases only available at the brewery! :yes:

Aaron (Glowrock)

sentinel Nov 7, 2017 3:02 PM

Welcome back glowrock! I'd like to get to know folks, considering I've been a member for 13+ years (holy fuck that's a long time), count me in!

Kngkyle Nov 7, 2017 5:18 PM

I'll be in Chicago from the 16th to the 20th and would be down to meet up.

glowrock Nov 15, 2017 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 7978793)
I'll be in Chicago from the 16th to the 20th and would be down to meet up.

Let's do this! Shall we plan on Saturday afternoon or evening, perhaps? Any and all who'd like to come, of course!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Steely Dan Nov 15, 2017 4:29 PM

later in the evening after getting the kiddos to bed will increase my chances for a possible escape.

glowrock Nov 15, 2017 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7986678)
later in the evening after getting the kiddos to bed will increase my chances for a possible escape.

Alrighty then... So Saturday evening? I'm free all day, so let's just plan on perhaps various people/places on Saturday!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Steely Dan Nov 15, 2017 5:32 PM

^ let me confirm with my wife if this saturday night will work.

sentinel Nov 15, 2017 6:58 PM

I am free Saturday evening

Steely Dan Nov 16, 2017 3:18 PM

this saturday is no good for me afterall. :(

glowrock Nov 17, 2017 5:26 PM

So it looks like a few of us will be meeting up tomorrow (Saturday) evening. Any thoughts on where? I'm game for anything, but perhaps it might be best NOT to be anywhere near Michigan Ave. because of the lights festival and parade, eh? :)

Let's stay in touch via private message and go from there.

Aaron (Glowrock)