SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Crawford Apr 10, 2020 11:13 AM

Looks like 28 Days Later. Just needs packs of ravenous zombies.

10023 Apr 10, 2020 2:37 PM

I was thinking taking my camera out tomorrow to do the same thing.

Of course, it could also be that everyone is in the parks (where I am now).

suburbanite Apr 10, 2020 3:14 PM

I'd love to walk around London for a day with no people. Just have to bring your own food and booze.

iheartthed Apr 10, 2020 3:44 PM

London actually looks better with no people.

suburbanite Apr 10, 2020 3:47 PM

It really brings out the architecture and streetscapes. Obviously though you're missing some of the best parts of London in the pubs, restaurants, museums, markets, etc.

sopas ej Apr 10, 2020 4:02 PM

I wanna make an appointment to get tested myself, now that LA County has opened testing to all.

From welikela.com

L.A. Aims For 60,000 Tests By End of Next Week, Deploys Mobile Testing Teams

APRIL 9, 2020 BY JULIET BENNETT RYLAH

From the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, officials have stressed testing as one of the key tools in mitigating the spread of the virus. Los Angeles has been ramping up testing over the last several days. In today’s briefing, Mayor Eric Garcetti said the county tested over 4,000 people today—a new record. The city hopes to hit 60,000 tests by the end of next, which is double our current total of 30,000.

Garcetti also announced mobile testing teams, who will rush to nursing homes and other facilities where residents or employees are displaying symptoms. These teams will help avoid outbreaks, which L.A. County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer recently defined as three or more cases in an institutional setting.

Any facility that homes the elderly, chronically ill, or those with disabilities can apply for mobile testing. This also includes nursing homes, skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, and respiratory hospitals.

[...]

Link: https://www.welikela.com/covid-19-te...-PBuISrqH1OP3k

pj3000 Apr 10, 2020 4:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AviationGuy (Post 8889684)

Bottom line...I'm seeing inconsistencies. Some people not taking things seriously, but others definitely taking it seriously.

I've been limiting my shopping trips, trying to do it once every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. Yesterday, I made 3 stops: supermarket, hardware store, brewery.

Supermarket: approx 85% of customers wearing masks; hardly any employees wearing masks (only saw 2 cashiers wearing masks; 0 shelf stockers, deli counter, lot/cart attendants, managers, etc. wearing masks)

Home Depot: about the same, almost all customers wearing masks 85-90%; 0% of employees had them on

Brewery: I was only one picking beer up at the time and I had a mask on, so 100% of customers; 100% of employees wearing masks (saw 5 employees)

In Pennsylvania, the Governor requested everyone wear masks when outside of the home. One would think large chain stores especially would require employees to wear masks. :shrug:

SteveD Apr 10, 2020 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8889975)
I've been limiting my shopping trips, trying to do it once every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. Yesterday, I made 3 stops: supermarket, hardware store, brewery.

Supermarket: approx 85% of customers wearing masks; hardly any employees wearing masks (only saw 2 cashiers wearing masks; 0 shelf stockers, deli counter, lot/cart attendants, managers, etc. wearing masks)

Home Depot: about the same, almost all customers wearing masks 85-90%; 0% of employees had them on

Brewery: I was only one picking beer up at the time and I had a mask on, so 100% of customers; 100% of employees wearing masks (saw 5 employees)

In Pennsylvania, the Governor requested everyone wear masks when outside of the home. One would think large chain stores especially would require employees to wear masks. :shrug:

Similar experience for me. One trip to Kroger yesterday...we are going about every 8 to 9 days since this all went down...most but not all customers wearing masks, about half the employees. I'm about to make a run to the liquor store...I need my half gallon of Tito's. Since it's Friday I expect quite a few people, I'll have my mask on again...

sopas ej Apr 10, 2020 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8889975)

I see many people wearing masks where I live. The company I work for has required us to wear masks (or some kind of cloth covering) when entering, exiting, and walking through the building. We don't have to wear masks at our desks/inside our individual offices, though, but if someone enters our work space, if you can't maintain 6 feet distance, both (or more) people have to put on their masks.

I wasn't gonna say anything at my company (didn't want to stir the pot), and I'm not surprised, but my thing is, if we're required to wear masks, then the company should provide them, but I'm not surprised that they're not providing them because the company is so goddamned stingy.

I started bringing my mask to work before the company directive.

pj3000 Apr 10, 2020 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8889997)

I wasn't gonna say anything at my company (didn't want to stir the pot), and I'm not surprised, but my thing is, if we're required to wear masks, then the company should provide them, but I'm not surprised that they're not providing them because the company is so goddamned stingy.

Companies that do not provide their employees proper protective gear during all of this are opening themselves up to the potential for significant class action lawsuits against them.

If I was class action attorney, I would be driving around my state to major retail chains and providing my card to all employees who were not provided proper protective equipment by their employer.

SIGSEGV Apr 10, 2020 4:54 PM

Got grocery delivery yesterday, even though the grocery store is a block away :haha:. It was...ok. They ran out of random items but fortunately it didn't severely ruin any of the dishes we were planning on making.

JManc Apr 10, 2020 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8890002)
Companies that do not provide their employees proper protective gear during all of this are opening themselves up to the potential for significant class action lawsuits against them.

If I was class action attorney, I would be driving around my state to major retail chains and providing my card to all employees who were not provided proper protective equipment by their employer.

This.

I notice CVS, at least the one by me, is putting bins in front of check out and Pharmacy counters forcing a 5-6' space between the unwashed public and their employees.

10023 Apr 10, 2020 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8890002)

I think that’s a big part of the difference in life right now between London and American cities. This is not as litigious a society, so while Whole Foods cashiers are beyond a plastic screen (and really only because it’s an American company), most places are taking reasonable steps but not worried about this.

Personally, as I mentioned before, I’m making even more of a point than normal about shopping at independent, local shops. I know the owners, at least to the point of familiarity, and they’re all very happy that you’re helping them stay in business. Obviously you never, ever touch anything you’re not buying (no feeling for ripeness in corona-times), but they’re all more worried about their business and livelihoods than catching it (and are all generally younger than 50).

Pedestrian Apr 10, 2020 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8890150)
you never, ever touch anything you’re not buying (no feeling for ripeness in corona-times), but they’re all more worried about their business and livelihoods than catching it (and are all generally younger than 50).

Do you hand them your credit card or filthy cash, or do they let you swipe it yourself or use Apple Pay or some other hands-free payment? Because too many of the local stores around me don't have the swipe-it-yourself or Apple Pay technology. That's one thing that bothers me about them. And even better is the check yourself out technology like Walmart has (please no diatribes about Walmart not being organic and all that which is only partly true anyway).

Anyway, I'm sticking to Instacart for now. If I have to go to a grocery store, it'll be after dinner, as close to closing time as I can manage it.

Pedestrian Apr 10, 2020 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8890020)
This.

I notice CVS, at least the one by me, is putting bins in front of check out and Pharmacy counters forcing a 5-6' space between the unwashed public and their employees.

If I have to let the check-out clerk handle my credit card, it's all for nothing. Unless the clerk is obviously coughing or sneezing, I can handle the distance but not the touching.

Pedestrian Apr 10, 2020 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 8889983)
I need my half gallon of Tito's.

For hand sanitizer, surely.

rsbear Apr 10, 2020 8:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8890168)
If I have to let the check-out clerk handle my credit card, it's all for nothing. Unless the clerk is obviously coughing or sneezing, I can handle the distance but not the touching.

Just take one Clorox wipe with you into the store then clean your card after swiping it or when the clerk returns it to you.

I take a couple with me, just in case the store doesn't have them available. I also use wipes to open doors in the dairy and frozen food areas and to clean the touchscreen and keypad at checkout.

iheartthed Apr 10, 2020 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8890168)

How is this any different than the Instacart shoppers handling your food?

sopas ej Apr 10, 2020 8:54 PM

I wonder if my employer will comply with the requirement that they have to provide face coverings to their employees. I will find out soon enough! In the meantime, I have a supply of surgeon's masks.

From ABC7 Los Angeles:

Coronavirus: Los Angeles County extends 'safer at home' order until May 15, issues requirements on face coverings

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Health and elected officials on Friday announced the "safer at home" order that has been in effect throughout Los Angeles County since last month will be extended until at least May 15.

The announcement was made during the county's daily briefing, where officials also said face coverings will be required in public countywide beginning at midnight on April 15.

"We're extending the health officer orders -- which, as you know, require a fair amount of distancing and continue to keep in place closures of non-essential business -- not because everything everyone has been doing isn't working...it's because it is working. We know it's effective, but we still have a ways to go in order to both protect the lives of people who live in our county and to make sure that our health care system remains fully able to service all who need their care," said Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the Department of Public Health.

The new health order requires each essential business to implement and document a social distancing and sanitation plan, and requires the plan to be visibly posted at the front of individual business locations.

Employers must also provide cloth face coverings to their employees, according to the order, while members of the public must wear such coverings when visiting those businesses or when they are in close contact with others.

Cities in Los Angeles County can be more restrictive, but not less, than what the health order requires, officials said.

Ferrer also confirmed the flattening of the curve as a result of Los Angeles County residents heeding the "safer-at-home" order.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said people may be cited for not wearing masks in public after the order goes into effect.

Pasadena and Long Beach, which have their own respective health departments, have been implementing their own guidelines.

Link: https://abc7.com/health/covid-19-la-...bMtXvLCFdwseYU

montréaliste Apr 10, 2020 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsbear (Post 8890181)
Just take one Clorox wipe with you into the store then clean your card after swiping it or when the clerk returns it to you.

I take a couple with me, just in case the store doesn't have them available. I also use wipes to open doors in the dairy and frozen food areas and to clean the touchscreen and keypad at checkout.

That is the only sensible thing to do.

Also, do any of you use paypass for orders under a hundred dollars?

I just tap and don't need to enter a pin number.

Supermarkets here had special handwash stations with attendants that make you scrub before entering the store. They also only provide disinfected carts as you enter, make you.leave the ones you picked outside the store.

I was at Home Depot picking leaf bags for my garden and was surprised at the lack of measures. They had no disinfectant station in spite of their huge stock of cleaning products.
All they had was a fiberglass screen for tellers.