SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Obadno Sep 14, 2022 8:45 PM

These were already converted to offices and stuff but this looks much better.

PHX31 Sep 14, 2022 8:48 PM

Looks like a nice little project. There has been tons of development along Thomas Rd and along 7th Street in this area.

What is the latest on the Phoenix Country Club condo building just down the street? I haven't heard anything on that in a while.

Also, there was a plan for some new renovation and use of the old gas station on the SEC of 7th Street and Thomas. What ever happened with that?

CrestedSaguaro Sep 14, 2022 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 9731141)
Looks like a nice little project. There has been tons of development along Thomas Rd and along 7th Street in this area.

What is the latest on the Phoenix Country Club condo building just down the street? I haven't heard anything on that in a while.

Also, there was a plan for some new renovation and use of the old gas station on the SEC of 7th Street and Thomas. What ever happened with that?

I'm thinking this may have not penciled out getting knocked down so much from the original proposed height and may have been scrapped. I was initially all for this development. But the more time that has past, the more I feel a better development could be done on that corner. The problem is, what kind of development would a private country club want to come up with aside from private condos?

Also in the same area, there's a new townhouse development going up at the NEC of Windsor and 3rd St just South of Thomas (empty lot: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4782.../data=!3m1!1e3. Not sure how we missed this one. It's called the Soleil and will be 4 floors and is getting built with galvanized steel framing. Will have a mid-century look to them. See the renderings at https://www.compass.com/listing/312-...6020024591817/.

This area is starting to shine! :tup:

Obadno Sep 14, 2022 10:41 PM

The whole of central Phoenix continues to gentrify a breakneck speed

Obadno Sep 14, 2022 10:42 PM

Quote:

Not heard of the country club development for a while but the Gas Station was supposed to become a chicken restaurant. I assume its still planned but all construction timelines have been delayed in recent years.

PHX31 Sep 14, 2022 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9731261)
I'm thinking this may have not penciled out getting knocked down so much from the original proposed height and may have been scrapped. I was initially all for this development. But the more time that has past, the more I feel a better development could be done on that corner. The problem is, what kind of development would a private country club want to come up with aside from private condos?

Also in the same area, there's a new townhouse development going up at the NEC of Windsor and 3rd St just South of Thomas (empty lot: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4782.../data=!3m1!1e3. Not sure how we missed this one. It's called the Soleil and will be 4 floors and is getting built with galvanized steel framing. Will have a mid-century look to them. See the renderings at https://www.compass.com/listing/312-...6020024591817/.

This area is starting to shine! :tup:

I don't think anything else is possible on the country club lot, but who knows. I would hope the condos get built.

I forgot, but I actually saw Soleil in person a few weeks ago and was surprised it was there and being built. And of course there is the other MF being built on Windsor at 7th St.

Definitely a ton of development and improvements going on in Central Phoenix. I really hope the SWC of 7th & Virginia (Bandaids) someday gets in on the action!

ASU Diablo Sep 14, 2022 11:07 PM

While on the topic of midtown, does anyone know what the latest is regarding the proposed tower on the SWC of Central and McDowell? I was driving down McDowell the other day and completely forgot the existing 2-story building had been demolished.

CrestedSaguaro Sep 15, 2022 1:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9731308)
While on the topic of midtown, does anyone know what the latest is regarding the proposed tower on the SWC of Central and McDowell? I was driving down McDowell the other day and completely forgot the existing 2-story building had been demolished.

I've been keeping an eye on permitting. Nothing yet.

Chestnut1 Sep 15, 2022 1:36 AM

Quote:

Actually, they have been pulling a bunch of permits, one as late as 9/1

PHX31 Sep 15, 2022 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chestnut1 (Post 9731426)
Actually, they have been pulling a bunch of permits, one as late as 9/1

Thanks for the info. It's good to know it is still moving along. Time for me to go searching through this thread to find the plans. I can't remember exactly what it looked like.

Obadno Sep 15, 2022 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9731308)

I consider McDowell the north border of Downtown. Midtown really doesn't start till like Virginia but its sort of a blurry division for sure

ASU Diablo Sep 15, 2022 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9732342)
I consider McDowell the north border of Downtown. Midtown really doesn't start till like Virginia but its sort of a blurry division for sure

Eh...I consider the I-10 the northern border :cheers:

CrestedSaguaro Sep 15, 2022 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9732342)

I myself like to consider the northern limit at pretty much Hance Park as it just doesn't have a downtown feel to me north of Hance. But you are correct that Phoenix's downtown is officially just a tick North of McDowell (blue area in the map below):

https://i.imgur.com/uZVNYXq.png

citiznofphx Sep 21, 2022 5:09 AM

EV Hotel is retrofitting a old motel on 6th Ave and Van Buren

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/do...TwWS6rg6TM0bVI

jvbahn Sep 21, 2022 11:08 AM

Glad they are preserving the main segment, will look pretty cool when it’s done. However, who comes up with black in the Arizona sun? Guaranteed heat island effect in the parking area and high-cooling costs.

Obadno Sep 21, 2022 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvbahn (Post 9736871)
Glad they are preserving the main segment, will look pretty cool when it’s done. However, who comes up with black in the Arizona sun? Guaranteed heat island effect in the parking area and high-cooling costs.

Idk about that a lot of modern materials are really good at dissipating heat despite the color

combusean Sep 21, 2022 6:24 PM

It's literally why EIFS, Exterior Insulation and Finish System, exists. Performance at low cost and flexibility.

MiEncanto Sep 21, 2022 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by citiznofphx (Post 9736816)

Color me skeptical about this project. Maybe is the crypto stink, maybe it's the "gonna be like Miami" vibes... but I think this ends up becoming a very normal looking hotel in the end... or nothing at all due to investor issues.

combusean Sep 21, 2022 6:45 PM

At first glance, I cannot believe there are many investors wanting to put money into a no-name hotel brand, usually a developer has to have a letter of intent from a national brand before financiers commit.

That being said the Patel name is pretty much synonymous with motels even if they're not all directly/immediately related, so who knows.

ASU Diablo Sep 21, 2022 10:38 PM

Developer looks to make $1.5 million in improvements to CityScape park in Phoenix

Could use the improvements...

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...velopment.html

Quote:

The city of Phoenix is looking to reimburse Red Development to make significant improvements to a staple park at the CityScape mixed-use development in downtown.

A city report says that Red CityScape Development LLC, an entity connected to Phoenix-based Red, plans to make $1.5 million in improvements to Patriots Park, an open area with water features, seating and more.

CityScape was developed by Red in the late 2000s and is comprised of a 1.2 million-square-foot urban area in the downtown Phoenix core.

The main park is part of the retail section of CityScape, which also includes 3,000 below-grade parking spaces and numerous retailers and restaurants such as CVS, Chipotle, Urban Outfitters, EOS Fitness and more. The property also contains about 600,000 square feet of office space and hundreds of apartments.

The park is located close to the corner of First Avenue and Washington Street. A city report said that no significant capital investment has been made to the nearly 13-year-old downtown park since it was developed.

The city first approved a development agreement with Red in 2006 to redevelop the block into a mixed-use project, while maintaining 50% open space. Patriots Park is owned by the city but is leased out to Red, documents said.

"In addition, the ongoing light rail downtown hub construction of a new station immediately adjacent to the park has had a significant impact on the dedicated park space, adding an additional level of stress on the aging parking improvements," documents added.

Phoenix City Council will vote Wednesday to fund up to $750,000 to Red Development over three years for the improvements, which will come from the city's downtown community reinvestment fund.

Red Development, which will fund the rest of the improvements past $750,000, declined to comment on the improvements to the park. Design specifics and costs will be pre-approved by the city's parks and recreation and community and economic development departments before construction.