SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

bchris02 Jan 10, 2020 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 8794443)
We will never get a 50 story building in Phoenix. I generally agree otherwise but significant height along with *some* density (e.g., Houston) is pretty damn impressive from afar and up close. I'd take Seattle over Houston but I'd take Houston over Washington DC (ignore historical value and beauty - just skyline I'm talking). And, unfortunately, I'm probably alone on this but I'd take one beautiful 70 story tower near Chase Tower (e.g., Devon Energy tower in OKC) over 5 25-story buildings. Serious height somewhat isolated can be breath-taking also. There is no "magic" formula to me...

I just moved from OKC and I happen to dislike the Devon Tower and how it dwarfs the rest of OKC's skyline. It's a beautiful building on it's own but it just doesn't fit well with the rest of the buildings downtown. It's improved some since the new 27 story BOK Park Plaza was built a few years ago but the city really needs something between 500 and 700 feet to balance out the skyline. I hope Phoenix doesn't make the same mistake. In addition, I think street interaction and infill is more important than height when it comes to developing a downtown core. In OKC, the CBD is completely dead outside of business hours on weekdays while the premier urban districts are places like Bricktown and Midtown.

CrestedSaguaro Jan 10, 2020 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bchris02 (Post 8796081)
I just moved from OKC and I happen to dislike the Devon Tower and how it dwarfs the rest of OKC's skyline. It's a beautiful building on it's own but it just doesn't fit well with the rest of the buildings downtown. It's improved some since the new 27 story BOK Park Plaza was built a few years ago but the city really needs something between 500 and 700 feet to balance out the skyline. I hope Phoenix doesn't make the same mistake. In addition, I think street interaction and infill is more important than height when it comes to developing a downtown core. In OKC, the CBD is completely dead outside of business hours on weekdays while the premier urban districts are places like Bricktown and Midtown.

No worries about that. We are lucky to even have a 500'er proposal. If this were 3 years ago, this wouldn't have even been on the table. All joking aside, if we can get the a 525' and 550' tower built, then a 6 or 700'er would not look out of place. As for OKC, I happen to love the look of Devon tower, but I always hated driving toward OKC and that was all you'd see until you were with a few miles to see the rest of the skyline.

bchris02 Jan 10, 2020 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8796152)
No worries about that. We are lucky to even have a 500'er proposal. If this were 3 years ago, this wouldn't have even been on the table. All joking aside, if we can get the a 525' and 550' tower built, then a 6 or 700'er would not look out of place. As for OKC, I happen to love the look of Devon tower, but I always hated driving toward OKC and that was all you'd see until you were with a few miles to see the rest of the skyline.

I agree. However it's very exciting to see all of the mid-rise towers that are currently proposed in Phoenix and hopefully Astra pans out. I think it's a perfect height for a new tallest to be honest. In regards to OKC and the Devon Tower being all you see, that's especially true if you approach OKC from the west. The best view of the skyline is from the north, where Devon Tower is more in the background and it doesn't stand out quite so much.

https://i.imgur.com/STVl10l.jpg?1

somethingfast Jan 11, 2020 3:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8796152)

I think Devon is like 900' or at least 800' if I'm correct? It's a beast. Taller than anything in Dallas I believe. That photo doesn't do it much justice...it looks amazing on a sunny day with azure blue glass...but, yeah, kinda resembles Darth Vader amongst the Jawas lol...I'd still take it! :cheers:

Obadno Jan 11, 2020 3:38 AM

Had some drinks at the Cambra today, the view is great form that roftop and only going to get better in coming years.

Downtown actually looks quite substantial from that location.

bchris02 Jan 11, 2020 5:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 8796527)
I think Devon is like 900' or at least 800' if I'm correct? It's a beast. Taller than anything in Dallas I believe. That photo doesn't do it much justice...it looks amazing on a sunny day with azure blue glass...but, yeah, kinda resembles Darth Vader amongst the Jawas lol...I'd still take it! :cheers:

I like that analogy! And yeah, I'm glad that isn't going to happen here, though I hope some taller stuff gets built. The Devon Tower was originally supposed to be over 900' (925 I think) but it got scaled down to 800' or so. I'm glad it did get scaled down because it would have looked even more ridiculous if it had been as tall as originally proposed.

combusean Jan 11, 2020 5:31 AM

That tower has one pedestrian entrance on 3 city blocks spanning several acres. Yikes.

And yet the Urban Land Institute gave it a "global award for excellence."

I seriously doubt Phoenix will ever get a tower of this magnitude anyways, most of its home-grown companies that would ever commit to something similar tend to get bought out. I don't even see a residential tower that tall given that Midtown, the area where heights are not technically limited, is just not a luxurious place to live.

bchris02 Jan 11, 2020 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8796563)
I seriously doubt Phoenix will ever get a tower of this magnitude anyways, most of its home-grown companies that would ever commit to something similar tend to get bought out. I don't even see a residential tower that tall given that Midtown, the area where heights are not technically limited, is just not a luxurious place to live.

That area definitely seems like it's on the upswing though. I hope central Phoenix continues to fill in and then maybe Midtown will start to increase density and build upward.

Phxguy Jan 13, 2020 9:45 PM

A bit of a slow news day...here’s the Nest Cam looking north from City Hall. You can also see the O’ Neil building is gone and construction equipment moving on the Aspirant lot across the street, and the Fillmore on 4-5th Aves. This will be an epic time-lapse video if it captures the transformation from start to finish!

https://video.nest.com/live/TbinOWG9t0

PyroD Jan 14, 2020 3:26 AM

^Nice. It'll capture the new ASU dorm too

Obadno Jan 14, 2020 11:55 PM

Official groundbreaking press for Adeline (AKA Colliers/Hines tower) with new renderings:https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/c...ntown-phoenix/

https://azbigmedia.com/wp-content/up...020/01/aaa.jpg

https://azbigmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/a.jpg

Quote:

Hines, the international real estate firm, announced today it has broken ground on Adeline, a 25-story, 379-unit luxury for-rent residential high-rise community at the Collier Center in downtown Phoenix. The new development is near Talking Stick Resort Arena and the new downtown Fry’s grocery store, and the site is one of the last parcels of land available for development in the heart of downtown Phoenix.

“Hines is thrilled to bring our luxury multifamily experience and design to Phoenix. Adeline’s location offers the city’s luxury lease residents unparalleled access to the best of downtown Phoenix’s transportation, entertainment and business,” said Chris Anderson, senior managing director and Arizona leader for Hines. “Inspired by one of the city’s first great female leaders, the Adeline project pays homage to an important leader in our history, while offering ultra-luxurious interior design with a cutting-edge style, world-class amenities for busy lifestyles and a downtown retreat at an expansive private park.”

The 480,000-square-foot building will be located at 222. E. Jefferson St. on 1.46 acres on the northwest corner of Jefferson and Third Streets, near two light rail stops – ideal for residents who want to enjoy the downtown lifestyle. The multifamily complex is expected to have 75 studio, 179 one-bedroom and 125 two-bedroom residences. Leasing prices haven’t been finalized yet.

Adeline will offer spectacular views with floor-to-ceiling windows. Plans call for the second floor, overlooking Jefferson Street, to have an outdoor junior Olympic-size swimming pool, a 2,800-square-foot fitness center, indoor great room with private and group seating, private conference areas and a community kitchen. Also, on the second floor, overlooking Third Street, will be elevated outdoor courtyards with an outdoor kitchen, firepits with group and private seating and landscaped gardens. Other amenities include a dog spa, bike storage, a coffee bar and concierge service located directly next to the main lobby on the street level. The street entrance on Jefferson Street will give residents the feeling of walking into a luxury hotel. In addition, the building will have about 4,500 square feet of retail or restaurant space on the street level at the corner of Jefferson Street and Third Street.

Three levels of underground parking currently exist at the site which will be used for resident parking. Hines will also renovate 10,000 square feet of existing office space and lease it.

Adeline will target professionals working in downtown Phoenix as well as residents who live in other parts of the Phoenix area who want to live in the evolving high-energy, amenity-rich center of downtown.

“The downtown population has doubled in the last five years and is expected to double again over the next five,” said Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego. “Ensuring an adequate housing supply for new downtowners is crucial to ensuring our city’s success. Adeline will help residents make a home in our downtown.”

“Today, I’m proud of the smart growth in downtown,” said Phoenix Councilmember Michael Nowakowski. “Quality global companies such as Hines are seeing the opportunities here and making long-term investments. We are continuously building a city for the future.” “The skyline of downtown Phoenix is dramatically changing,” said Christine Mackay, director of the City of Phoenix’s Community and Economic Development Department. “Hines’ Adeline multifamily project is the first in a new series of high-rise towers that will remake what people think about downtown Phoenix. This project sets the new standard for appearance and quality amenities others will want to emulate.”

Construction is expected to finish in late 2020/early 2021. Leasing will begin in 2021. SmithGroup of Phoenix is the architect and Whiting-Turner of Phoenix is the general contractor.

ChaseM Jan 15, 2020 7:55 PM

Building Website: https://adelinedowntown.com/

CrestedSaguaro Jan 15, 2020 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseM (Post 8800564)

Already mentioned it on the Colliers thread, but the skyline is mirrored at the 1:16 mark. Leave it to an out-of-town development company to not get our skyline right in a publicity video :haha:

Edit: Speaking of skyline, took a spin around Downtown. Aspire, ASU residential and Link 2 are all in full construction swing. Link has rebar support and concrete going into the ground, ASU has rebar getting placed on site and Aspire has shored up the ground and now digging below street level (is there supposed to be underground parking?). We should see cranes for all 3 of these in a few weeks at most. Skyline is going to be busy!

CrestedSaguaro Jan 15, 2020 9:08 PM

...and speaking of cranes, 4 FAA evaluations submitted for Astra at 541'! This is starting to look real fellaz!

Quote:

Proposed Case for AZ: 2020-AWP-409-OE

Overview
Study (ASN): 2020-AWP-409-OE
Prior Study:

Received Date: 01/15/2020
Entered Date: 01/15/2020
Map: View Map
Construction Info Structure Summary
Notice Of: CONSTR
Duration: PERM (Months: 0 Days: 0)
Work Schedule: 06/01/2020 to 06/01/2022

Structure Type: Building
Structure Name: ASTRA SE
FCC Number:

Structure Details Height and Elevation
Latitude (NAD 83): 33° 27' 12.90" N
Longitude (NAD 83): 112° 04' 32.90" W
Datum: NAD 83
City: Phoenix
State: AZ
Nearest County: Maricopa

Proposed
Site Elevation:
Structure Height:
Total Height (AMSL):
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...27951252&row=1
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...27951251&row=2
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...27951250&row=3
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...27951249&row=4

Obadno Jan 15, 2020 9:35 PM

Man I havent even heard of so much going on in any downtown like we have right now.

Maybe Austin 7 or 8 years ago but thats it.

gymratmanaz Jan 15, 2020 9:55 PM

Astra! Astra!! Astra!!!

PHX31 Jan 15, 2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8800698)
...and speaking of cranes, 4 FAA evaluations submitted for Astra at 541'! This is starting to look real fellaz!

Glad they don't use 1,100' as the site elevation for the evaluation!! i kid, i kid.

Anyone have a gut memory on how long it's typically taken between submittal of evaluations and actual construction starting for other towers lately? (I see they have a work schedule of 6/2020 - hopefully that's when the crane is scheduled and groundbreaking will be sooner - although I'm certain the actual schedule will change based on approvals, permits, etc.)

ASU Diablo Jan 15, 2020 10:40 PM

Would be AMAZING if Astra happens in this cycle... :cheers:

witwhy Jan 15, 2020 10:47 PM

Devon was originally designed at 925' but was scaled down to 850' and moved a data center off site. Spectacular views from the restaurant Vast during sunset. Devon does have pedestrian access from the north and south and from the east through the Colcord.
Good news about Adeline, i remember parking on that asphalt lot for $5 for Diamondbacks games back in '98 before Collier's started building.

CrestedSaguaro Jan 15, 2020 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 8800814)
Glad they don't use 1,100' as the site elevation for the evaluation!! i kid, i kid.

Yea, yea whatevs! :cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 8800814)
Anyone have a gut memory on how long it's typically taken between submittal of evaluations and actual construction starting for other towers lately? (I see they have a work schedule of 6/2020 - hopefully that's when the crane is scheduled and groundbreaking will be sooner - although I'm certain the actual schedule will change based on approvals, permits, etc.)

I'm not really sure. Sometimes there seems to be no permits posted when I've seen a few things go up. Link 1 was announced and a few months later, BAM! It went up with what seemed very few permits showing online and hardly any notice. I'm guessing they are probably shooting for the end of this year at the latest. It seems they are putting the burners on for this one though. Lots of info coming out in a short amount of time.