SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

ASU Diablo Aug 2, 2019 9:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8648310)
But I did just notice some of the buildings are, in fact, missing. Directly south of Metrowest's apartments on 1st Avenue and Roosevelt there's a demoed building with a fence around it. This may have been discussed already but does anyone know what's happening there?

Here ya go biggus...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8640609)
The bullding directly S of the Union @ Roosevelt, 830 N 1st Ave (the red roof), is being demolished currently. I heard from a resident in U@R that the developer was planning on a 2nd phase of the project and it would include expanding towards the current dirt lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8640620)
I've always wondered if this would happen. Makes sense for them to extend Union and the space is there.

biggus diggus Aug 2, 2019 10:06 PM

I like looking north on first and seeing the buildings along the curve, very cool.

Obadno Aug 2, 2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8648326)
Interestingly Osaka wasn't even on the list of densest cities when I googled. It never truly feels dense either, just very busy. Umeda Station is one of the world's busiest train stations and it shows, but Japanese cities don't feel dense, really.

I would have to disagree, Kyoto, Nagoya, Osaka and Tokyo are all places I ahve been and they all feel very dense.

https://cdnuploads.aa.com.tr/uploads...d.jpg?v=225131

"hardly dense at all" :haha:

biggus diggus Aug 2, 2019 10:55 PM

It looks dense, but I've never felt crowded in Japan. Busy? yes. Crowded? no. https://marketurbanism.com/2012/06/2...ck-of-density/

Go to Hong Kong or Manilla.

Someone is going to get upset with us for having off topic discussion.

Obadno Aug 2, 2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8648389)
It looks dense, but I've never felt crowded in Japan. Busy? yes. Crowded? no. https://marketurbanism.com/2012/06/2...ck-of-density/

Been to Hong Kong as well. I mean sure, Hong Kong and Tokyo beats Osaka but that doesn't make Osaka hardly dense. And I couldn't disagree more with that blog assessment of Tokyo, I was there in March and it was overwhelmingly dense.

biggus diggus Aug 2, 2019 11:36 PM

Maybe it was perspective, I don't know.

Phxguy Aug 3, 2019 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8648389)

Japan is a madhouse but it's organized. I lived in Tokyo for a few years and there is absolutely nothing like the pinch of boarding a JR train on the Yamanote Line around 6-7 pm. Similarly, the sidewalks around Shibuya and Roppongi teem with pedestrians. Hong Kong and Manila felt busy but not to the extreme that you were suffocating in elevator cabs or train rides.

Mumbai and Jakarta are winners in my book.

gymratmanaz Aug 3, 2019 5:48 PM

I wonder if the japan/china thread is talking about us in phoenix. Lol :)

Phxguy Aug 3, 2019 11:23 PM

Noticed a crane going up for the Metrowest project on 3rd Ave and Mckinley. Was from a distance, could be wrong though....

pbenjamin Aug 6, 2019 7:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 8621426)
That's pretty much what the developer heard from the Encanto VPC tonight. It looked like the committee would vote to recommend denial, so they asked for a continuance.

One month later (tonight) this was on the agenda and the developer asked for another continuance, stating that they were working to address our concerns but were not ready yet. It will presumably be on the agenda for the September 9th meeting.

CrestedSaguaro Aug 6, 2019 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8648935)
Noticed a crane going up for the Metrowest project on 3rd Ave and Mckinley. Was from a distance, could be wrong though....

You were correct. It's for the McKinley Court apartments. I posted on update pic this morning in the Mid-Rise section.

Obadno Aug 6, 2019 3:36 PM

An article from PBJ that has no idea what its talking about, we have more high rises needing a crane already started or about to break ground than any time in years.

Quote:

Phoenix high-rise construction slows, but downtown development still growing
Quote:

As construction on downtown Phoenix’s highly anticipated Block 23 mixed-use development winds down, the number of tower cranes in the city’s central business district has decreased, but construction activity in the area continues to be strong.

“Phoenix is not a city that does a huge amount of high-rise development,” said Scott Macpherson, executive vice president of Rider Leavitt Bucknall, which completes a crane index that is produced twice a year and counts the number of stationary tower cranes in 13 major markets in the U.S. and Canada during the same period of time, in this case the month of May.

There are three tower cranes in place in Phoenix's central core, according to this period’s count. One is being used for a hotel, one is for a mixed-use project and the third is for a residential development.

The study counts the tower cranes in place within a 6-mile radius from the Central Avenue and Washington Street intersection, so Tempe, which is home to a few high-rise projects under construction, is not counted.

Macpherson said generally a building taller than five stories will require a tower crane, so counting the cranes can be an indicator of the scale of projects under construction in a city. Despite a decrease in the number of cranes in Phoenix, Macpherson said the low- and mid-rise construction in the area continues to boom.

“For a period of time, development in downtown was pretty stagnant,” Macpherson said, adding that construction had gone outward from downtown instead of creating more density in the core. “There seems to have been a shift toward infill and urban density, and that’s good news for a city.”

Residential projects like the Stewart, which recently opened in downtown Phoenix at along Central Avenue south of Roosevelt Street, are in high demand, Macpherson said, fueling more high-rise projects in the pipeline.

Of North American cities included in the crane count, Phoenix had the fewest for the period. Toronto had the most, with 120. In the U.S., Seattle and Los Angeles tied for the top spot, with 49 cranes each.

The count will stay about the same for Phoenix during the next six months, Macpherson said, but there are several projects planned for downtown Phoenix that will likely require tower cranes in the next 12 months.

CrestedSaguaro Aug 6, 2019 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8650684)
An article from PBJ that has no idea what its talking about, we have more high rises needing a crane already started or about to break ground than any time in years.

I read that this morning and I was like jeez. Currently, I count at least 4 cranes (Kenect, Columbus/Central, Wexford and Cambria) and we have about 6 projects that are getting ready to have a crane (one going up this morning). We will also have cranes for X-Phoenix, AC Hotel, Novel, Hines and maybe Link 2 by the end of the year and maybe a couple more multi-family as well.

Obadno Aug 6, 2019 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8650693)
I read that this morning and I was like jeez. Currently, I count at least 4 cranes (Kenect, Columbus/Central, Wexford and Cambria) and we have about 6 projects that are getting ready to have a crane (one going up this morning). We will also have cranes for X-Phoenix, AC Hotel, Novel, Hines and maybe Link 2 by the end of the year and maybe a couple more multi-family as well.

Yeah we will have cranes for Creighton, Park Central Residential, Fillmore Phase one possibly Aspire. These are things that already broke ground or have construction permits mind you.

CrestedSaguaro Aug 6, 2019 3:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8650706)
Yeah we will have cranes for Creighton, Park Central Residential, Fillmore Phase one possibly Aspire. These are things that already broke ground or have construction permits mind you.

Oh, yea. I forgot about those, lol. :cheers:

Obadno Aug 6, 2019 4:03 PM

Probably our most up to date picture of our slowly growing skyline from
Reddit taken either last night or in the last couple of days:

https://i.redd.it/x9kc02hq2ue31.jpg

azsunsurfer Aug 6, 2019 4:05 PM

Those townhouses look fun!

CrestedSaguaro Aug 6, 2019 4:27 PM

Nice find! Can't wait to see the next skyline update with Hines, X-Phoenix and Link 2 :cheers:

ASU Diablo Aug 8, 2019 4:51 PM

Adaptive reuse: First office tenant moves into old sing high building

A physical therapy office has opened.

http://dtphx.org/2019/08/07/adaptive...high-building/
Quote:

Renovations started at the beginning of the year to shore up what was left of the original, historic structure and split the ground floor into office suites, a lobby and restroom area.

The upstairs space, once used for private banquets by Sing High, will eventually be renovated too, according to the building owners, which includes opening up the stuccoed-over windows facing Madison Street.

According to Billy Shields, a consultant and partner with Hansji, the goal is to create smaller office spaces, which are in high demand downtown, and activate this area for future growth.

Mr.RE Aug 8, 2019 5:45 PM

This hotel development was mentioned a few pages back but here is a PBJ article on it:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...rking-lot.html

A downtown Phoenix parking lot could soon be redeveloped into a hotel.

Mortenson has plans to build an eight-story, 240-key hotel on the 0.6-acre parking lot on the northeast corner of Second Avenue and Adams Street, said Nick Wood, a partner at Snell & Wilmer who is the attorney for the developer. The hotel will be a Hyatt Place branded hotel.

Wood said the project is already entitled for zoning for the hotel, and setback adjustments were recently approved. Now, the project needs site plan approval by Phoenix City Council before it can move forward.

“It’s exciting,” Wood said. “It will be the first Hyatt Place downtown."

Mortenson was also the developer of the Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix Downtown at 77 E. Polk St., and there has been “significant demand” for hotel rooms in the area, Wood said.