SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

JManc Oct 30, 2020 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 9090190)
you need to wear your damn mask around so life is allowed. your no masking crowd is to blame for this. it could have been crushed over the summer, or could be held at bay in trouble spots, but you wont wear a mask. and who knows who you have infected, made sick or killed by your reckless, selfish behavior and attitude.

also, nyc looks like a damn shantytown with all these streeteries. and now they want more of it for retail. sad.

Has he said he doesn't wear a mask? legit question, I didn't see where he said eitherway other than complaining about shut downs..

I wear one inside (and want to throat punch those who at this point refuse to) but don't see the logic in wearing one outside but I also don't live in a dense area like New York or London where the odds of me being in close contact with others are fairly high. Squirrels outnumber people where I live.

I think for the vast majority of the country and the world, most have simply let their guard down and become too complacent where by Covid swung back around to say hi again. My wife and I have been eating out regularly again and we'll probably back off and order in order...god forbid cook now that numbers are getting high.

dave8721 Oct 30, 2020 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 9090153)
As Acajack said, work hours just blend into this 24/7 mix of "not fully working but not off from work either." I took a week vacation in August and it basically just meant that I didn't respond to emails within two hours but I still probably "worked" 20+ hours that week. I don't know how your practice works but are people emailing you at 11pm on a Saturday? No one has boundaries anymore lol

This part is definitely true. I've been working from home full time since this started and "work" is now basically 24/7. Instead of 100% work for 8 hours, its 75% work for 15 hours. I had to go to work to pick up my monitor from there. I need a full 2 monitor setup, trying to do anything meaningful on a laptop would just be impossible. Its a lot easier with the kids at school now. Was impossible to get anything done with the little ones always needing help with remote school setup.

Acajack Oct 30, 2020 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 9090327)
This part is definitely true. I've been working from home full time since this started and "work" is now basically 24/7. Instead of 100% work for 8 hours, its 75% work for 15 hours. I had to go to work to pick up my monitor from there. I need a full 2 monitor setup, trying to do anything meaningful on a laptop would just be impossible. Its a lot easier with the kids at school now. Was impossible to get anything done with the little ones always needing help with remote school setup.

Exactamundo.

It also doesn't take long to transition from where you get a semi-apologetic email or call at 8:30 am which says "Don't know if you saw my email last night at 11, I know it was late, but can you get on it this morning first thing please?", to the expectation that you had gotten on that right away at 11 pm the previous evening.

10023 Oct 30, 2020 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 9090190)
you need to wear your damn mask around so life is allowed. your no masking crowd is to blame for this. it could have been crushed over the summer, or could be held at bay in trouble spots, but you wont wear a mask. and who knows who you have infected, made sick or killed by your reckless, selfish behavior and attitude.

also, nyc looks like a damn shantytown with all these streeteries. and now they want more of it for retail. sad.

You are such a presumptuous idiot.

One, I’m not even complaining about the mask. It’s an annoyance, and mostly for show, but fine. Whatever. I’ve been wearing a mask indoors as required since I went to Italy over the summer. I have to put one on when I walk out of my office to go to the bathroom at work. It’s idiotic, but we are all going along with the farce.

It is social distancing that does not work for social animals, especially in cities, for either business or enjoyment. It is having horrific economic consequences, and not only that, but happiness is not possible.

And no amount of mask wearing would have “crushed” anything. You can have everyone sleep in a fucking mask, and it will not eliminate what is now an endemic virus from circulation. And until there is some differentiation in the rules for different groups based on risk, then governments aren’t even trying to take a pragmatic approach to this, just causing needless additional suffering. Fuck them and their rules.

Americans’ puritanical, holier than thou tendencies are really coming through during this whole debacle.

10023 Oct 30, 2020 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9090379)
Exactamundo.

It also doesn't take long to transition from where you get a semi-apologetic email or call at 8:30 am which says "Don't know if you saw my email last night at 11, I know it was late, but can you get on it this morning first thing please?", to the expectation that you had gotten on that right away at 11 pm the previous evening.

Or video calls at 7.30am because hey, that’s when you’re normally dressed to commute to work and we don’t do that anymore right?

Whatever. There’s nothing else to do.

niwell Oct 30, 2020 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9090379)
Exactamundo.

It's definitely an annoyance made much worse during COVID WFH - prior to this I very deliberately refused a work phone and rarely checked email off hours. Now work and home life have bled together in a very unfortunate way, particularly when it's busy. Though lately I have been making an effort to fully log off and ignore my work phone after 5:30 or so, unless it is busy or I'm waiting on something. Now that WFH has become routine our office seems to generally respect this arrangement, and the 10pm emails have dwindled to virtually nothing, with the "it's busy" exceptions.

At this point I actually prefer WFH, but ideally would like to go into the office maybe once a week or so. I'm enjoying the ability to go on walks throughout the day and have time to run errands / do housework. Of course all of this is on hold because turns out a 13 week puppy is a full time job on top of my full time job! Doesn't help that my wife's work (now permanently WFH) seems to be at least 6 hours on zoom calls with mandatory video...

destroycreate Oct 30, 2020 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9090177)
Sorry about that.

Did not want to sound like I was complaining (too much).

But this is a thread about the changes brought on by COVID-19.

And I do think that for white collar office workers, WFH all the time has erased the demarcation between work time and personal time.

Many days my wife and I are basically online from 7 am to 8 or 9 pm.

It's not the end of the world and obviously many others are far worse off, but it's still a "lesser" situation.

Between so many layoffs at our company and being on an insanely lean team at the moment, I've been forced to kiss any past semblance of a work-life balance goodbye. A "vacation day" (since February, I've taken 2) now is more like, I'm expected to work for at least 2 hours in the morning and monitor emails throughout the day for anything urgent. It just doesn't feel possible to take time off without looking bad or like I'm not "pulling my weight'.

100% I am working way more than ever before. There is no commute, so that means 2 more hours I can work. Due to the load I'm carrying, I can't possibly get everything done until 7-8pm.

So 12 hour days are pretty much the norm now. At this point, I'll work 7 days a week to avoid being laid off. I couldn't bear to lose my job right now. Not only would I lose my sanity, I dread the idea of job searching and being broke in this climate.

Acajack Oct 30, 2020 8:33 PM

Where I work you can see who is online among your colleagues on a kind of dashboard.

What I often do is logon right away when I come downstairs to the main floor for breakfast at 7 am, in order to ensure I have spot on the network. (It doesn't happen often but sometimes you can't get in if you wait too late.)

But what sometimes happens is I sense people are "surfing" to see who's online, and as soon as they see the green light come on for me, they send me chat messages asking me for stuff!

It's not so bad when it's people who report to me (they can generally wait) but less fun when it's people that I report to.

Stay Stoked Brah Oct 30, 2020 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destroycreate (Post 9090446)
Between so many layoffs at our company and being on an insanely lean team at the moment, I've been forced to kiss any past semblance of a work-life balance goodbye. A "vacation day" (since February, I've taken 2) now is more like, I'm expected to work for at least 2 hours in the morning and monitor emails throughout the day for anything urgent. It just doesn't feel possible to take time off without looking bad or like I'm not "pulling my weight'.

100% I am working way more than ever before. There is no commute, so that means 2 more hours I can work. Due to the load I'm carrying, I can't possibly get everything done until 7-8pm.

So 12 hour days are pretty much the norm now. At this point, I'll work 7 days a week to avoid being laid off. I couldn't bear to lose my job right now. Not only would I lose my sanity, I dread the idea of job searching and being broke in this climate.

Unless you're working for yourself, that's too much. it might be time to start looking for a new job.

Qubert Oct 30, 2020 11:00 PM

/\/\/\ .....All these anecdotes about WFH turning into being on call 24/7 might be the only thing that would put the brakes on this whole endeavor. A lot of bosses are going to assume that if your work is "at home" then whenever you're home you are "at work".

Pedestrian Oct 30, 2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9090099)
Most people are still on board to play along with the restrictions, but as I've said elsewhere on this board there is less and less sand in the top part of the hourglass.

Restaurateurs and bar owners in our neighbouring province of Ontario lobbied for and won permission to keep patios open all winter with semi-open tents and heaters. Areas like the Byward Market in Ottawa just across the river from me are a sea of white tents with heaters. (Here in Quebec even in this is not allowed. So restaurants can only offer takeout.)

Anyway, the expectation in Ontario is that at least some patrons would continue to come and dine and especially drink in heated "outdoor" spaces.

On Radio-Canada today there was a report about how most of these heated outdoor spaces were deserted. This was on a decent day when the temperature was 5-6C so around 45F. It was mentioned that the cost of heating was actually quite high and many businesses found it wasn't worth it for the handful of customers they'd get over an entire day.

So my guess is that outdoor heated patios aren't really going to be a thing (and be much help to businesses), as we're not even close to the coldest part of the winter yet.

My wife and I actually crossed over to Ottawa to have drinks at some of these places over the weekend. It wasn't unpleasant but not something we'd do regularly. Or maybe it just takes some getting used to? This was a weekend afternoon so the patios were busier. Definitely deserted but not even close to being full.

In 3 weeks I'm going back to Tucson. The interesting thing will be that the fall/winter/early spring are the most pleasant seasons to be outdoors there and I wish the restaurants would make a serious effort at outdoor dining like in San Francisco where just about every place now has a "parklet" dining space replacing the parking spots out front (in SF it won't get that cold and the spaces are mostly covered with heaters). But when I left last June, the best available was take-out and some places had just closed. Nobody was really doing outdoor dining but it was wicked hot.

I also hope mask wearing has been better accepted. As of May, there still were too many people refusing--mostly as a political statement--to wear them such that I felt uncomfortable going out where there were signficant numbers of other people. I did my grocery shopping in the evening an hour before store closing when they were mostly empty (in SF, I have almost everything delivered but that didn't work too well in Tucson--Instacart had hired a bunch of kids who had probably never shopped for groceries before in their lives). I put off having my second car's oil change because when I did the first one the two other people in the waiting area were unmasked and it was 105 degrees F outdoors so I didn't want to wait outside. Also putting off the dentist and the optometrist annual visits.

craigs Oct 30, 2020 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9090024)
With the current social distancing rules in London we might as well be in full lockdown. It is not enjoyable to go out.

Thoughts 'n' prayers that you can somehow survive a less enjoyable nightlife.

Pedestrian Oct 30, 2020 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qubert (Post 9090633)
/\/\/\ .....All these anecdotes about WFH turning into being on call 24/7 might be the only thing that would put the brakes on this whole endeavor. A lot of bosses are going to assume that if your work is "at home" then whenever you're home you are "at work".

A number of other things are going to "put the brake on it".

A ways back I posted an article about many tech companies reducing salaries for WFH employees and those working in places other than the SF headquarters by about 15%. Then there's the likely fact that if the boss never sees you, he isn't going to think of you when it comes time to replace your boss or otherwise promote. And finally, I would think these 20-something workers would just like the socialization that happens with peers in the office, especially when there's foosball, free food and dog grooming and all the other goodies the tech industry became known for pre-COVID.

chris08876 Oct 31, 2020 3:53 AM

As if nightlife is the only source of entertainment or fun.

Expand the horizons! :wiseman:

Too many weak minded folks out there. If people are bored during the lockdowns, might be a good time to expand the horizons and discover some new sources of fun or entertainment. Expand the minds entertainment preference portfolio.

There is more to life than bars and getting f'd up on alcohol.

This will all be over in time. Until than, might be a good time to discover a new hobbies or outlook on something new... as some folks did during the 1st wave.

Steely Dan Oct 31, 2020 4:59 AM

^ If anyone is truly bored during all of this covid bullshit, just make some kids.

I guarantee you that you will NOT be bored if you do.

You might become exhausted, irritated, angered, and broke, but at least you won't be bored anymore. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 9090670)

Yeah, my heart just aches for 10023's suffering through all of this.

How unfair life has been to him.

Let's never forget the real victims.

Make it right, Pizza God, make it right!

10023 Oct 31, 2020 7:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 9090670)

Why does everyone have to be such a patronising dickhead?

Do you enjoy waking up, going to work, coming home, going to bed, and repeating as infinitum?

Because there is not really anything else to do.

N90 Oct 31, 2020 9:30 AM

Supposedly former retail store spaces in NYC and other US cities are being converted into senior housing. I’m not against the idea but wouldn’t former commercial areas be too loud and invasive for senior housing?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...pment.amp.html

suburbanite Oct 31, 2020 1:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 9090822)
As if nightlife is the only source of entertainment or fun.

Expand the horizons! :wiseman:

Too many weak minded folks out there. If people are bored during the lockdowns, might be a good time to expand the horizons and discover some new sources of fun or entertainment. Expand the minds entertainment preference portfolio.

There is more to life than bars and getting f'd up on alcohol.

This will all be over in time. Until than, might be a good time to discover a new hobbies or outlook on something new... as some folks did during the 1st wave.

There are obviously other things to do, but life is about balance. Most people's personalities aren't conducive to getting fucked up every single night for eight months, and on the flip side, neither do they want to stay inside or in groups of four for eight months straight.

I'm fine accepting what we need to do to manage caseloads, but there isnt really a Covid equivalent to taking some MDMA and partying with hundreds of people until 4 am. My plan is just to work my ass off for this winter, and take a leave of absence to South America or thr Pacific party islands when the vaccine is out and life gets back to normal.

Crawford Oct 31, 2020 1:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N90 (Post 9090904)
Supposedly former retail store spaces in NYC and other US cities are being converted into senior housing. I’m not against the idea but wouldn’t former commercial areas be too loud and invasive for senior housing?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...pment.amp.html

There's no mention of NYC in this article.

And they're talking about dead retail in sprawl being demolished for new construction replacement, including senior housing, which is a trend that long predates the pandemic.

The U.S. has too much big box retail space, and not enough senior housing, so, yeah, the trend makes sense.

Crawford Oct 31, 2020 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9090895)
Why does everyone have to be such a patronising dickhead?

Do you enjoy waking up, going to work, coming home, going to bed, and repeating as infinitum?

Because there is not really anything else to do.

If you have kids, you're kept busy during the pandemic.

But I agree this totally sucks, and work is now endless and 24/7, and neither my wife or I have the type of jobs that formerly require such herculean dedication. My wife was working till 1 AM last night, which is typical 2-3 days a week lately.

Cannot wait till vaccine and semi-normalcy ensues.