SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro Feb 1, 2023 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9854696)
It's on streetview and there's definitely some scorching in back .. the problem is fire often weakens the brickwork. I don't think I've ever seen a fire-damaged brick building actually get rehabilitated.

I wonder what's on hold or canceled in that AZBEX list.

At first, my mind went immediately to Astra. But then I thought about the Regency Garage RFP. I'm hoping the latter.

CrestedSaguaro Feb 1, 2023 9:05 PM

360 north 3rd

Here's the first renderings of the proposal at 360 N. 3rd Ave. Not sure what kind of colors we can really expect. Looks like lots of glass which will look good.

View all documents on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link

https://i.imgur.com/yvEMf10.png

https://i.imgur.com/OYRZP4R.png

https://i.imgur.com/5ttHykK.png

PyroD Feb 1, 2023 11:07 PM

Nothing groundbreaking but it looks pretty good nonetheless. Also good to read that their is an emphasis to continue Taylor through this block. Also in the city emails, there was a mention of Taylor continuing through at "that project on 7th Avenue". Any idea what that could be?

Obadno Feb 2, 2023 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PyroD (Post 9854973)
Nothing groundbreaking but it looks pretty good nonetheless. Also good to read that their is an emphasis to continue Taylor through this block. Also in the city emails, there was a mention of Taylor continuing through at "that project on 7th Avenue". Any idea what that could be?

That would have to be a project to replace the old garment factory right?

Warren Peace Feb 2, 2023 3:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise (Post 9853629)
Not sure but maybe some of you like walking around in 120% heat. So you want someone to live in Phoenix without a car or require them to have the car a few blocks from where they live? Do you actually walk long distances in 120% degree heat when you are not working out? Like going to work or to a restaurant? I am in on Light Rail and Electric trolley's but sorry there will never be enough of those to service every area of the city a person would be working or shopping and you would have to have stops like every 1/2 block. Do you presently buy groceries and walk multiple blocks to your condo or apt? Are you people serious?

120 degree heat? C'mon...

If you want real misery, move to a gulf coast location where temps in the 90s are coupled with high humidity. You'll be wishing you were back in Phoenix's 100s real quick.

I live and work downtown and friggin love it. I can go months without driving my personal vehicle anywhere even though it is parked on site. My wife and I walk to the grocery regardless of temperature. We walk multiple blocks to concerts, comedy shows, bars, and restaurants. I traded big city suburban life for this and LOVE IT.

It sure seems like I'm surrounded by others who love it too.

TllrSkyline-01 Feb 2, 2023 3:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Peace (Post 9855198)

If you want real misery, move to a gulf coast location where temps in the 90s are coupled with high humidity. You'll be wishing you were back in Phoenix's 100s real quick.

I live and work downtown and friggin love it. I can go months without driving my personal vehicle anywhere even though it is parked on site. My wife and I walk to the grocery regardless of temperature. We walk multiple blocks to concerts, comedy shows, bars, and restaurants. I traded big city suburban life for this and LOVE IT.

As more people move into downtown, developers will start including major retail to handle the domestics and this will reduce large parking facilities.

Warren Peace Feb 2, 2023 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9854551)
AZBEX literally using us as a source https://azbex.com/planning-developme...be-growing-up/

Quote:

509 West Monroe Tower

LG Development Group submitted a Downtown Code Fact Finding meeting request to the Phoenix Planning and Development Department as part of a pre-application last November.

The request deals with a plan to build a 24-story development with an estimated 400 residential units and ground-floor retail/commercial space. According to the project overview, the plan calls for “a mix of studio, one-, two-, and three-bedroom units with an average unit size of approximately 796 square feet. The Project will incorporate customary, modern residential amenities, which may include a rooftop lounge, as well as leasing, fitness and amenity spaces. An above grade parking structure will serve the project’s parking requirements in addition to offering off site valet parking spaces to a nearby hotel. The Project as designed proposes 100% Lot Coverage. As such, the Project will pursue sustainability credits to increase the allowable Lot Coverage.”
Nearby hotel? At that location?

Friendship Inn? New Windsor Hotel? Neither are known for clientele that prefer valet parking.

New hotel yet to be announced?

Phxguy Feb 2, 2023 4:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Peace (Post 9855204)

Friendship Inn? New Windsor Hotel? Neither are known for clientele that prefer valet parking.

Perhaps the EV Smart Hotel planned for NWC of 6th Ave/Van Buren? Check out page 1012 of this thread for those renderings.

And on that topic, has there been any movement with this hotel?

combusean Feb 2, 2023 8:47 AM

I'm actually kind of shocked that 360 3rd included that pedestrian pass through more or less in line with the current "paseo" alignment. I was a little worried about that not coming to fruition but it's such a nice touch when with the last few projects this has become a reality. This wouldn't have been done years ago.

combusean Feb 2, 2023 8:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Peace (Post 9855204)

Hyatt Place has a port cochere and did not come with parking, 99% sure it's that.

Obadno Feb 2, 2023 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Peace (Post 9855198)

Its a false argument dont give it credence.

"What You think people will walk around outside in 30 degrees and freezing rain."??

-Literally almost every major city in north America and Europe this is a yearly reality. yet people will complain that despite being warm its impossible to walk when its 110. They also always point to 120 WHICH I MAY ADD IS RECORD TEMPERATURES AND IT HAS NOT BEEN OVER 120 in Phoenix since 1994

So by this logic since it has gotten to 40 below in Chicago, Milwaukee and Minneapolis those cities should not be walkable.

Its just so stupid it drives me insane. :hell:

phoenixwillrise Feb 2, 2023 6:43 PM

Sorry just not buying it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9855490)
Its a false argument dont give it credence.

"What You think people will walk around outside in 30 degrees and freezing rain."??

-Literally almost every major city in north America and Europe this is a yearly reality. yet people will complain that despite being warm its impossible to walk when its 110. They also always point to 120 WHICH I MAY ADD IS RECORD TEMPERATURES AND IT HAS NOT BEEN OVER 120 in Phoenix since 1994

So by this logic since it has gotten to 40 below in Chicago, Milwaukee and Minneapolis those cities should not be walkable.

Its just so stupid it drives me insane. :hell:

To imply that it is not miserable walking around ok 110 heat, (err feels like 120), is total B.S. I played football in 110 degree heat in Phoenix when we went thru the dog days of August and I was 18 then. Yes it's possible to walk down a street melting in your shoes at 110 degrees but who in their right mind wants to? I have zero problem of having parking podiums in apartment buildings in Phoenix because the average person just is not going to walk their groceries down the street in 110 degree heat. Post a non staged video of numerous people doing such and you might gain some credence. Because other cities have cold weather for part of the year doesn't somehow negate the fact that walking around in 110 degree heat in Phoenix is not fun. Also in cold weather you can wear cold weather gear a big difference and yes I would also recommend living in a freaking building with parking if you lived in such a place. Don't get the hatred of cars when we are in the process of converting to EV's. And have you ever even noticed that most of the politicians who rant about public transportation are never seen on them?

muertecaza Feb 2, 2023 6:56 PM

Mayo Clinic submitted a PUD recently for their planned 'Discovery Oasis' campus. Still early stages, but here is the PUD and a conceptual rendering:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...PZ/Z-4-23n.pdf

https://i.imgur.com/oyvQhtQh.png

Obadno Feb 2, 2023 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise (Post 9855711)
To imply that it is not miserable walking around ok 110 heat, (err feels like 120), is total

If Arizona is "too hot" to walk around in 90% of the cities on earth are too cold.

The end. This argument is idiotic when its 120 maybe 3 times a century and only hot 3 months a year

Again, the New york Times did an article a few years ago for the cities in America with the "Nicest" days meaning comfortable, sunny days. And Phoenix was number 3 or 4 only bear out by Sothern California cities, not a shock.

Stop.

YourBuddy Feb 2, 2023 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise (Post 9855711)
To imply that it is not miserable walking around ok 110 heat, (err feels like 120), is total B.S. I played football in 110 degree heat in Phoenix when we went thru the dog days of August and I was 18 then. Yes it's possible to walk down a street melting in your shoes at 110 degrees but who in their right mind wants to? I have zero problem of having parking podiums in apartment buildings in Phoenix because the average person just is not going to walk their groceries down the street in 110 degree heat. Post a non staged video of numerous people doing such and you might gain some credence. Because other cities have cold weather for part of the year doesn't somehow negate the fact that walking around in 110 degree heat in Phoenix is not fun. Also in cold weather you can wear cold weather gear a big difference and yes I would also recommend living in a freaking building with parking if you lived in such a place. Don't get the hatred of cars when we are in the process of converting to EV's. And have you ever even noticed that most of the politicians who rant about public transportation are never seen on them?

And despite all this and bundling up guess what happens in cold weather cities when it gets dangerously cold. Less people go out in general. Just like here. And yet it isn’t used as an excuse to not build more pedestrian friendly spaces.

Let me tell you when a polar vortex hits it’s far worse than any temperature here. If anything it is more dangerous to drive in those conditions, so they shouldn’t have pedestrian or car infrastructure and everyone stay inside.

Obadno Feb 2, 2023 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 9855733)
Mayo Clinic submitted a PUD recently for their planned 'Discovery Oasis' campus. Still early stages, but here is the PUD and a conceptual rendering:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...PZ/Z-4-23n.pdf

https://i.imgur.com/oyvQhtQh.png

Damn what is that all going to be labs? Office space?

azsunsurfer Feb 2, 2023 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9855861)

AZ has been lagging in the life sciences development unlike the Bay or even Denver....will we be able to support this development along with IDEA in Tempe and the Biocampus Downtown? Wish this kind of development could all be focused in one district....

combusean Feb 2, 2023 11:57 PM

This weather argument is getting hella old and in the way of more topical/relevant discussion.

Take it somewhere else.

Obadno Feb 3, 2023 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 9855971)
AZ has been lagging in the life sciences development unlike the Bay or even Denver....will we be able to support this development along with IDEA in Tempe and the Biocampus Downtown? Wish this kind of development could all be focused in one district....

This is bigger than the idea campus and downtown biomed district combined

combusean Feb 3, 2023 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9855861)

Quote:

The Mayo Clinic Discovery Oasis Paradise Ridge is a proposed medical focused campus that will include outpatient clinic, patient services and advanced R/D and medical equipment manufacturing space, with associated tenant amenities, to total up to 3.3 million square feet (the “Project”).
I wouldn't put too much stock in it, this looks really preliminary for a PUD and it contradicts itself with 2.3 million sqft of development later with retail, etc but no manufacturing.

They just may as well submit a 1 page PUD with their logo and "what u gonna do, deny it? lol" and call it a day.