SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHCAGO | Thompson Center redevelopment | Jahn's MASTERPIECE will be saved!!!!!!!!!!! (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249335)

ardecila Jul 29, 2022 10:45 PM

Yes, Google bought Chelsea Market and left the shopping/food levels mostly untouched. It's not a food hall in the modern sense, it's sort of a hybrid of a 2010s/2020s food hall and a 1990s festival marketplace. The hallways are lined with industrial relics and artifacts displayed in a quirky way, etc. Reminds me of walking down Navy Pier's interior corridor, but with more gourmet food. Or North Pier, if anyone remembers that blast from the past.

The Thompson Center will be stripped down to its skeleton, though, so all businesses will likely be evicted and 95% of the square footage will be reprogrammed.

bhawk66 Jul 30, 2022 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9689604)
Yes, Google bought Chelsea Market and left the shopping/food levels mostly untouched. It's not a food hall in the modern sense, it's sort of a hybrid of a 2010s/2020s food hall and a 1990s festival marketplace. The hallways are lined with industrial relics and artifacts displayed in a quirky way, etc. Reminds me of walking down Navy Pier's interior corridor, but with more gourmet food. Or North Pier, if anyone remembers that blast from the past.

The Thompson Center will be stripped down to its skeleton, though, so all businesses will likely be evicted and 95% of the square footage will be reprogrammed.

The other 5% being bathrooms I presume, lol

marothisu Jul 30, 2022 8:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9689604)

Chelsea Market is cool, but super annoying because of how many people (a lot of tourists) it's crawling with. It has a few cool shops but most of it is pretty regular stuff. Tourists there amp up everything so it's pretty hilarious.

With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they put some sort of food hall in the basement there especially considering there is the train station accessible from there. I'm sure they'll kick out most of who's already there and bring in some trendier options. There's little doubt in my mind that this will happen.

FightOn! Jul 31, 2022 4:36 PM

Fantastic news! We just moved from NYC to the Loop late last year and can see the potential this area can become. After March, the area has been booming with people and every weekend has become busier and busier.

This news just made us feel better about buying a condo down here as we see it undervalued compared to major cities we've lived in.

Maybe even apply to Google in the future... :)

marothisu Jul 31, 2022 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FightOn! (Post 9690517)
Fantastic news! We just moved from NYC to the Loop late last year and can see the potential this area can become. After March, the area has been booming with people and every weekend has become busier and busier.

This news just made us feel better about buying a condo down here as we see it undervalued compared to major cities we've lived in.

Maybe even apply to Google in the future... :)

Hey fellow NYC transplant (but I used to live in Chicago for many years previous).

Activity downtown definitely picked up after March and especially after April. It's weird when people call it a ghost town now - I'm pretty sure they don't come downtown and are just guessing and applying what they knew what it was like 6+ months ago instead.

Chicago is always undervalued. It makes no sense except for 50-75% false crime stereotypes and the weather stereotypes. The Loop before the pandemic definitely had less retail vacancy and even more people. But there's 600K+ jobs technically in the area and there's still a lot of people coming into their offices now even if it's not a super high percentage.

What's always bothered me about the area though is the residential component. They've definitely added more in the eastern portion vs. when I originally moved to Chicago but they could do so much more. It does have the potential to be like some of the more populated parts of Midtown IMO. Not that Midtown is my favorite part of NYC (far from it) but there's still some sections with some nice after office hours activity and some good local restaurants.

Pioneer Aug 1, 2022 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 9690708)
Hey fellow NYC transplant (but I used to live in Chicago for many years previous).

Activity downtown definitely picked up after March and especially after April. It's weird when people call it a ghost town now - I'm pretty sure they don't come downtown and are just guessing and applying what they knew what it was like 6+ months ago instead.

Chicago is always undervalued. It makes no sense except for 50-75% false crime stereotypes and the weather stereotypes. The Loop before the pandemic definitely had less retail vacancy and even more people. But there's 600K+ jobs technically in the area and there's still a lot of people coming into their offices now even if it's not a super high percentage.

What's always bothered me about the area though is the residential component. They've definitely added more in the eastern portion vs. when I originally moved to Chicago but they could do so much more. It does have the potential to be like some of the more populated parts of Midtown IMO. Not that Midtown is my favorite part of NYC (far from it) but there's still some sections with some nice after office hours activity and some good local restaurants.

Off topic, but I started commuting back to work (in Illinois Center) 2 days a week, starting in May. It's amazing how much more vibrant and bustling the Loop and surrounding areas have become over the last 2-3 months. Illinois Center, of all places, had a buzz last week. I'm sure that was partly due to Lolla but I suspect not too much (how many attendees ventured north to the exciting and vibrant Illinois Center?).

Chisouthside Aug 1, 2022 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer (Post 9691127)
Off topic, but I started commuting back to work (in Illinois Center) 2 days a week, starting in May. It's amazing how much more vibrant and bustling the Loop and surrounding areas have become over the last 2-3 months. Illinois Center, of all places, had a buzz last week. I'm sure that was partly due to Lolla but I suspect not too much (how many attendees ventured north to the exciting and vibrant Illinois Center?).

Alot of the tourists stay in the cluster of hotels north of randolph east of Michigan so it seems like it's always popping around here. I came back to the office before most people and even a year ago there were clusters of tourists all around lakeshore east.

r18tdi Aug 1, 2022 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galleyfox (Post 9687970)

Yup, confirmed:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/7/...ng-sold-google

marothisu Aug 1, 2022 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisouthside (Post 9691145)
Alot of the tourists stay in the cluster of hotels north of randolph east of Michigan so it seems like it's always popping around here. I came back to the office before most people and even a year ago there were clusters of tourists all around lakeshore east.

I work in the central loop, and have since last October. The amount of people who are working there and clearly not tourists is way up since March or early April. My trains have been packed or what I consider "pretty damn full" 75% of the trips to and from work since then too. Since I ride the Brown Line as well, very few people are tourists and most people are very obviously office workers. When I walk to the train after work east towards Millennium Park, the tourists are more obvious but in the central loop there's a lot of office workers now. You'd see that if you hung out there a lot. And as someone who has been coming into the office (minus 2 months) since October for 3 days a week - it's like someone flipped a switch every week since early March.

Tom In Chicago Aug 2, 2022 2:20 PM

^Yup. . . I live in the LSE area and have been working at our datacenter in the no-man's land south and west of the Loop, taking my electric scooter to and from work. . . I've noticed a huge uptick in both tourist (expected) and worker traffic in the Loop proper over the last few months. . .

. . .

rivernorthlurker Aug 2, 2022 4:32 PM

Ditto for me. Have been downtown around 5-6 pm a few times and was seeing heavy traffic for the first time in a long time (as well people). But actual rush hour traffic was something I haven't seen in a long time, eg in the Wacker/Orleans/Franklin area.

Zapatan Aug 13, 2022 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9688460)
Yeah, it is a ways off, but impact on future property value, planning, and perception of the Loop from others in the market will be immediate.

Yea, here’s to hoping it spurs some more ambitious skyscrapers

Randomguy34 Sep 21, 2022 9:33 PM

Some interesting stuff from today's Crain's real estate forum:

Quote:

At a @CrainsChicago real estate forum where Mike Reschke from Prime Group confirms that over last several years #Chicago has been top destination for talent in entire @Google North America network because young professionals value the quality of life and amenities we offer 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
https://twitter.com/chicagosamir/sta...84154587598851

Quote:

Reschke says Chicago most popular U.S. big-city destination among 25-45-year-old Google employees.
https://twitter.com/agallun/status/1572583941194002438

Quote:

Prime Group will start demo of Thompson Center in early March, Reschke says. What should the city do to turn around LaSalle Street? “You don’t want to repaint the Mona Lisa,” he says. “Preservation is the key.”
https://twitter.com/agallun/status/1572586891610030080

dropdeaded209 Sep 22, 2022 6:09 AM

Interviews and principal filming for Starship Chicago 2 are now complete, the film will be ready by the end of the year.

I can tell you we've got footage from inside the building like nobody has ever seen before.

r18tdi Sep 22, 2022 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 (Post 9738008)
Interviews and principal filming for Starship Chicago 2 are now complete, the film will be ready by the end of the year.

I can tell you we've got footage from inside the building like nobody has ever seen before.

Sweet, can't wait! Your previous films linked in your sig have been a pleasure to watch.

r18tdi Mar 17, 2023 7:00 PM

Not a really a major update, but confirmation from Jahn that Google is pressing ahead despite their recent layoffs.

Quote:

Weekend Interview: Evan Jahn On Jahn Without Helmut
https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...-helmut-118133

Bisnow: What project under design by your firm right now are you most excited about?

Jahn: I don't think [it's] any secret that there's a lot of interest and passion in this office for the James R. Thompson Center. I got the opportunity to work on not just such a pivotal piece of architecture in the Loop in Chicago, but now with Google's involvement, it obviously takes on a whole other degree of impact for the city. And obviously, it has a still really big relationship to the legacy of design that Helmut had at that building. It's also a building with unique form that just has so much potential for creating unique space. And that's really what's so exciting about that project is that there's all this opportunity for different types of access and utilization and vibrancy brought into the downtown business district to make it an exemplary project for how big, design-focused projects can have such a big impact on the financial viability and stability of downtown areas.

Bisnow: So Google bought the Thompson Center last summer, they said that you guys were going to revamp it, Prime Group was going to do some revitalization of the building, and then they were going to take occupancy in 2026. And then in January, Google announced 12,000 layoffs. Is that project still on track? Or have there been any changes with all that movement?

Jahn: No, the project's still moving forward. I think that Google still has every intention on occupying the building. It just brings more of a microscope on not just this project, but what Google's doing on all their real estate improvements and projects, and being very diligent with where they're spending their money. And so does it change the environment from maybe what we would have seen two years ago or even further before that? Yeah. Probably. In the end, it's putting more emphasis on making sure that the design and the performance of the building really align and are shown as real paybacks for those investments.

Bisnow: Where does that project stand right now?

Jahn: There are different areas of building that are in different phases. But overall, I'd say we're probably close to an end of schematic design on it.

Zapatan Mar 19, 2023 7:10 PM

Didn't they already sign the deal?

r18tdi Jun 1, 2023 5:33 PM

MAS Context has "Starship Chicago II," a documentary film produced and directed by Nathan Eddy, hosted on its site between now and June 18:

https://mascontext.com/events/starsh...cago-ii-online

bhawk66 Jun 1, 2023 8:06 PM

Good stuff. Sketchy times for office real estate. Thanks for posting this ^. Oddly, I have faith in Google with this. I think they'll do right by it.

r18tdi Jun 1, 2023 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhawk66 (Post 9958823)
Good stuff. Sketchy times for office real estate. Thanks for posting this ^. Oddly, I have faith in Google with this. I think they'll do right by it.

I hope you're right.

PS: Also worth noting that our very own "dropdeaded209" is the filmmaker. Excellent work, as always.

bhawk66 Jun 1, 2023 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 9958854)
I hope you're right.

PS: Also worth noting that our very own "dropdeaded209" is the filmmaker. Excellent work, as always.

Cheers to that! This was a very good piece. Nice work DDed209.

The marble guy was an especially nice add. I always appreciated the floors there, but hearing first hand the amount of human effort involved makes it more appreciated. Two years work on that craftmanship. Wow. So glad this building has a new chapter coming.

Toasty Joe Jun 1, 2023 11:36 PM

I hope Google pushes to keep the color (maybe add yellow?) to maintain the kitschy nature of the building. Can't see them in some sterilized stainless steel version of this

le_brew Jun 2, 2023 11:13 PM

Preservationists be grateful the building ain’t biting the dust. Have your preferences, but let the new owners, and the current climate determine current needs, and go with it. Certain areas like lower-level tile could be landmarked, but for heaven’s sake, this is not the Eighties. I like what I heard from Jahn; cannot wait for release of schematics.

le_brew Aug 22, 2023 11:01 PM

2026?

Any news on this project (other than cancellation) gets my immediate attention. Seems delayed: Is 2026 realistic at this point?
https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin..._content=alert

Zapatan Aug 23, 2023 2:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_brew (Post 10020439)
Any news on this project (other than cancellation) gets my immediate attention. Seems delayed: Is 2026 realistic at this point?

Can't read the article, what's the gist?

How does Google of all people f this one up?

galleyfox Aug 23, 2023 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 10020542)
Can't read the article, what's the gist?

How does Google of all people f this one up?

There’s nothing much about Google. They seem to be looking over designs and such.

The entire rest of the article is just the usual office market discussions.

west-town-brad Aug 23, 2023 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_brew (Post 10020439)

google is telling employees 2026.... which I laughed at when they relayed that info to me....

Randomguy34 Aug 26, 2023 3:05 PM

Current status from the developer

Quote:

The Prime Group is busy stripping the building down to its steel structure and rebuilding it with a new curtain wall to make way for an unknown number of Google employees to move in. Google employs about 2,000 people throughout the city.
https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...t-ahead-120192

BrickellBased Aug 26, 2023 7:03 PM

How come? That's 3+ years. It can certainly be accomplished in that time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by west-town-brad (Post 10020764)
google is telling employees 2026.... which I laughed at when they relayed that info to me....

Chi-Sky21 Aug 26, 2023 11:36 PM

Maybe they do not want to be in there while all the renovation is going on? When does THAT start?

BrickellBased Aug 28, 2023 6:33 PM

Potential Completion Date Revealed For Thompson Center Redevelopment[

In before someone else reposts this...

https://chicagoyimby.com/2023/08/55832.html

Quote:

Potential Completion Date Revealed For Thompson Center Redevelopment

The Prime Group will continue to manage the redevelopment as an article by Bisnow claims they are busy gutting much of the structure to prepare it for a new curtain wall. We also have observed the slow preservation and preparation of Jean Dubuffet’s Monument with Standing Beast to be moved to the Art Institute soon as well. The developer has also claimed the new office space will open a year later than the pre-Google plans called for, with an anticipated completion some time in 2026.

west-town-brad Aug 28, 2023 6:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrickellBased (Post 10024307)
How come? That's 3+ years. It can certainly be accomplished in that time.

certainly could....

galleyfox Oct 18, 2023 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnk (Post 10061594)
What's this? I'm paywalled on the Suntimes link

https://chicago.suntimes.com/columni...ecture-lee-bey

Demolition of Thompson Center facade, atrium for Google makeover approved by city

The $6 million demolition isn’t a complete surprise, but it possibly means the end of the building’s current blue, salmon and white color scheme, one of its signature features.

By Lee Bey Oct 17, 2023, 5:04pm CDT

The metal and glass exterior and interior atrium of the Thompson Center will be demolished as a prelude to Google’s $280 million rehab of the building.Anthony Vazquez/Sun-Times
The city has granted permits to demolish the exterior and atrium of the Thompson Center — a critical early step in Google’s $280 million efforts to remake the former state government building into the company’s Chicago headquarters.

Under permits issued Oct. 13 by the Department of Buildings, Google will — at minimum — remove the metal and glass skin on the 17-story structure at 100 W. Randolph St. and on its soaring, trademark atrium as well.

The demolition project is expected to cost $6 million, according to the permit.

The rest of the article just covers the history of the building.

Then a few comments from the local preservation groups.

Landmarks Illinois is realistic, and Preservation Chicago is in denial.

Quote:

Landmarks Illinois CEO Bonnie McDonald, whose organization helped lead efforts to preserve the Thompson Center, said she has not seen the demolition permit, but allowed there are “known concerns about the energy efficiency of the building’s current non-insulated windows.”

Added McDonald: “While we realize losing the existing windows would change the character of the building and add to the waste stream, we also recognize the need and opportunity to make historic buildings more energy efficient — something Landmarks Illinois supports. We take in the big picture that the building is being reused, and that is a win.”

But Preservation Chicago said it wants Google and the city to protect the Thompson Center by granting the building landmark status.

dropdeaded209 Oct 19, 2023 5:35 AM

Starship Chicago II is also now free to watch on Vimeo.

Runs 40 minutes, interviews with Evan Jahn, Mike Reschke, Bonnie McDonald, Ward Miller, Stewart Hicks, Maurice Cox, Elizabeth Blasius, and Phil Castillo.

There is also a segment with Ben Capp, former president of Wolverine Stone, who discusses the work that went into assembling the atrium floor--also likely to be ripped out as part of the renovation.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bcee0d4e_z.jpg

le_brew Oct 19, 2023 12:22 PM

Should thompson-center-be-used-as-a-temp-shelter

WGN Radio 720
The Thompson Center, (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)
"It's right in front of our eyes, and Google needs to make a deal and help the people of Chicago."- Roger Romanelli, Chicago-Cook County Coalition for Humane Migrant Management

https://wgnradio.com/the-althimer-sh...-for-migrants/

SolarWind Oct 21, 2023 8:35 AM

October 17, 2023

October 19, 2023

Just a current view. No work yet.

ithakas Oct 21, 2023 1:33 PM

It's supposed to be open as a site of the Chicago Architecture Biennial, in case anyone wants to see it again before renovations begin: https://chicagoarchitecturebiennial....ompson-center/

Tom In Chicago Dec 8, 2023 3:16 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...6056efa2&ei=30

Quote:

Scoop: Thompson Center demolition to begin in February

Demolition on parts of the James R. Thompson Center will begin early next year.
. . .

twister244 Dec 8, 2023 3:33 PM

I read this as:
- They are going to keep the structure in tact and re-do the glass, yes?

If so, not sure that's a bad thing?

r18tdi Dec 8, 2023 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 10097662)
I read this as:
- They are going to keep the structure in tact and re-do the glass, yes?

If so, not sure that's a bad thing?

The new vision glass will be clear, so the polarizing blue and salmon scheme is going away. Depends on your POV if that's good or bad.

I will say that the demo will be something interesting to follow and document, since there's not a lot of new towers breaking ground in 2024.

Jstange059 Dec 8, 2023 9:19 PM

All the salmon and blue panels could have gone well with the colors of Google's logo in my opinion. The building will still stand out due to its distinctive shape, but I hope they don't make it otherwise look generic and let it retain some of its PoMo flair. Also I hope the atrium will remain open to the public.

Zapatan Dec 8, 2023 10:12 PM

Is this the current plan? It's from less than 2 months ago so I'm assuming yes...

https://chicagoyimby.com/2023/10/tho...-the-loop.html

EDIT: Sorry for poor quality / resizing. Not sure how to prevent that.

https://chicagoyimby.com/wp-content/...-2048x1107.png

r18tdi Dec 8, 2023 10:20 PM

Nope, that's an old pre-2021 conceptual rendering produced before Mike Reschke and Google got involved.
They claimed the design has changed substantially since then, but nothing has been made public yet.

arCHItecture_ Dec 13, 2023 2:06 PM

Urbanize shared new renderings of Google's redevelopment!!

https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/g...-redevelopment

https://chicago.urbanize.city/sites/...?itok=YqJkdDJ5

https://chicago.urbanize.city/sites/...?itok=u8KxAgx-

Kngkyle Dec 13, 2023 2:12 PM

This is the most exciting and impactful development in the city right now. With Google steering the redevelopment I don't expect this to get VE'd either. The renderings look promising.

sentinel Dec 13, 2023 3:08 PM

Love it! Modern, refreshed, and even more accessible somehow, while retaining the most important aspects of the original design. And the fact that the original architecture firm is doing the work only makes it feel even more appropriate.

Do we know what is happening with the Dubuffet sculpture currently in the plaza?

r18tdi Dec 13, 2023 3:10 PM

Definitely an improvement over the half-baked earlier renderings. That mezzanine just above the plaza level looks interesting, but somewhat lessens the impact of the atrium during the entry sequence. I would like to see more of the interior and the atrium treatment specifically.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 10101597)

Do we know what is happening with the Dubuffet sculpture currently in the plaza?

Headed to the Art Institute.

ithakas Dec 13, 2023 3:14 PM

Looks great.

The Dubuffet was originally going to be relocated to the State's new offices at 115 S. LaSalle, but it appears it's now being donated to the Art Institute: https://www.costar.com/article/39777...nt-nears-start

r18tdi Dec 13, 2023 3:41 PM

Here's the official blog post announcement from Google, in case folks were curious:

https://blog.google/inside-google/li...ompson-center/

Mr Downtown Dec 13, 2023 3:42 PM

Looks like Urbanize took those images from Google's blog, which gives some additional brief description and context.