SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 301 & 321 S Wacker Drive | 2 x 775 FT | 2 x 49 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225692)

Skyguy_7 Oct 23, 2020 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcp (Post 9083072)
...snip...the number one ego trip element is profit margin (mixed with quality work and happy bank / investors).

This is a great comment and it needs to be repeated. :cheers:

vexxed82 Oct 23, 2020 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9083390)
In a competitive market like Chicago, every developer is looking for an advantage, or a *potential* advantage over rivals. If the office market starts to rebound, and if this developer is in position to break ground immediately, they have a huge advantage. Other developers will not be able to match this head start.

A groundbreaking in late 2021 is likely after the pandemic is effectively over, we should have widespread and available vaccinations by that time. It may be late enough for the developers to assess the office market and have enough information to pull the trigger or not. This only works if they already have their ducks in a row.

If you're skeptical the office market will actually rebound post-Covid, you're not alone... but in a properly functioning market there's always a few people who are betting against the conventional wisdom. Occasionally they strike it big.

I guess if I consider this a risky gamble, it makes much more sense. But with all of the new space that was slated to come online, filling just filling that office space in a post-COVID world seems like it would be a successful rebound in and of itself. Though I shouldn't complain. I'm all for building, so fingers crossed it moves forward.

ardecila Oct 23, 2020 10:34 PM

For some tenants, being the first or second tenant to sign onto a proposed tower comes with certain advantages. You have your pick of the floors in the building, unlimited flexibility to rent multiple adjacent floors in a block as needed, and you have a lot of leverage to get concessions, rent breaks or even sometimes design changes out of the developer. Sometimes naming rights are at stake, signage/branding opportunities, etc.

If a tenant is looking at a new building that's 50-60% leased and already under construction, they have a lot less leverage when they cut a deal with the developer.

Tom In Chicago Oct 24, 2020 9:30 PM

Going through my archives I finally found the massing diagram showing the original 3 tower proposal by Lincoln Properties back in the late 1980s. . .

. . .

Tom In Chicago Oct 24, 2020 9:36 PM

Also somewhat related. . . found an old rendering in an issue of Inland Architect from 1990 that indicated there were supposed to be small fin-like spires atop 311. . .

. . .

VKChaz Oct 25, 2020 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhawk66 (Post 9083044)
Triplets is right. If you can see the "wings" on the back of the existing 311 S, that's where they were supposed to be attached to. Funny, now it's just assumed the building by itself was supposed to look like that. Kind of awkward in actuality, but forgivable.

Would have been nice to have had three towers making use of granite cladding. Instead of what looks to be cookie-cutter blue glass

Ned.B Oct 26, 2020 1:52 PM

I have two concerns for this development:

First I think we had heard originally that the north twin might be built first. It would be a shame though to lose that green space (which is actually really well used in the summer, but probably would be less so in the shade of a tower to the south) while that parking lot persists for years or decades more.

Second, from a study that our office took on for the building a few years back, there is a good chance that the towers will also come with a complete reconstruction of the winter garden, which I would hate to see turned into a bland austere modern space.

HomrQT Oct 26, 2020 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago (Post 9084364)
Going through my archives I finally found the massing diagram showing the original 3 tower proposal by Lincoln Properties back in the late 1980s. . .

. . .

Dang, that would have been awesome. Thanks for sharing! :cheers:

Toasty Joe Oct 27, 2020 5:55 AM

bummed with the uninspired design & height... could they even build a tower taller than 311 s wacker (say southern lot only) given proximity to the illuminated crown?

TallBob Oct 27, 2020 7:28 AM

Why 2 towers anyway? How about ONE 1100 footer and know the thing will probably be 40% average vacancy for 3-4 years? The extra cost of construction (time wasted for a future development that may not happen at all) and digging another Hole should end up costing about the same as a single much taller building.

Zapatan Oct 27, 2020 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallBob (Post 9086381)
Why 2 towers anyway? How about ONE 1100 footer and know the thing will probably be 40% average vacancy for 3-4 years? The extra cost of construction (time wasted for a future development that may not happen at all) and digging another Hole should end up costing about the same as a single much taller building.

Construction and engineering costs skyrocket after like 1000' or something. Obviously there are a lot of factors at play but what makes you say it'd be "about the same"?

pianowizard Oct 27, 2020 7:59 PM

^ That's what I've heard as well, and is the reason why so many 700-to-900 footers are being proposed and constructed: apparently that's the sweet spot in terms of benefit-cost ratio. For skyscraper fans this can be disappointing, since some of the 900+ footers would be supertalls if they were just a tad taller, but most developers don't care about that, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

TallBob Oct 28, 2020 5:31 AM

I suppose some of know more about construction costs than myself. Question: What would the cost be of the time digging, drilling, foundation creation, ect., and then getting to grade and then the first 8-10 floors for a 50-60 story office building?
I've heard some of these arguments for years....Just currious I guess.

LouisVanDerWright Oct 28, 2020 5:57 AM

Why not a 5,000' office tower where the loss factor is 54%?

skysoar Oct 28, 2020 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pianowizard (Post 9087102)
^ That's what I've heard as well, and is the reason why so many 700-to-900 footers are being proposed and constructed: apparently that's the sweet spot in terms of benefit-cost ratio. For skyscraper fans this can be disappointing, since some of the 900+ footers would be supertalls if they were just a tad taller, but most developers don't care about that, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Very interesting, but does the cost become prohibitive over 1000 feet if you add a crown or something of that type. You may be right though about benefit-cost ratio, maybe that is the reason some newly built or proposed New York skyscrapers are in the 50 to 60 story range but with crowns or antennas list over 1000 feet. Even so if 301 and 325 Wacker Drive twin towers had sizeable crowns atop them both, that would be awesome...

rgarri4 Oct 28, 2020 4:39 PM

From my 3D model of Chicago.

https://images2.imgbox.com/88/b3/bFSBBOjl_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/17/7c/GFFnZ0Wm_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/a1/15/ZG9QZkG2_o.jpg

Bonus shots of the unbuilt original proposal.

https://images2.imgbox.com/57/b1/AQtkmagM_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/45/e6/9LvRukMs_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/07/d9/hnuora3a_o.jpg

pianowizard Oct 28, 2020 5:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysoar (Post 9087873)
Even so if 301 and 325 Wacker Drive twin towers had sizeable crowns atop them both, that would be awesome...

For you and me it might seem like a no-brainer to spend another, say, $500k to add some vanity height, but most penny-pinching developers would disagree.

Luckily a few developers do care for vanity height and bragging rights. Look at Chicago's 6th and 7th tallest buildings, Franklin Center and 2 Prudential Plaza. Their roofs are only around 900 ft, probably to keep the benefit-cost ratio reasonable, but both have spires that go just high enough to reach supertall status.

At only 775', 301 & 321 S Wacker Drive are too far below the 984' mark to ever become supertalls -- they would look rather silly with 210' spires -- although it's still nice that they will be the tallest identical twin buildings in North America, assuming their heights aren't cut. NOTE: The "twins" at Harbour Plaza in Toronto are not identical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarri4 (Post 9088040)
From my 3D model of Chicago.

Being right next to Sears/Willis, these "tallest identical twin buildings in North America" look like midgets. *SIGH*

Zapatan Oct 28, 2020 5:41 PM

Nice work rgarri, although I must say 311 South Wacker triplets looks a bit odd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pianowizard (Post 9088081)
For you and me it might seem like a no-brainer to spend another, say, $500k to add some vanity height, but most penny-pinching developers would disagree.

Luckily a few developers do care for vanity height and bragging rights. Look at Chicago's 6th and 7th tallest buildings, Franklin Center and 2 Prudential Plaza. Their roofs are only around 900 ft, probably to keep the benefit-cost ratio reasonable, but both have spires that go just high enough to reach supertall status.

At only 775', 301 & 321 S Wacker Drive are too far below the 984' mark to ever become supertalls -- they would look rather silly with 210' spires -- although it's still nice that they will be the tallest identical twin buildings in North America, assuming their heights aren't cut. NOTE: The "twins" at Harbour Plaza in Toronto are not identical.

Not sure reaching supertall status was intentional for those buildings, I don't think most developers care about such an arbitrary number or even know it exists.

Spires are kinda lame unless they really fit the design, I'd rather just have two 775' buildings with cool roof gardens.

Quote:

Being right next to Sears/Willis, these "tallest identical twin buildings in North America" look like midgets. *SIGH*
Well yea, Sears is huge

Chi-Sky21 Oct 28, 2020 5:55 PM

New proposal looks way better than 3 of 311 S Wackers. That just looks weird. Good work as always rgarri

Barrelfish Oct 28, 2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 9088135)
New proposal looks way better than 3 of 311 S Wackers. That just looks weird. Good work as always rgarri

I agree with all parts of this

maru2501 Oct 29, 2020 3:26 AM

yeah how much office space does white castle really need

TallBob Oct 29, 2020 4:04 AM

^^lol! Lots of "Sliders"!

bhawk66 Oct 29, 2020 2:51 PM

That's not at all what the original plan was. Pure artist embellishment. But thanks for playing.

TallBob Oct 30, 2020 5:51 AM

At any rate, I'd like to see something significant go up on that site before I croak!

Skyy Oct 31, 2020 3:12 AM

Ugh if only they had built the other two, would have been a perfect postmodern paradise

Steely Dan Oct 31, 2020 3:34 AM

^ blech

One 311 s wacker is too much as it is.

Perhaps my least favorite major tower in the skyline.

rgarri4 Oct 31, 2020 5:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhawk66 (Post 9089062)
That's not at all what the original plan was. Pure artist embellishment. But thanks for playing.

Go back a page. I doubt the developer would use a non serious artist embellishment to advertise what they were planning.

Little_T Nov 4, 2020 1:34 AM

311 S Wacker

Three 311 S Wacker's look too much like a housing project. Thanks for the modeling but one is plenty.

bhawk66 Nov 5, 2020 4:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarri4 (Post 9090867)
Go back a page. I doubt the developer would use a non serious artist embellishment to advertise what they were planning.

FWIW, I remember seeing the plan for additional two towers back then. They were diagonally connected to the two "wings" (if you will) on the existing 311 S Wacker. Not free standing. Look at the existing building design. Those offshoots on the back/sides of the building were designed with that in mind. I can't say when the massing design on the previous page came exactly. Maybe it was much earlier in the process. As you can see in that design the towers were hexagonal, for example. The final is octagonal.

rlw777 Sep 10, 2021 10:47 PM

According to This a zoning variance has been granted for these to reduce the parking requirements provided that construction starts by July of 2022.

rivernorthlurker Sep 10, 2021 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw777 (Post 9392962)
According to This a zoning variance has been granted for these to reduce the parking requirements provided that construction starts by July of 2022.

Whoa! This is potentially huge news!

Saw this in the article

Quote:

"While we’re blathering on about what was “supposed” to happen here but never did, when 311 South Wacker was built 30-something years ago, it was supposed to rehab an abandoned east-west streetcar tunnel under the Chicago River for use as a pedway link to Union Station. Why the city repeatedly allows real estate developers to shirk their stated commitments to the city’s Pedway system is one of those things we’ll never understand."
So they're a tunnel running under the river on Jackson??

Zapatan Sep 11, 2021 12:01 AM

Awesome

Quote:

The 1986 zoning for this block has an overall F.A.R. of 32.44. Which is a lot. The city also permits a maximum building height of 1,000 feet on this block. That’s 39 feet taller than the already-constructed building.

This doesn’t mean we’ll see a pair of 1,000-foot-tall buildings, but that certainly would be interesting. The reason there’s a big parking lot next to 311 South Wacker is because when 311 was built, it was supposed to have a 65-story twin tower in that space, but it was never built.
I'd be happy with 775 foot twin towers but it'd be awesome if they could build near supertall range or even high 800's in this spot.

left of center Sep 11, 2021 3:40 AM

Really interesting if we see anything start rising from this block next summer. Any idea on which tower/site would be developed first? Ideally the parking lot on the southwest corner of the site goes first, for aesthetic reasons...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9392995)
So they're a tunnel running under the river on Jackson??

Yup! Actually its midblock between Van Buren and Jackson (about 150 feet north of Van Buren). It was an old street car tunnel, one of three total in the Loop. The others were at Washington and Lasalle, the former which still has the tunnel portals very visible (used for underground parking garage access now).

The ripping up/paving over of the old street car network was one of the greatest travesties that has happened in this city, considering we had one of the largest networks in the world.

JMKeynes Sep 11, 2021 10:56 AM

Wasn’t JP Morgan Chase considering this site?

Mikelacey45 Sep 11, 2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMKeynes (Post 9393302)

That’s what I thought! I hope this become Fruition

JMKeynes Sep 11, 2021 1:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikelacey45 (Post 9393320)
That’s what I thought! I hope this become Fruition

Me too!

sentinel Sep 11, 2021 2:23 PM

I hope the design has changed.

chicubs111 Sep 11, 2021 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMKeynes (Post 9393302)

No... the site that JP Morgan Chase was looking at is 401 S. Wacker Drive ...right across street from these sites ... This is the potential mystery proposal someone brought up months back about a 80 plus story office tower or something like that..

JMKeynes Sep 11, 2021 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 9393377)
No... the site that JP Morgan Chase was looking at is 401 S. Wacker Drive ...right across street from these sites ... This is the potential mystery proposal someone brought up months back about a 80 plus story office tower or something like that..

Thanks. I thought that they were looking at a few sites, including that one.

rivernorthlurker Sep 11, 2021 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 9393355)
I hope the design has changed.

After 5 years seems plausible.

rivernorthlurker Sep 11, 2021 4:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 9393203)
Really interesting if we see anything start rising from this block next summer. Any idea on which tower/site would be developed first? Ideally the parking lot on the southwest corner of the site goes first, for aesthetic reasons...

Yup! Actually its midblock between Van Buren and Jackson (about 150 feet north of Van Buren). It was an old street car tunnel, one of three total in the Loop. The others were at Washington and Lasalle, the former which still has the tunnel portals very visible (used for underground parking garage access now).

The ripping up/paving over of the old street car network was one of the greatest travesties that has happened in this city, considering we had one of the largest networks in the world.

Cool thanks, I remember hearing something about these a while back.

Here's the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street...els_in_Chicago

And here's a very nice video on YouTube about them! (with 200k views) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trCkptXQc1E

The video was just added a month ago by a YouTube history channel, so nice timing.

Mister Uptempo Sep 11, 2021 6:38 PM

Quote:

Obviously, the crews that built BMO Tower encountered the Van Buren tunnel. Anybody know how they dealt with it? Could the tunnel still be tied back into Union Station and the all-weather passage that will eventually be completed to the Clinton Blue Line Station?

LouisVanDerWright Sep 11, 2021 8:18 PM

Quote:

OK, I'll take two 65 floor office towers next 311 Wacker and an 80 story plus one at 401 thank you very much...

ardecila Sep 12, 2021 5:42 PM

Quote:

It was an old street car tunnel, one of three total in the Loop. The others were at Washington and Lasalle, the former which still has the tunnel portals very visible (used for underground parking garage access now).

No, the ramp at LaSalle/Kinzie that leads to Carroll St is a block south of where the old tunnel portal used to sit. None of the old portals remain visible, although in most cases the structures are still there underground.

The LaSalle tunnel was severed by the Blue Line subway under Lake St, and the Van Buren Tunnel now has underground parking garages sitting at both of the old portal locations. Washington is really the only tunnel that could still be used, but it's not clear for what.

Actually I think 311 S Wacker was designed to integrate with the tunnel in the future, if the city ever decided to use it. From the lower level of the winter garden, they'd just need to add one pair of escalators going down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo (Post 9393504)
Obviously, the crews that built BMO Tower encountered the Van Buren tunnel. Anybody know how they dealt with it? Could the tunnel still be tied back into Union Station and the all-weather passage that will eventually be completed to the Clinton Blue Line Station?

Not sure but I imagine they obliterated it for the core foundation. It probably still remains in place up to the west line of Canal St so it could still be connected via elevator/stairs to the Union Station pedway.

Mr Downtown Sep 13, 2021 12:17 AM

The problem with using the old streetcar tunnel as a pedway is how unrelievedly boring it is. It's one thing to walk 1000 feet on a sidewalk, past shop windows and intervening streets, but an entirely different thing to walk that far in a lonely underground tunnel. For anyone to ever use it—except when it's below 0º—you'd have to put in a little shuttle, like the Senate Subway or Denver airport. Maybe we could put some electric scooters at both ends.

BuildThemTaller Sep 13, 2021 1:33 AM

I can think of a way to make it interesting.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/uN3B..._1180043.6.jpg

munchymunch Sep 13, 2021 4:55 AM

Quote:

Hello.

https://www.cushmanwakefield.com/en/...16s116117992-l

Klippenstein Sep 13, 2021 6:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munchymunch (Post 9394461)

Looks like it's only 31 floors.

That listing is almost the same as this one from 2016/2017 over on LoopNet.

Ned.B Sep 13, 2021 2:57 PM

Quote:

Chase has also been looking at the 321 S Wacker site too. I don't understand why though. Why would they want their new signature tower to be overshadowed by it's immediate neighbor and visually competing against another future tower on the other parcel?

Tom In Chicago Sep 13, 2021 4:54 PM

Is there enough vacant space at Sears Tower to consolidate Chase operations? Maybe a name change as well?

. . .