SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 851 FT & 765 FT | 73 & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

HomrQT Dec 27, 2017 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8029801)
It isn't.

Chicago hotels live off of Mag Mile shopping and conventions/trade shows. There's a reason more than 90 percent of all Chicago hotel rooms are within 600 feet of Michigan Avenue.

Hotel patrons don't pay a big premium for height/views, and hotel rooms make the elevatoring even less efficient. Usually a lot less, since you want separate elevators for hotel and condos.

Could the project at 400 N LSD not find similar success like the Wanda Vista? They would have similar offerings. Tall, mixed use, a slightly longer than 600ft walk to Michigan Ave.

Notyrview Dec 27, 2017 8:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8029807)

Let's be real, the sickest thing that could happen is to rebuild a slightly taller version of the Waldorf Astoria. I'm allowed to dream :yes:

Nuh uh, The Waldorf Astoria is so 2000

nomarandlee Dec 27, 2017 9:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8029817)
Could the project at 400 N LSD not find similar success like the Wanda Vista? They would have similar offerings. Tall, mixed use, a slightly longer than 600ft walk to Michigan Ave.

Tall isn't an offering. Neither is mixed-use for its own sake. It is FAR off the heart of Michigan to be considered in any way convenient. It would be as strange as staying at the LondonHouse or Intercontinental if you wanted to be close to Ohio beach/NP.

The only major advantage that 400 LSD may have over various other locations is potential access to the lakefront path and Navy Pier when the new Ped bridge gets built (will Dusable Park have a ramp?). Not small perks but not likely to draw in a slew of high-end clients either except unless if you are a major outdoor bike/run enthusiast. Is that a bigger plus than being close to Michigan Ave for high-end buyers? Doubtful.......

I think the best lots for a supertall are the south of NBC Tower lot and the Nordstrom/Northbridge lots off of Wabash if reimagined correctly. Which last I saw latest plans seemed completely underwhelming.

If the Renaissance on Wacker were ever torn down and some slender tall tower could be built on the lot those could provide some great vistas and locations as well.

HomrQT Dec 27, 2017 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 8029880)
Tall isn't an offering. Neither is mixed-use for its own sake. It is FAR off the heart of Michigan to be considered in any way convenient. It would be as strange as staying at the LondonHouse or Intercontinental if you wanted to be close to Ohio beach/NP.

The only major advantage that 400 LSD may have over various other locations is potential access to the lakefront path and Navy Pier when the new Ped bridge gets built (will Dusable Park have a ramp?). Not small perks but not likely to draw in a slew of high-end clients either except unless if you are a major outdoor bike/run enthusiast. Is that a bigger plus than being close to Michigan Ave for high-end buyers? Doubtful.......

I think the best lots for a supertall are the south of NBC Tower lot and the Nordstrom/Northbridge lots off of Wabash if reimagined correctly. Which last I saw latest plans seemed completely underwhelming.

If the Renaissance on Wacker were ever torn down and some slender tall tower could be built on the lot those could provide some great vistas and locations as well.

Sorry if I didn't make my thoughts clearer. The Wanda Vista is a very tall mixed use building that is a somewhat similar distance from Michigan Ave. So I don't understand the reality of Wanda Vista being built and looking like it will be a successful project, and a 2,000 foot building at 400 N LSD being called not feasible. 400 N LSD will most likely also have a park attached to it.

UPChicago Dec 27, 2017 9:56 PM

In my opinion, saying a 2,000-foot tower at 400 North Lake Shore Drive is not feasible or not possible is ridiculous, especially when you consider that the Chicago Spire had sales contracts on 30% of its supply of condos, accounting for around 360 units. In a normal scenario, the developer would have been able to secure a full construction loan. Yes, those condos were sold during the height of a real estate bubble but there is no reason in my mind why a new developer would not be able to build a 2,000-foot tower. That said I think it is highly unlikely and personally undesirable to see a 2,000-foot tower in that location.

donnie Dec 27, 2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 8029880)

Keep those anemic looking towers out of Chicago!
:sly::sly::sly::sly::sly::sly:

chris08876 Dec 28, 2017 1:25 AM

^^^^

Wasn't the Waldorf project canceled due to financing issues?

What a shame that proposal occurred during the recession or before things really went sour (due to the burning bag of poop left after Bushy Bush left).

This was one of my favorite proposals back in the day for Chicago. Elegant, smooth, and classy, right by the river.

It's only a shame this couldn't have been proposed at a better time, like now for example.

Sky88 Dec 28, 2017 11:58 AM

Why a project like 7 south dearborn is not considered? This is a mixed-use tower, which could be perfect for 400 N LSD place.;)

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/06...0_0.00_jpg_srz

the urban politician Dec 28, 2017 2:17 PM

Why do people keep posting on this useless thread where nothing is happening, nothing is close to happening, especially when so much more interesting stuff is happening elsewhere in the city?

Sky88 Dec 28, 2017 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8030348)
Why do people keep posting on this useless thread where nothing is happening, nothing is close to happening, especially when so much more interesting stuff is happening elsewhere in the city?

Perhaps, because there are not much more interesting things in other parts of the city.;)

Mr Downtown Dec 28, 2017 4:52 PM

^Because for most young men, masturbation involves fantasization.

BVictor1 Mar 28, 2018 4:28 AM

400 N. LSD mini info...

Okay, so thi is is what I've heard through more than reputable channels;

-Expect two towers

-I asked if one would be taller than the bKL one in LSE, and was told "way"

-Was mentioned a material not used in almost 100 years would be apart of the project and C. Shawn yelled out 'terra-cotta' and there was no response other than we know too much already. We both said at the same time 'SHoP Architects', and again met with silence.

Curius

Stay tuned for community meetings I'm guessing later this year

PansitPinoy Mar 28, 2018 5:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8135359)
400 N. LSD mini info...

I can't wait..! It's been a long time comin'

left of center Mar 28, 2018 5:21 AM

Quote:

400 N. LSD mini info...

-Expect two towers

-Was mentioned a material not used in almost 100 years would be apart of the project and C. Shawn yelled out 'terra-cotta' and there was no response other than we know too much already. We both said at the same time 'SHoP Architects', and again met with silence.

Curius

Stay tuned for community meetings I'm guessing later this year

Well, this is pretty damn exciting... keep us posted BVic!

Rocket49 Mar 28, 2018 6:20 AM

Quote:

400 N. LSD mini info...

-Expect two towers

Sorry, but which building in Lakeshore East is “bKL one”?

Thanks

BVictor1 Mar 28, 2018 7:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket49 (Post 8135411)
Sorry, but which building in Lakeshore East is “bKL one”?

Thanks

Was referring to the taller proposal in at Wacker & LSD

Skyguy_7 Mar 28, 2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

400 N. LSD mini info...

- Expect two towers

- "way" [taller]

- 'terra-cotta'

- 'SHoP'

Bvic, I'm trying not to get my hopes up because it's all unconfirmed, but you just made my month.

the urban politician Mar 28, 2018 12:11 PM

Nice update, BVictor.

But remember that this is a Related, king of the bait and switch...

KWillChicago Mar 28, 2018 12:16 PM

Official announcement 3rd, 4th quarter this year? Or is this "completely" up in the air. Is it too much to expect 800 feet for both of the two towers?

Bombardier Mar 28, 2018 12:41 PM

^^^^I'll just give you one more tickler... It's not SHoP