SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Jjs5056 Feb 15, 2013 7:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 6015734)
Negative nancy. :P

Ha- I know. Just sucks that cities like Tempe can get it right most of the time, yet Phoenix can't even manage to make true urban living desirable in one of its only areas with the potential for upscale walkable amenities. Nowhere else in Phoenix can you be in walking distance of real shopping, fine dining and hotels, as well as bars that attract business professionals and the like. Yes, the existing neighborhood was built to suburban standards, but continuing to build both commercial and residential projects in that style just seems like such a miss to me.

There's no reason places like Grigio Metro, Gracie's and the Vue, for example, can open their doors to the blight that was Apache, yet Broadstone on Camelback barricades itself from Biltmore Fashion Park and The Esplanade.

Fine if this area was meant to always be suburban, but why waste high rises and urban projects like Optima on this area? The city would be much better off if these were all transplanted to midtown on the light rail, with garbage like Broadstone and the office park on 22nd left to the Camelback corridor if that's all it will ever be.

Sigh.

On a positive note, nothing would make me happier than a completed Portland Place. One of the best pockets of urbanity in our city.

PHX31 Feb 15, 2013 3:12 PM

It looked like some work was being done on the really cool historic house next to Portlsnd Place. Anyone know what is up with that? PortlandPlace is cool and all but I'd give up all that stuff to have more of the original neighborhood remaining. It's hard to grasp how awesome most of downtown phoenix was and could be if more ofthe original stock remained.

HooverDam Feb 15, 2013 4:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6016132)
It looked like some work was being done on the really cool historic house next to Portlsnd Place. Anyone know what is up with that? PortlandPlace is cool and all but I'd give up all that stuff to have more of the original neighborhood remaining. It's hard to grasp how awesome most of downtown phoenix was and could be if more ofthe original stock remained.

That building is the Winship house. The City has been using money from various sources to fix it up. The empty lot next to it (directly West) will be considered for inclusion in the Hance Park redesign. The Winship house will likely become a place used by the Sister Cities department. When Phoenix hosts delegations from Ramat Gan, Grenoble, et cetera, it'll be for formal meals in that house.

Re: Portland Place, Tim Sprague, the developer, says they're moving forward. Instead of Phases 2 and 3 though, it'll just be a phase 2. It's going to be one much wider building, thats 10-11 floors (I think, can't recall exactly). It'll look similar to Phase 1 and be done in a matching style. He claims in the last few months that interest in Phase 1 has picked up and they've received lots of calls from people about Phase 2 and wanting to buy.

Leo the Dog Feb 15, 2013 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 6016241)
Re: Portland Place, Tim Sprague, the developer, says they're moving forward. Instead of Phases 2 and 3 though, it'll just be a phase 2. It's going to be one much wider building, thats 10-11 floors (I think, can't recall exactly). It'll look similar to Phase 1 and be done in a matching style. He claims in the last few months that interest in Phase 1 has picked up and they've received lots of calls from people about Phase 2 and wanting to buy.

This is great news!

nickw252 Feb 15, 2013 5:55 PM

Portland Place is in my opinion, the best looking condo building in midtown and downtown Phoenix. Apparently I'm not the only one who shares that view as the existing units are rarely for sale, and when they are, sell for a high price per square foot. The neighborhood is also great. I'm excited that the empty lot will be filled up soon.

RichTempe Feb 15, 2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 6016241)

Apparently the news I got from the Roosevelt Square property manager was legit then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichTempe (Post 6015855)
FWIW: I was in the office of Roosevelt Square today (2/14/13) talking to the property manager. She said the developer of the Portland Place Condo's was in last week showing them plans for the next phase of construction. Supposedly it's set to start sometime this summer. The building facing Portland will have 1st floor retail and 4 floors of residential. The building closer to Hance Park will be 9 or 10 floors (she couldn't remember for sure) all residential. There will be a courtyard between the two buildings. Also, construction on the old Lexington Hotel remodel is supposed to start soon. Apparently he was in the office letting management know so residents will know what to expect coming up in the next few months. I'm hopeful this is reliable information, but I really won't believe it until I see ground being broken. :shrug:

nickw252 Feb 17, 2013 2:51 AM

I heard the lot at 1302 W McDowell (between 13th and 15th) is going to a trustee's sale in March. Before the housing bust hit I believe there were supposed to be condos built there.

Jjs5056 Feb 17, 2013 3:07 AM

Would you guys ever consider living in St. Croix Vllas? I hate the exterior design and fact that it's gated, but it looks like there is a 2bed available for $950/m. I have bee wanting to move downtown for a while now, but most of the places I would want have been above my budget. For something so cheap, I think I could make some sacrifices, such as the design.

Additionally, are any of the older, more historic buildings in use along Jefferson? There's Luhrs and a few others that I am ashamed to not know the names of. I think there is some office space being used in one of the Luhrs, but am unsure about the others. There's also a Subway, but the other retail options seem to be vacant. :( Have any of you seen them filled at any point? I would really love to see the retail action spill over from CityScape to activate Jefferson, bringing life south of downtown and maybe start tying in the Warehouse District.

What kind of retail do you think would be successful? Any chance we might see hotel or residential uses for the upper floors of these gorgeous buildings?

Arquitect Feb 17, 2013 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6018161)
Would you guys ever consider living in St. Croix Vllas? I hate the exterior design and fact that it's gated, but it looks like there is a 2bed available for $950/m. I have bee wanting to move downtown for a while now, but most of the places I would want have been above my budget. For something so cheap, I think I could make some sacrifices, such as the design.

Additionally, are any of the older, more historic buildings in use along Jefferson? There's Luhrs and a few others that I am ashamed to not know the names of. I think there is some office space being used in one of the Luhrs, but am unsure about the others. There's also a Subway, but the other retail options seem to be vacant. :( Have any of you seen them filled at any point? I would really love to see the retail action spill over from CityScape to activate Jefferson, bringing life south of downtown and maybe start tying in the Warehouse District.

What kind of retail do you think would be successful? Any chance we might see hotel or residential uses for the upper floors of these gorgeous buildings?

These buildings (Luhrs, Professional Building, Westward Ho) are perfect to become boutique hotels. The biggest problem they face is the lack of parking. Unfortunately that is what has killed most projects that have been thought out for them. It is a shame. A good investment would really make them great jewels in the heart of downtown.

HooverDam Feb 17, 2013 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6018161)
Would you guys ever consider living in St. Croix Vllas? I hate the exterior design and fact that it's gated, but it looks like there is a 2bed available for $950/m.

Its a fine location and if its in your price point, I'd look past the gross exterior. Especially if you're just renting, who cares?

If you expand your search to not just Downtown proper and look between Roosevelt and say Encanto, between the 7's, you'll find lots of cool stuff thats pretty walkable/bikeable/light rail-able.

Jjs5056 Feb 17, 2013 6:47 AM

Thanks- I actually would be giving up free rent to move downtown, so I'm having to decide what things I want in a place I am willing to sacrifice.

nickw252 Feb 17, 2013 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6018282)
Thanks- I actually would be giving up free rent to move downtown, so I'm having to decide what things I want in a place I am willing to sacrifice.

I wouldn't buy in a place like st. Croix villas but I'd probably rent if the price was right. Also, take a look at condos in Executive Towers, Landmark, and Embassy Condos on Craigslist.

alexico Feb 17, 2013 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6016367)
Portland Place is in my opinion, the best looking condo building in midtown and downtown Phoenix. Apparently I'm not the only one who shares that view as the existing units are rarely for sale, and when they are, sell for a high price per square foot. The neighborhood is also great. I'm excited that the empty lot will be filled up soon.

agreed. portland place and Optima Biltmore best looking condo buildings in PHX, AZ

gorgeous rental at Portland

http://www.weknowurban.com/Phoenix/P...ix-az-4884168/

Jjs5056 Feb 17, 2013 6:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! Portland Place and Optima are actually my top 2; both are stunning and in prime locations for me- Portland near the bars and restaurants I go to (and light rail close by to get to the rest) and Optima is walkable to/from work. I think my preference is saving up for a bit and getting into one of those, instead of rushing into a cheaper place I won't necessarily enjoy.

The historic houses are also an option, but I am living in a house now and would love to get away from the maintenance. Additionally, a condo/apt complex provides more of a community feel, IMO.

I do hope with CityScape entering the picture, downtown high rise prices will fall at least a little bit. The original 44 Monroe prices were fairly reasonable, but have gotten a bit outrageous. Roosevelt Pointe is priced well, but too student-oriented for me.

Anyway, didn't mean to turn this into such a personal discussion- but, great that CityScape, Roosevelt Point and a potential Portland Place II are bringing in some more options. We still need more, though, so hoping that the development news someone promised recently will be residential.

Arquitect Feb 17, 2013 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6018591)
Thanks for the suggestions! Portland Place and Optima are actually my top 2; both are stunning and in prime locations for me- Portland near the bars and restaurants I go to (and light rail close by to get to the rest) and Optima is walkable to/from work. I think my preference is saving up for a bit and getting into one of those, instead of rushing into a cheaper place I won't necessarily enjoy.

The historic houses are also an option, but I am living in a house now and would love to get away from the maintenance. Additionally, a condo/apt complex provides more of a community feel, IMO.

I do hope with CityScape entering the picture, downtown high rise prices will fall at least a little bit. The original 44 Monroe prices were fairly reasonable, but have gotten a bit outrageous. Roosevelt Pointe is priced well, but too student-oriented for me.

Anyway, didn't mean to turn this into such a personal discussion- but, great that CityScape, Roosevelt Point and a potential Portland Place II are bringing in some more options. We still need more, though, so hoping that the development news someone promised recently will be residential.

I wouldn't hold my breath on City Scape making downtown apartment prices go down. They won't be cheap. But hopefully with a larger stock prices wil become more reasonable.

alexico Feb 17, 2013 9:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6018591)

based on your budget check One Lexington on Central and maybe Summit at Copper Square

alexico Feb 17, 2013 10:01 PM

speaking with condos, what ever happened the Chateaux on central? I know they were a mil + did they ever start to sell those things? I think they always looked cool from the street.

phxSUNSfan Feb 18, 2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexico (Post 6018771)
speaking with condos, what ever happened the Chateaux on central? I know they were a mil + did they ever start to sell those things? I think they always looked cool from the street.

There are 21 units and they are selling. I know a few families have moved in and the former mayor of Phoenix (Phil Gordon) owns one as well. There was a story about a family that moved into a unit in December (below you will find the link to the story). They relocated from N. Scottsdale to live a more urban life and to be closer to the things they enjoyed (museums, sports, restaurants, schools, etc).

http://www.azcentral.com/home/articl...l-phoenix.html

nickw252 Feb 18, 2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexico (Post 6018771)

I've been watching them for the last year or so just out of curiosity. I think two units sold. The rest are still owned by the "new" developer (MSI West). I still see signs along Central Ave. saying that there are open houses but as of around the beginning of the year none of them are listed for sale on redfin/zillow. Maybe they're turning them into rentals similar to what 44 Monroe did?

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 6018866)
There are 21 units and they are selling. I know a few families have moved in and the former mayor of Phoenix (Phil Gordon) owns one as well.

If you go to the Assessor's site and look at them there are only two units not owned by the developer. I remember seeing the story about former Mayor Gordon but the property records don't show that he owns one.

The Developer, MSI West Investments, LLC, owns 19:

http://i46.tinypic.com/28guv5h.png

phxSUNSfan Feb 18, 2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6018869)
If you go to the Assessor's site and look at them there is only one unit not owned by the developer. It's probably the one couple that moved from Scottsdale. I remember seeing the story about former Mayor Gordon but the property records don't show that he owns one. Save for one, they're all owned by the developer.

Some are probably being leased. I know some exclusive properties are allowed to be leased before an "investor/owner" decides to actually buy the estate. I'm not sure if those are the terms of Gordon's and the others occupancy of the units or not.

Or maybe the records aren't updated which would make sense because the family that bought one of the units isn't listed on the parcel search results you found. According to a few sources, Gordon actually did buy one of the units as well:
Quote:

In addition to finalizing Gordon’s contract terms, a second residence has also been sold at Chateau On Central. “The momentum of our first sales solidifies Chateau On Central as the premier luxury community in the Central Corridor,” said Chateau On Central listing agent Joe Morales. “We are thrilled to welcome Mayor Phil Gordon to the community as the first homebuyer. Having the mayor as a resident at Chateau On Central speaks volumes for his continued commitment to seeing downtown Phoenix flourish even after he leaves public office.”
http://www.chateauoncentral.com/2011...rst-homeowner/

http://www.arizonafoothillsmagazine....top-picks.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/p....html?page=all