SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Vlajos Jul 13, 2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8979338)
Do you notice a significant difference between Illinois and Wisconsin?

Yes, virtually no one wears masks in Wisconsin. I'm here now for a week and I don't think I've seen any locals wearing masks yet.

the urban politician Jul 13, 2020 12:59 PM

I never go to Wisconsin but what I'm hearing is that they essentially are acting like Covid doesn't exist up there

Steely Dan Jul 13, 2020 1:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8979338)
Do you notice a significant difference between Illinois and Wisconsin?

I went to a grocery store in the western suburbs of Milwaukee yesterday.

Every single employee was wearing a mask, but only ~2/3 of the customers were.

A very noticeable difference from Chicago where 100% of customers wear masks in grocery stores.

the urban politician Jul 13, 2020 1:22 PM

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned I can spot assholes in public very easily these days.

No mask? Asshole

With few exceptions, there is no excuse not to wear one. You're just being a dick.

SIGSEGV Jul 13, 2020 1:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8979346)
I never go to Wisconsin but what I'm hearing is that they essentially are acting like Covid doesn't exist up there

Ah sorry, I thought you worked in Wisconsin still.

SIGSEGV Jul 13, 2020 1:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8979368)
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned I can spot assholes in public very easily these days.

No mask? Asshole

With few exceptions, there is no excuse not to wear one. You're just being a dick.

Even worse are people wearing them below their nose.

eschaton Jul 13, 2020 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8979401)
Even worse are people wearing them below their nose.

I hate people who wear masks improperly way more than those who don't wear them at all. After all, they know what the right thing to do is, and with a modicum of additional effort, they could do it. All they have to do is wear the effin mask like an inch higher.

Pedestrian Jul 13, 2020 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 8979465)
I hate people who wear masks improperly way more than those who don't wear them at all. After all, they know what the right thing to do is, and with a modicum of additional effort, they could do it. All they have to do is wear the effin mask like an inch higher.

But their chins would get cold.*

*J/K . . . I agree with you 1000% Strangely, I even seen people on TV when the reporter is reporting about mask wearing doing the chin-warmer thing. It's bizarre people don't get that they expel virus from their noses, or don't care.

iheartthed Jul 13, 2020 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 8979465)

I'm starting to see this a lot more now that NYC is past the worst of it. I don't know if people are just forgetting to pull the mask up when they go inside or what, but it's annoying.

chris08876 Jul 13, 2020 5:39 PM

New York City reports no coronavirus deaths in 24-hour period for the first time, mayor says

Quote:

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said there were no deaths reported within a 24-hour period — a first for the city since the start of the pandemic.

“The fact is for the first time in months we have a 24-hour period where no one in this city died from the Coronavirus, it is so striking and so moving, be Blasio said at a news conference,

“Twenty four hours where no one dies, let’s have many more days like that,” the mayor added.

Despite this good news, de Blasio also said there is a rising infection rates among people in their 20s, a trend he calls, "worrisome."

What the city is doing now: The mayor said the city will be “doubling down” on young adults by offering more mobile testing vans, outreach programs and mask giveaways.

The city, according to the mayor is issuing new guidance on face coverings, saying New Yorkers should wear a face covering as much as possible when around other people in an indoor setting that is not their home.

Mayor de Blasio said the city has set up 10 new testing sites in the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn.

“Our federal government never had testing in place from the beginning, they still don’t have enough… the federal government needs to step up now,” Mayor de Blasio said Monday.
===================
CNN

chris08876 Jul 13, 2020 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8979573)
I'm starting to see this a lot more now that NYC is past the worst of it. I don't know if people are just forgetting to pull the mask up when they go inside or what, but it's annoying.

With outdoor dining in NJ being allowed, I was in a town near where I reside, Somerville NJ, and a lot of folks were out yesterday. Looked like Europe with all the out door dining (maybe a good trend to start!)... but any who, a lot of folks dropping the ball. They had some sort of gathering, and a lot of folks didn't have masks on. A lot of crowds at nearby parks, and nearby In Manville NJ. Over in New Brunswick/Highland Park... same thing.

NJ has been doing quite well, but I feel like folks will become complacent.

Younger folks seem to be the worse offenders from what I've seen.

the urban politician Jul 13, 2020 6:48 PM

Anybody here in a 2-working family with kids?

How are you guys feeling that you will deal with schools in the fall that only have in-person classes only 2-3 days per week?

10023 Jul 13, 2020 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8979293)
^^You know, I just checked. San Francisco, where I live, has had 5.6 COVID deaths/100,000 population. Even Maricopa county, AZ (Phoenix) where they are semi-paniced, has had "only" 26.6 deaths per 100,000 and Miami-Dade, FL 42.5 deaths/100,000.

London has had 137.6 deaths/100,000. But it's London where 10023 is going out to a dine-in restaurant and one presumes a pub from time to time.

Something's wrong here and I don't think it's in San Francisco.

Statistical source (except London): https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...need-to-read_2

That’s great. And yes I have had a half dozen meals in restaurants since they reopened on July 4th.

Epicurean Jul 14, 2020 9:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8979158)
Maybe in the U.K. The rest of Europe has been wearing masks.

Apart from a few old women, I have seen approximately 0 people wearing masks indoors in NL over the past few weeks. When I was in Belgium a couple weekends ago, it was more common, but still far less than half the people who were out and about.

Crawford Jul 14, 2020 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean (Post 8980471)
Apart from a few old women, I have seen approximately 0 people wearing masks indoors in NL over the past few weeks. When I was in Belgium a couple weekends ago, it was more common, but still far less than half the people who were out and about.

Wait, if I walk into a bakery in the Netherlands right now, the proprietor and the customers, almost without fail, will be unmasked in close quarters? I'm skeptical.

kool maudit Jul 14, 2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8980483)
Wait, if I walk into a bakery in the Netherlands right now, the proprietor and the customers, almost without fail, will be unmasked in close quarters? I'm skeptical.

Certainly true in Sweden.

I bought some masks a few weeks ago for a trip abroad but haven't pulled them out of my suitcase since getting home.

tayser Jul 14, 2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh (Post 8979201)
Very little mask wearing here in Australia outside of the Asian community (who traditionally have been more likely to wear them anyway),

This might change with a seeming resurgence of the virus in Melbourne (200+ cases a day, they're re-entering lockdown), but here in Sydney we're only getting 5-10 new cases a day and people are becoming veeeeerry complacent.

National death toll from Corona since the pandemic started is 108.

Edit: Melbourne put a bunch of people in high rise social housing into 'Hard Lockdown' and wouldn't let them leave their apartments for 5 days. I'm not impressed with these Chinese style tactics and it was disturbing to see how many Australians were happy to let it go ahead because it's mainly junkies and refugees living there'

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ents-off-guard

There is an enormous amount of people wearing masks in Melbourne.

Today in the supermarket, at least 60-70% of people wearing them.

Yuri Jul 14, 2020 1:31 PM

Masks are doing an amazing job breaking the contamination chain. Also, they make people full aware of disease, more careful, paying attention on their hands, bringing hand sanitizer everywhere.

The same forumers who dismiss the disease, saying it was not lethal are now dismissing the masks.

I guess they found its edgy being egocentric and self-absorbed. It's not. It's just a way of masking their insecurities behind this "f..k you all" façade. No wonder many western societies are politically collapsing as we speak.

iheartthed Jul 14, 2020 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean (Post 8980471)

In Amsterdam? Haven't most big cities made face masks mandatory? I have friends in Germany, France, and Greece right now and they're all wearing masks in public. The only place where people seem more lax about masks than the U.S. is the U.K.

the urban politician Jul 14, 2020 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriandrade (Post 8980564)
Masks are doing an amazing job breaking the contamination chain. Also, they make people full aware of disease, more careful, paying attention on their hands, bringing hand sanitizer everywhere.

The same forumers who dismiss the disease, saying it was not lethal are now dismissing the masks.

I guess they found its edgy being egocentric and self-absorbed. It's not. It's just a way of masking their insecurities behind this "f..k you all" façade. No wonder many western societies are politically collapsing as we speak.

Yeah, I can understand various opinions about how deadly the virus is and how we can debate different lockdown philosophies (and their economic impact).

But choosing to not wear a mask when in public is just........saying "fuck you" to everyone. I can't think of a good reason not do. Sad that people are walking around doing this