SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Vicelord John Feb 16, 2012 2:59 PM

Yeah I didn't say anything to him but I think it's dumb.

HooverDam Feb 16, 2012 5:03 PM

Is Lafferty just looking to piss Calvin Goode off with the idea of renaming the area the "Presidential District" or whatever? I think Goode is almost always wrong with his NIMBY attitude (who knows why he's so against anyone or anything being built in his neighborhood) but trying to rename the area is mind blowing.

That area already has a name, Eastlake. Why try to come up with something corny and lame that sounds like it came out of a marketing department? If anything, Lafferty ought to be embracing the Eastlake moniker. Instead of the nonsensical "Union Square" name (which would only make sense if it were near Union Station) how about "Eastlake Station" (since thats the station its adjacent too!) or some such thing? Even "the Blue" is pretty lame and generic. Calling the projects something that actually relates to the neighborhood would likely go a long way in convincing the people of that area that the developer is sensitive to their history and what they want the area to become.

Vicelord John Feb 16, 2012 5:08 PM

One word.... Ego

nickw252 Feb 19, 2012 8:53 PM

Portland 2 Update

Went on a bike ride this morning to get breakfast (Breakfast Club) and got a few pics on the ride home.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2lc5h0g.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/35872w7.jpg

nickw252 Feb 19, 2012 8:57 PM

NE Corner of 7th and McDowell

Landscaping with mature date palm trees was recently put in.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2dbkrab.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/bj7uj5.jpg

Looking East from the corner. Concrete work has been done.

http://i44.tinypic.com/59twdh.jpg

HooverDam Feb 19, 2012 8:59 PM

^Wow thats a lot of hot, grey pavement. I hope those buildings have some nice big awnings and that those trees are of a nice shady variety.

nickw252 Feb 19, 2012 8:59 PM

Concord Eastridge

The Concord Eastridge lot doesn't look any different from last week aside from more supplies being in there. The lot south of it (South of Garfield) now has the same green rent-a-fence around it though. I'm looking forward to work to start there.

nickw252 Feb 19, 2012 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5597084)
^Wow thats a lot of hot, grey pavement. I hope those buildings have some nice big awnings and that those trees are of a nice shady variety.

I'm guessing those concrete bases that have been started will be the foundations for shade. They will need something since the building faces south.

phxSUNSfan Feb 20, 2012 1:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 5597086)
The Concord Eastridge lot doesn't look any different from last week aside from more supplies being in there. The lot south of it (South of Garfield) now has the same green rent-a-fence around it though. I'm looking forward to work to start there.

It looks like they have a lot of utility work to complete first. The amount of overhead wires in Evans-Churchill is ridiculous. They need to bury it all...

HooverDam Feb 20, 2012 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 5597088)
I'm guessing those concrete bases that have been started will be the foundations for shade. They will need something since the building faces south.

Are you talking about those blocky things that are like 3-4 feet tall? I just thought that was a pile of bricks sitting there from the pic.

nickw252 Feb 20, 2012 2:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5597398)
Are you talking about those blocky things that are like 3-4 feet tall? I just thought that was a pile of bricks sitting there from the pic.

It does sort of look like that in the picture but I didn't get that impression when I was there. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow.

nickw252 Feb 20, 2012 2:56 AM

Downtown Phoenix success spreads outward

Quote:

Business leaders in northeast Phoenix should watch what's happening downtown to better anticipate financial trends for the entire city.

"Downtown is our public face to the global business community, and its success can be perceived as representing the promise of the region," said Paul Blue, chief of staff to Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton.

More than 100 members of the downtown Phoenix business community recently gathered at the 18th annual DREAMR Awards lunch to celebrate downtown Phoenix's best and brightest. But eyes were far beyond downtown.

"If downtown is the heart of the city, it's important to have a healthy heart. As downtown adds jobs and residents, it has a positive impact everywhere," said Mike Ebert, managing partner of RED Development, a commercial real-estate development and management firm in downtown's CityScape.

Ebert recently won an award from the Downtown Phoenix Partnership for his leadership with RED, which manages CityScape, a mixed-use project with office and retail space that opened in November 2010. In June, RED took over management of the CityNorth development at Loop 101 and 56th Street in northeast Phoenix.

"We're certainly seeing pretty noticeable improvements in our Phoenix properties. CityScape is virtually full from a leasing standpoint and Town and Country (Camelback Road and 22nd Street) is getting new tenants. And with CityNorth, we have four or five new office tenants that we're completing transactions with right now," he said. "That would not have been the case in 2009 or 2010."

Investing downtown

When corporations are considering planting roots in the Valley, visiting downtown Phoenix is often one of the first steps taken in the decision-making process, Blue said. Downtown areas usually signify life and pride in a metropolitan area that goes beyond the defined borders of downtown.

"Suppliers, subcontractors and satisfied customers throughout the Phoenix region depend upon downtown businesses to meet their businesses' needs, and in these ways our urban core's health is tied directly to the rest of our community," Blue said. "Other communities that have not invested in their downtowns suffer from decay and blight, which results in an unfavorable business climate and loss of employment."

During the recession, sales taxes generated in downtown Phoenix actually grew, while they declined in other parts of the city.

"Because of citywide revenue reductions that were caused by the economic retraction, the city had to make painful cuts to important services citywide. If it were not for the growth that occurred downtown, those reductions would have been even more severe," Blue said.

"Downtown provides jobs," he said. "Without this economic engine, our regional job picture would be more bleak."

The Downtown Phoenix Partnership said about 65,000 people are employed within a mile of CityScape.

"People work in downtown, but they live everywhere throughout the Valley," said Dave Roderique, president and CEO of the Downtown Phoenix Partnership.

Despite the optimism, downtown Phoenix remains relatively empty many evenings throughout the week, especially compared with areas like Old Town Scottsdale and downtown Tempe.

"We are headed in the right direction, but we've got a ways to go. Compared to where it was 10 or 20 years ago, it's certainly a major improvement," Roderique said.

North of downtown

Kerry Phelps leads the marketing and advertising decisions for the Valley's Tilted Kilt restaurants, a Tempe-based national restaurant chain. The company opened a restaurant in downtown Phoenix's CityScape last summer and is opening its newest restaurant at 4731 E. Cactus Road, in northeast Phoenix, near Paradise Valley Mall.

"On any given day, you may have 30,000 to 40,000 people coming to downtown," Phelps said. "They're going to see our brand and even though they may not live downtown, that will certainly assist us in making more people aware of our brand."

Support for locally owned downtown businesses benefits the business communities across the Valley, said Edward Gomillion, executive director of the North Phoenix Chamber of Commerce.

"Anytime dollars are spent locally, more of those dollars circulate back into the local economy than not," he said. "And that ... most definitely has a ripple effect."
AZC

This story almost reads like a sales pitch for downtown. Good publicity none the less and I did not know that tax revenue from downtown bucked the trend and actually grew during the recession. That's incredible news. Think of the potential once the economy really gets rolling.

phxSUNSfan Feb 23, 2012 4:20 AM

This is pretty cool: Sky Harbor's solar panel installations will meet 51% of its needs...

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...ent-needs.html

gymratmanaz Feb 23, 2012 4:22 PM

New zoning for a 44ft sign for Earnst and Young building???? Anyone know anything about it? They looking to add to the crown to stick out more?

Vicelord John Feb 23, 2012 4:27 PM

Probably a billboard

gymratmanaz Feb 23, 2012 6:12 PM

be nice if a big light up sign and neon!

combusean Feb 23, 2012 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 5602165)
New zoning for a 44ft sign for Earnst and Young building???? Anyone know anything about it? They looking to add to the crown to stick out more?

Quote:

Application #: ZA-24-12-8 (Sign)

Existing Zoning: DTC-BCORE

Quarter Section: 10-27(F8)

Proposal:
1) Variance to increase the size of a projecting sign to approximately 42 square feet in area (per face). Maximum nine square feet in area allowed (one face).
2) Use permit for a major amendment to the Ernst & Young Tower One Renaissance Square Comprehensive Sign Plan. Use permit required.

Ordinance Sections: 643.H.1. 705.E.2.(d)

Applicant: Dan Streyle Vermilian IDG/Tom's Tavern

Representative: William F. Allison Gallagher & Kennedy, P.A.

Owner: One Renaissance, LLC
So it looks like Tom's Tavern is going to get some major signage--that's 42 square feet on each side likely at ground level, not 42 feet in height at the top. The meeting was today at 9 AM and, if past is prologue wherein zoning in Phoenix is a mere formality, it was already approved.

gymratmanaz Feb 23, 2012 9:55 PM

Thanks much. Fun news either way. Good for Tom's!!!!!

nickw252 Feb 24, 2012 1:10 AM

I went by the Oasis on Grand recently and the building appears to be filling up. There's furniture on balconies and people moving in.

HooverDam Feb 24, 2012 5:11 PM

This is good news...

Quote:

From the Wire | A Piece of the Farm Coming to Downtown Phoenix
Posted by DPJ Staff on 2/24/12

Some news items don’t need translation. That’s why DPJ launched the From the Wire series, so we could serve the destinations here by posting information and announcements – in their own words.

Farmer Woody and Valley Leadership Plan First Planting for Garfield Garden Park

Farmer Woody, a local farmer and chef, with the help of Valley Leadership, is bringing a community garden to Downtown Phoenix. A first planting ceremony is planned for Thursday, March 8 at 8 a.m.

The garden, called Garfield Garden Park, sits on two formerly blighted lots (14,000 sqft) in the heart of the Garfield District. Richard Melikian, owner of the Hotel San Carlos, has donated the lots.

Garfield Garden Park project rendering.
“This garden has been a dream of mine for many years,” said Farmer Woody. “Teaching area residents how to grow their own food improves not only the well being of the individual but of the overall community.”

Farmer Woody’s mission is to transform the Valley of the Sun into the Valley of Gardens. Valley Leadership is helping Farmer Woody with fundraising and general coordination for the project. The garden will be open to the public by April 2012.

The group is making a call to the community for in-kind donations including trees, fencing, gardening supplies and solar lighting. A Kickstarter account has been activated for monetary donations. Local companies including Sprinkler World, Superstition Springs Farms, Shamrock Towing and many others have contributed to the project.

About Garfield Garden Park:

The park will feature a growing garden along with an outdoor amphitheater for community gatherings. The two will be divided by a food truck drive. The amphitheater has a “kitchen” stage for teaching culinary arts, hosting local potlucks, giving public speeches, acoustical only musical performances and general education. A shipping container on-site will be transformed into a farmers’ market stand to buy, sell, and trade produce, as well as a Superstition Farms gardening supply center for the neighborhood.

What: Garfield Garden Park First Planting

When: Thursday, March 8, 2012

Where: Garfield Garden Park – 929 East Pierce, Phoenix

More info: Facebook, Kickstarter

http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/wp...rk-800x314.jpg

We need dozens more projects like this in Central PHX to help combat all the blight and dirt lots.