SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

DandyUnderworld Feb 18, 2020 3:47 PM

I am not privy to the details, but apparently Jack Keaton's is now closed permanently.

HomeInMyShoes Feb 18, 2020 4:17 PM

I'd say activities are what Cornwall needs. Just throwing out ideas, but: a theatre, mini-golf, arcade, climbing wall, indoor pool with slides, bowling, escape room, a restaurant area with indoor patio-ish seating and some patio seating to the outside for the summer. It needs reasons for people to come to the mall outside of the increasingly limited retail experience and food court at business lunch crowd.

All of this is difficult though and they are annihilating an opportunity with the Sears closure with the retail options they are putting in there. Both of those stores could have used the Gap and Eddie Bauer spaces and the mall would still have the opportunity space to do something interesting.

StealthGirl Feb 18, 2020 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 8834493)
Both of those stores could have used the Gap and Eddie Bauer spaces and the mall would still have the opportunity space to do something interesting.

But instead it's the we have to let them do what they want bc if we ask anything, we'll scare them off mentality that seems to exist in this city.

pappcam Feb 18, 2020 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 8834493)
I'd say activities are what Cornwall needs. Just throwing out ideas, but: a theatre, mini-golf, arcade, climbing wall, indoor pool with slides, bowling, escape room, a restaurant area with indoor patio-ish seating and some patio seating to the outside for the summer. It needs reasons for people to come to the mall outside of the increasingly limited retail experience and food court at business lunch crowd.

All of this is difficult though and they are annihilating an opportunity with the Sears closure with the retail options they are putting in there. Both of those stores could have used the Gap and Eddie Bauer spaces and the mall would still have the opportunity space to do something interesting.

Ardene's has been moving to bigger locations all across Canada. It isn't a Cornwall Centre thing. I assume Urban Planet wanted out of North Central and they are also used to a bigger space.

It's as if some of you think that space being left empty is preferable.

HomeInMyShoes Feb 18, 2020 5:44 PM

^I don't think that at all. I'm not sure why you feel the need to make gigantic leaps in people's thinking. Spitballing possibilities is not thinking the space left empty is good.

StealthGirl Feb 18, 2020 6:09 PM

I didn't take it that way. I didn't think HIMS was advocating not letting them expand. I thought HIMS was suggesting they could have located them in a different part of the mall that is also empty and do something bigger with that space. That said, I don't know what that bigger thing would be.

pappcam Feb 18, 2020 6:15 PM

I guess my last statement was more of a general statement about what I hear and read about construction in Regina in general. I'm at the point where any construction is good construction in this dying economy.

Draftsman Feb 18, 2020 7:30 PM

Urban Planet
 
Some of the paper covering the doors into the new Urban Planet at the pedways to the casino and the hotel have fallen down. I looked in on Saturday and the floor was completely barren of any shelving etc. This morning I looked in and it is a beehive of activity. Shelving and merchandise is going in like crazy. Like many other 'modern' stores, there are no ceiling tiles and the floor is just bare concrete. It's a large store, it's bright, and it certainly looks bigger than the former Gap/Gap Kids/Eddie Bauer locations combined.

Sorry, this should be in the Retail section.

Draftsman Feb 18, 2020 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 8834587)
Ardene's has been moving to bigger locations all across Canada. It isn't a Cornwall Centre thing. I assume Urban Planet wanted out of North Central and they are also used to a bigger space.

It's as if some of you think that space being left empty is preferable.




This is true. As well, any mall requires a strong anchor that will attract people to the the ends of the mall, and The Bay is not. It's like a dead end.

Sorry, this should be in the Retail section.

Draftsman Feb 18, 2020 7:46 PM

I went to Olive Garden for lunch last week and the place was packed. 90% females. Nice decor and excellent food and service.

DandyUnderworld Feb 24, 2020 2:10 PM

Another one bites the dust
 
Ru Soju Bar & Lounge has now closed permanently.

bulldog14 Mar 5, 2020 10:23 PM

Stats has moved into the old Brewster's East location. I believe they are already open. I've heard the bowling alley might be doing their own thing with the former stats?

GeneTheMachine Mar 16, 2020 11:45 PM

Hearing that The Capitol is closing its doors permanently.

Stormer Mar 16, 2020 11:48 PM

FFS

https://scontent.fyqr2-1.fna.fbcdn.n...2a&oe=5E9782D3

LittleBoy Mar 17, 2020 3:45 PM

Noticed a sign for Smokes Poutinerie in the old Sakura spot beside Ohans.

Stormer Mar 17, 2020 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBoy (Post 8864719)
Noticed a sign for Smokes Poutinerie in the old Sakura spot beside Ohans.

Good. Hopefully that doesn't implode now.

Festivus Mar 17, 2020 6:59 PM

The unfortunate reality of this is going to be the closing of many locally owned places while the chains survive.

The government has opened up $10 billion in business credit for businesses affected, so hopefully some places are able to take advantage. The big financial relief announcement is coming tomorrow, though I think it's going to be focused more on individuals.

StealthGirl Mar 17, 2020 7:31 PM

There was a post on Twitter suggesting 3 restaurants are closing, but he didn't want to name them. Anyone have a guess who the other two are besides The Capitol?

one_brick_at_a_time Mar 17, 2020 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 8865011)
There was a post on Twitter suggesting 3 restaurants are closing, but he didn't want to name them. Anyone have a guess who the other two are besides The Capitol?

Maybe Famoso?

Nathan Mar 17, 2020 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 8865070)
Maybe Famoso?

Famoso is usually pretty busy downtown at least for lunch. If you don't go by 12, you'll probably have to find another restaurant to eat at.

Off the top of my head, I can't really think of another place that's struggling too bad. Could be one of the now dozen or so salad/sandwich shops? The cakes place in the tiny storefront on the Vic side of the Avord tower?


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.