SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

pappcam Oct 31, 2018 3:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 8363261)
The IPA craze has (thankfully) already died down in favor of Belgian styles, etc.

Good to hear. I like the Belgian style beers.

djforsberg Oct 31, 2018 3:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 8363256)
Lol. Pretty sure the IPA craze will die long before mass produced beer. People will soon realize hoppy beers are disgusting, they'll cut off their man-buns and beer drinking will again be a normal thing that normal people do. :tup:

You do know there are more types of craft beers right? I despise bitter beers. I prefer Belgians but have taken a liken to sours lately. I don’t think people will be going back to mass produced beer any time soon. As the boomers die, I am concerned for the Molson-Coors of the beer world (unless they can successfully diversify into cannabis beverages or just keep buying craft breweries).

Ps are you my dad? He seems to have an obsession with man-buns as well.

pappcam Oct 31, 2018 3:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 8363440)
You do know there are more types of craft beers right? I despise bitter beers. I prefer Belgians but have taken a liken to sours lately. I don’t think people will be going back to mass produced beer any time soon. As the boomers die, I am concerned for the Molson-Coors of the beer world (unless they can successfully diversify into cannabis beverages or just keep buying craft breweries).

Ps are you my dad? He seems to have an obsession with man-buns as well.

I know there are many different types of craft beers but it's quite annoying to go to a pub and most of their selections from various brewers are IPA's. I know taste is subjective but the popularity of hoppy IPA's is a sort of weird mystery to me.

Ps Your dad makes fun of your man bun? :)

djforsberg Oct 31, 2018 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 8363450)
I know there are many different types of craft beers but it's quite annoying to go to a pub and most of their selections from various brewers are IPA's. I know taste is subjective but the popularity of hoppy IPA's is a sort of weird mystery to me.

I actually agree with you there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 8363450)
Ps Your dad makes fun of your man bun? :)

Ha! I wish I had hair for a man bun :P

Festivus Oct 31, 2018 4:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket (Post 8363288)
The primary diet of primary-grade, school children seems to be PASTA, PASTA, and more PASTA, or PIZZA, PIZZA, and more PIZZA! I'm sure an Olive Garden opening in the Regina will appeal to many of the families with young kids, and even a few others who just like that type of Italian dining. Calgary's Olive Garden seemed to be quite busy the times we wanted to go there (we tend to be there over a (long) weekend) -- so much that we needed to find alternative dining on some of those times. Otherwise, we haven't yet had a bad experience dining there. If they do open an Olive Garden here, it will be another welcome dining choice with wide appeal for our family, among Eastside Mario's, Famoso, Boston P, Houston P, Western P (local), Luiggi's (local), Appleby's, Montana's, and even I Love Sushi (noodles for the kids at the buffet! Also local!), etc., and I'll be content as ever for the next decade or so! ... :)

I feel very strange paying money to eat pasta in restaurants, as it's so easy to make at home (and so cheap). Especially dishes like spaghetti or macaroni. The exception being an Italian restaurant I visited in San Francisco that was owned by a couple from Italy. It was a little hole in the wall and was fantastic, with a lot of seafood dishes. But I don't pay Boston Pizza $25 for an alfredo dish.

PhotoJim Oct 31, 2018 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 8363938)
I feel very strange paying money to eat pasta in restaurants, as it's so easy to make at home (and so cheap). Especially dishes like spaghetti or macaroni. The exception being an Italian restaurant I visited in San Francisco that was owned by a couple from Italy. It was a little hole in the wall and was fantastic, with a lot of seafood dishes. But I don't pay Boston Pizza $25 for an alfredo dish.

It's more like $12. $9 if you eat it on a Tuesday. (I go to a board gaming event at a Regina Boston Pizza many weeks, so I know their menu well.)

Scruff Bucket Oct 31, 2018 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 8363938)
I feel very strange paying money to eat pasta in restaurants, as it's so easy to make at home (and so cheap). Especially dishes like spaghetti or macaroni. The exception being an Italian restaurant I visited in San Francisco that was owned by a couple from Italy. It was a little hole in the wall and was fantastic, with a lot of seafood dishes. But I don't pay Boston Pizza $25 for an alfredo dish.

Yeah, we make a lot of food at home for all of us, and we won't go out to eat often, but Mommy wants (and deserves) an occasional time for family meal other than at home where she can relax (sort of) from a week or so of being the kid's chauffeur, chaperone, time manager, task focuser, conflicts manager, (incessant-) questions-answerer, Mommy-doctor, etc. -- everything that a Mommy does! And ditto for me (no dishes! -- bonus! :cheers:), until I get the bill! On special occasions, we'll enjoy some fine dining with the family, otherwise we'll be looking for good dining deals if we decide to go out!

Stormer Nov 9, 2018 7:36 PM

Press'd has an "opening soon" sign up below Evolution Fitness on the F.W. Hill Mall.

https://pressdsandwiches.ca/

one_brick_at_a_time Nov 9, 2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8374429)
Press'd has an "opening soon" sign up below Evolution Fitness on the F.W. Hill Mall.

https://pressdsandwiches.ca/

Yay! I want all those store fronts filled up!

Snowgirl Nov 15, 2018 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 8363938)
I feel very strange paying money to eat pasta in restaurants, as it's so easy to make at home (and so cheap). Especially dishes like spaghetti or macaroni. The exception being an Italian restaurant I visited in San Francisco that was owned by a couple from Italy. It was a little hole in the wall and was fantastic, with a lot of seafood dishes. But I don't pay Boston Pizza $25 for an alfredo dish.

Was that Fino? Tucked in the back of the Andrews Hotel?? AMAZING

Snowgirl Nov 15, 2018 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 8374633)
Yay! I want all those store fronts filled up!

OMG they have Ruebens!!

KTBuild Dec 10, 2018 1:48 PM

Baller's Rec Room has opened in the old Drink / Pure Nightclub spot on Dewdney. It has pub food, drinks, arcade games, and batting cages. Haven't been, but the pictures online show a full 4-pod Mario Kart setup, a big Pac Man setup, and some pinball machines. The food looks unbelievably generic though (hotdogs, hamburgers, and deep fried pub food)..

Popeye's in Harbour Landing looks close to opening. Sign is up and inside looks decorated. Meating Room and Meltwich haven't started finishings yet.

Festivus Dec 13, 2018 5:07 PM

Someone here is the owner/part-owner of Rebellion, right? Any info about this post from their Facebook that was taken down soon after?

https://i.redd.it/om71vei0d2421.png

Seems like a pretty risky thing to post, legally. Maybe why it was taken down.

djforsberg Dec 13, 2018 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 8407480)
Someone here is the owner/part-owner of Rebellion, right? Any info about this post from their Facebook that was taken down soon after?

https://i.redd.it/om71vei0d2421.png

Seems like a pretty risky thing to post, legally. Maybe why it was taken down.

I love it. Minhas Creek is disgusting. But they probably should have had a friend post it.

aberrant Dec 15, 2018 12:03 AM

https://globalnews.ca/news/4765041/r...r-resold-kegs/

Festivus Dec 31, 2018 2:23 PM

I heard from someone this morning that Bonzinis on South Albert is closing. Has anyone else heard this?

aberrant Jan 1, 2019 1:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 8422221)
I heard from someone this morning that Bonzinis on South Albert is closing. Has anyone else heard this?

I believe their offsale is moving to the Golden Mile.

Drofmab Jan 1, 2019 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aberrant (Post 8422771)
I believe their offsale is moving to the Golden Mile.

...and rebranded as Urban Cellars, right?

Checked out the location on Quance (old Jysk), and was pleasantly surprised. I had extremely low expectations, based on comments I'd seen on the Stoon location, and expection that it'd just be a larger liquor store focused on high-volume, mass-market products. Plenty of local stuff there, and some labels I hadn't seen before. Prices seemed similar to other private stores. Space was large, open, bright & had some decent upbeat music playing (i.e.: didn't feel like the hospital/morgue that has been Willow Park for most of its existence). The cooler is HUGE (they say it's the largest in the prov...), could accommodate much more product than is currently in it. Sometimes lowered expectations are helpful ;)

Stormer Jan 4, 2019 7:52 PM

Has anyone tried Hop and Vine pub on Quance next to Urban Cellars?

aberrant Jan 7, 2019 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8426151)
Has anyone tried Hop and Vine pub on Quance next to Urban Cellars?

It is the group that owned and operated the Nest on south Albert. It's a brand new build, I believe they have the largest TV screen in the city. I haven't had a chance to eat there yet, was only in there a few days before opening, but I thought it looked nice.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.