SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 851 FT & 765 FT | 73 & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

Blupo May 16, 2018 2:16 AM

Here are a couple of programming/detail slides that I snapped during tonight's meeting. For the poster asking about the questions that the crowd was asking, most were related to traffic concerns, particularly along East North Water Street.

https://i.imgur.com/DmYG4Ch.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IxCDDDL.jpg

VKChaz May 16, 2018 2:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandelay (Post 8189305)
That base is terrible. Very reminiscent of SOM's Hudson Yards building. Why didn't they just have a glassy terracotta base? Pedestrians could at least see the details at ground level, unlike the facade.

And the importance of the base view from the bridge as well as some of the ramp leading up to it may be underappreciated. That is a prime gathering spot for photos and taking in the river skyline.

harryc May 16, 2018 2:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blupo (Post 8189345)
Here are a couple of programming/detail slides that I snapped during tonight's meeting. For the poster asking about the questions that the crowd was asking, most were related to traffic concerns, particularly along East North Water Street.

https://imgur.com/CiX5dtY

https://imgur.com/7fLGKwT

Did anyone notice that all deliveries from middle LSD means the trucks will be forced down Lower Wacker, Grand, or Illinois (trucks are not allowed on LSD).

LouisVanDerWright May 16, 2018 2:21 AM

That's f-ing sick.

GregBear24 May 16, 2018 2:31 AM

Blown away. The taller tower especially follows the general form of the old Waldorf Astoria design (which I desperately wanted for this site), but utilizes these delicious setbacks and terra cotta for material. If this doesn’t get VE’d, this may be the best high rise project in this city during my lifetime. Very pleased with this proposal.

Kumdogmillionaire May 16, 2018 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthiswealth (Post 8189324)
My little crystal ball tells me one bennet park will have more bronze than all you bitchy little f****** think. It also tells me you're so incredibly knowledgeable about economics and architecture that all your pessimistic predictions will come true. (sarcasm). A piece of advice for you and your fellow whiners, get out from behind your computer and take the wheel of these projects because clearly you know best.

Can anyone translate what this random collection of words is supposed to mean for me? :shrug:

OBP was advertised as having massive bronze paneling on the North and South thick ends of the tower, and now does not. There is bronze detailing, but not what it was. Also, take a chillaxitive.

It's so obvious that your incoherent rambling is derived from your job with Related and weird shill job for this project, it's hilarious. Taking direct offense in this manner only validates my dislike of your cheap company ;)

pip May 16, 2018 2:37 AM

ah another Internet fight!

Anyway i think these buildings while not the height we dreamed of complement the sky very well. I like it.

donnie May 16, 2018 2:48 AM

I am pleased with the designs and the detailing!

Now what's the next step?

rlw777 May 16, 2018 3:11 AM

Just found a second video that I hadn't seen posted here

400 Lake Shore Drive Honoring Chicago’s architectural heritage from Crains

MiamiSpartan May 16, 2018 3:12 AM

Very happy with this...was hoping for a 1000 footer....

@@ron May 16, 2018 3:20 AM

I’m pleasantly surprised by this proposal. I was ready to not be happy with anything here that wasn’t the spire, but I’m loving how this looks. The smaller tower reminds me somewhat of the Bank of America center in Houston, which I’ve always hated. But I like this a lot more.

k1052 May 16, 2018 3:32 AM

Pretty good but this isn’t the part I’m worried about. Those windows and the terra cotta will be really tempting VE targets.

go go white sox May 16, 2018 3:38 AM

At first glance I wasn't overly impressed, but after looking at the renders in more details and videos, im really like it, this looks more SOM than related Midwest, I'm happy, this is yet another future icon for the city of Chicago.

PittsburghPA May 16, 2018 4:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 8189159)
Well considering Chicago's downtown has grown over 10% in population since 2010, and continues to grow and Chicago has the 3rd highest increase of 6+ figure income earning households of any city in the US after NYC and LA since 2010....might be fine.. don't believe in everything you read in the media about Chicago. There's a ton (go to the Economics forum - I've done a ton of data studies on this) of stuff happening in the city that would shock most people in regards to things like what I just mentioned above (like the fact that Chicago has 2nd highest increase of any city of 6+ earning households where the main householder is under the age of 45 since 2010. More than LA, more than Houston, more than Dallas, more than San Francisco, etc).

That is just the answer I wanted to hear! After growing up in Pittsburgh, living in Buffalo for 3 years post college and only having lived in the West Loop for 6 months the development here is almost unfathomable. Having said all of that, being an almost daily visitor to this forum for the past 10+ years it is amazing to watch it happen in person!

streetline May 16, 2018 4:22 AM

I like the towers a lot, but I'm less enthused with the podium joining them.

I can see why they'd want the shared outdoor space for amenities, and to block noise from LSD, but it really closes off the site, and thus DuSable Park, more than I'd like.

It's not even 100% clear from the renderings that there will be riverwalk on the north Ogden slip side as well as the south river side, and that seems like it ought to be mandatory to me.

I wonder if they might be convinced to open up the bottom couple of floors of the podium into a wide passageway reminiscent of the Wrigley Building, and retain the top floors as a large skybridge. That way they could retain the shared amenities and roof deck, while also touching the ground more lightly and creating more flow through the site to DuSable Park.

The area under the skybridge between towers, with the porte cochere to the west, the towers' lobbies to the north and south, and a path to DuSable park to the east could be a really unique space. The skybridge could serve to shelter people being picked up and dropped off from the weather, and block the noise from the elevated LSD, as well as providing a really grand gateway to the lakefront (as opposed to the less than grand utilitarian impression LSD gives alone).

Kumdogmillionaire May 16, 2018 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw777 (Post 8189389)
Just found a second video that I hadn't seen posted here

400 Lake Shore Drive Honoring Chicago’s architectural heritage from Crains

Really good video here... this should be the one fronting their website tbh

rgolch May 16, 2018 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittsburghPA (Post 8189440)
That is just the answer I wanted to hear! After growing up in Pittsburgh, living in Buffalo for 3 years post college and only having lived in the West Loop for 6 months the development here is almost unfathomable. Having said all of that, being an almost daily visitor to this forum for the past 10+ years it is amazing to watch it happen in person!

It’s always anybody’s guess as to whether something has a realistic chance of getting built. These are massive buildings, with huge price tags.

If it were the last boom before 2008, I’d say they’d have a worse chance of happening. But the data that marothisu has been posting in the economic forum has really shown that the actual city of Chicago is doing very well in growing it’s base of high income citizens. And there is a genuine resurgence of urban areas in the entire country. So I think buildings like this now have a decent shot of happening.

Given that there are now 3 supertalls being proposed, I’d bet on at least one of them happening. But truthfully all of them are solid proposals.

PittsburghPA May 16, 2018 4:47 AM

Given the (relatively) small foot print of the Spire one would wonder if most of the existing foundation infrastructure would have to be demo'd and almost start from scratch to construct these, maybe explaining the 4 year construction timeline? I'd assume all of the deep caissons were toward the center of the development (Spire) and new ones would have to be drilled/poured on the north and south ends.

Either way Related Midwest is on fire. They are bringing some amazing developments to the drawing board. I'm really rooting for them that these can all get done.

Steely Dan May 16, 2018 5:40 AM

Well, this is just fantastic!

I can't believe how much this proposal destroyed my expectations.

Did anyone who attended the meeting tonight get floor counts?

rgolch May 16, 2018 5:56 AM

Thanks for posting these.

The third image you posted; your post is the only one I see that image, and it pretty much seals for me how amazing this project is. I love love love the slender glass crowns of these buildings. What's more, the gentle curving of the setbacks...... sublime....

These renderings are so amazing. This is by far, so much my favorite Chicago proposal now. This totally destroys everything else hoping to be built in Chicago right now. And honestly, it's so much more elegant, and less gimicky than the original Chicago Spire proposal *fingers crossed*