SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

BrutallyDishonest2 Jul 9, 2018 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 8242160)
The Dad was a great businessman. The kid and current owner is a bit of a doofus with zero business acumen

Given that he's the CEO of a very large digital sign company I'm not sure that fits exactly.

It's probably accurate to say that he didn't care about the Burger Baron given the more important business he's running.

WCgirl Jul 20, 2018 6:10 PM

I noticed that the old Chili's building in the east end was getting painted. Any idea what is moving in? Its being painted orange, so I doubt its on spec.

Stormer Jul 20, 2018 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCgirl (Post 8256888)
I noticed that the old Chili's building in the east end was getting painted. Any idea what is moving in? Its being painted orange, so I doubt its on spec.

Popeyes? Just a guess

BrutallyDishonest2 Jul 21, 2018 1:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCgirl (Post 8256888)

It's a buffet place, supposedly higher end than existing in Regina.

Baker58 Jul 23, 2018 5:37 AM

Nothing says high end like all you can eat

Scruff Bucket Jul 23, 2018 6:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baker58 (Post 8258764)
Nothing says high end like all you can eat

Does Hotel Sask still do Sunday brunch? I haven't done that in a while! Marriott's Hotel Sask website still mentions Sunday brunch. Do they update their web page regularly, or at least when/if something changes?

"https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/restaurant/yqrak-the-hotel-saskatchewan-autograph-collection/"

Robag Jul 23, 2018 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8256933)
Popeyes? Just a guess

Popeyes is moving into Acre 21 just off Chuka Blvd. Not sure when it's opening.

Businesses open in Acre 21 so far:

Save on Foods
Metro Liquor
Dairy Queen
Coop Gas Bar

Other places opening soon:

Shoppers Drug Mart
McDonald's
Boston Pizza
Prairie Donair
Domino's Pizza
Knight Archer Insurance
Dental Clinic

Regina Boi Jul 23, 2018 9:15 PM

Why is it that no matter the development, it is pretty much the exact same businesses that open in everyone???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robag (Post 8258996)

Save on Foods
Metro Liquor
Dairy Queen
Coop Gas Bar

Shoppers Drug Mart
McDonald's
Boston Pizza
Prairie Donair
Domino's Pizza
Knight Archer Insurance
Cental Clinic

Stormer Jul 23, 2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina Boi (Post 8259340)
Why is it that no matter the development, it is pretty much the exact same businesses that open in everyone???

There is no Subway or Tim's! Both have more than 20 locations.

Draftsman Jul 24, 2018 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robag (Post 8258996)

Save on Foods
Metro Liquor
Dairy Queen
Coop Gas Bar

Shoppers Drug Mart
McDonald's
Boston Pizza
Prairie Donair
Domino's Pizza
Knight Archer Insurance
Dental Clinic

I checked out Metro Liquor yesterday and was not impressed. Their beer selection is small. My brother wanted to get 6 bottles of beer, but they only had one choice. I bought a cheap brand of Irish Cream liqueur (Blarney's - under $20) but got charged for a Bailey's (over $30) until I pointed out the error. It is certainly not as nice as the Sobey's Liquor locations. Not even close IMO.

The buildings where Popeye's and Boston Pizza will be going haven't even begun construction. McD's is coming along but they still have some windows to install and they need to complete the interior, which from what I could see, is nowhere near completion (if it has been started at all). Save On Foods is nicer than the south location, but then this store was designed as a SOF, whereas the south store was a former CDN Tire that had been once expanded. Shoppers is coming along but it could be a couple of months before it opens (maybe less).

As per the site plan, there will be six more restaurants/food establishments, besides the Popeye's and BP. One of these will be Sushi Lounge. The four restaurants along the east side of the development will back onto a 'water feature' (pond? mosquito farm?)

Site plan: https://www.acre21.ca/leasing-information/#site-plan

BrutallyDishonest2 Jul 24, 2018 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 8259534)
I checked out Metro Liquor yesterday and was not impressed. Their beer selection is small. My brother wanted to get 6 bottles of beer, but they only had one choice.

I haven't been but Google seems to show otherwise.

https://i.imgur.com/pZq9Gx4.jpg

Draftsman Jul 24, 2018 4:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 8259609)
I haven't been but Google seems to show otherwise.

https://i.imgur.com/pZq9Gx4.jpg

I am comparing it to other liquor stores. If I lived out in the far southeast area, yes, it makes a nice local store to pick up some booze. But if I did live out there, I would rather drive another 10 minutes to go to the Quance Street liquor store for a better selection and choices. It is what it is, a rather smallish local liquor store.

djforsberg Jul 24, 2018 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 8259791)
I am comparing it to other liquor stores. If I lived out in the far southeast area, yes, it makes a nice local store to pick up some booze. But if I did live out there, I would rather drive another 10 minutes to go to the Quance Street liquor store for a better selection and choices. It is what it is, a rather smallish local liquor store.

The beer selection doesn't look much better than a standard LB but I see more than one six-pack in that picture.

Robag Jul 24, 2018 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8259455)
There is no Subway or Tim's! Both have more than 20 locations.

There is still another section that isn't developed yet. Potential for a Subway, Tim Horton's down the road, but I would guess a few years away.

Robag Jul 24, 2018 4:12 PM

Quote:

I do live in the Southeast, and I walked home with a 2-4 and a 26 of rum last week. I can't do that from any other liquor store.

I thought the selection (not just beer) was adequate. It has everything I need, and more.

Stormer Jul 24, 2018 4:38 PM

Quote:

As per the site plan, there will be six more restaurants/food establishments, besides the Popeye's and BP. One of these will be Sushi Lounge. The four restaurants along the east side of the development will back onto a 'water feature' (pond? mosquito farm?)

Site plan: https://www.acre21.ca/leasing-information/#site-plan
The pond is connected to Chuka Creek. It should have some occasional flow and minnows that swim up from Wascana. There should be no mosquito issue. Minnows eat the larvae.

BrutallyDishonest2 Jul 24, 2018 11:55 PM

Quote:

My understanding is they are attempting to be a bit higher quality than the competition. Specifically I think they are supposed to have better wine selection. But I'm no expert on that and I don't live in the SE so I will probably go once to check it out and never return.

Drofmab Jul 27, 2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 8259609)

Nothing screams top-notch, high-end, we-totally-know-what-we're-doing liquor retailer like craft beer stored at room temperature, and MolsonCoors/ABInBev/Sapporo in the fridge.

...sigh...

BrutallyDishonest2 Jul 27, 2018 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 8263302)
Nothing screams top-notch, high-end, we-totally-know-what-we're-doing liquor retailer like craft beer stored at room temperature, and MolsonCoors/ABInBev/Sapporo in the fridge.

...sigh...

A fair point, but I'm sure it mostly has to do with economics. What are people actually buying? I think micro-brewery enthusiasts forget that they are still small part of the market.

BrannyMuffin Jul 27, 2018 1:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 8263302)

...sigh...

There’s another wall of coolers that seems to have more of the craft beers. I didn’t look too closely so I can’t say for sure how large the selection is and if that’s all that’s all that’s in the other cooler, but there are definitely some that are refrigerated.

It’s a small store and they don’t have the large walk in coolers, so it seems to me that they’re trying to get a mix of products in there to appeal to a wider variety of customers.