SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

phxSUNSfan Aug 9, 2011 12:26 AM

^ DowntownDweller, you are over-watering your citrus tree. My grandmother's property in the West Valley still has an abundance of citrus trees that are full and fruitful. The trees are watered only once a week during the hottest periods of the summer. Here is a little info on citrus watering schedules:

Citrus Watering Schedule
Citrus like to dry out between waterings. In the hottest part of summer this schedule equals watering once every one to two weeks, and in the winter once every four to six weeks. Other times of the year fall between these two extremes. Newly planted trees need more frequent waterings. For the first two weeks after planting, water every three days. After that, the normal schedule should be followed. When watering citrus flood them very thoroughly for 30 minutes to an hour. Examples of other plants that fall under this schedule are bougainvilleas and oleanders. Interestingly, established oleanders need even less water. They are almost as tough as cactus, which is surprising considering how lush they look.

Also, if the tree is large enough and you trim the bottom branches and expose the trunk, then you will want to paint the trunk white otherwise you can kill the tree.

gymratmanaz Aug 9, 2011 4:03 AM

I have flood irrigation and my trees get deep watering every 2 weeks. i have so much fruit i cannot even give it all away

nickw252 Aug 9, 2011 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 5373322)
I have flood irrigation and my trees get deep watering every 2 weeks. i have so much fruit i cannot even give it all away

Send all of your grapefruit my way :banana:

nickw252 Aug 9, 2011 2:26 PM

Quote:

Some downtown Phoenix restaurants had one problem last week that they counted as a blessing.

The eateries were flooded with so many customers that they ran out of key ingredients, said Julie De Anda, an events coordinator for the Downtown Phoenix Partnership.

The unusual surge in downtown business was from an estimated 30,000 members of the Pentecostal denomination who were in town for the biennial General Council of the Assemblies of God convention.

The convention was the second-largest to be held at the Phoenix Convention Center in recent years, trailing only the 2009 National Rifle Association annual meeting, which drew 64,000 people who spent about $93 million on things such as hotel rooms and dining, according to city reports.
Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz1UXeX87B9

Sounds like downtown restaurants are doing well. Does anyone know how the new Westin is doing? When I drive by at night I don't usually see a lot of lights on like I do at the Sheraton.

DowntownDweller Aug 9, 2011 2:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 5373072)
^ DowntownDweller, you are over-watering your citrus tree. My grandmother's property in the West Valley still has an abundance of citrus trees that are full and fruitful. The trees are watered only once a week during the hottest periods of the summer. Here is a little info on citrus watering schedules:

Also, if the tree is large enough and you trim the bottom branches and expose the trunk, then you will want to paint the trunk white otherwise you can kill the tree.

My established orange trees do just fine with a flood watering every 2 weeks, and even only once a month (when irrigation didn't come one cycle). The lime tree I planted is another matter though. Its only 5-6' tall, and just a twig really. If you don't water it at a minimum, every 2 days, its leaves crisp up and start dropping, and all limbs just point towards the ground since its full of fruit. The trunk is painted already, one of the first things I did. I'm hoping if I can get it past this blazing summer, I can start working my way further and further out with a soaker in between irrigations.

HX_Guy Aug 9, 2011 3:31 PM

You should (should have) pulled all the fruit off of it so that it uses all it's resources on growing and staying healthy instead of sending them to the fruit.

PhxDowntowner Aug 9, 2011 5:08 PM

can we just fill up downtown with those Pistachio Trees? That's a solid pedestrian-friendly tree.

Don B. Aug 11, 2011 1:16 PM

Read an article in the Business Journal talking about a new residential development on Camelback east of the Esplanade, where Trump tried to build his 19-story monstrosity (sarcasm mode fully engaged). Rendering looks to be about 6-7 stories tall and decently urban.

In other news in the same rag, The Level at 16th Street and Highland is 93% leased.

--don

nickw252 Aug 11, 2011 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don B. (Post 5375931)
Read an article in the Business Journal talking about a new residential development on Camelback east of the Esplanade, where Trump tried to build his 19-story monstrosity (sarcasm mode fully engaged). Rendering looks to be about 6-7 stories tall and decently urban.

Do you have a link to that? I couldn't find it on their site or through a google news search. I'd like to see the rendering.

Classical in Phoenix Aug 11, 2011 4:52 PM

There is also a rendering of the new apartments on Camelback on the cover of the latest edition of AZRE. AZRE is the real estate magazine published every two months by AZ Business. I believe I read the demolition of the current structures is expected to begin this month, with actual construction slated later this year on the 270 units.

Vicelord John Aug 11, 2011 5:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 5375955)
Do you have a link to that? I couldn't find it on their site or through a google news search. I'd like to see the rendering.

I posted all the info a few months ago. Not sure how far back in the thread it is.

DowntownDweller Aug 12, 2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don B. (Post 5375931)

In other news in the same rag, The Level at 16th Street and Highland is 93% leased.

--don

That has to be the most hideous development I've ever seen.

azliam Aug 12, 2011 2:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DowntownDweller (Post 5376665)

The elevators there are SO SLOW. I have a friend who just moved in there.

phxSUNSfan Aug 12, 2011 3:00 AM

Quote:

I don't think it is "hideous" but it is much too sterile with too large a parking lot. The whole development looks to be a heat sink for the area. I originally thought it was the product/design of another Seattle firm but it seems the company is based in Houston. :shrug:
http://orbarch.com/portfolio/port-multi2.html

Leo the Dog Aug 12, 2011 5:04 PM

Quote:

I actually don't think the development is that bad. Good density for being pretty far out of the CBD. Seems like a good use of land.

HX_Guy Aug 18, 2011 4:56 PM

This look s a lot more suburban than I expected...

http://media2.myfoxphoenix.com//phot...33_640_480.JPG

Quote:

[b]Lofts at McKinley breaks ground in Phoenix[b]

Posted: Aug 17, 2011 1:47 PM
Updated: Aug 17, 2011 1:51 PM
By Jose Miguel - email
Posted by Phil Benson - email

PHOENIX (KPHO) -
The Phoenix downtown is about to get much more luxurious, but this time the luxury won't come at a cost.

The Lofts at McKinley broke ground Wednesday morning in downtown Phoenix.

The new project will be a mixed community with an emphasis on those who are 55 and older. They will also be catered for those with a lower income level.

Developers say despite the lower price tag for the tenants, the amenities will not be cheap. Instead tenants will be met by doormen, high end appliances and even green products. They even plan on using recycled water for irrigation purposes.

Rent will range from $400 and capping out at $900. Those wanting to live there must qualify financially. Eligible tenants must have an annual income between $18,000 to $32,000.

Mayor Phil Gordon said the project represents the direction the city wants to take in revitalization. And developers say the project already has a waiting list of future tenants.

The Lofts at McKinley are expected to be complete by next year.

http://www.kpho.com/story/15285550/l...und-in-phoenix

dtnphx Aug 18, 2011 5:01 PM

I kind of like it. It fits the area to a T. It's close to the street, front doors at the curb, dense and low. Lots of urban areas in big cities look like this.

PhxDowntowner Aug 18, 2011 8:10 PM

Not dense enough. We need to think bigger. Medium density is no different, functionally, than low density given our current transportation hurdles.

phxSUNSfan Aug 18, 2011 8:31 PM

They should be at least twice the height for more density. Since this development aims to lure older adults, it does make sense that units would be a little larger. However, in an urban setting that should mean the building would then need to be taller. I do like the "brownstone" front steps to the sidewalk.

westbev93 Aug 18, 2011 8:46 PM

Switching gears-they posted public hearing notices for the project at 7th Ave. and McDowell. One is for signage, and the other is for outdoor alcohol consumption at Chipotle.

I've never been to Chipotle, but they serve booze? I thought it was fast food?