SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

Rizzo Sep 2, 2015 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7147097)
We should build a cut + cover "Lower Cicero" the entire length of the road. You could get freeway speeds down there without disturbing the cityscape above. In fact, using my magic money tree, I'm going to go ahead and build lower level streets under Ashland, Pershing, Western, and Irving while I'm at it and limit the upper level streets to one lane each direction with BRT and bolevard like landscaping.

You should use the money tree to fund an Ashland subway instead.

OhioGuy Sep 2, 2015 11:16 PM

^^ While you're making use of the money tree fund, how about a subway under Lawrence from Kimball to Jefferson Park? That way the brown line can provide a more convenient option for getting to O'Hare rather than heading all the way downtown and then out again on the blue line or taking an east/west bus between the red/brown lines and the blue line that's subject to traffic jams. Auto traffic can use Foster or Montrose to bypass the area.

sammyg Sep 7, 2015 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioGuy (Post 7151462)
^^ While you're making use of the money tree fund, how about a subway under Lawrence from Kimball to Jefferson Park? That way the brown line can provide a more convenient option for getting to O'Hare rather than heading all the way downtown and then out again on the blue line or taking an east/west bus between the red/brown lines and the blue line that's subject to traffic jams. Auto traffic can use Foster or Montrose to bypass the area.

Getting across the Edens is going to take more than just a subway project under Lawrence.

ardecila Sep 7, 2015 11:21 PM

I am not sure what you mean by this comment, but crossing under the Edens is not a significant engineering obstacle. The bigger and more interesting question is what happens in Jefferson Park.

Planners would have to decide how they want the station to be set up. The simplest thing would be to build a separate station somewhere for the Brown Line to terminate, with a bridge or tunnel connection to the existing Blue Line platform. You could build this elevated over the existing tracks, in a subway cavern deep underneath the existing station, or some third site off to the side on what is currently private property.

However, there's a significant benefit to building some kind of track connection too, so that trains can move between Brown and Blue Line tracks during emergencies and service moves, or even so that certain Brown Line trains could continue directly to O'Hare. That track connection is tough to build, since it would require the Kennedy to be shifted.

SolarWind Sep 8, 2015 3:19 AM

Union Station Transit Center

September 1, 2015

Jenner Sep 11, 2015 3:32 AM

^^^ Yes, and I wish they had used my idea to build a structure underneath to attach to the south concourse which could hold more bathrooms, restaurants, and other vendors, as well as providing escalators from street level bus stops to this new structure. Oh well, maybe they can do that in the future.

ardecila Sep 11, 2015 5:36 AM

There will be an underground connection from the Union Station Concourse to the new bus terminal. Unfortunately, it will be a cramped little hallway.

wierdaaron Sep 11, 2015 6:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7159968)
There will be an underground connection from the Union Station Concourse to the new bus terminal. Unfortunately, it will be a cramped little hallway.

How many panhandlers wide will it be?

the urban politician Sep 13, 2015 10:01 PM

I was just reading about the opening of the new 34th St station in NYC as well as the expected opening of the 2nd Ave subway and got to thinking about when Chicago will have its new rail spurs/lines. We can't even get the downtown BRT right, with all the cost cutting.

We need east-west service downtown. We need to get West Loopers to Streeterville/Navy Pier and vice versa. They are both seeing tons of population growth. It needs to be a subway.

And the Blue line needs to jive better with the system. Screw everything else.

Mr Downtown Sep 13, 2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 7162417)
the Blue line needs to jive better with the system. Screw everything else.

What does this mean?

ardecila Sep 14, 2015 5:20 AM

Just noticed the big new canopies over the sidewalk at Roosevelt. Pretty nice, they definitely scream "transfer point" to the average bystander and provide some needed protection from the elements.

Mr Downtown Sep 14, 2015 12:07 PM

^The canopies are nice, but I guess I was expecting more than just a big sign with the station name for those tall vertical elements. But everything I can think of—like something telling how soon the next train arrives—is awfully expensive to be made redundant by smartphones. The big monitors on the sidewalk are more practical anyway.

I guess we could put up a sign like this, but too many visitors (and Chicagoans) already forget that CTA is an integrated system, in which the buses play a vital rôle, and start wondering why there's no L line to Soldier Field.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...lock_tower.jpg
Wikipedia Commons

Steely Dan Sep 14, 2015 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 7162799)
I guess we could put up a sign like this, but too many visitors (and Chicagoans) already forget that CTA is an integrated system, in which the buses play a vital rôle, and start wondering why there's no L line to Soldier Field.

i've never understand people who think soldier field isn't served by the el. take the red/orange/green lines to roosevelt and just walk. it's like a 15 minute walk, big deal.

i would never dare dream of taking a bus to soldier field on game day. you're just gonna end up uncomortably sardined and stuck in traffic for eternity. walking wins.

wierdaaron Sep 14, 2015 4:07 PM

Imagine if the Bears ran a simple shuttle line between the Roosevelt station and Soldier Field on game days. Just show your ticket.

ardecila Sep 15, 2015 4:13 AM

^ You can also walk from Cermak now.

Mr Downtown Sep 15, 2015 3:37 PM

^Plus the 128 shuttle from Ogilvie and Union Sta.

LouisVanDerWright Sep 15, 2015 4:11 PM

There are also two convenient Metra Electric/South Shore stations as well as the Indiana Bus and Roosevelt Bus. Soldier Field is well served by transit, but it just so happens that there is plenty of parking available and football fans like to tailgate. So, unlike the Cubs in Wrigleyville where it is almost impossible to park within 1/2 a mile if you drive, people view Soldier Field as a place you drive to.

CTA Gray Line Sep 16, 2015 4:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7163046)
i've never understand people who think soldier field isn't served by the el. take the red/orange/green lines to roosevelt and just walk. it's like a 15 minute walk, big deal.

i would never dare dream of taking a bus to soldier field on game day. you're just gonna end up uncomortably sardined and stuck in traffic for eternity. walking wins.

There will be an 'L' line to Soldier Field soon.

MayorOfChicago Sep 16, 2015 1:54 PM

Random, but anyone know who is in charge of changing burnt out stoplights and if something has changed there lately?

I saw a few burnt out red/green lights earlier this summer and thought to myself how extremely rare it is to see them burnt out. I've now been seeing them *everywhere*, downtown, lakeview, west side, northwest side.

I can't be THAT unlucky that I go from seeing basically none in 14 years to now well over a dozen in just a few months - and I don't even drive more than once a week.

Busy Bee Sep 16, 2015 2:14 PM

It could be that the LED lamps were installed more or less in the same period several years ago and they are starting to fail around the same time?