SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

PHX31 Nov 26, 2013 2:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6350514)
The last Phoenix Business Journal article said that the Professional Building/Hotel Monroe sale was scheduled to close on November 22 (yesterday). I wonder when we'll hear anything. I hope a deal goes through this time.

Any word?

exit2lef Nov 26, 2013 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6351140)

Some groups "get it," and others just shouldn't have had their opinion be heard. More parking is TOTALLY the solution to making Hance work, as are cannibalizing the organically successful, truly urban, experiences Phoenix has right now like First Fridays and the Market.

While there were some disappointing and perplexing calls for more parking in the comments, these voices were a small minority during the workshops held a few weeks earlier. When opinions are captured on paper, sometimes the views of a few look equivalent to those of the many. Nevertheless, even people misguided enough to think that what Hance really needs is more parking deserve free speech. Let the community sort out what makes sense and what doesn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 6353386)
Here's the plan put together for the park. Note changes will be made.

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/106214.pdf

I saw this presented and the crowd, which included many skeptical and cynical urbanists, was impressed. I think there's some momentum behind this plan and we can only hope that will help obtain funding for what needs to be done. I didn't hear exact numbers, but it looks like this plan would result in a reduction in land wasted on surface parking. The lot used by library employees would be removed and new underground parking would be placed under the park's northeastern corner.

nickw252 Nov 26, 2013 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6353463)
Any word?

Nothing yet. Maybe after the holiday weekend?

I emailed the reporter to see if there was any news.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ic-buyers.html

Phxguy Nov 26, 2013 6:06 PM

[/QUOTE] I saw this presented and the crowd, which included many skeptical and cynical urbanists, was impressed. I think there's some momentum behind this plan and we can only hope that will help obtain funding for what needs to be done. I didn't hear exact numbers, but it looks like this plan would result in a reduction in land wasted on surface parking. The lot used by library employees would be removed and new underground parking would be placed under the park's northeastern corner.[/QUOTE]

I'm neutral with the plan for the park. While it's an extraordinary improvement compared to what exists now, I think the surface parking on Culver should be taken out and a sort of "Grand entrance" with a fountain can be put in. In reality, as much as I want to do without parking, realistically in Phoenix--that's near impossible, but I'm happier that they chose for underground. I do like how they include the Library with the design and add restaurant spaces around the park and slots for food trucks. I also hope they can extend the Japanese Garden's seasonal open period.
If/when the whole plan for the park comes to functioning, I can see myself plopping into a patio chair with a good lunch and people watching.

nickw252 Nov 26, 2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6353639)
Nothing yet. Maybe after the holiday weekend?

I emailed the reporter to see if there was any news.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ic-buyers.html

Delayed again:

Quote:

The sale of the long-vacant Hotel Monroe building in downtown Phoenix has hit another delay.

A redevelopment group wanting to buy the 82-year-old, 13-story historic building has extended its closing date for a second time.

The group — which wants to develop the art deco building into a 150-room hotel — had first extended its closing date to Nov. 22.

“The closing is now scheduled for Dec 20th. I think it is likely to close on that date, but let’s wait and see,” said Mark Winkleman COO of ML Manager LLC.

ML Manager is the current owner of the building located at Central Avenue and Monroe Street. It is a receivership company that has been selling off assets held by Mortgages Ltd. The Phoenix-based commercial lender filed for bankruptcy protection after its CEO Scott Coles committed suicide in 2008.

ML Manager has owned and has been trying to sell Hotel Monroe since foreclosing on Grace Communities in 2010.

Grace Communities bought the downtown building in 2007 via a $27 million loan from Mortgages Ltd. with plans to develop a hotel.

The current bidder — a real estate entity called Grasshopper One LLC — wants to buy Hotel Monroe for $8 million and has now paid additional money for the two extensions.

The Grasshopper group includes developers from San Diego and Ed Gorman, principal with Modus Development in Phoenix. Modus specializes in in-fill developments. He could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

The Monroe building was long named the Professional Building and was home to Valley Bank & Trust. The bank eventually moved into what is now the Chase Tower across the street.

The building — which also housed a McDonald’s restaurant — has sat empty for years exposed to the elements.

Several other bids in recent years to buy the building from ML Manager have not come to fruition.

The Hotel Monroe/Professional Building also shows up in the opening scene of Alfred Hitchcock’s 1960 P”sycho” movie along with Luhrs and Westward Ho buildings.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n....html?page=all

PHX31 Nov 27, 2013 12:04 AM

At least it is delayed rather than fell through. I would hope if the city has any hand in this they'd do anything they can to help. Maybe the prospective buyers need future incentives for redevelopment or something like that. I say give them whatever they want. Better than letting it sit, or worse.

PHXFlyer11 Nov 27, 2013 12:29 AM

Why not put The Pin in Hance Park? That's the type of iconic attraction they are looking for, is it not?

nickw252 Nov 27, 2013 1:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 6354436)
Why not put The Pin in Hance Park? That's the type of iconic attraction they are looking for, is it not?

I think that's been suggested before and has generally been considered to be a good place for the Pin (if it ever happens). It would help bridge the midtown/downtown skyline and would give you a good view of the skylines.

nickw252 Nov 27, 2013 1:53 AM

I noticed a zoning adjustment sign at the southeast corner of Roosevelt and 7th St. Is that for the proposed mega-Circle-K?

nickw252 Nov 27, 2013 2:12 AM

Quote:

A new 266-unit apartment complex, Elevation Central, is set to begin construction in December. It will be built on the southwest corner of Central and Highland avenues. Photo courtesy of Verdura Residential
Construction on a four story, 266-unit apartment complex in midtown Phoenix called Elevation Central is slated to begin this December on the southwest corner of Central and Highland avenues.

Verdura Residential is the residential development company in charge of the complex, which will be located near two light rail stations – Campbell and Central, and Central and Camelback.

“This is a true transit oriented development project,” Vedura Residential Managing Director Bruce Hart said. “We have designed the project so that it interacts with the light rail.”

Hart said that the team believes Elevation Central will serve “a pent up demand for residents that would not have a lot of options in the Central and Camelback area.”

Elevation Central is one of the many transit-oriented developments planned along the light rail corridor. It is located a short distance from the light rail, and offers 50 bike parking spaces in the six-story parking garage. It will feature studios, one-and-two-bedroom apartments, a two-story fitness center and a swimming pool.

“Transit oriented development is a term used in urban planning that refers to larger buildings, or what we call higher density development, that we try to promote around major transit corridors like the light rail,” said the project manager at the City of Phoenix Planning and Development Department, Curt Upton.

Upton said the basic purpose of transit-oriented development is to have a real estate development pattern that makes it easier, safer and more convenient for people to walk, bicycle and use public transit. He described transit-oriented developments as typically multistory buildings set close to the street, and often without a large-surface parking area. Upton also said that these kinds of developments create a “more lively street scape.”

However, some community members question whether Elevation Central will offer the “fine urban grain design” that many residents desire and are concerned with the design and long-term planning behind the project.

“One thing that people in Phoenix are trying to do is to create more walkable areas,” said Lisa Parks, an organizer for Phoenix Spokes People. “When you have a huge complex like that, it doesn’t encourage any kind of walking because you’re just walking past this enormous building.”

“Fine urban grain developments” incorporate a smaller, more detailed cluster of businesses, restaurants and variety of facades, according to Upton.

Though the designs for the complex may depict a seemingly endless walking experience, the project’s PUD Submittal states that, “visual interest is provided through varying architectural rhythms, depths, heights and materials. Public spaces for leasing, mail, lobby and fitness have been located along the sidewalk facing Central Avenue where transparency is encouraged to activate the street scape.”

“That fine-grain block pattern makes it easier to walk around, and easier to get to different types of destinations,” Upton said. “There could be more small stores as opposed to one big box development.”

Parks explained the appeal of fine urban grain designs by comparing living in Phoenix to her experiences in other large cities like New York City, San Francisco and Boston.

“I loved walking because I was always passing different restaurants and shops, and the blocks were shorter,” she said. “It didn’t make it feel like you were walking very far; you could just walk forever and not feel like it.”

The building’s design depicts a stretch of apartments along the entire block. Citizens’ comments suggest that this design challenges the goal proposed in the Elevation Central PUD Submittal to “create a strong and attractive urban edge along Central Avenue that is inviting to the street, enlivening, energetic and positive.”

“We need to create shorter blocks,” Parks said. “If it’s not going to be on a block that can be shorter, then it would be better to have something on the lower level so at least you’re walking past shops and restaurants rather than a massive building with just apartments.”

Alex Turley, who lives on Sixth Avenue and Fillmore, believes that Elevation Central may not be maximizing space as efficiently as possible.

“It’s wonderful that there’s going to be something on that vacant lot,” Turley said. “My concern is that there are only four levels. If they build it and things continue to grow like they have been, there’s not going to be enough housing downtown.”

Upton said that Elevation Central’s multistory design meets the goals of creating “urban vitality.” Put simply, multiple stories house more people. This creates more opportunity for small businesses to thrive with a concentrated population of customers, Upton said.

“What we’ve heard from a lot of the residents in that part of the city is a need to revitalize the Camelback corridor, that is, the commercial properties west of Central,” Upton said. “This type of project and other projects like it are going to really help revitalize and bring in more business activity, and less commercial vacancy than there is now, which is a big priority for the community.

The complex is Vedura Residential’s second development project in the state, according to Business Real Estate Weekly. The complex is set to be located across the street from the Brophy College Preparatory campus and the St. Francis Xavier church.
http://downtowndevil.com/2013/11/26/...x-in-december/

I'd like to know what the author's source was. I haven't seen any permits pulled. I hope she didn't just go to the Vedura website and rely on their statement that construction is slated to start in December '13.

http://veduraresidential.com/home/elevation-central

pbenjamin Nov 27, 2013 5:41 AM

Quote:

There's a freeway under there, would that work?

Freeway Nov 27, 2013 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 6354781)
There's a freeway under there, would that work?

Why wouldn't it? There's a fairly large tower directly over a somewhat similar tunnel on Georgia 400 in Atlanta.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 27, 2013 5:31 PM

Quote:

Hi Phoenix. New screen name, long time member. Moved from Ohio to Phoenix early this year and have been lurking on you guys for about a year now ;)

I have a lot of interest in the Pin as it was announced practially the first day I moved here and have been watching it closely. Since we have not had any recent developments lately, I decided to contact Brian Stowell about 2 weeks ago. This is part of the response I received...

"The city has expressed interest and plans are still in the works for the project. We have many preliminary issues to work out before we can identify a clear starting date, but we are at work on all of them."

I know that's somewhat of a generic response, but at the least, it looks like the Pin may still be in development and hasn't been cancelled yet.

My opinion of the location picked is due to the proximity of the ballpark, arena, the convention center itself and the high volume of pedestrian traffic this area receives during events which would help boost public interest and attendence. It's a "Hey, while we're here, let's check this out" attraction. Many cities have adopted this philosophy on "riskier" projects with much success. The powers that be know that this location could be a good bet versus a risk if it were buillt anywhere else. Be lucky they didn't pick Westgate :runaway:

Personally, I would love to see a little more design thought put into it (especially after seeing the observation tower Miami is planning). Plus, my choice would be to build this at the downtown civic park instead which would allow much more height and still have high foot traffic volume. But I don't think the current spot is exactly a bad location considering. :tup:

By the way, the Pin appears to have a new name of "Copper Point Tower" according to the website renderings.

azsunsurfer Nov 27, 2013 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 6355238)
Hi Phoenix. New screen name, long time member. Moved from Ohio to Phoenix early this year and have been lurking on you guys for about a year now ;)

I have a lot of interest in the Pin as it was announced practially the first day I moved here and have been watching it closely. Since we have not had any recent developments lately, I decided to contact Brian Stowell about 2 weeks ago. This is part of the response I received...

"The city has expressed interest and plans are still in the works for the project. We have many preliminary issues to work out before we can identify a clear starting date, but we are at work on all of them."

I know that's somewhat of a generic response, but at the least, it looks like the Pin may still be in development and hasn't been cancelled yet.

My opinion of the location picked is due to the proximity of the ballpark, arena, the convention center itself and the high volume of pedestrian traffic this area receives during events which would help boost public interest and attendence. It's a "Hey, while we're here, let's check this out" attraction. Many cities have adopted this philosophy on "riskier" projects with much success. The powers that be know that this location could be a good bet versus a risk if it were buillt anywhere else. Be lucky they didn't pick Westgate :runaway:

Personally, I would love to see a little more design thought put into it (especially after seeing the observation tower Miami is planning). Plus, my choice would be to build this at the downtown civic park instead which would allow much more height and still have high foot traffic volume. But I don't think the current spot is exactly a bad location considering. :tup:

By the way, the Pin appears to have a new name of "Copper Point Tower" according to the website renderings.

As a representative for the AZ Forums I say welcome! We look forward to your contributions to the forums Ronnie.

nickw252 Nov 27, 2013 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 6355238)

Welcome, where in Ohio did you move from? I'm from western Ohio and most recently lived in Toledo

nickw252 Dec 3, 2013 8:02 PM

Does anyone know what's going on at the NW corner of Central and McDowell? There are people working there today. Could this be something like infrastructure improvements related to the proposed Arthaus apartments that are going up behind the Opera Center? Or is this maybe the start of something completely new?

http://i44.tinypic.com/xknlvo.jpg

CrestedSaguaro Dec 4, 2013 4:49 AM

^^^This should be prelimanary groundwork for the artHAUS development. But I have yet to see a rendering and I haven't looked to see if anything else is up for that location. Not sure the 30 unit artHAUS project would fill that entire lot?

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=4717

CrestedSaguaro Dec 4, 2013 4:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6355569)
Welcome, where in Ohio did you move from? I'm from western Ohio and most recently lived in Toledo

Thanks for the welcome. I was from the Dayton/ Cincinnati area

Sean1187 Dec 4, 2013 8:43 PM

Long time lurker here too. Originally from San Antonio and moved here a little over a year ago. Just wanted to put my two cents in, but I'm not a huge fan of the design of the observation tower planned. I love the idea of building one and understand the reasoning behind that design, but like I said, I would like to see other options and maybe have the community vote on their favorite. Any who, I'm excited and can't wait for more news!

westbev93 Dec 4, 2013 8:50 PM

I thought the arthaus project was going on the western portion of the AZ Opera lot, which would mean it would be behind the existing building in the background of the photo and fronting on 1st Ave. Of course, I could be wrong.

nickw252 Dec 4, 2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 6362249)
^^^This should be prelimanary groundwork for the artHAUS development. But I have yet to see a rendering and I haven't looked to see if anything else is up for that location. Not sure the 30 unit artHAUS project would fill that entire lot?

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=4717

Renderings have been posted. I'll see if I can find them. The ArtHaus development is supposed to be behind (west) of the AZ Opera (as westbev said) facing 1st Ave. It's not taking the entire lot. The lot is enormous, ArtHaus will only take a small portion.

The work could still be infrastructure improvements for the ArtHaus, however.

gymratmanaz Dec 5, 2013 12:34 AM

Anyone know what is going on at the Arizona Center. The whole west side facade is covered in tarps. Are they opening it up or adding windows or painting????

Jjs5056 Dec 5, 2013 4:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 6363456)
Anyone know what is going on at the Arizona Center. The whole west side facade is covered in tarps. Are they opening it up or adding windows or painting????

Don't tease. If Arizona Center ever gets a clue and improves its northwest frontage, I'll die happy.

They're probably just adding a billboard. :yuck:

azsunsurfer Dec 5, 2013 4:14 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...aw-school.html

dtnphx Dec 5, 2013 7:19 PM

I hope this is just being moved to another day, but as I was looking through a Central Village Planning Committee meeting for 12/9, I saw that one this item was lined out:

5. Presentation and discussion regarding the Phoenix Tower proposed for the
Heritage and Science Park. Jay Thorne & Kerry O’Reilly, Novawest

Hope the deal is not dead...

HX_Guy Dec 6, 2013 7:37 AM

Detoured through downtown earlier today and snapped some quick progress pictures. Going to dump them all right here since it's easier. :D

[b]Cityscape apartments just about complete...
http://www.nitnelav.com/DT120513/1.jpg

http://www.nitnelav.com/DT120513/2.jpg

http://www.nitnelav.com/DT120513/5.jpg

New "cocktail parlor" opening in the corner of Central and Jefferson, great location!
http://www.nitnelav.com/DT120513/3.jpg

http://www.nitnelav.com/DT120513/4.jpg

These are new, at least to me...lots and lots of green pots on a bunch of streets downtown. They look sort of cool I guess.
http://www.nitnelav.com/DT120513/6.jpg

West side of AZ Central is all covered and has scaffolding up, not sure what they are doing.
http://www.nitnelav.com/DT120513/7.jpg

http://www.nitnelav.com/DT120513/8.jpg

Arizona Cancer Center
http://www.nitnelav.com/DT120513/9.jpg

Roosevelt Point
http://www.nitnelav.com/DT120513/10.jpg

http://www.nitnelav.com/DT120513/11.jpg

http://www.nitnelav.com/DT120513/12.jpg

DeSoto Building, came out fantastic!
http://www.nitnelav.com/DT120513/13.jpg

Jjs5056 Dec 6, 2013 8:33 AM

Great photos. DeSoto looks fantastic; fingers crossed for a great tenant who converts at least a portion of the surface lot into a patio or other outdoor use.

Any ideas what could be going on at Arizona Center? If they were adding entrances along 3rd, scaffolding wouldn't be going up first, right? I wonder if it's just signage- movie posters along AMC, for example?

Bitter and Twisted has gotten delayed several times, but they seem super excited and passionate, so I'm confident it'll open in early 2014. Can't wait for some activity along Jefferson... A lone Subway doesn't do Luhrs justice, and this will be the perfect hangout for Palomar guests and apartment residents - great visibility.

No comment on the pots, ha.

azsunsurfer Dec 6, 2013 3:05 PM

So is it true that the council voted to allow the Circle K on 7th the other day?

CrestedSaguaro Dec 6, 2013 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 6365592)
So is it true that the council voted to allow the Circle K on 7th the other day?

According to Downtown Devil, yes...or at least the liquor license.

Quote:

The Phoenix City Council voted 7–1 Wednesday to recommend approval of Circle K’s liquor license application for a new store on Seventh and Roosevelt streets, a decision that is at odds with the suggestion from city staff.

The liquor license is for a new store that would open across the street from the existing Circle K on the northeast corner. The store would be larger and include six gas pumps, for a total of 12 fueling stations.

The vote comes after Circle K’s use permit application was approved at a zoning meeting on Tuesday with 13 stipulations that set certain requirements in order for the company to keep the permit. Those stipulations include a ban on sales of single containers of alcohol and security requirements for weekends and special events.

In order to sell alcohol at the new location, Circle K needs the new liquor license. It also needs the use permit because the new store will be within 300 feet of a residential area.

Circle K attempted to build the new station last year but withdrew its use permit application after community pressure and added stipulations.

Kim Moody, Garfield Organization board member and Alwun House founder, said he was disappointed with the council’s decision.

“We’re disappointed with the outcome,” Moody said. “We appreciated hearing the mayor’s support of our position and the breadth of the opposition. We feel like there are a lot of offers being put on the table that make changes, but we don’t feel like those changes will be in place next year, and we don’t believe that they will live up to their promises.”

Suzy Peel, Circle K real-estate development manager for Arizona, said the company would not comment on the results of the meeting.

The council’s decision on the liquor license has been delayed multiple times. At previous meetings, District 8 Councilman Michael Johnson said the reason for delays was to afford more opportunities for community members and Circle K to negotiate.

“This has been a very difficult issue,” Johnson said before the vote. “I will say that I understand the community and their distrust of Circle K. Since the time that Circle K was turned down the first time, we sent a strong message to Circle K that we wanted them to work with the community. I think that Circle K has gone out and reached out to the community.”

In October, nine community organizations cosigned a letter detailing their requests to Circle K. The letter included requests that Circle K adopt a different design for the building, prohibit sales of single containers and provide additional security.

While many of those requests are addressed in the use permit stipulations, Dan Klocke, vice president of development for the Downtown Phoenix Partnership, said during the meeting that he felt the stipulations did not go far enough.

“I, too, would like to thank Councilman Johnson for his support in trying to help us come to a conclusion,” Klocke said. “A nice, new, shiny building is great, but it doesn’t necessarily change corporate culture. That’s why we have these stipulations that we were asking for and Circle K did help with those, and we appreciate that. It fell a little bit short in our minds, and so, from that perspective, we are still opposed to this liquor license.”

Klocke said that some of the things that were missing were changes to the store design, restricting sales of single alcohol containers at other Circle Ks in the Garfield neighborhood and providing 24-hour security.

“We’re actually relatively close,” Klocke said. “We just hope that a couple of other things could happen.”

Van Roberts Sr. waits for the meeting to start while sporting a ‘Friends of Circle K’ t-shirt. (Sophie Blaylock/DD)
Nine people spoke in opposition to the liquor license at the meeting and 12 people spoke in favor. However, more people submitted cards opposing Circle K than supporting.

Both sides offered lengthy defenses of their positions and discussion of the issue lasted for an hour and a half. Supporters pointed to Circle K’s actions in Maryvale as evidence that the company could be involved with the community, while those who opposed the license expressed a strong concern about the possibility of increased crime and traffic.

At the start of the meeting, at least five people were wearing shirts that said, “Friends of Circle K.”

John Hammon, one of the people wearing the shirts, said that he and his wife were given the shirts by a man in a green van.

“He said, ‘Here, have a shirt and come down to this place,’ and so we came down here,” Hammon said. “We were told to come down here with our shirts, and somebody gives you 10 bucks or something.”

Peel said that the man distributing the shirts was Jarrett Maupin Sr., the father of Rev. Jarrett Maupin Jr. At the meeting, Maupin Jr. spoke in favor of Circle K. Peel said that Circle K had not offered to pay any of the people in the shirts. All of the people wearing the shirts left the meeting before discussion of Circle K started and were not present for the vote.

Moody said that the community would appeal the decision to the state liquor board.

“The ZA (Zoning Administrator) stipulations are our only promise that there will be improvement,” Moody said. “That’s what we’re living with now, and we will be appealing it to the state liquor board.”

All liquor licenses are approved or denied by the state liquor board. There is a 15-day protest period for complaints. If the board receives complaints during that time, the liquor board will hold a hearing before issuing its decision.
http://downtowndevil.com/2013/12/05/...nton-garfield/

pbenjamin Dec 6, 2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 6365701)
According to Downtown Devil, yes...or at least the liquor license.

http://downtowndevil.com/2013/12/05/...nton-garfield/

The Zoning Administrator approved a Use Permit, does that not mean that the Use Permit, with its stipulations, still needs to go before the Council?

rocksteady Dec 6, 2013 11:40 PM

I just took a couple of east valley folks on a tour of downtown to scout out places for holiday work parties, and they were really impressed with all of the activity and changes taking place downtown since they were last down here at least 5 years ago. They said it actually felt "alive". Living down here myself I obviously have mixed feelings. Yes, there are a ton of great new things popping up, but I'm not seeing any cohesion and planning that ties everything together. Everything is a bit random, but I'm sure in time as things fill in that randomness will make for a great downtown.

The green planter boxes are interesting in that they add some color, but I hate how awkwardly they are placed. Almost as if they were unloaded straight from the truck and not put in ideal positions. I do like the added greenery, hopefully these plants can grow in to something more than what they currently look like.

Also loving all the repainted street signs at the intersections and the various colors painted in the dead zones. I hope they maintain these and not let them fade, chip, or get too dirty.

Driving down by ASU and Roosevelt as First Friday preparations were underway felt really great! I really hope this area continues to fill in. The open lot dirt murals look pretty cool at eye level as you can't tell what they are, but instantly notice all of the added color.

Spitfiredude Dec 11, 2013 5:42 AM

I've got to weigh in on The Pin development....IMO the thing is dead UGLY. It will make downtown look awful and everyone would hate the image of it in a few decades. Honestly, I feel if high rise development was spurring in downtown Phoenix right now, everyone would be against this observation tower (including the city council). Phoenix needs quality, not quantity. Last thing they need is a joke of development just to spur some sort of surge. I do not think it will be built - ever. Lacks solid funding sources.

HooverDam Dec 11, 2013 3:16 PM

Few small things:

I noticed this AM all the Palo Verdes on Washington, on the north side of the road (in front of the Renaissance towers) were cut down. At first I worried they were just removing trees w/ no plans for replacements. One of the workers assured me that they'd be planting some kind of oaks though- so that'll (eventually) be a shade improvement.

Though I wish the Palo's didn't have to be cut down and could've been moved to a park or empty lot. Ah well.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mother Bunch Brewery will be opening probably Q1 2014 on 7th St, where the Cross Fit currently is. "Fresh Wata" event rentals had their grand opening last week and Mother Bunch was there giving out samples.

Even though I'm a teetotaler, I'm excited to see a brewery coming downtown. I wish 4 Peaks would open a location in Downtown PHX.

ASUSunDevil Dec 11, 2013 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 6370629)
I wish 4 Peaks would open a location in Downtown PHX.

Been saying this for years. 4 Peaks or even SanTan Brewery would keep A LOT of business people Downtown after dark, the younger crowd would obviously flock there as well. The more breweries Downtown, the better! :cheers:

Freeway Dec 12, 2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 6364503)
I hope this is just being moved to another day, but as I was looking through a Central Village Planning Committee meeting for 12/9, I saw that one this item was lined out:

5. Presentation and discussion regarding the Phoenix Tower proposed for the
Heritage and Science Park. Jay Thorne & Kerry O’Reilly, Novawest

Hope the deal is not dead...

Any update on this? Looking over the results of the village planning meeting, it doesn't look like this was even discussed.

nickw252 Dec 12, 2013 1:33 AM

Mayor Stanton was interviewed by The Atlantic Cities about what people tend to get wrong about Phoenix. It's a short interview but nice to see that misperceptions about Phoenix are being addressed.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/pol...our-city/7816/

nickw252 Dec 12, 2013 1:49 AM

Hance Park Upgrades Presented to Phoenix Council

Quote:

Margaret T. Hance Park, which covers 32 acres atop the tunnel where Interstate 10 crosses under Third Avenue through Third Street, would get an amphitheater, more shade, additional parking and other upgrades under a draft design presented recently to the City Council.

“The hope is that the park’s revisioning and redesign over the next several years will serve as a catalyst for the resurgence and development of downtown Phoenix,” said David Urbinato, a spokesman for the city’s Parks and Recreation Department.

Among its existing offerings, Hance Park is home to a dog park, picnic area, playground and sand volleyball court as well as the Japanese Friendship Garden of Phoenix and the Irish Cultural Center.

Design plans for the update, presented to the council in mid-November, also include water features, a splash pad, exercise track and establishments offering food and coffee.
http://azbex.com/hance-park-upgrades...oenix-council/

BTW - the new dog park is really nice and has been packed every time I've gone.

R.C113 Dec 12, 2013 1:52 PM

Random and off topic.. I know I know.. :koko:

But I wonder what downtown would look like "IF" it ever had a mixed-residential building, say, 30 or so stories, on the corner of 2nd Ave & Adams St.. that looked similar to Roosevelt Point & the new Palomar mixed, with a green, black, and gray facade to "Green up" the downtown area, off street level of course.. and get rid of 'one' too many of the many parking lots in DT. Also a new city tall commercial mix use building right across from the Chase Tower on-top of whatever building is currently using the SW corner of 1st & Monroe, that used black glass and topped of with an angle (diamond shaped) adorned with a crown that lit up at night.. It would certainly add a little density and identity to the skyline...

Ah the powers of imagination. :worship:

But I'm sure any Phoenician has fantasized about what he/she could do with the growth and image of DT Phoenix.. Being Americas MAIN desert urban sprawl 'n all we should be proud to give it identity and growth. NOT A Google looking pin drop. :(

Something Like this..

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6149ba90.jpg

Obadno Dec 12, 2013 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.C113 (Post 6371925)
Random and off topic.. I know I know.. :koko:

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6149ba90.jpg

Considering that 6 (including the crane) of those buildings have been built during the worst recession in 80 years..... I think we are doing pretty good!:tup:

combusean Dec 12, 2013 7:08 PM

The six buildings that were built were all approved and funded during the boom economy, perhaps with the exception of the new courts tower that was funded with money saved by the county over the preceding several years. We heard nothing during the recession for new projects and even with the economy picking up nobody is so much as even proposing a new downtown tower, let alone announcing a funding agreement, rezoning, etc.

Leo the Dog Dec 12, 2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 6370999)
Been saying this for years. 4 Peaks or even SanTan Brewery would keep A LOT of business people Downtown after dark, the younger crowd would obviously flock there as well. The more breweries Downtown, the better! :cheers:

I'd go. I used to go to 4pks every Friday afternoon.

nickw252 Dec 13, 2013 3:24 AM

Alliance residential developing central phoenix apartment community

Quote:

Phoenix - Alliance Residential Co. in Phoenix (Bruce Ward, Bob Hutt, Jay Hiemenz, partners) has formed a joint venture with AEW Capital Management L.P. in Boston, Mass. to develop a 192-unit apartment project in uptown Phoenix. The 4+ acre site is located at the northwest corner of Central Avenue and Osborn Road. The property, which is close to a light rail station, is owned by a company formed by AEW Capital Management. The venture filed for zoning approval to develop a four-story residential building and a three-story parking structure. ORB Architecture in Phoenix is designing the multi-family complex, which is being called Broadstone Central. Upon approval from Phoenix, construction could start second quarter 2014, with opening to follow mid-2015. Alliance Residential Builders to serve as contractor. Development cost (land and buildings) estimated to be roughly $30 million to $40 million. Construction financing now being arranged. Studio, one- and two-bedroom units to range from about 630 sq. ft. to 1,200 sq. ft. No word on projected rental rates. Prior to starting construction on the apartments, the venture will have to replace a parking garage that serves an adjacent 20-story office tower. In May 2012, BREW reported a AEW Capital Management venture paying $6.4 million ($22.11 per foot) to buy the 289,413-square-foot office building, which is located at 3550 N. Central Avenue. That purchase included a four-story attached annex and a parking structure. The 9.69-acre office project is bounded on the east by Central Avenue, on the west by Second Avenue, on the north by Whitton Avenue (Columbus) and on the south by Osborn Road. The acquisition included the office buildings, parking structure and a ground lease on a portion of the parcel. The 99-year ground lease, for a small parcel owned by the Doyle family, started in 1963 and expires in 2062. The office building, called the 3550 Tower, was built in 1959 and was renovated in 1986 and 1999. The existing two-story parking garage, which has 225 spaces, is located along Second Avenue on the south part of the property. That structure will be razed and a new, three-level parking garage with 474 spaces will be developed on the north portion of the project. That facility will serve the office users and the popular Alexis Grill, which is located on the ground floor of the 3550 Tower. The residential tenants will use subterranean parking with elevator access to the units. BREW has reported Alliance Residential and various partners buying, developing and selling numerous multi-family projects in the Phoenix area. The company is looking for more apartment investment and development opportunities in the Valley. Get more from Swiergol at (602) 778-2800. Talk to Eric Samek of AEW Capital Management at (213) 312-2631.
http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_...r%2013,%202013

This isn't new news but it's nice to see that things are moving along. More residential along the central corridor will be great.

R.C113 Dec 14, 2013 4:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 6372147)
Considering that 6 (including the crane) of those buildings have been built during the worst recession in 80 years..... I think we are doing pretty good!:tup:

Must agree! Just wish Phoenix had more density and urbanity planned into it, instead of thinking haphazardly and placing structures seemingly out the blue. I guess it makes sense that Phoenix is living up to it's name and potential slowly but surely. We will get there :)

soleri Dec 14, 2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.C113 (Post 6374078)
Must agree! Just wish Phoenix had more density and urbanity planned into it, instead of thinking haphazardly and placing structures seemingly out the blue. I guess it makes sense that Phoenix is living up to it's name and potential slowly but surely. We will get there :)

To look at almost any picture of Phoenix prior to 1950 is to realize what a wonderful small city it was. It had everything - density, good transit, handsome buildings, and - most importantly - a seamlessly integrated fabric of retail and residential near the core. In other words, all the stuff that planners love in the abstract but cannot force into actuality. That's the clue: you can't plan it any more than you can plan to be soulful on a blind date.

The high rises, the sports venues, the obligatory Rouse Company project, the Mercado, Heritage Square, the Convention Center, the Pin proposal, etc., all belong to the silver bullet school of urban design. That is, dazzle the rubes with something impressive and you'll revive the core. But it didn't work in Phoenix because it couldn't replace what people are really hungry for, which is the complexity of human social life in a fine-grained setting. There's nothing really urban about throngs of people marching a few blocks through a small downtown to a Suns' game. But we somehow got the notion that the "synergy" would manifest independent of the necessary ecology. Build it and they will come! 30 years into this expensive experiment, we're still hoping against all evidence that this strategy will work. Well, good luck with that. We created a fine-looking corpse downtown but it's not likely to get up and dance anytime soon.

nickw252 Dec 15, 2013 10:11 PM

Grand Avenue between 15th Ave and 7th Ave was narrowed to 3 lanes with a bike lane and street parking on each side. It looks really nice, hopefully a streetscape can develop in all of the nice old buildings on Lower Grand.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2nu59iq.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/11vimhj.jpg

I have no idea what's going on at the Arizona Center. The entire west side of the building is covered in tarps and scaffolding. Probably just painting but we can always hope that they decide to create some kind of a street presence.

http://i40.tinypic.com/282dcp3.jpg

Looked like contractors were putting finishing touches on the Native Connections building this afternoon (Sunday).

http://i44.tinypic.com/141kcw.jpg

ASUSunDevil Dec 16, 2013 4:38 PM

Phoenix's Roosevelt Row to get better lighting, walkways

By Stacia Affelt
azcentral.com
Mon Dec 16, 2013

Phoenix will add more than 30 street lights along the Roosevelt Row arts district next year, a move business owners and community leaders say they have requested for years.

The restaurants, boutiques and art galleries from Central Avenue to Fourth Street will benefit from increased pedestrian safety and customer traffic, community leaders said.

The city estimates it will install seven new roadway lights and 28 new pedestrian lights beginning in April.

The city’s Street Transportation Department began planning the Roosevelt Row Pedestrian Project about eight years ago with the help of community members and business owners.

But the city could not devote the $750,000 needed to fund the project, which also includes street improvements, until now.

“This corridor has had a lot of activity over the years,” principal planner Mark Melnychenko said. “We know it needs to be upgraded, too, for our lighting standards.”

‘Funding is scarce’

Installing lighting on a single street in downtown Phoenix costs thousands of dollars and must meet city standards and use LED bulbs, according to the transportation department.

Phoenix maintains about 90,000 street lights, according to civil engineer Briiana Velez.

Velez said the city has an annual budget of about $2 million for maintenance costs and about $8.5 million for energy costs.

Melnychenko said the department has to be frugal and make decisions the community doesn’t always support, including postponing some projects.

That’s one reason there haven’t been improvements to Roosevelt Row, a district known for its cultural events and proximity to historical neighborhoods, Melnychenko said.

“Funding is very scarce right now,” Melnychenko said. “That’s why a lot of these improvements in the streets take so long.”

Generally, the city has developers decide if street lighting is needed and the developors pay for the lighting when they develop vacant lots, department spokesman Matthew Heil said.

But lighting standards were different when the Roosevelt Row area began its revitalization over a decade ago. The city might not have required as many lights or any lights at all, Velez said.

“So, if they were developed a long time ago, they obviously don’t meet our current standards,” Velez said.

One big difference for downtown now: The city requires the installation of pedestrian lighting, which illuminates the entire sidewalk, while street lighting covers the road.

Beyond downtown, the city generally doesn’t require pedestrian lighting because residents prefer darkness around their homes while they sleep, Velez said.

In the past year, Velez said the city required a move to LED lights. Heil said LED lights are about $300 more per light compared with standard lights, but the city saves more on energy in the long run.

Business owners want lights

Greg Esser, vice president of Roosevelt Row Community Development Corp. board, said it is important pedestrians feel safewalking in the Roosevelt Row district.

The corporation board is made up of activists, business owners and entrepreneurs.

In a recent community planning meeting, Esser said a survey conducted over the past year indicated that better lighting, sidewalks and right-of-way improvements were the main concerns.

“Our mission is to foster a dense, diverse, walkable and sustainable community,” Esser said. “Every pedestrian enhancement or every lighting and safety improvement that we can make helps lead towards realizing our mission.”

Joshua Hahn, co-owner of GROWop Handmade and Found clothing store, on Sixth Street, said the street lighting would make the street more welcoming and inviting for people to shop.

Hahn said the lack of lighting has kept people from walking toward his street or even noticing the building.

“That’s why we’ve gone ahead and hung our own lighting, just to brighten up our corner,” Hahn said. “It would be nice to have the whole street lit up the same way.”

He said he would consider keeping his store open later once there is more pedestrian traffic. Now, shoppers head back to the suburbs once the sun goes down, Hahn said.

Erin Carroll, owner of Songbird Coffee and Tea House, on Roosevelt Street, said her major concern with the current lighting is for employees who walk to their cars or homes after the business closes at 10 p.m.

She said taking out the trash is also troubling because the alleyway is so dark.

Songbird has a bus stop in front of the building, which Carroll said would bring more customers in if not for poor lighting and seating.

“It’s not a friendly place,” Carroll said.

Roosevelt pedestrian project

The city project will include improvements to sidewalks, parking and landscaping, according to the transportation department.

The city plans to narrow the road to create wider sidewalks and make room for pedestrian amenities, such as shade trees, benches and bike racks.

“We’ve been working very diligently in working with the community and getting their input on these improvements,” Melnychenko said.

Melnychenko said department employees went out to observe the area.

People have strong opinions about whether the city should have more lighting or less lighting. They also have opinions about the different kinds of lighting the city should install, Heil said.

“Downtown lighting is a sensitive subject,” Heil said. “We’re often trying to balance community opinion.”

Esser said Roosevelt Row is working with the city to ensure the improvements allow for more “district identity.” Right now, he said the community lacks cohesion because there are different lights on either side of each street.

dtnphx Dec 16, 2013 11:25 PM

I just hope they don't over-stylize the lighting and streetscape by creating an environment we've all seen before that sanitizes the area with faux-urbanity. Nothing like an old planning dude who puts his baby-boomer (I'm one, btw) tastes and overlays it over an organic area like Roosevelt Row.

Jjs5056 Dec 18, 2013 7:22 AM

Ugh, can't believe this streetscspe disaster is finally upon us. They've destroyed streets like 1st, why not move onto the final thread of a community main street?

20' sidewalks causing empty and uninviting stretches of concrete, trees planted 5' in preventing shade to bicyclists, or trees not planted at all given the horrible overhead utility lines, and last, but not least- the removal off all on street parking.

Nothing about the plan will create an identity or truly improve the real problems of this street. Intersections will includes pavers and the 3rd St triangle will be landscaped....other than that, what a waste.

Classical in Phoenix Dec 18, 2013 7:04 PM

While I agree 20' sidewalks might be excessive, I work at Central and Osborn and try to walk as much as possible, the very narrow sidewalks in this part of town make passing people difficult at times.

HooverDam Dec 18, 2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6378057)
Ugh, can't believe this streetscspe disaster is finally upon us. They've destroyed streets like 1st, why not move onto the final thread of a community main street?

20' sidewalks causing empty and uninviting stretches of concrete, trees planted 5' in preventing shade to bicyclists, or trees not planted at all given the horrible overhead utility lines, and last, but not least- the removal off all on street parking.

Nothing about the plan will create an identity or truly improve the real problems of this street. Intersections will includes pavers and the 3rd St triangle will be landscaped....other than that, what a waste.

We tried to stop it, but were shouted down by local business owners. They didn't want on street parking, they wanted "a pedestrian friendly area."

The fact that the City lets non experts decide this sort of thing is a major issue. Both the City Streets Dept (mostly traffic engineers) and the community (owners of shops and restaurants) have no clue or training on how to design a good urban street. When those are the 2 main bodies in a room discussing this thing, its no wonder we get garbage project after garbage project.