SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

Hollywood Graham Oct 6, 2022 3:45 PM

Flappers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9751470)
:previous:
Theda would probably have to work out and drop a few pounds to be a big star today, or even in the mid 1920s. By the 1920s, the "flapper" ideal favored thinner body types, basically gamin and flat chested bordering on anorexic. Some flappers bound their chests and went on severe diets.

By 1929 and the early 1930s, feminine curves and longer (non bobbed) hair came back into style. Garbo led the way when she came to America and became popular in the late 1920s. Mae West for a brief period exemplified an even more chunky look.

By the mid or late 1930s, a preference for fit, athletic women came into style as more women participated in sports. Paulette Goddard, Hedy Lamarr, Kate Hepburn, etc. Fit, with curves, neither heavy nor extremely flapper thin. It approached the current ideal. Even Garbo dropped some pounds in the 1930s to satisfy the fitness trend. She would walk for miles, a practice she kept into old age when she lived in Manhattan.

Mae West if anything gained weight, but she remained popular as a comic parody of herself, bordering on camp. She laughed all the way to the bank. Her films with WC Fields remain classics of course.

Calinative.

I guess Boobs were not a big thing then!!!!!

ethereal_reality Oct 6, 2022 4:55 PM

half my post disappeared.


.
Thanks for finding the location of the Sea Breeze Auto Court, odinthor. :) You mentioned the Golden Bear in your post. .here's one of the first photographs of the place.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/09Ni0q.jpg
Here to see the Golden Bear Facebook page.
.

ethereal_reality Oct 6, 2022 5:00 PM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;9753297]
And here. .in 1938.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/nVDQVV.jpg
Here to see the Golden Bear Facebook page.
[//QUOTE]

I give up.:hell:



Let me try again.

. . .and finally, here.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/qHDGcM.jpg
Here to see the Golden Bear Facebook page.

Sadly, this whole area has been replaced with modern buildings. (the Golden Bear was torn down in the 1980s :()

Most everyone here is aware the Golden Bear became a popular venue for live music in the 1960s, 70s and 80s.

Click Here to see the Golden Bear Facebook page.

Etrue Oct 6, 2022 5:15 PM

Can anyone ID the location?

Pic is from 1959:

https://i.imgur.com/hIp0akd.jpg

I'm assuming it's a hospital parking lot?

ethereal_reality Oct 6, 2022 5:17 PM

:previous:

Welcome to the thread, Etrue. :).. At first I thought the building in the distance was the Prudential Building on Wilshire. . but now I'm not so sure.

hmm. .is her brooch a hand or a comet?

.

ethereal_reality Oct 6, 2022 5:35 PM

.
Recently found on eBay.


"2 Original Snapshots c. 1915 (probably LOS ANGELES) Cigar Seller's Car - El Wadora"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/PeW2gg.jpg
eBay



The family seems so proud (especially the woman behind the wheel) with their investment.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/k7BuQk.jpg
eBay

It's the same car but the cigar sign is different. How'd they do that? :shrug:

.

sopas ej Oct 6, 2022 6:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etrue (Post 9753338)
Can anyone ID the location?

Pic is from 1959:

https://i.imgur.com/hIp0akd.jpg

I'm assuming it's a hospital parking lot?

Looks kinda Park La Brea-ish... that's my guess.

It's shaped like this building: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...EQoip6BQiDARAD

ethereal_reality Oct 6, 2022 6:04 PM

.
re: The Golden Bear (again)


I think this snapshot is really cool.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/O0TEMI.jpg
facebook - for search purposes: Arlo Guthrie - Golden Bear - H.B. July 18-19

Etrue Oct 6, 2022 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 9753429)
Looks kinda Park La Brea-ish... that's my guess.

It's shaped like this building: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...EQoip6BQiDARAD

Wow - yep I think you are probably correct! Likely the Park La Brea Apartments.

https://i.imgur.com/s254H84.jpg

This is my grandmother, and they were living near Miracle Mile at the time in '59, so it's especially likely. I do wonder if the parking lot location where she's standing can be deduced.




tovangar2 Oct 7, 2022 2:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9753380)
.

It's the same car but the cigar sign is different. How'd they do that? :shrug:

.

The cigars are in a big trunk. The second pic shows it loaded the other way around on the vehicle.

ethereal_reality Oct 7, 2022 10:19 PM

.
Makes sense!..I'm surprised that didn't cross my mind. Duh. :dunce:

Thanks T2. I hope everything is going well with you.

.

CaliNative Oct 8, 2022 7:55 AM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;9753310]
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9753297)
And here. .in 1938.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/nVDQVV.jpg
Here to see the Golden Bear Facebook page.
[//QUOTE]

I give up.:hell:



Let me try again.

. . .and finally, here.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/qHDGcM.jpg
Here to see the Golden Bear Facebook page.

Sadly, this whole area has been replaced with modern buildings. (the Golden Bear was torn down in the 1980s :()

Most everyone here is aware the Golden Bear became a popular venue for live music in the 1960s, 70s and 80s.

Click Here to see the Golden Bear Facebook page.

Did such classic L.A. rock groups like the Doors and the Eagles ever play there? Or even OC's own the Beach Boys? Maybe the venue was too small, but so was the Whisky.

Etrue Oct 8, 2022 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9753340)
:previous:

Welcome to the thread, Etrue. :).. At first I thought the building in the distance was the Prudential Building on Wilshire. . but now I'm not so sure.

hmm. .is her brooch a hand or a comet?

.

Thanks! Not sure if it's a hand or a comet, but I will ask my mom if she knows or recalls that piece of her mom's jewelry.

Etrue Oct 8, 2022 4:50 PM

My father took this photograph in Venice, circa 1979 or possibly early 1980.

I wonder if anybody can figure out what street this would've been on.

I'll be willing to bet it most everything looks different but I wonder if there are any clues...

https://i.imgur.com/EWBnVDO.jpg

Martin Pal Oct 8, 2022 5:39 PM

There is a street sign on the right side near the top, but chances seem slim anyone could decipher that!

fullpower Oct 8, 2022 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etrue (Post 9755342)
My father took this photograph in Venice, circa 1979 or possibly early 1980.

I wonder if anybody can figure out what street this would've been on.

I'll be willing to bet it most everything looks different but I wonder if there are any clues...

https://i.imgur.com/EWBnVDO.jpg

i lived in Venice in the Oakwood area in 81-83 and boy does this look familiar. i say its in the traffic circle area, maybe Grand Blvd near Andalusia

Earl Boebert Oct 10, 2022 8:48 PM

That appears to be a 1979 Olds Toronado with temporary license, so the late 79 early 80 date fits.

Cheers,

Earl

Etrue Oct 11, 2022 1:30 AM

I've been trying to place the location of Brian Wilson sitting in a car in the 1970s.
I know the beach boys had a studio in Santa Monica around this time, on 5th Street and Broadway.

I was thinking maybe it was in the parking lot there, by the old dearly departed Henshey's building, but it doesn't quite line up.

Curious if anybody has any ideas based on the buildings in the pic.


https://i.imgur.com/8H7TLxY.jpg

ethereal_reality Oct 11, 2022 4:09 AM

.
I happened upon these five slides on eBay late last week...The place doesn't look familiar to me and there is no address given.

"5 Original 35mm Slides - Hollywood Biltmore Hotel los Angeles 1974"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/yf0hwI.jpg
eBay (no longer listed)







I believe this is the front entrance.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/XSoUyf.jpg
eBay







The lobby looking out toward the street.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/G1nJAu.jpg
eBay







I'm pretty sure this is the courtyard looking towards the front lobby. (the tall building you see must be directly across the street)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/nRRjks.jpg









The last slide is another street view (with bad lighting) taken from a different angle.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/h3WcLa.jpg

Does anyone recognize this place?

.

sadykadie2 Oct 11, 2022 5:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9753380)
.
Recently found on eBay.


"2 Original Snapshots c. 1915 (probably LOS ANGELES) Cigar Seller's Car - El Wadora"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/PeW2gg.jpg
eBay



The family seems so proud (especially the woman behind the wheel) with their investment.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/k7BuQk.jpg
eBay

It's the same car but the cigar sign is different. How'd they do that? :shrug:

.

The sign looks like it's painted on the side of a trunk (there seem to be brackets on the corners). I'm guessing they have 2 different signs painted on opposite sides


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.