SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | NEMA Chicago | 896 FT | 81 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218570)

Chi-Sky21 Jan 10, 2017 4:23 PM

I don't know, i would MUCH rather have my terrace looking over grant park than looking at Mccormick and Comiskey park. But i guess having it flat there gives more units a somewhat better view of the park instead of a terrace beneath.

ardecila Jan 10, 2017 4:34 PM

^ yeah, but putting the setbacks on the north side would preserve more sunlight to the park and reduce the harmful effect of shadows, at no penalty to the height or density of the building.

LouisVanDerWright Jan 10, 2017 8:18 PM

Clearly this building should actually overhang the park preventing any light or air whatsoever from entering. If we build it right, anyone entering Grant Park will immediately be smothered by the total lack of oxygen created by such a design.

Chi-Sky21 Jan 14, 2017 2:33 AM

Was driving in on the Stevenson today trying to picture this. It is going to look like the 2nd tallest in Chicago from that vantage point!

harryc Jan 16, 2017 3:57 AM

Dec 30

Jan 14

Some pretty big holes

SteelMonkey Jan 24, 2017 3:54 AM

If Jahns will be the tallest of the South Loop highrises it seems OGP may have shrunk from previous reports.

Is OGP 829 or 892? Im seeing 829 in all stories on it now which would leave OBP as the tallest all residential at 843 correct?

TimeAgain Jan 24, 2017 4:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelMonkey (Post 7687937)
So is OGP 829 or 892? Im seeing 829 in all stories on it now which would leave OBP as the tallest all residential at 843 correct?

829 was the original reported height, but I believe it's been reported on here as actually 892.

BVictor1 Jan 24, 2017 6:10 PM

01/23/17

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a...D720/ry%3D480/

I'm wondering if a few of the caissons are setting atop the rock instead of drilling into it? I see there are no compressors or other rock caisson equipment on site, but that long liner does have teeth.

r18tdi Jan 24, 2017 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeAgain (Post 7687945)
829 was the original reported height, but I believe it's been reported on here as actually 892.

I still haven't seen that verified anywhere but here.
The official releases from the developer peg OGP at 829.

Notyrview Jan 24, 2017 6:38 PM

BVictor1 reported the 893' figure via an inside source. fingers X.

LouisVanDerWright Jan 24, 2017 7:32 PM

They usually don't roll out the compressors right away when they are doing rock cassions. Even at Vista the compressors didn't show up until towards the end of the drilling.

BVictor1 Jan 24, 2017 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7688639)
They usually don't roll out the compressors right away when they are doing rock cassions. Even at Vista the compressors didn't show up until towards the end of the drilling.

The compressors for Vista were there by early October and they try to get that stuff in early because rock caissons are more time consuming and tedious to drill.

Steely Dan Jan 24, 2017 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 7688559)
I still haven't seen that verified anywhere but here.

Bvic's inside sources have historically been VERY reliable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 7688559)
The official releases from the developer peg OGP at 829.

Bvic often knows more about the nitty-gritty detail specifics of some of these projects than the developers themselves know ;)

BVictor1 Feb 3, 2017 7:10 PM

So I asked a few questions and here's what I got...

On height:

The precise height of the building is not yet determined but it will be somewhere in the range of what I've said before. They are still working through the amount of height needed to accommodate mechanicals and some other systems.

The facade:

The exposed exterior concrete will receive a field applied architectural coating, however this system has not yet been selected.

Regarding the foundation:

The building foundation system will be a combination of rock socketed and top of rock caissons.

The Dampener:

Currently that information isn't available.

I'm sure there are folks from McHugh and CH who peruse this forum and I just want to say thanks for what you do.

Keep Building Up!

Notyrview Feb 3, 2017 8:39 PM

Yes thank you to those folks and please err on the side of taller 🙏🏽

SamInTheLoop Feb 3, 2017 11:03 PM

^^ Nice intel. I'd been curious about the type of caissons this one would need, and had assumed it would have to include some socketed ones.

Field-applied architectural coating on concrete? Guesses as to what exactly we may be talking about here?

LouisVanDerWright Feb 4, 2017 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 7700186)
^^ Nice intel. I'd been curious about the type of caissons this one would need, and had assumed it would have to include some socketed ones.

Field-applied architectural coating on concrete? Guesses as to what exactly we may be talking about here?

I think that's a fancy word for paint.

SolarWind Feb 4, 2017 10:20 PM

January 24, 2017

SamInTheLoop Feb 4, 2017 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7700297)
I think that's a fancy word for paint.

Ha - that's what's I was afraid of.....I like to see "cladding" - not "coating"........disappointingif they're really just painting the non-glazed surface of facade.......also, if this is the case, another window wall tower....which would be very cheap for a Grant Park facing tower.....

SolarWind Feb 5, 2017 7:47 AM

February 3, 2017

BVictor1 Feb 10, 2017 6:30 AM

Not too much new information on this one other than I guess I forgot about the old freight tunnels running under the site.

-No interior columns interrupting residential space
-3 outrigger locations
-tuned sloshing damper
-4’ x 4’ columns
-37’6” x 37’6” module bays

The damper on this one will be two stories, but seeing as things are still being designed, the capacity wasn't available.

Domer2019 Feb 10, 2017 6:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7707564)

The scale on that one looks wacky.

Ned.B Feb 10, 2017 2:42 PM

^Yeah, it suggests that these things are somehow twice the height of BCBS and 25 percent taller than Aon. And it's not just a distorted perspective; they are actually rendered taller in relation to the horizon.

KWILLSKYLINE Feb 10, 2017 6:04 PM

Any guesses when we will start to see them construct the crane base and mat floor? Possibly the end of the month/early march? Any chance this one will have two cranes?

r18tdi Feb 10, 2017 6:21 PM

Quote:

Not too much new information on this one other than I guess I forgot about the old freight tunnels running under the site.

-3 outrigger locations
-tuned sloshing damper
-4’ x 4’ columns

Did the presentation confirm your other source's 893-foot height figure? I hope so!

Mr Downtown Feb 10, 2017 8:41 PM

nm (wrong thread)

IrishIllini Feb 10, 2017 9:27 PM

I really enjoy the low rise buildings fronting on the park (specifically along Michigan), but I won't complain about more height and the southward march of the skyline.

BVictor1 Feb 10, 2017 9:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 7708035)
Did the presentation confirm your other source's 893-foot height figure? I hope so!

The crown and dampening system are still being worked out in terms of design, but the tower will be between 887' - 893', which will still make it the tallest all residential (and tallest rental) building in Chicago when completed.

harryc Feb 12, 2017 3:11 PM

Feb 10

all together now - knocking the cage straight before lowering it.

skyscraper Feb 13, 2017 6:57 PM

Quote:

-3 outrigger locations
-tuned sloshing damper
-4’ x 4’ columns

The damper on this one will be two stories, but seeing as things are still being designed, the capacity wasn't available.

The problem with slosh dampers is that, like almost anything else that contains liquid, they leak. And when they leak, they become a maintenance nightmare. When they become a maintenance nightmare, after many attempts at remediation, the owners give up and just empty them. Then there is no damping system. I worked for Vinoly on this project a little, (spent a year on the second tower though) and fought to have a viscoelastic system, which is basically a system of shock absorbers distributed throughout the structure, and for a while it looked as though they were going to do it, but then changed their minds.

pilsenarch Feb 13, 2017 7:04 PM

Yes, exactly! check out this awesome video of that sort of dampener in action in NYC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJXThNHexJc

Rocket49 Feb 14, 2017 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7710619)
The problem with slosh dampers is that, like almost anything else that contains liquid, they leak. And when they leak, they become a maintenance nightmare. When they become a maintenance nightmare, after many attempts at remediation, the owners give up and just empty them. Then there is no damping system. I worked for Vinoly on this project a little, (spent a year on the second tower though) and fought to have a viscoelastic system, which is basically a system of shock absorbers distributed throughout the structure, and for a while it looked as though they were going to do it, but then changed their minds.

Very interesting.

Do most very tall buildings nowadays have a damping system of some type?

Or does it depend on the design and structure of the tower.

BVictor1 Feb 14, 2017 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket49 (Post 7710923)
Very interesting.

Do most very tall buildings nowadays have a damping system of some type?

Or does it depend on the design and structure of the tower.

It depends on the structure and the use.

You probably won't find too many office buildings with dampening systems.

When it comes to residential, to prevent the sway and sense of motion sickness, you may have a dampener. The first tower in Chicago to use a dampener is Park Tower.

It also depends on the height-width ratio.

SamInTheLoop Feb 14, 2017 3:38 PM

^ Damping. Not 'dampening'.

harryc Feb 14, 2017 3:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 7711442)
^ Damping. Not 'dampening'.

Wouldn't a liquid filled damping device also be a dampening device ?

Skyguy_7 Feb 14, 2017 3:57 PM

^LOL, no sense in making any more jokes on SSP today! Harry wins! :notacrook:

skyscraper Feb 14, 2017 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7710968)
It depends on the structure and the use.

You probably won't find too many office buildings with dampening systems.

When it comes to residential, to prevent the sway and sense of motion sickness, you may have a dampener. The first tower in Chicago to use a dampener is Park Tower.

It also depends on the height-width ratio.

Because of their larger floor plates, office buildings often use tuned mass dampers, which come in a variety of flavors. for example, the concrete block on a lubricated slab, which moves in the x-y plane to counter the movements of the building as it sways. there is also the suspended steel ball, which is basically a pendulum turned on its head. Then there is the slosh damper, already discussed. all of these slow down the acceleration of the building's sway, which is what causes discomfort in the building's occupants. Problem is, they occupy lots of space (2+ stories in some cases) and are expensive. The viscoelastic system I described earlier takes up very little space in each location, and is distributed throughout so as to absorb shocks where they occur locally instead of relying on a whole-building response. They are still considered somewhat experimental, which is why some building owners are reluctant to use them yet.

Jibba Feb 14, 2017 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7711662)
Because of their larger floor plates, office buildings often use tuned mass dampers, which come in a variety of flavors. for example, the concrete block on a lubricated slab, which moves in the x-y plane to counter the movements of the building as it sways. there is also the suspended steel ball, which is basically a pendulum turned on its head. Then there is the slosh damper, already discussed. all of these slow down the acceleration of the building's sway, which is what causes discomfort in the building's occupants. Problem is, they occupy lots of space (2+ stories in some cases) and are expensive. The viscoelastic system I described earlier takes up very little space in each location, and is distributed throughout so as to absorb shocks where they occur locally instead of relying on a whole-building response. They are still considered somewhat experimental, which is why some building owners are reluctant to use them yet.

Any historical cases you know of where one of these devices worked improperly and amplified the buildings movement? I've always been curious about that.

2PRUROCKS! Feb 15, 2017 1:04 AM

I really hope the second tower is not built as designed. It looks like the height difference between 1GP and the second tower is 50ft at the most. That would be a disappointment. A tower at least as tall as Aon should be planned to balance out the southern and northern walls of Grant Park. The design should also be fresh and not recycle the 1GP design. I would love to see something like the shard in London with a diamond shaped top like Stone Container facing south east towards the Lake built at the Roosevelt/Michigan corner.

It will be disappointing if the field applied architectural treatment for 1GP is in fact just paint. This should be clad in metal, stone, or high quality precast not painted concrete.

HomrQT Feb 15, 2017 1:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7710619)

What are slosh damper containers usually made of? Would welding pieces of metal together to create the container not make it sealed against leaks? Also what are your thoughts on the tuned mass damper for Taipei 101?

BVictor1 Feb 15, 2017 1:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 7712327)
What are slosh damper containers usually made of? Would welding pieces of metal together to create the container not make it sealed against leaks? Also what are your thoughts on the tuned mass damper for Taipei 101?

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/r...wind.html?_r=0

BVictor1 Feb 15, 2017 7:16 AM

1200 S INDIANA AVE
Description: INSTALL FREE STANDING POTAIN MD 485B TOWER CRANE

Application Review Summary
Name Completed Date Status
FINAL DATA REVIEW 2017-02-01 APPROVED
STRUCTURAL REVIEW 2017-01-31 APPROVED
PRELIMINARY INTAKE REVIEW 2016-12-27 APPROVED

The owners of this address received a permit on Wednesday, February 1, 2017

SamInTheLoop Feb 15, 2017 2:40 PM

Major Equity Source is from China - Ping An Insurance

Industry newsletter Real Estate Alert revealed yesterday that the majority of the project's equity is being funded by China insurer Ping An.

Total project cost is estimated right around where I thought it would end up - $350 mil. or so.

Article cited a unit count of around 900. That could be a mistake. Or, it also wouldn't surprise me if it's been increased somewhat with smaller avg unit sizes.....anyone here have up-to-date intel on that?

BVictor1 Feb 15, 2017 2:52 PM

^The unit count hasn't changed.

skyscraper Feb 15, 2017 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! (Post 7712326)
I really hope the second tower is not built as designed. It looks like the height difference between 1GP and the second tower is 50ft at the most. That would be a disappointment.

It won't be. That is an old rendering. I did dozens of different options and iterations. I was laid off before any final decisions were made, so I have no idea what the design will be (and I don't think they know yet) but you can rest assured it won't look exactly like the old rendering. Whether it will be better or worse remains to be seen. But some of the options were as tall as 950 feet.
the overall plan had been, and this could have changed since I worked on it, to have 100 condo units at the top and about 650 rentals on the lower floors. I had heard that they had done away with some amenity floors to raise the efficiency of the building but nothing is etched in stone yet AFAIK.

skyscraper Feb 15, 2017 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7712992)
It won't be. That is an old rendering. I did at dozens of different options and iterations. I was laid off before any final decisions were made, so I have no idea what the design will be (and I don't think they know yet) but you can rest assured it won't look exactly like the old rendering. Whether it will be better or worse remains to be seen. But some of the options were as tall as 950 feet.
the overall plan had been, and this could have changed since I worked on it, was to have 100 condo units at the top and about 650 rentals on the lower floors. I had heard that they had done away with some amenity floors to raise the efficiency of the building but nothing is etched in stone yet AFAIK.

Those unit counts were for phase 2, btw. The last I heard, Phase 1 counts were 792 rentals, but if that's up to 900 now then Phase 2 must be getting pared down because there is a limit of how many residential units they're allowed there by zoning.

Ike Beaard Feb 15, 2017 7:59 PM

Quote:

It won't be. That is an old rendering. I did dozens of different options and iterations. I was laid off before any final decisions were made, so I have no idea what the design will be (and I don't think they know yet) but you can rest assured it won't look exactly like the old rendering. Whether it will be better or worse remains to be seen. But some of the options were as tall as 950 feet.
the overall plan had been, and this could have changed since I worked on it, to have 100 condo units at the top and about 650 rentals on the lower floors. I had heard that they had done away with some amenity floors to raise the efficiency of the building but nothing is etched in stone yet AFAIK.

very interesting.

Can you lend any info/ideas/teases to some of the other design and/or massing elements that might be in play?

If GP 1 is a nod to Sears, would GP 2 be a nod to anything?

skyscraper Feb 15, 2017 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ike Beaard (Post 7713342)
very interesting.

Can you lend any info/ideas/teases to some of the other design and/or massing elements that might be in play?

If GP 1 is a nod to Sears, would GP 2 be a nod to anything?

they were both going to be a "nod" to sears (yechhh, I hate that concept but it wasn't my call.) the massings would have been similar; I always described them as conjoined fraternal twins. "my" tower would have been taller and the setbacks would have happened at different levels and in different locations, but it was just a variation on the same theme.

Domer2019 Feb 15, 2017 8:09 PM

Quote:

But some of the options were as tall as 950 feet.

So that just reinforces the likelihood of the towers being "nearly" identical in height.

skyscraper Feb 15, 2017 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer2019 (Post 7713364)
So that just reinforces the likelihood of the towers being "nearly" identical in height.

I guess that depends on your definition; at the time they were around 75-80 feet apart, which is almost 10% of the height so to me not really "nearly identical."