SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Wolf Point - East Tower | 679 FT | 62 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228891)

Notyrview Jun 5, 2018 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller (Post 8210402)
A pedestrian bridge would be an expensive vanity project and redundant.

OHHH you mean like Millenium Park? Yeah that was a big mistake.

Those steel bridges are iconic but Wolf Point is still isolated and a pedestrian bridge would beckon people to use it. No one uses that Kinzie bridge. Like no one.

harryc Jun 5, 2018 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 8210414)
OHHH you mean like Millenium Park? Yeah that was a big mistake.

Those steel bridges are iconic but Wolf Point is still isolated and a pedestrian bridge would beckon people to use it. No one uses that Kinzie bridge. Like no one.

It is actually quite busy - the bike lane could be called crowded.

harryc Jun 5, 2018 4:23 PM

May 29

Notyrview Jun 5, 2018 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8210428)
It is actually quite busy - the bike lane could be called crowded.

Yeah the bike lane is definitely busy. I used to take it all the time but it's not used to get to Wolf Point and will never shout out "Hey, take me to Wolf Point" like a playfully designed pedestrian bridge would. I'm talking about luring people to a destination on foot.

jc5680 Jun 5, 2018 4:44 PM

It is quite busy with pedestrians too.

A dedicated pedestrian bridge is probably overkill, but a better pedestrian connection from Kinzie on the west side of the apparel mart would do wonders. You currently have to trudge through a parking lot/service dock which kind of gives the impression you aren't allowed to walk there.

BuildThemTaller Jun 5, 2018 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 8210437)
Yeah the bike lane is definitely busy. I used to take it all the time but it's not used to get to Wolf Point and will never shout out "Hey, take me to Wolf Point" like a playfully designed pedestrian bridge would. I'm talking about luring people to a destination on foot.

You keep mentioning the Kinzie bridge (which admittedly, I introduced to the conversation) while ignoring the Orleans bridge, the new water taxi stop going in, and the fact that WP is steps from the Brown/Purple Line stop at Merch Mart. Even before WPE construction was underway, residents of WPS would walk along the riverfront at WP to the Orleans bridge all the time. They were there every morning and afternoon on my commute to and from work. There are two pedestrian bridges to WP. Once all this construction is done, Wolf Point will not be isolated as it seems to you.

Notyrview Jun 5, 2018 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller (Post 8210508)
You keep mentioning the Kinzie bridge (which admittedly, I introduced to the conversation) while ignoring the Orleans bridge, the new water taxi stop going in, and the fact that WP is steps from the Brown/Purple Line stop at Merch Mart. Even before WPE construction was underway, residents of WPS would walk along the riverfront at WP to the Orleans bridge all the time. They were there every morning and afternoon on my commute to and from work. There are two pedestrian bridges to WP. Once all this construction is done, Wolf Point will not be isolated as it seems to you.

Sure, but even with the existing infrastructure, Wolf Point will be isolated from Fulton Market when the project is complete. You have to really go out of your way to get there. The development of Wolf Point was always supposed to be a centerpiece, a trophy, and a dedicated pedestrian bridge would make it so. So the more overkill access-wise in this area the better.

harryc Jun 5, 2018 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 8210536)
Sure, but even with the existing infrastructure, Wolf Point will be isolated from Fulton Market when the project is complete. You have to really go out of your way to get there. The development of Wolf Point was always supposed to be a centerpiece, a trophy, and a dedicated pedestrian bridge would make it so. So the more overkill access-wise in this area the better.

You have been reading too many sales brochures.

left of center Jun 5, 2018 8:51 PM

I don't see why everyone here is against a ped bridge. While there are already existing bridges nearby, I think a ped bridge connecting Wolf Point Plaza with Canal St would be a great idea. Currently, having to talk to Orleans then either north to Kinzie or south to Wacker then Lake is a bit awkward while on foot.

Probably not a high priority project, but one that would have obvious benefits if constructed.

Kumdogmillionaire Jun 5, 2018 11:47 PM

Well, since you have the Orleans bridge already built, the other one would be leaking in Lake and Canal foot traffic, which is borderline nonexistent 90% of the day and when it is filled with people it is for those going to Wacker, Wells, and Lasalle for work, so to me it seems stupid. Just sayin

Could be cool if planned well, but I don't see how it would be used nearly enough to be a valuable installation in the next 50 years

BuildThemTaller Jun 6, 2018 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8210817)
I don't see why everyone here is against a ped bridge. While there are already existing bridges nearby, I think a ped bridge connecting Wolf Point Plaza with Canal St would be a great idea. Currently, having to talk to Orleans then either north to Kinzie or south to Wacker then Lake is a bit awkward while on foot.

Probably not a high priority project, but one that would have obvious benefits if constructed.

The reason I'm against it is that the bridges are a signature feature of the Chicago River. A pedestrian bridge would break that up. And pedestrians can easily walk along the River along WPW up to the Kinzie bridge, so it is unnecessary to build another bridge that knocks a half block off the walk. You can walk down to the Riverwalk along WPW right now. It's quite nice down there. The Riverwalk along the Apparel Center is dark, a loading zone, and needs some improvement. If anything needs to be done, it's that small stretch could be improved.

SolarWind Jun 6, 2018 1:58 AM

June 5, 2018

BrinChi Jun 6, 2018 3:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8210817)

Just hire a couple of gondolas to go back and forth :titanic:

AlpacaObsessor Jun 6, 2018 9:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrinChi (Post 8211209)
Just hire a couple of gondolas to go back and forth :titanic:

http://i67.tinypic.com/33xvq0i.png

Notyrview Jun 6, 2018 2:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller (Post 8211013)
The reason I'm against it is that the bridges are a signature feature of the Chicago River. A pedestrian bridge would break that up. And pedestrians can easily walk along the River along WPW up to the Kinzie bridge, so it is unnecessary to build another bridge that knocks a half block off the walk. You can walk down to the Riverwalk along WPW right now. It's quite nice down there. The Riverwalk along the Apparel Center is dark, a loading zone, and needs some improvement. If anything needs to be done, it's that small stretch could be improved.

I do see your point. The bridges are iconic, so if a pedestrian bridge were to ever happen (which as far as I know is only a topic here), the design would have to somehow incorporate that hulking, industrial heritage. It would be a really tough challenge to design something muscular and staunch, yet beckon a sense of leisure, and I'd love to see someone try. Calatrava stay away.

Notyrview Jun 6, 2018 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8210592)
You have been reading too many sales brochures.

And you have a bad memory. For years, this forum was ecstatic with the potential of the site. And as with so many other developments, we've had to lower our expectations. The final plan is acceptable but did it achieve anything noteworthy? Nope.

harryc Jun 6, 2018 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 8211509)
And you have a bad memory. For years, this forum was ecstatic with the potential of the site. And as with so many other developments, we've had to lower our expectations. The final plan is acceptable but did it achieve anything noteworthy? Nope.

This forum does not equal the real world - as somebody who travels past this site daily - I can assure you it is not, nor will it ever be - a draw or destination.

Connecting to the private riverwalks on the West bank is pretty pointless.

Suiram Jun 6, 2018 5:52 PM

As a side note, I would love to see a pedestrian & bicycle only bridge across the Chicago river that is a "modern" take on Chicago-style bascule bridges. I may be in the minority but it would look cool if it captures the context. And of course would be practical.

jc5680 Jun 6, 2018 5:59 PM

never mind

Notyrview Jun 6, 2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8211544)
This forum does not equal the real world - as somebody who travels past this site daily - I can assure you it is not, nor will it ever be - a draw or destination.

Connecting to the private riverwalks on the West bank is pretty pointless.

Of course it won't be. The current development was designed to not make it a destination. Wolf Point is yet another grand opportunity squandered by a total lack of imagination. Total lack of imagination!