SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | Tribune Tower Addition | 1,442 FT | 113 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231808)

rgarri4 Jan 31, 2018 1:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8065478)
^^ :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

wonderful!

i owe you a beer.

I'll hold you to that! Haha.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!
Without giving too much away, the building was very glassy with a lot of nice metal detailing I think people here will appreciate. The corners are curved and the top was lit up nicely in a very iconic way. I hope they stick to that design. We might get something completely different. We'll just have to wait and see. :cheers:

rlw777 Jan 31, 2018 2:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8067000)
Yes, who can fail to be delighted by the fine-grained urbanism, studded with small shops and cafes, seen here?

You gotta love the argument "OK, so it doesn't work so well in reality, but how would it work in theory?"

I agree with you on Trump tower but I can't agree with you on Hancock. Hancock center is delightful from the street. Even on the north and south sides the sidewalks are so massive that drop off cutouts don't matter and they have 2 rows of trees with benches around them for people to sit and take a break. Each side that faces the street has at least one small shop along with entrances for the buildings other uses. Hell even it's sculptural parking ramp is a delight.

Mr Saturn64 Jan 31, 2018 3:04 AM

When I was in Chicago, I did enjoy walking past the skyscrapers. Granted, this is from a tourist's perspective, so a lot of it was the amazement of really being at places I had seen in pictures a thousand times. That applies to Willis and Hancock especially. But my hotel was right by Aon, and I found the plaza in front of it to be very nice. I do think Hancock probably was the best major skyscraper for street interaction, even if it is a mecca for skyscraper nerds like myself.

LouisVanDerWright Jan 31, 2018 3:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8067396)
Walking a shopping district in "the olde country" is possibly a more pleasant experience though. Certainly better for your health than the Mag Mile.

Perhaps more enojyable for you or I, but in terms of number of people who actually show up there to walk it, there is no contest. Michigan Ave is one of the most popular thouroughfares in any city anywhere on Earth. That's not because people are being forced to Red Square to watch the Soviet Army on parade, it's because people like going there for some reason.

Chicago has plenty of other streets that are just as pleasant as the "Olde Country" if that's you cup of tea. Milwaukee Ave, Clark Street, Lincoln Ave, 18th Street, and those are only the gentrified/ing ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 (Post 8067556)
When I was in Chicago, I did enjoy walking past the skyscrapers. Granted, this is from a tourist's perspective, so a lot of it was the amazement of really being at places I had seen in pictures a thousand times. That applies to Willis and Hancock especially. But my hotel was right by Aon, and I found the plaza in front of it to be very nice. I do think Hancock probably was the best major skyscraper for street interaction, even if it is a mecca for skyscraper nerds like myself.

The Hancock is literally the perfect building, I have yet to find any significant flaw in it's design from a function or aesthetic point of view. Also, say whatever you want about Chicago's collection of midcentury towers, but all the premium ones downtown have aged wonderfully. There's no doubt in my mind that these buildings are in much better condition and much more fully occupied than the first Chicago school was at 50-70 years of age. I mean Home Insurance and Masonic Temple were already torn down before they hit 50 years of age and that wasn't even in the post war era.

Khantilever Jan 31, 2018 5:03 AM

I know Paris Syndrome is a thing, but I have to say I think Mag Mile > Champs-Élysées. Not architecturally or even in terms of the streetscape, but in terms of vitality, excitement, activity and overall enjoyability.

And I’ll add to the chorus in defense of the Hancock. I had to return a charger at Best Buy there this weekend, and the plaza at the Hancock was a relief from the bustle of the street further South.

KWillChicago Jan 31, 2018 5:39 AM

The exterior of Hancock I believe is one of the most recognizable out there. The only negative I could think of is from the inside looking out. I couldnt imagine paying huge money for a high floor apartment and have a big ass cross beam blocking half my view. But I suppose thats part of the charm of saying you live in the hancock.

LouisVanDerWright Jan 31, 2018 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8067729)
The exterior of Hancock I believe is one of the most recognizable out there. The only negative I could think of is from the inside looking out. I couldnt imagine paying huge money for a high floor apartment and have a big ass cross beam blocking half my view. But I suppose thats part of the charm of saying you live in the hancock.

Eh, the cross beams are a feature, not a flaw. A buddy of mine lives right above the 75th floor corner where the crosses meet. He has two of them and they are awesome. The one that goes through his living area blocks maybe 10% or less of the window line. He has cushions on it and the ledge along the windows making it essentially a sofa to lay on. Totally awesome.

Skyguy_7 Jan 31, 2018 1:53 PM

^ That's great; a sofa-beam. Function follows form.

From what I've seen in the past, buyers at JHC pay a premium for units with cross-bracing.

bgsrand Jan 31, 2018 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8067729)

That's funny...I posed the same question in the Tower Verre thread. Not sure how I would feel putting down 10's of millions of dollars to have a structural element partially blocking the view. I'd probably be just fine since I have 10's of millions, but none the less.

Also, 510 W. Erie (Erie on the Park) has the same issues though on a much smaller scale. To each their own.

maru2501 Jan 31, 2018 5:09 PM

State Street is pretty fun to walk

wchicity Feb 7, 2018 6:30 AM

Does anyone know when official plans are being released?

left of center Feb 7, 2018 6:28 PM

I think its been stated in this thread by some people that we could potentially see actual renderings by late spring/early summer, but these are mostly just assumptions based on how far along in the designing & political/permiting process this development is estimated to be in. We will probably get a glimpse at some elevations before that though, hopefully.

JMKeynes Feb 7, 2018 9:02 PM

Will this require pre-construction sales to proceed or are condos in Chicago just all built on spec like they are in NY?

left of center Feb 7, 2018 9:07 PM

While there is a condo component to this project, from my understanding it will mostly be rental units. Pre-sale requirements, if any, won't be too much of an issue.

JMKeynes Feb 7, 2018 9:14 PM

Thanks. Bring it on!

jc5680 Feb 7, 2018 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8076871)
While there is a condo component to this project, from my understanding it will mostly be rental units. Pre-sale requirements, if any, won't be too much of an issue.

It's condo and hotel. 158 units/220 rooms respectively according to the tribune article.

Low unit count for a tower this height sounds like they will be pretty pricey. No clear rumblings of a hotel backing the financing like we had with Vista.

Pre-sale requirements could very much be an issue.

JMKeynes Feb 7, 2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8077051)
It's condo and hotel. 158 units/220 rooms respectively according to the tribune article.

Low unit count for a tower this height sounds like they will be pretty pricey. No clear rumblings of a hotel backing the financing like we had with Vista.

How much $/SF are the Vista units selling for?

left of center Feb 8, 2018 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8077051)

Thanks for the correction!

158 units is crazy low for a tower of this height.

Some baseless conjecture: Assuming its ultra luxury (thus, high ceilings), at 12 ft/floor and subtracting 150 feet for lobby/crown/mechanical, it will roughly be 100 floors in height. That works out to under 4 units per floor if you include the hotel count with the condo units. The hotel portion will undoubtedly be denser, which would lower the condo portion to something like 2 units per floor.

This is of course imprecise since we don't know a lot of information, including things such as penthouse unit ceiling heights, the potential for multi-floor units, etc.

aaron38 Feb 8, 2018 12:43 AM

Four units per floor isn't unreasonable for a tower like this with a small footprint. The core takes the center and the four units each get a corner. Larger units get half a floor each.

joeg1985 Feb 8, 2018 11:17 AM

Wasn't the 158 condo units number from the conversion of the Tribune Tower itself? Not the number of units in the supertall new construction?

Chicago_Forever Feb 8, 2018 1:53 PM

^ The Trib tower itself would include 165 residential units (condos). The supertall addition would include retail, 158 condo units and 220 hotel rooms. It's all on the first page of this thread. Also, in the article they also said these numbers could change.

JMKeynes Feb 8, 2018 3:50 PM

How much does the highest end New construction condos sell for? I'm talking about the Wanda Vista and the Stern tower for example?

Mr Downtown Feb 8, 2018 3:59 PM

I usually say around $800 per square foot when folks on my tours ask.

This report claims Vista Tower units range in price per square foot from $716 to $1,590.

Steely Dan Feb 8, 2018 7:38 PM

i cleared out all of the off-topic chicago vs. NYC crap from this thread.

please stay on topic.

Notyrview Feb 8, 2018 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8077887)
I usually say around $800 per square foot when folks on my tours ask.

This report claims Vista Tower units range in price per square foot from $716 to $1,590.

That's not so bad

BVictor1 Mar 14, 2018 6:18 AM

Just thinking...

This is what was put together as a vision when Thompson Center redevelopment conversation was murmuring last year.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/1/19...-redevelopment
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/KgpU...70119841.0.png
Smith+Gill (1,700')

Could we see a 300' shorter version here?

ardecila Mar 14, 2018 6:22 AM

I doubt it, that design bears absolutely no relation to the Tribune Tower. Why would he put a smaller version of that design on a totally different site?

Despite his overall turn toward the futuristic, Adrian Smith still knows how to respect his neighbors. Trump Tower borrowed the curtain wall from IBM, the wedding-cake massing from Wrigley, and the setback heights from both buildings. Bonus, he borrowed the parking ramp from JHC.

Busy Bee Mar 14, 2018 4:54 PM

Adrian Smith: The Appropriate Appropriator

rgarri4 Mar 14, 2018 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8119195)

Could we see a 300' shorter version here?

God I hope not. Jans proposal was so much better.

BVictor1 Mar 26, 2018 12:35 AM

A little birdie told me...

...tweet, tweet...

MONDAY, APRIL 16th

SHERATON HOTEL

TIME ?? (I'm guessing 6ish)

It's not 100% confirmed, but I feel comfortable.

I do believe past articles stated they wanted to be before the plan commission sometime this summer.

HomrQT Mar 26, 2018 1:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8132635)

...tweet, tweet...

MONDAY, APRIL 16th

SHERATON HOTEL

I do believe past articles stated they wanted to be before the plan commission sometime this summer.

OH BOY... :cheers:

Randomguy34 Mar 26, 2018 3:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8132635)

...tweet, tweet...

MONDAY, APRIL 16th

SHERATON HOTEL

The PD application will probably pop up on City Clerk sometime this week

KWillChicago Mar 26, 2018 10:23 PM

Is it too early to throw out a Giggidy?

Kumdogmillionaire Mar 27, 2018 1:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8133673)
Is it too early to throw out a Giggidy?

Nope, it's time :cheers:

BVictor1 Apr 3, 2018 12:47 AM

We should have more info by the end of the week.

munchymunch Apr 3, 2018 12:52 AM

Hypeeee

spyguy Apr 3, 2018 3:35 AM

Community presentation

April 16 - 6 PM - 8 PM
Sheraton Grand Chicago - Ballroom 9 and 10

BVictor1 Apr 3, 2018 5:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 8141148)
Community presentation

April 16 - 6 PM - 8 PM
Sheraton Grand Chicago - Ballroom 9 and 10

Thanks for the confirmation.

KWillChicago Apr 3, 2018 6:39 AM

Two ballrooms? They must be expecting a massive turnout, which I would only expect from a massive project. Dont forget those cameras anyone attending. Lets hope for something epic. NBC north and south lots your next.

Steely Dan Apr 3, 2018 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8140977)
We should have more info by the end of the week.

https://i.imgur.com/m7lzLQ2.gif
source: https://imgur.com/gallery/m7lzLQ2

rgarri4 Apr 3, 2018 3:36 PM

So excited for the renderings.

Kumdogmillionaire Apr 3, 2018 5:40 PM

The next two weeks are going to take forever.... waiting game begins now

left of center Apr 3, 2018 9:53 PM

Ugh, it'll never be April 16th...

:)

rlw777 Apr 4, 2018 2:33 PM

Can't wait. I hope we will get a look at the PD application before the 16th.

The Best Forumer Apr 4, 2018 6:09 PM

renderings? where are they? are they out yet?

Fvn Apr 4, 2018 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Best Forumer (Post 8142845)
renderings? where are they? are they out yet?

I don't think so... they would be all over this thread if they were :P

BVictor1 Apr 4, 2018 8:13 PM

https://scontent.ford4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...71&oe=5AC7DE82

Notyrview Apr 4, 2018 8:25 PM

If Reilly fucks this up we must fund a PAC to remove him from office.

Kumdogmillionaire Apr 5, 2018 12:36 AM

I will choke Reilly with my own bare hands if he blocks us from getting knocking Trump Tower down a peg

HomrQT Apr 5, 2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 8143318)
I will choke Reilly with my own bare hands if he blocks us from getting knocking Trump Tower down a peg

Just quoting this for archival purposes... :D