SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | Tribune Tower Addition | 1,442 FT | 113 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231808)

marothisu Apr 7, 2018 8:16 PM

^ In that case, I wonder if they would consider making the rest of the parking lot into a park or public space.

Kumdogmillionaire Apr 7, 2018 9:13 PM

I would imagine the rest of that area will still be a part of the base of the tower and be filled with amenities+parking. They can still build something there, it just can't obstruct the views that the tower has of the Ogden slip and vice versa(last time I checked that was the rule)

harryc Apr 7, 2018 9:20 PM

2 yrs ago

Mr Downtown Apr 8, 2018 3:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8146084)
The sign should be covered by the landmarks designation, like the ones on the Marshall Field building.

The difference is that CHICAGO TRIBUNE, and the word mark represented in the sign, is an active trademark owned by someone other than the new owner of the building.

10023 Apr 8, 2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8146598)
The difference is that CHICAGO TRIBUNE, and the word mark represented in the sign, is an active trademark owned by someone other than the new owner of the building.

I assure you that Macy’s owns the “Marshall Field & Co.” mark. It would have been acquired along with all of the other assets of the company; it doesn’t go away because they’re no longer trading as Marshall Field’s.

maru2501 Apr 8, 2018 2:28 PM

the sign was added relatively recently, replacing an older version

the urban politician Apr 8, 2018 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8146700)
I assure you that Macy’s owns the “Marshall Field & Co.” mark. It would have been acquired along with all of the other assets of the company; it doesn’t go away because they’re no longer trading as Marshall Field’s.

But Macy bought out the Marshall Fields company, hence their name and branding.

The new developers of the Tribune property do not own the Chicago Tribune, it is a different entity, correct?

left of center Apr 8, 2018 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8146770)
But Macy bought out the Marshall Fields company, hence their name and branding.

The new developers of the Tribune property do not own the Chicago Tribune, it is a different entity, correct?

You are correct. But what i believe 10023 was trying to imply was that even though Macy's owned the trademark to Marshall Field's, they were unable to remove the Marshall Field's name and plaques off the State Street store since it was landmarked as such.

The question here is since the Tribune Tower is landmarked, does that designation include the lettering on the building (as it did for Field's) or not? If so, then the Tribune has a much weaker (if not impossible) case about having that signage be removed.

Chris Stritzel Apr 11, 2018 12:05 AM

Only 6 more days left till this is unveiled (hopefully). Chicago deserves something like this

AlpacaObsessor Apr 11, 2018 1:58 AM

You don't actually have to be a neighborhood resident to show up, right? I'm thinking about heading to the presentation just out of curiosity.

Kumdogmillionaire Apr 11, 2018 2:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor (Post 8150145)
You don't actually have to be a neighborhood resident to show up, right? I'm thinking about heading to the presentation just out of curiosity.

Definitely not, and it's not like they can prove whether or not you aren't a resident of the area anyway. They aren't making people bring a piece of mail with them haha

Go there and shout your support!

710cl Apr 11, 2018 4:32 PM

I want to go to the thing Monday night and make a night out of it and take my gf to dinner nearby afterwards. I should get plenty of info and a look at renderings if I leave before 8 right? I've never been to one of these before.

JMKeynes Apr 11, 2018 4:36 PM

Will this tower be subject to presale requirements? If so, is it likely to rise?

AlpacaObsessor Apr 11, 2018 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMKeynes (Post 8150721)
Will this tower be subject to presale requirements? If so, is it likely to rise?

I'm interested as well. It looks like One Chicago Square can, because it's only about 10% condos, but the Chicago Tribune Tower addition looks like it's more around 40% condos and 60% hotel rooms.

JMKeynes Apr 11, 2018 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor (Post 8150750)
I'm interested as well. It looks like One Chicago Square can, because it's only about 10% condos, but the Chicago Tribune Tower addition looks like it's more around 40% condos and 60% hotel rooms.

Thanks. That 60/40 number is promising.

Kumdogmillionaire Apr 11, 2018 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor (Post 8150750)

I'd expect 33% sales before they break ground, if that. I wouldn't be too concerned about this one

JMKeynes Apr 11, 2018 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 8150791)
I'd expect 33% sales before they break ground, if that. I wouldn't be too concerned about this one

That’s very attainable.

The Best Forumer Apr 11, 2018 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fvn (Post 8142847)
I don't think so... they would be all over this thread if they were :P

Well... I have my fingers crossed... :)

rgolch Apr 11, 2018 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMKeynes (Post 8150815)
That’s very attainable.

What's more, it's in a highly desirable location. Steps from North Michigan Ave without being directly on it. We'll have to wait on details, but you pretty much can't get a better location.

IrishIllini Apr 11, 2018 9:10 PM

Sorry if I missed this discussion, but where did the 1,388' height come from? Is it PD/zoning driven?