SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   List of US+Canada rail transit currently under construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198794)

Cirrus Oct 29, 2022 1:23 PM

Moved Arrow & Wawa commuter rail to complete.

Added LA Purple Line Phase 3 to u/c list.

NY East Side Access is not yet open to the public and therefore remains on the u/c list. It will be moved to complete in December when it opens. Same for Washington Metro Silver Line Phase 2, expected to open in November.

dktshb Nov 6, 2022 6:27 PM

Metrolink only has 44 mile to connect Palm Springs. Let's do this!

I'mjustsay'n Nov 7, 2022 6:31 PM

I don't believe that the transit lines "Skytrain" are properly classified . Really they are light or maybe medium.

Easy Nov 11, 2022 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirectionNorth (Post 9770683)
Re: Metrolink, the ridership (and frequencies) on that system are abysmal. Metrolink reflects the worst tendencies towards building a system that is lots of km long, rather than a system that is useable with good station access, high frequencies, etc. The latest ridership data from APTA shows just 14,300 daily riders - an abysmal number. :2cents:

Imo Metrolink frequencies aren't bad for the San Bernardino and OC lines (when coupled with Amtrak rail-to-rail) and Metrolink is making upgrades to allow more frequent service on several other lines. The real issues for me are that it doesn't go to LA's biggest job center, which is the westside, and that it's very slow especially when approaching/leaving Union Station. The D line extension should help immensely with accessing the westside and the union station run-through tracks could shave several minutes off each journey.

It will still be slow and not access most jobs, but it will be improved and will be useful for many more people. I could see ridership approaching 6 figures per day depending on whether work from work becomes a thing.

Innsertnamehere Nov 11, 2022 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'mjustsay'n (Post 9783996)
I don't believe that the transit lines "Skytrain" are properly classified . Really they are light or maybe medium.

lol what? The skytrain is fully grade separated and very frequent and fast, with high platforms and no street running. It's not particularly high capacity, particularly the Canada Line, but it's very much a metro line.

LAsam Nov 11, 2022 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy (Post 9788256)
Imo Metrolink frequencies aren't bad for the San Bernardino and OC lines (when coupled with Amtrak rail-to-rail) and Metrolink is making upgrades to allow more frequent service on several other lines. The real issues for me are that it doesn't go to LA's biggest job center, which is the westside, and that it's very slow especially when approaching/leaving Union Station. The D line extension should help immensely with accessing the westside and the union station run-through tracks could shave several minutes off each journey.

It will still be slow and not access most jobs, but it will be improved and will be useful for many more people. I could see ridership approaching 6 figures per day depending on whether work from work becomes a thing.

IMO, Metrolink doesn't need to connect to the Westside... that's Metro's job. Metrolink gets you to Union Station and then Metro should take it from there. Subway extension to Century City bring this much closer to reality.

Easy Nov 11, 2022 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere (Post 9788265)
lol what? The skytrain is fully grade separated and very frequent and fast, with high platforms and no street running. It's not particularly high capacity, particularly the Canada Line, but it's very much a metro line.

That describes LA's C line as well, except that it's not frequent. Is that also a metro line?

Easy Nov 11, 2022 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAsam (Post 9788288)
IMO, Metrolink doesn't need to connect to the Westside... that's Metro's job. Metrolink gets you to Union Station and then Metro should take it from there. Subway extension to Century City bring this much closer to reality.

I guess. But if it were to be useful in the way that commuter rail is for many of LA's peer cities, then it would have better connections and more stations within LA city limits. As it is passengers are dropped off at the very edge, even outside of downtown if we're honest, and essentially everyone is required to transfer to complete their journey. It would be like Metro North ending at 125th street or LIRR ending at Long Island City.

Nouvellecosse Nov 11, 2022 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy (Post 9788296)
That describes LA's C line as well, except that it's not frequent. Is that also a metro line?

Yes the green line is metro that just happens to use LRT rolling stock.

Easy Nov 11, 2022 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse (Post 9788320)
Yes the green line is metro that just happens to use LRT rolling stock.

Cool.

Prahaboheme Nov 18, 2022 2:22 PM

DC Silverline heavy rail extension opened this week.

Cirrus Nov 19, 2022 10:55 PM

Huge week for US openings. DC Silver Line opened on Tuesday, and SF Central Subway opened today. Both moved to complete.

homebucket Nov 20, 2022 10:30 PM

SF Muni Metro's Central Subway completed.

Some videos from Opening Day.

Video Link

Video Link

Cirrus Nov 26, 2022 11:16 PM

Boston Green line extension will open Dec 12

Nite Dec 9, 2022 4:22 AM

Quebec City
Video Link

Nite Dec 9, 2022 4:36 AM

Coast to Coast: Looking Back at the Progress of Rail Projects Throughout Canada in 2022
Video Link

Busy Bee Dec 9, 2022 2:21 PM

I watched that Quebec City video the other day. That is one exquisitely designed system...top to bottom.

Cirrus Dec 12, 2022 3:41 PM

Boston 5 mile light rail extension opened today and is moving to the completed list.

Tcmetro Jan 15, 2023 4:25 PM

The Transport Politic has updated the openings and under construction list for 2023:

https://www.thetransportpolitic.com/...nned-for-2023/

BigDipper 80 Mar 10, 2023 12:11 AM

Kind of surprised that there isn't a Honolulu rail thread, seeing as it's supposed to finally open this summer. Probably the most hotly-contested rail project in the country, even when compared to the California HSR project and the NE Corridor upgrades.