SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian May 20, 2021 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dktshb (Post 9286756)
I think the main reason for masks and stay at home policies was to keep the hospitals from being overrun with Covid patients.

That was an important public health reason and you are probably right that it was the one government and health officials were most concerned about. But on an individual level, the effect and reason for masks is what I said.

You have to look at the issue on multiple levels and that's something many people seem unable to do.

At the moment it seems we have licked the virus in the US on a public health level. Today it was announced that we have had fewer than 30,000 new cases a day nationally for the last 5 days and the trend is still downward. That's due to a combination of vaccination and things like wearing masks where it matter: in closed indoor environments.

But for individuals, that still leaves us to be concerned with our own health. And our own health is benefitted when we do not encounter virus-containing airborne droplets and aerosols. These are minimized when infected people wear masks. We can come close to assuming vaccinated people are not exhaling aerosols but at the moment, in too many places, we can't tell who is vaccinated and who isn't. Knowing people like 10023 exist, I'm not willing to take everyone's word or to assume that if they aren't wearing a mask they shouldn't be wearing one.

SIGSEGV May 20, 2021 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9286789)
That was an important public health reason and you are probably right that it was the one government and health officials were most concerned about. But on an individual level, the effect and reason for masks is what I said.

You have to look at the issue on multiple levels and that's something many people seem unable to do.

At the moment it seems we have licked the virus in the US on a public health level. Today it was announced that we have had fewer than 30,000 new cases a day nationally for the last 5 days and the trend is still downward.

But for individuals, that still leaves us to be concerned with our own health. And our own health is benefitted when we do not encounter virus-containing airborne droplets and aerosols. This are minimized when infected people wear masks. We can come close to assuming vaccinated people are not exhaling aerosols but at the moment, in too many places we can't tell who is vaccinated and who isn't. Knowing people like 10023 exist, I'm not willing to take everyone's word or to assume that if they aren't wearing a mask they shouldn't be wearing one.

I mean, I strongly suspect the vast majority of people I see wearing masks outside are vaccinated and the people who aren't are probably a mix.

Pedestrian May 20, 2021 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9286772)
Meanwhile, on my face:

NOTHING

Good for you. Just don't try to enter a bus or shop in California which makes me glad I live where I do and not where you do (although that's true for many other reasons as well).

edale May 20, 2021 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9286772)
Meanwhile, on my face:

NOTHING

sweet bro :tup:

Pedestrian May 20, 2021 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9286790)
I mean, I strongly suspect the vast majority of people I see wearing masks outside are vaccinated and the people who aren't are probably a mix.

Nobody should care outside. I don't and I don't wear a mask there myself (the odd thing is most other people here still do and I don't know why since stats tell us ⅔ of them are vaccinated).

JManc May 20, 2021 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9286790)

Wearing a mask outside (for most situations) after you're vaccinated is not grounded in science; it's either a heightened irrational fear whipped up by media sensationalism or announcing you're not of a particular political persuasion.

SIGSEGV May 20, 2021 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9286797)
Nobody should care outside. I don't and I don't wear a mask there myself (the odd thing is most other people here still do and I don't know why since stats tell us ⅔ of them are vaccinated).

I mean, I'm usually headed from my building (which requires masks in elevators/common areas) to the train (which requires masks) to campus (which requires masks at all times unless you are eating appropriately spaced away from othersf), so not too much point in taking it off for a few minutes, especially as I've found that there's a chance I'll break the elastic by taking it off too much/on. It's just easier to keep it on unless I'm drinking coffee or something.

Although now I'm in mandatory pre-travel quarantine so I won't be headed anywhere for a while...

dktshb May 20, 2021 7:15 PM

New Coronavirus Detected In Malaysian Hospitals

Interesting that NPR just reported another coronavirus separate from Covid found in patients (mostly kids) with pneumonia in Malaysian hospitals that they think came from dogs.

Not trying to be sensational but found it interesting. There are probably so many of these that we're not aware of.

the urban politician May 20, 2021 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9286795)
Good for you. Just don't try to enter a bus or shop in California which makes me glad I live where I do and not where you do (although that's true for many other reasons as well).

:haha: I knew your inner Howard would come out, I couldn’t resist

the urban politician May 20, 2021 7:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 9286796)
sweet bro :tup:

My biggest problem with masks is that they hide my devilishly handsome face. It’s like literally a superhero losing his power. :runaway:

SIGSEGV May 20, 2021 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9286801)
Wearing a mask outside (for most situations) after you're vaccinated is not grounded in science; it's either a heightened irrational fear whipped up by media sensationalism or announcing you're not of a particular political persuasion.

or it's convenient because you're going in between places where you need masks and it's annoying to take it on or off. Just like you don't always take off your jacket when you get on a bus...

the urban politician May 20, 2021 7:19 PM

Show of hands:

Who’s up for heading to Pedestrian’s house and breathing on him?

(J/k)

SIGSEGV May 20, 2021 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9286809)
My biggest problem with masks is that they hide my devilishly handsome face. It’s like literally a superhero losing his power. :runaway:

easy solution, get a custom printed mask with the bottom of your face on it.

iheartthed May 20, 2021 7:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9286801)

This must be a regional thing. I don't think many people in dense cities think about it that way at all.

chris08876 May 20, 2021 7:28 PM

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...7c0f92931e.png

SIGSEGV May 20, 2021 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9286818)
This must be a regional thing. I don't think many people in dense cities think about it that way at all.

Depends on the context probably. Tons of people are wearing masks in Hyde Park which isn't all that crowded and that does seem silly. But here in the loop it can get very crowded on the sidewalk, especially waiting for a crosswalk light and doesn't feel unreasonable to want unvaccinated people to wear masks. Of course they never were in the first place so...

the urban politician May 20, 2021 7:36 PM

I think the best solution is to lift all mandates and let people decide if they want masks. Period.

I say this because the vaccine is now available, and easy to get.

If you haven’t gotten the vaccine by now, it’s because you are a fuck douche and there’s nothing we’re gonna be able to do about your fuck douche-ness anyhow.

I wasted 10 full minutes of an appointment trying to convince a middle aged female patient of mine yesterday to get her Covid shot but got nowhere. She kept being evasive, kept denying data, kept saying that the shots were “rushed”, kept saying that they were “poison”, without acknowledging the irony that she smokes cigarettes.

iheartthed May 20, 2021 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9286826)
Depends on the context probably. Tons of people are wearing masks in Hyde Park which isn't all that crowded and that does seem silly. But here in the loop it can get very crowded on the sidewalk, especially waiting for a crosswalk light and doesn't feel unreasonable to want unvaccinated people to wear masks. Of course they never were in the first place so...

I was in Central Park last weekend and I'd guesstimate that +90% of the people weren't wearing masks (myself included), and it was pretty crowded. There are fewer people wearing masks on the street in general, but it's still probably around the 30-40% masked.

I tend to wear my mask to run errands, since I don't like constantly taking it off and putting it on again. It has nothing to do with feeling like I'll catch COVID while walking outside, or caring what someone thinks about how I voted. I'm more concerned that continuously pulling my mask on and off will break the strap more than anything, lol.

the urban politician May 20, 2021 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9286847)
I tend to wear my mask to run errands, since I don't like constantly taking it off and putting it on again. It has nothing to do with feeling like I'll catch COVID while walking outside, or caring what someone thinks about how I voted. I'm more concerned that continuously pulling my mask on and off will break the strap more than anything, lol.

Or perhaps, you feel naked without it on? :naughty:

SIGSEGV May 20, 2021 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9286847)
I was in Central Park last weekend and I'd guesstimate that +90% of the people weren't wearing masks (myself included), and it was pretty crowded. There are fewer people wearing masks on the street in general, but it's still probably around the 30-40% masked.

yes a broken strap can ruin your day. fortunately my workplace has masks at the entrance which has saved me a few times after I broke my mask strap pulling down my mask to drink some coffee...

I also had to chase my mask for a block after it blew off my ear... Now I always carry a few spares in my backpack.