SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro Jun 21, 2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 9318284)
isn't Chase basically functionally obsolete for office at this point? i could see redeveloping for residential (would need serious $ to pull off) but just don't see it attracting multiple office tenants. might be better to raze it and build something new...

That's my thoughts exactly. I think residential conversion would be too expensive to do on a 40-story tower. But I do think a mixed-use redevelopment would be do-able with some office, residential and maybe hotel space. I don't see Chase getting razed though, just the garage. If this were NYC, I could see the tower getting blown up. I just don't think Phoenix is there yet to rip down the states tallest tower to build something else.

azliam Jun 21, 2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code5 (Post 9316027)
God, I hate that parking lot structure across the street from Chase Tower.

I dig seeing Derby in the distance though.

I'm not a huge parking garage fan, but that parking garage sure came in handy on Saturday night. I took out-of-town family to downtown to hit some bars and restaurants. Tons of people including Dodgers fans parking there. No way in hell were we riding lightrail from North Phoenix in that heat. In a rush to get out of the heat on the way to our reservation at Little Rituals though, I did walk right past David Spade on the corner on Central and Jefferson while my family (taking their time) behind me got a chance to say hi to him.

combusean Jun 22, 2021 3:05 AM

I've speculated that Chase might get demo'd but the fact is it's big enough that demolishing it would be on the same laborious and expensive scale as rehabbing it.

It'll probably sit vacant for a while, five years or so, before a residential/hotel conversion and garage redevelopment project. Definitely after things go back to normal as far as materials costs and hotel occupancy rates and the current batch of apartments is reasonably filled.

Diamonddave Jun 22, 2021 3:31 AM

With 2Q coming to a close and no ground breakings to speak of yet. Let's hope the next 2 quarters bring us some excitement.

ChaseM Jun 22, 2021 5:23 AM

I have no qualm with them eventually razing Chase Tower especially if they decide to put a nicer taller tower in it's place. I do however think if they do decide to do so they should make better use of the block by splitting the block into smaller parcels. I've never really liked the fact that the tower sits in the middle of the block with so much space around it, it's such a waste of space when you can fit multiple buildings/towers on a single block similar to the blocks that US Bank, 44 Monroe, Renaissance Center and so many others sit on.

somethingfast Jun 22, 2021 3:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseM (Post 9318678)
I have no qualm with them eventually razing Chase Tower especially if they decide to put a nicer taller tower in it's place. I do however think if they do decide to do so they should make better use of the block by splitting the block into smaller parcels. I've never really liked the fact that the tower sits in the middle of the block with so much space around it, it's such a waste of space when you can fit multiple buildings/towers on a single block similar to the blocks that US Bank, 44 Monroe, Renaissance Center and so many others sit on.

that's actually a good point. the size of the lot if demolished could allow several structures...so maybe demo'ing it could actually be feasible. one can hope, right? would be great to see 2 or 3 tall/slim towers emerge from that site since it really is emerging as the actual center of DT

azsunsurfer Jun 22, 2021 3:54 PM

I heard the Duke Photography biz sold to another buyer who wants to continue the biz as is and that no raising canes will be happening, can anyone confirm? I read somewhere that the new owners are planning a walk-up coffee concept for part of the photography studio?

biggus diggus Jun 22, 2021 4:02 PM

That sounds like the kind of thing that started as a rumor on nextdoor, but it also sounds totally plausible. Hoping you heard right.

exit2lef Jun 22, 2021 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 9318944)
I heard the Duke Photography biz sold to another buyer who wants to continue the biz as is and that no raising canes will be happening, can anyone confirm? I read somewhere that the new owners are planning a walk-up coffee concept for part of the photography studio?

Duke Photography already has plans to move to another location, so I don't think anyone will be acquiring the Duke business per se. It's possible that the owner that bought the property from Duke is now contemplating another transaction or use, but I haven't heard anything about that.

azsunsurfer Jun 22, 2021 4:10 PM

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/n...e-photography/ here's the Nextdoor rumor....

exit2lef Jun 22, 2021 4:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 9318971)

Interesting. I have no idea what "collaborative bites" are, though.

CrestedSaguaro Jun 22, 2021 4:21 PM

I feel this is a win. I will take this over a Raising Canes on that corner any day. The neighborhood finally picked the right fight for a change as this is a much better building to save than the Pink Liquor store.

biggus diggus Jun 22, 2021 4:31 PM

great news! glad that turned out to have some traction. I'd be satisfied if dutch bros, raising caines and the like all just ceased to exist. That'll never happen so I'll just relish the fact that at least this one isn't happening.

combusean Jun 22, 2021 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus
I'd be satisfied if dutch bros, raising caines and the like all just ceased to exist.

Jebus man, be careful when you talk like that, you just might get into affordable housing development next. :D

pbenjamin Jun 23, 2021 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 9318959)
That sounds like the kind of thing that started as a rumor on nextdoor, but it also sounds totally plausible. Hoping you heard right.

Actually, all that is on Nextdoor is speculation that the hearing being postponed until August is evidence that the neighborhoods are winning.

DesertRay Jun 23, 2021 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azliam (Post 9318377)
I did walk right past David Spade on the corner on Central and Jefferson while my family (taking their time) behind me got a chance to say hi to him.

Last time I saw David Spade in person was when (what was then called) America West Arena had just opened. He had his own "box" at a Team Tennis match. There were maybe 500 people in the Arena, and almost all of the tickets were comps. It was funny to see him looking around to see if anyone knew who he was. Back then, the garage you are talking about and America West Arena were pretty much the only things around. The more things change...:cool:

azsunsurfer Jun 23, 2021 8:49 PM

With the retractable roof I am surprised no one has had any ideas like retrofitting Chase to turn it into a Gaylord Hotel being so close to the convention center or possibly some sort of half indoor/ outdoor amusement park or water park where they can control the climate with the roof.

ChaseM Jun 24, 2021 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 9318917)
that's actually a good point. the size of the lot if demolished could allow several structures...so maybe demo'ing it could actually be feasible. one can hope, right? would be great to see 2 or 3 tall/slim towers emerge from that site since it really is emerging as the actual center of DT

If you think about it thats two downtown blocks that could be divided into smaller parcels to allow for multiple towers/development as the tower block and garage block are basically a package deal. Two prime city blocks that can be entirely redeveloped.

somethingfast Jun 24, 2021 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseM (Post 9321263)
If you think about it thats two downtown blocks that could be divided into smaller parcels to allow for multiple towers/development as the tower block and garage block are basically a package deal. Two prime city blocks that can be entirely redeveloped.

yeah, totally dreaming here but i could see a couple residential towers, an office tower (all slim/tall ~ > 400 ft') and centerpiece observation tower at 700' ? now that would be something...

CrestedSaguaro Jun 24, 2021 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 9321439)
yeah, totally dreaming here but i could see a couple residential towers, an office tower (all slim/tall ~ > 400 ft') and centerpiece observation tower at 700' ? now that would be something...

It's a 500' limit on the Chase and garage block, lol. But I like where you're going ;)