SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Spitfiredude May 5, 2021 10:20 PM

Anyone got an update on Astra?

asugrad May 5, 2021 10:27 PM

Palm Court

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.RE (Post 9270885)
Now we just need to see an updated rendering to really know whether or not we'll be pleased with this development! :shrug:

http://willbruderarchitects.com/proj...lmcourt-tower/

This was the most recent one i think, does look like a podium

azsunsurfer May 5, 2021 10:30 PM

Both proposals had podiums incorporated into the design.

J_PHX May 6, 2021 9:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 9270941)
Anyone got an update on Astra?

Not really an update, but a few weeks ago I asked a friend, who is an engineer on the project, if they would break ground this year and he laughed at me. Unless it's purely ceremonial, he said they have a looot to do before then. :shrug:

CrestedSaguaro May 6, 2021 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_PHX (Post 9272179)
Not really an update, but a few weeks ago I asked a friend, who is an engineer on the project, if they would break ground this year and he laughed at me. Unless it's purely ceremonial, he said they have a looot to do before then. :shrug:

The project is definitely moving. On the back side of the lot, they are installing wood fencing poles concreted into the ground. The is exactly how they built the construction fence for the AC Hotel adjacent to the pedestrian walkways.

The fencing is enclosing the first 2 rows of palm trees and the first walkway adjacent to the garden on the East side. I counted the number of palm trees that look like that will be removed and it equals out to 55 which is the number of palms getting removed according to the plant removal permit filed a few weeks ago. Too bad all these palms are getting removed.

The amount of space that is getting closed off tells me this a variation or is similar to the Will Bruder proposal with a garage covering a large portion of the backside adjacent to the garden. Kind of a shame really as I think a taller podium and tower would be preferable instead of encroaching into the garden so much with so much tree removal.

CrestedSaguaro May 6, 2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azliam (Post 9266034)
Thanks for posting. What a cluster article though. It states the architect is Bates & Forum Studio. I researched an article that stated their website was www.batesforum.com. When you click it, it takes you Lamar Johnson Collaborative; yet, there are no diagrams for Palm Court anywhere on their site. https://theljc.com/

:uhh:

More on why I think that we are still getting the Will Bruder design. Found a site that states they were brought on board to complete design work. The rendering is what looks to me to be the Will Bruder propsal, but the site links it to the Lamar Johnson Collective as the architect and lists Katerra as the contractor. Could Will Bruder have sold the design to LJC? :shrug:

https://baseengr.com/project/palmtower/

PHX31 May 6, 2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9272199)
The project is definitely moving. On the back side of the lot, they are installing wood fencing poles concreted into the ground. The is exactly how they built the construction fence for the AC Hotel adjacent to the pedestrian walkways.

The fencing is enclosing the first 2 rows of palm trees and the first walkway adjacent to the garden on the East side. I counted the number of palm trees that look like that will be removed and it equals out to 55 which is the number of palms getting removed according to the plant removal permit filed a few weeks ago. Too bad all these palms are getting removed.

The amount of space that is getting closed off tells me this a variation or is similar to the Will Bruder proposal with a garage covering a large portion of the backside adjacent to the garden. Kind of a shame really as I think a taller podium and tower would be preferable instead of encroaching into the garden so much with so much tree removal.

Thanks for the good update, but he was talking about Astra, I believe.

CrestedSaguaro May 6, 2021 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 9272236)
Thanks for the good update, but he was talking about Astra, I believe.

Ah! Hahaha, I didn't see whom he was quoting. But at least you all no about Palm Tower :tup:

YourBuddy May 8, 2021 5:21 AM

Sorry couldn’t figure out how to post thevideo, but here is the link.

The Giant Co. proposing 10 story “giant” statue for Phoenix

https://youtu.be/k5NVj_b4QWY

combusean May 8, 2021 8:54 AM

Interesting concept, but building it in 21 US cities kind of removes any potential novelty.

YourBuddy May 8, 2021 4:18 PM

I agree that if it is in 21 US cities then this isn’t much of a unique sight. If it is 21 cities around the world it would be pretty unique for tourists.

locolife May 8, 2021 5:16 PM

From the articles I could find it seems that they’re looking for investors now, until they have the funds lined up I’m not getting too excited. This would be awesome somewhere near or on Roosevelt Row though, it’s probably going to end up acting like a billboard.

biggus diggus May 8, 2021 6:36 PM

I don't think Fuddruckers even exists in 21 US cities.

CrestedSaguaro May 14, 2021 2:37 PM

Landscaping permit was submitted for Edith on the 11th. Not much, but glad to see it's still moving along.

Jjs5056 May 14, 2021 3:25 PM

it's hilarious (frustrating) to see City RFPs still being discussed. Someone said they've "recently" been a bust, but so many of the eyesores / gaps / etc. in DTPHX are thanks to the city, county, or state, and I'd ranted frequently about them since I joined in 2011.

Central Station (V1) was horrible; it's great people now see its potential for a signature project, but V1 was a single-use luxury apartment tower (no retail, private access via Polk). Knipe was a total calamity, if mostly due to local business-owners thinking they're more important than other citizens (midrise live/work condos + senior housing would've made the area a lot more diverse). Same issues with Firehouse (V1), canceled due to local stakeholders wanting Hance Park to kick-off (LOL), Roosevelt Streetscape (City caved to business-owners on no street parking).

Pappas School was a semi-win, but more intensive development would've happened if the property was subdivided. Even the initial plans (townhomes, condos, etc.) have been reduced to lowrise rentals, right? Barrister Place would be amazing, but what are the actual chances of it happening? And, they've tried to get Convention Center Retail, Hyatt Garage, Central/Adams going on/off for ~10 years.

^ That's ignoring: PBC land-banking, 1st Ave assemblage (ASU's Innovation Dorm despite owning a ton of other land) + County blunders like: VB/5th Ave warehouses, Professional Building (VB/Central), and going way back, the Warehouse District.

RE: 5th Ave / Metrowest moving the historic home, I don't hold much hope. That home is great, but there was discussion 1-2 yrs ago that the owner wanted to demo it since demand is obviously high; so, if the move doesn't work, I think we'll see it go in the near future.

Jjs5056 May 14, 2021 3:41 PM

I guess I'm the only 1 hoping Palmcourt Tower fell through? :shrug: AZ Center finally got more than a paint job, but instead of a full-scale urban renovation, the owners: 1) replaced retail space w/ valet (the only LESS urban use of 3rd St imaginable), 2) tore out mature landscaping, 3) built a single-use hotel, and 4) designed a residential tower with no retail space + a freakin' garage fronting the Center's 1 highlight - the gardens.

VB/5th St was a parcel that could've helped solve many problems with great design. A major retailer on the ground level could've drawn people into the center, with restaurant/retail lining both sides approaching the gardens. The retail strip will never be revived now that the outer perimeter has been sealed off with single-use towers.

Moon Tower looks great, but -- shocker -- I'm disappointed with the proposed ground floor. ~200' of linear frontage in the heart of RR, and they'll have a Leasing Office, Lobby, and Coffee Shop... next to a Coffee Bar, across from a Coffee Shop, and with 10+ others nearby. WTF? With the loss of PBS, Atari, and Meow Wolf, it would've been nice to see arts / entertainment purposes... or, anything other than a COFFEE SHOP?

biggus diggus May 14, 2021 4:46 PM

I hope your day brightens up, jjs.

MMDelon May 14, 2021 10:20 PM

The Moon Tower is cool but again I am not impressed. The Skye is cool too but not impressed either. A lot of 250' towers that look pretty basic to me. Maybe that is why there projects are able to go up quickly.

Diamonddave May 14, 2021 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9280028)
Landscaping permit was submitted for Edith on the 11th. Not much, but glad to see it's still moving along.

Iam glad this project is moving along, although it won't enhance the skyline. It will however improve the density.

gymratmanaz May 17, 2021 3:17 PM

As a side note to all the density added DT, I wonder if it has had any effect with extra shade from buildings for pedestrians. I know when walking in NYC, building shade is a nice break over the summer. I purposefully cross the street to walk in shade when I can.