SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro May 9, 2018 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8181942)
I may, or may not, have seen the RFP renderings several weeks ago but I may, or may not have, been sworn to secrecy and it may, or may not, look very cool and I hope it gets built.

It also may or may not be about 22 stories.

So, it's basically a secret cool looking 22 story tower that will get built?

or...

It may not be a secret cool looking 22 story tower that will not get built?

Do I have it right?? :haha:

ASU Diablo May 9, 2018 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8181942)
I may, or may not, have seen the RFP renderings several weeks ago but I may, or may not have, been sworn to secrecy and it may, or may not, look very cool and I hope it gets built.

It also may or may not be about 22 stories.

LOL ah come on, we won't say anything...promise. 22 stories there...in that small footprint...would be awesome. Hurry it up PHXGuy, you're keeping us in suspense!!

Obadno May 9, 2018 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 8181955)
LOL ah come on, we won't say anything...promise. 22 stories there...in that small footprint...would be awesome. Hurry it up PHXGuy, you're keeping us in suspense!!

plausible deniability.

IM NOT GOING BACK TO THE BIG HOUSE! IM NOT GOIN'

Obadno May 9, 2018 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8181954)
So, it's basically a secret cool looking 22 story tower that will get built?

or...

It may not be a secret cool looking 22 story tower that will not get built?

Do I have it right?? :haha:

I only saw the design and that it won the RFP but I have no idea if they have a builder/finance lined up.

Ballister May 9, 2018 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8181627)
Yup, swung by and listened in. Not much new info than we already have (now called Phoenix X or PhoeniX, not sure how it was meant to be called instead of 200 W Monroe.) Still around 600 units, 2 phases. New renderings of the tower exists, though they didn’t show them. 40,000 sq ft of retail, addressing both Van Buren and Monroe and the only driveway for trucks into back of house (which is internal) is on 3rd Ave facing the church. A smaller one exists on Monroe but closer to 3rd Ave than mid-block. Every corner has some retail space.

Best part was the end, where they quickly ran over details on the mixed use tower to be built on the SWC of Adams and Central where the parking lot is. Looks cool, will post photos of renderings later.

SEC, me thinks. :)

Phxguy May 9, 2018 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 8181955)

Lol sorry to keep you guys hanging! At work with my hands tied and an economy to upkeep but here you all are!

^ And you're totes right Ballister :)

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/960/28...12b1c319_b.jpg

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/967/28...889001ce_b.jpg

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/975/28...301b531d_b.jpg

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/962/28...c5f9fd59_b.jpg

ASU Diablo May 9, 2018 5:19 PM

links not working :(

Phxguy May 9, 2018 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 8182098)
links not working :(

All right, how's it looking? I see them all right from my end.

Obadno May 9, 2018 5:51 PM

:cheers:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8182144)
All right, how's it looking? I see them all right from my end.

That's the one. :cheers:

combusean May 9, 2018 6:03 PM

Day 2 of new renderings!

What a beautiful tower. That facade speaks volumes about Phoenix's Modernist heritage.

ASU Diablo May 9, 2018 6:04 PM

Whoah that's pretty sharp looking!!

That will be perfect for that corner and love that it will include Adam Street Activation Plan recommendations.

ASU Diablo May 9, 2018 6:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8182176)
Day 2 of new renderings!

What a beautiful tower. That facade speaks volumes about Phoenix's Modernist heritage.

Day 3 - hopefully somebody finds the new renderings for 200 W Monroe PHXGuy talked about

Obadno May 9, 2018 6:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 8182182)
Whoah that's pretty sharp looking!!

That will be perfect for that corner and love that it will include Adam Street Activation Plan recommendations.

I like the way it almost feels like its leaning over the corner, makes it feel bigger than it is.

Also with such a strong Hotel market hopefully they can get a high end boutique brand for it, the retail and small office should be easy to fill.

mdpx May 9, 2018 6:35 PM

Damn, people!!! This is amazing and fun! I remember a CVS was proposed for that lot. Thrilled that it's going to be vertical. DENSITY is our DESTINY!

fawd May 9, 2018 10:38 PM

Wow, this came out of left field!

Anyone have any idea regarding timetables? What stage is this in the development process?

combusean May 9, 2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8182201)
I like the way it almost feels like its leaning over the corner, makes it feel bigger than it is.

It is. It hangs over the sidewalk.

I remember when a 5 story stick hotel was proposed for this lot and it was an incredible longshot then.

The best part about this is what we're seeing will be what's built or they don't get to keep the RFP.

The shitty part is Berger Holdings has no high-rise experience so it's an equal longshot that they'll build it. Having "flex space" is always dodgy. I've yet to see a highrise built here with "flex space"--its inclusion suggests they have to have *something* for it to pencil out because of some formula but there's no particular demand they know of.

Quote:

Also with such a strong Hotel market hopefully they can get a high end boutique brand for it, the retail and small office should be easy to fill.
This may be what Phoenix needs to reboot its office market. Modern smaller buildings that are startup/boutique professional-oriented will be easier to fill than a big tower that might need lots of pre-leased space.

The simple fact of the matter is that, as is the case even in San Francisco, large square footage demands go to the suburbs and the startups are in the City proper. Chasing major relocations are a fool's errand and large spaces in Phoenix are too often for low wage work--not the sort of thing that fills a brand spanking new downtown tower.

The course of action should accordingly be to provide an environment that grows businesses here at home.

The next challenge will be, as it always has, is to keep those companies homebound so they wave their dicks and build a new tallest in the city proper, not unlike Salesforce and its phallic tower in SF.

ChaseM May 9, 2018 11:13 PM

That sure is a beautiful building I hope this one gets built, it would definitely help in adding some much needed density. On another topic I was browsing through the Phoenix diagram and there's quite a few drawings missing and some that need to be updated in my opinion. What are your guys thoughts?

CrestedSaguaro May 9, 2018 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseM (Post 8182678)
That sure is a beautiful building I hope this one gets built, it would definitely help in adding some much needed density. On another topic I was browsing through the Phoenix diagram and there's quite a few drawings missing and some that need to be updated in my opinion. What are your guys thoughts?

I've been wanting to get back into making diagrams and would love to fill in the missing ones. Problem is I don't have much time as I did when I was making them 10 years ago. If someone else could jump on it, that would be awesome! :yes:

TakeFive May 9, 2018 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8182646)
The shitty part is Berger Holdings has no high-rise experience so it's an equal longshot that they'll build it. Having "flex space" is always dodgy. I've yet to see a highrise built here with "flex space"--its inclusion suggests they have to have *something* for it to pencil out because of some formula but there's no particular demand they know of.

I get the 1st concern but the 50,000 SF of office, flex & commercial space isn't necessarily a concern. It just gives them the 'flexibility' to further assess the potential. :)

There are so many different creative uses for space now and I'm still amazed at the continued growth of coworking space for example.

CrestedSaguaro May 10, 2018 2:46 AM

...and something small on the development front. The apartment homes directly behind the Stewart (other side of the alley facing 1st Ave.) are fenced off and vacant. Never noticed this before. But looks like TransWestern is redeveloping them into an urban hardware store. Didn't get a chance to look it up yet, but I can't tell by the banner on the fence if they are getting torn down or not.

*Edit: Ok, not an actual hardware store. Just the branding:
https://www.pointb.com/newsroom/poin...-of-phoenix-az

Banner:
https://image.ibb.co/nckH5d/20180509_193905.jpg