SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

combusean May 3, 2018 10:01 PM

I'll allow this city vs city discussion insofar as it stays civil and proves the point that Phoenix is much denser than it looks. Dense sprawl is a hallmark of Western regions. East Coast cities are very dense in their center, but sprraawwwllll out very far with low density census tracts. West Coast cities tend to be uniformly dense.

AFAICT, the threshold for urban vs rural is 1,000 people per square mile. So the urbanized densities should exclude tracts without that. It's like not counting South Mountain or the water of the SF Bay when calculating density, which is honest.

CrestedSaguaro May 3, 2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.RE (Post 8176148)
A possible good location would be near the proposed Phoenix rising Stadium on the tribal land and create an environment similar to Westgate on the North side of the 202 and McClintock on the Tribal Lands. Enough freeway interchanges and ways to access the area would make it a prime spot plus near tempe marketplace and the new rio 2100 office parks / cubs spring training.

I feel like the DBacks moving from Downtown would be a slap in the face to Phoenix's LTR. I was always under the impression the current LTR configuration was built on Jefferson due to the stadium and arena. It seems like LTR would have been better running down Van Buren, going past the Zoo and over the Mill Ave bridge instead of Jefferson/Washington. Was the stadium/arena why the current configuration was chosen?

exit2lef May 3, 2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8176166)
I feel like the DBacks moving from Downtown would be a slap in the face to Phoenix's LTR. I was always under the impression the current LTR configuration was built on Jefferson due to the stadium and arena. It seems like LTR would have been better running down Van Buren, going past the Zoo and over the Mill Ave bridge instead of Jefferson/Washington. Was the stadium/arena why the current configuration was chosen?

I think the convention center was also a factor, but a Van Buren alignment would be only one block north of the convention center's north side on Monroe. There may have been other factors. I think I remember reading that Van Buren would have had to be widened in selected locations to accommodate light rail. Jefferson and Washington were already wide enough. Light rail will survive without the Diamondbacks, but it would still be frustrating to have a ballpark accessible only by car. In Atlanta, the old stadium was a fairly long walk from the nearest MARTA station, so not as much was lost with the move to the suburbs.

combusean May 3, 2018 10:27 PM

I have to wonder where the SRPMIC would ever get the funds for a privately owned stadium. A P3 would bring out the pitchforks from many sides (Goldwater, Phoenix, County, State), when for all intents and purposes Chase Field is perfectly usable.

I think the Diamondbacks are just using the threat of moving to extract more concessions from the county after they've mismanaged the facility.

CrestedSaguaro May 3, 2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8176153)
I'll allow this city vs city discussion insofar as it stays civil and proves the point that Phoenix is much denser than it looks. Dense sprawl is a hallmark of Western regions. East Coast cities are very dense in their center, but sprraawwwllll out very far with low density census tracts. West Coast cities tend to be uniformly dense.

AFAICT, the threshold for urban vs rural is 1,000 people per square mile. So the urbanized densities should exclude tracts without that. It's like not counting South Mountain or the water of the SF Bay when calculating density, which is honest.

I am in no way trying to defend Atlanta or say that Phoenix is not dense. I've always felt Phoenix is denser than many Eastern cities that are considered dense. I am just trying to understand the metrics of putting a baseball stadium nearly 20 miles away from the current stadium comes to play. I was continuing the comparison that Atlanta's new stadium is in the burbs, but in reality is only about 10 miles from Downtown. I do not think that should be a good comparison to the Dbacks situation.

Sorry to ruffle everyone's feathers. I should know better than to split hairs with the Phoenix forumers! :tup:

Phoenix22 May 3, 2018 10:37 PM

I like how everybody gets along here and keep the discussion in a civil way.
in Skyscrapercity this will get out of hand quickly

Classical in Phoenix May 3, 2018 11:14 PM

:cheers:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix22 (Post 8176192)

:cheers:

CrestedSaguaro May 3, 2018 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix22 (Post 8176192)

...wait till we start talking about building height :haha:

muertecaza May 3, 2018 11:47 PM

Plan Reviews filed today:
  • Plan Review for AC Hotel at Arizona Center. No additional information.
  • "Marlette 22," comprised of 22 townhomes at 719 E. Marlette. This is across the street from the Wood Partners apartment building approved last year. It looks like it would replace some more detached single family homes. It would be cool if a dense little pocket started to develop there.
  • Another plan review document for 201 W. Van Buren at the Golub Site. States it is for a "553 UNIT MIXED USE PROJECT." Can't remember if we've seen a proposed unit count before.

combusean May 4, 2018 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8176274)
Plan Reviews filed today:

• "Marlette 22," comprised of 22 townhomes at 719 E. Marlette. This is across the street from the Wood Partners apartment building approved last year. It looks like it would replace some more detached single family homes. It would be cool if a dense little pocket started to develop there.

If you can't beat the NIMBYs, bulldoze them! :notacrook:

biggus diggus May 4, 2018 1:42 AM

There is already a lot of multi family on marlette

combusean May 4, 2018 4:50 PM

I like seeing single-family stuff get torn down tho.

fawd May 4, 2018 5:42 PM

Mortenson sells Hampton Inn & Suites for $44M

https://azbigmedia.com/mortenson-sel...uites-for-44m/

biggus diggus May 4, 2018 5:45 PM

That was exceptionally fast, good sign of the market's health. There was an article in the paper this morning about the local economy's health and forecast growth of the valley population.

CrestedSaguaro May 4, 2018 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8176977)
That was exceptionally fast, good sign of the market's health. There was an article in the paper this morning about the local economy's health and forecast growth of the valley population.

Sales have been happening fairly quickly in the Phoenix market with high prices being paid for multi-family (Alta Fillmore, AZ Center's upcoming residential), office (Chase Tower) and now hotel (Hampton Inn). This shows strong confidence in all 3 markets for Phoenix and is a good sign for the years to come. Here's to hoping we finally get the respect of being a "real city" come 2020. :yes:

Phxguy May 4, 2018 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8177011)
Here's to hoping we finally get the respect of being a "real city" come 2020. :yes:

Always fun to see some major event like the Superbowl descend on the city once in a few years and showcase how far along we've come! Would like to compare 2008 footage of downtown with some unspecified 2020s future date.

Obadno May 4, 2018 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8177071)
Always fun to see some major event like the Superbowl descend on the city once in a few years and showcase how far along we've come! Would like to compare 2008 footage of downtown with some unspecified 2020s future date.

We are bidding for 2022 I think atm.

CrestedSaguaro May 4, 2018 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8177143)
We are bidding for 2022 I think atm.

The next 4 Super Bowls are:

2019: Atlanta, Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Super Bowl 53
2020: South Florida, Hard Rock Stadium, Super Bowl 54
2021: Tampa Bay, Raymond James Stadium, Super Bowl 55
2022: Los Angeles, Los Angeles Stadium, Super Bowl 56

So, it will be at least 2023.

Obadno May 4, 2018 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8177180)
The next 4 Super Bowls are:

2019: Atlanta, Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Super Bowl 53
2020: South Florida, Hard Rock Stadium, Super Bowl 54
2021: Tampa Bay, Raymond James Stadium, Super Bowl 55
2022: Los Angeles, Los Angeles Stadium, Super Bowl 56

So, it will be at least 2023.

IDk maybe its 2024 there was an article about us bidding not too long ago.

CrestedSaguaro May 4, 2018 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8177185)
IDk maybe its 2024 there was an article about us bidding not too long ago.

Looks like we're pushing for 2023.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...023/468071002/