SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

biggus diggus Nov 9, 2017 1:14 AM

The developers doing the los olivos lot are one hearing away from obtaining variance to 96du acre. It's 1.3 acres so roughly 120 units and Max height gives them 8 stories. They will build concrete for sure.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 9, 2017 1:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7980489)
If you stand back and look at this city is actually doing a great job urbanizing itself

I completely agree! I come from boring 'ole Dayton, OH where the prize development was a place called the Greene which is in a far flung suburb. The Greene was actually built to "mimic" a Downtown all the way down to even having parking meters. Of course, the parking meter money actually went towards donations, but how silly does that sound?? If you want a place to be like Downtown, then just go to Downtown! Lol

I'm freaking loving this construction boom in Phoenix! It's exciting and I am having a hard time keeping up with it on most days. This city is so much better than the naysayers think it is. I attribute most of it to people that just don't visit other cities much.

I am planning on joining the Downtown Phoenix crowd in the next year or so. I have my sites set on the Stewart...but Link is looking pretty awesome! :yes:

RichTempe Nov 9, 2017 1:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7980499)
The developers doing the los olivos lot are one hearing away from obtaining variance to 96du acre. It's 1.3 acres so roughly 120 units and Max height gives them 8 stories. They will build concrete for sure.

Would they need to go that high for 120 units? The Muse is on about 4 acres, so roughly 3 times the size of the Los Olivos lot, and it has 367 units in 4 stories. It seems like Los Olivos might possibly need to go to 5 stories to get 120 units, but not 8.

8 stories would be great, so hopefully my math is wrong, which is quite possible, or I'm missing something about the proposal. :shrug:

CrestedSaguaro Nov 9, 2017 1:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7980499)

I really hope so, but Edison is 7 stories, and mostly wood except the first 2 levels. I hate wood for urban projects...especially in Downtowns.

nickw252 Nov 9, 2017 2:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7980520)
I completely agree! I come from boring 'ole Dayton, OH where the prize development was a place called the Greene which is in a far flung suburb.

Hah, I'm from Toledo. I know what it's like - although Toledo actually has a few great downtown projects going on right now, particularly this.

combusean Nov 9, 2017 2:01 AM

Either Illuminate or Linear are that density, and both are woodframe.

biggus diggus Nov 9, 2017 2:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7980525)
I really hope so, but Edison is 7 stories, and mostly wood except the first 2 levels. I hate wood for urban projects...especially in Downtowns.

Why would I tell you he'll build concrete and you question me?

biggus diggus Nov 9, 2017 2:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7980536)
Either Illuminate or Linear are that density, and both are woodframe.

And they are both apartments. Anyone with a long term thought process isn't going to buy a condo in a wood frame building and he knows that.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 9, 2017 3:19 AM

[
Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7980572)
And they are both apartments. Anyone with a long term thought process isn't going to buy a condo in a wood frame building and he knows that.

I'm not sure what your basing this all on. I just pointed out Edison is 7 floors and it's wood framed. It wasn't questioning you. I was just making an observation. Edison, En Hance and artHAUS are all condos and they are all wood framed.

biggus diggus Nov 9, 2017 3:25 AM

It will be concrete.

xymox Nov 9, 2017 5:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7980294)
Funny you just posted this. I was just reading Rogue Columnists latest article on Phoenix and HQ2 and how the Phoenix tech sector basically sucks which is why we won't get HQ2.

I agree with his assessment that we won't get HQ2. That's a give in. But, I disagree with Phoenix not becoming a tech hotbed. This (the news above) along with the multitude of tech startups coming here, 3 companies currently testing their self-driving vehicles here, Intel building a new semi-conductor plant and other tech developments shows that Phoenix is an up and coming tech competitor. Are we Silicon Valley? Of course not! But Rogue Columnist really has limited vision when it comes to Phoenix's future. I don't know why I keep reading his crap.

Tons of tech in this town - enough to make it the #2 destination for start up companies looking to leave/expand from the bay area - right after Seattle. There are currently about 5000 tech jobs open in the area. Its our cost of living and newly urbanizing downtown that is making the difference. For a lot of startups - that new round of funding can go mostly to office rent in the bay area - or come to Phoenix and be able to hire a bunch of decent engineers as well. Tuft and Needle wrote up a big blog entry as to why Phoenix is great - its a great read.

(https://m.tuftandneedle.com/if-you-r...y-a7505318cd45)

What the city needs is more natural startups and VC to follow it. That's slowly developing - and with ASU evolving as a very strong engineering school - we have everything we need. Lower cost of living and proximity to the bay area goes a long way for a lot of companies.

And this is on top of all the semiconductor factories, data centers, and 'back office' enterprise jobs that are here (Discover, Amex, Charles Schwab, Wells Fargo, PayPal, etc) - jobs that have been here for over the past 30 years.

Tech is very strong here.

combusean Nov 9, 2017 8:07 AM

I was trying not to comment on this given my biased experiences in the field outside of urban design, but the conversation kept going.

I wouldn't call tech "very strong" in Phoenix, but it's certainly made measurable improvements over the years.

In 2012, when I left Arizona, there were basically no jobs in startup technologies that I do in Phoenix that the Bay Area is known for. There were hundreds of jobs there, which is why I left and have been there since.

In 2017, if you go on dice.com and search job openings for devops, ruby, or python, you'll see that Phoenix is at best a 3rd, more like 4th tier city for startup tech compared to eg, Portland or San Diego. SF and NY are supreme, followed by Seattle and Chicago and Los Angeles and Atlanta (that I searched) followed by everyone else.

Startup tech seems to have made a lot of improvements in Phoenix, but to call it a #2 city after Seattle doesn't reflect who's actually hiring for those coveted tech jobs.

TAZ4ate0 Nov 9, 2017 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7980520)

I'm freaking loving this construction boom in Phoenix! It's exciting and I am having a hard time keeping up with it on most days. This city is so much better than the naysayers think it is. I attribute most of it to people that just don't visit other citlies.

I'm loving the construction boom too! It really is kinda annoying how the malcontents who live here constantly whine and bitch and bash Phoenix....and I'm thinking, seriously?

I'm from Columbus and occasionally make it back to visit. I'll have to say that I'll pick Phoenix over that place all day long. :yes:

dtnphx Nov 9, 2017 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7980489)
There is always a weird conglomerate of Phoenix haters

1. Angry young people that want to “get out”
2. Old timers that lament any change
3. Eastern transplants or Californians that are mad that Phoenix isn’t New York
4. People that live in some far out suburb and think the city is boring despite never leaving their suburb

So you get this contradictory complaining that they want the city to get developed and people complaining that it’s developing too much. Or you get some unfair complaint like about our sprawls as if that’s not a problem in everybody large metro it’s like they choose to forget that nyc and an gmfrancisco still have sprawl. Or that there are no old buildings

What are we supposed to do? Go back in time and redound Phoenix sooner? Tear down 70 years of suburban development? Outlaw cars?the whole thing gets very juvenile

If you stand back and look at this city is actually doing a great job urbanizing itself

That captures it in a nutshell. I think constructive criticism on individual projects or policy is legit, the complaints that town isn't like what you remember, or are from, etc are pointless. Welcome to wherever you are.

Obadno Nov 9, 2017 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xymox (Post 7980681)
Tons of tech in this town - enough to make it the #2 destination for start up companies looking to leave/expand from the bay area - right after Seattle. There are currently about 5000 tech jobs open in the area. Its our cost of living and newly urbanizing downtown that is making the difference. For a lot of startups - that new round of funding can go mostly to office rent in the bay area - or come to Phoenix and be able to hire a bunch of decent engineers as well. Tuft and Needle wrote up a big blog entry as to why Phoenix is great - its a great read.

(https://m.tuftandneedle.com/if-you-r...y-a7505318cd45)

What the city needs is more natural startups and VC to follow it. That's slowly developing - and with ASU evolving as a very strong engineering school - we have everything we need. Lower cost of living and proximity to the bay area goes a long way for a lot of companies.

And this is on top of all the semiconductor factories, data centers, and 'back office' enterprise jobs that are here (Discover, Amex, Charles Schwab, Wells Fargo, PayPal, etc) - jobs that have been here for over the past 30 years.

Tech is very strong here.

Amazon has several thousand employee, Yelp, Carvana, Double Dutch, Weebly, GoDaddy, etc. etc. Some of it is sales offices but its still Tech money. A local Phoenix App just got big funding off shark tank and we have been a data center hub for decades.

As I have said before the 2008 crisis was probably a good thing in the long run for Phoenix because instead of being just call centers, old people care and Construction we have expanded immensely into tech and financial services and our manufacturing and logistics sectors have grown immensely. We also have a decent bio-tech and healthcare industry and our traditional Agriculture and hospitality.

Phoenix and Arizona has a much more well rounded economy than it did in 2007

crwhiteinaz Nov 9, 2017 3:49 PM

Developer entering Arizona market with Class A Biltmore project

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...h-class-a.html

Houston-based real estate developer Morgan Inc. is entering the Arizona market and will build a five-story, 474-unit apartment complex near 24th Street and Camelback Road in Phoenix.

That is one of the most sought-after areas in the state and Southwest.

Morgan and Mesirow Financial are developing the Pearl Biltmore apartments at 24th Street and Highland Avenue. Morgan also has Class A apartments developments in California, Texas, Florida and Missouri.

The multifamily project is being designed by CCBG Architects, and CBRE broker Bert Kempfert helped Morgan and Mesirow acquire the property.

Morgan bought the site, which currently is vacant, for $30.59 million from a group called Biltmore 24 Investors.

The Pearl Biltmore will sit on five acres with construction slated to be completed in early 2019.

“Morgan is bullish on the population and job growth outlook in Phoenix, and we are excited to be entering the Phoenix market,” said Development Senior Vice President Philip Morgan. “This urban location is perfect for our upscale Pearl brand. Pearl Biltmore will be surrounded by premier office space, restaurants and retail, including grocers like Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s. This convenience, coupled with our best-in-class Pearl amenities, will be a win-win for Pearl Biltmore residents.”

The Phoenix market continues to see interest from apartment developers and investors via new projects and property sales.

“We look forward to partnering with Morgan on their latest endeavor. The upscale surroundings of the Camelback Corridor make it the ideal location for this exceptional property, said Alasdair Cripps, CEO and co-chief investment officer of Mesirow Financial’s Direct Real Estate business.

ASU Diablo Nov 9, 2017 4:19 PM

Phoenix Suns' arena overhaul faces opposition from key city leaders

Probably the first time we've heard some concrete news on what the plan is for TSR Arena. Sarver is demanding over $250M for a complete renovation. Renovation would only require a city council vote where a new arena would require tax approval. He knows he probably won't get taxpayer approval so seeking the renovation route. I would be okay with the renovation or new approval if it was re purposed to accommodate the 'Yotes but Sarver is an asshole and won't do that.

http://www.12news.com/news/politics/...ders/490421506

Classical in Phoenix Nov 9, 2017 5:30 PM

Worst case scenario we could lose the Yotes, Suns and Dbacks over stadium issues.

Obadno Nov 9, 2017 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix (Post 7981055)
Worst case scenario we could lose the Yotes, Suns and Dbacks over stadium issues.

Suns and Dbacks aren't going anywhere.

Coyotes could leave though.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 9, 2017 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix (Post 7981055)

This would be a pretty big impact on Downtown growth. Of course, I recognize that people don't solely move to most Downtowns for sports, but most of those Downtowns usually have a lot more going for them. Phoenix losing the Suns and Dbacks will be a huge economic loss for Downtown. At the same time, I don't see the justification of 250 mil of taxpayer money for renovation. This is one of those fine lines where we need to keep those 2 teams Downtown and keep the progress of Downtown going, but saving taxpayer money.

I'm sure the taxpayers would be more up for spending the money on the renovations if Sarver would quit being a selfish jackass and bring the 'Yotes in along with it.