SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

IndyAZ May 11, 2022 5:37 PM

I thought it was already announced it was going to be a Whole Foods?

gymratmanaz May 11, 2022 5:39 PM

I forget, did we hear a possible height for that tower? My min=d says 15, but I am not sure.

ASU Diablo May 11, 2022 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyAZ (Post 9622352)

oh shit!! IndyAZ always coming through with the awesome news. :cheers:

Obadno May 11, 2022 5:57 PM

Nice stepping in connecting Midtown to Downtown from a skyline Perspective.

CrestedSaguaro May 11, 2022 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyAZ (Post 9622352)

We saw there was a retail pad in the site plan I posted that was large enough to house a grocer, but it didn't show what was going there. Are you saying you already know?? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 9622354)
I forget, did we hear a possible height for that tower? My min=d says 15, but I am not sure.

Tower height is proposed at 250'. As Obadno said above, going to be a nice gap filler!

Prestige Worldwide May 11, 2022 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9622406)
We saw there was a retail pad in the site plan I posted that was large enough to house a grocer, but it didn't show what was going there. Are you saying you already know?? ;)

Tower height is proposed at 250'. As Obadno said above, going to be a nice gap filler!

I have also heard it is Whole Foods.

gymratmanaz May 11, 2022 7:18 PM

Well, damn it, break ground on this one!!!!! Sounds awesome!!! :)

CrestedSaguaro May 11, 2022 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestige Worldwide (Post 9622445)
I have also heard it is Whole Foods.

We did discuss that we would like to see a Whole Foods on this location, but nothing definitive was ever posted.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...73764&page=995

IndyAZ May 11, 2022 8:38 PM

My bad... I must have misread that when I saw it originally posted and though that was confirmed.

However, I did do some digging and it sounds like it's not a Whole Foods, but yet another Grocery Concept that we don't currently have in Arizona. I have a hunch its the one associated with a certain corporate giant that is in a few other major big cities....

MiEncanto May 11, 2022 8:52 PM

As long as we're trying to will grocery stores into existence, I think a Trader Joe's around Filmore between the 3's would absolutely crush.

Obadno May 11, 2022 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiEncanto (Post 9622597)
As long as we're trying to will grocery stores into existence, I think a Trader Joe's around Fillmore between the 3's would absolutely crush.

Wasn't McKinley Green supposed to have a grocery store?

IndyAZ May 12, 2022 3:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9622667)
Wasn't McKinley Green supposed to have a grocery store?

An early proposal did have a rough grocery concept included, but that was slashed over time, as I would assume they couldn't secure a lease upfront. They just have general commercial space now.

The 1500 Central tower project has a major company already on-board, and the building is being purpose built around them, similar to how Fry's was built. You have to have a massive parking garage for them, separate from the residential tower, and a fairly intensive loading dock, so they have to be fully signed on from the start.

ASU Diablo May 12, 2022 3:21 PM

Developer looks to build huge mixed-use project in historic area of Phoenix

Article about the proposed tower on NEC Central and Fillmore.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ial-tower.html

Quote:

A once-historic site in downtown Phoenix is set to become another massive mixed-use project with a towering residential and retail building totaling about 1 million square feet.

Documents submitted to the city of Phoenix show that Chicago-based developer LG Development Group has proposed building a 29-story multifamily building with 747 residential units comprised of studio and one-to-three-bedroom units and 29,000 square feet of ground level commercial space.

The 2-acre property covers an entire block at 601 N. Central Ave. and is bounded by Pierce Street, Fillmore Street, Central Avenue and First Street across from the historic Westward Ho building. Since the 2000s, the site has been used for surface parking after the previous structure was demolished.

LG Development Group purchased the property from Glasir Capital Partners for $22 million in March, according to real estate database Vizzda. LG Group, which owns LG Development and LG Construction, declined to comment on the project.

The facility could also feature amenities like a pool and spa, fitness center and clubhouse for the ground floor and levels 8 and 28, according to a preliminary application submitted in March by law firm Snell & Wilmer.

The development also proposes a public open space at the southwest corner of the site near the Central Avenue and Fillmore Street intersection. Chicago-based bKL Architecture is the architect.

Primary vehicle access is proposed for Fillmore Street to the south and Pierce Street to the north, documents said. The city said the project, which is in the preliminary process, has not been approved yet.

Site develops after longtime owners sell
In 2020, longtime Phoenix residents Honeylou and Morris Reznik sold the 1.83-acre property to an entity tracing to Glasir Capital Partners for $14 million.

The couple had owned the property, which was home to an underground bowling alley famously known as the Gold Spot on the parcel's corner, for nearly 50 years.

The bowling alley was operational from 1939 to 1950 and on the southeast corner of Central Avenue and Pierce Street. Glass blocks on the sidewalk were formerly used as subterranean skylights, according to Downtown Phoenix.

Honeylou Reznik previously told the Business Journal that she remembered using the bowling alley while attending Phoenix Union High School in the 1940s.

Just north of the property, Glasir Capital Partners also recently purchased about 3 acres that was home to the former site of the Downtown Phoenix Farmers Market and the Phoenix Public Market Cafe, which closed during the Covid-19 pandemic.

More residential projects have been proposed or planned for downtown Phoenix in recent years, especially with the growth of higher education and jobs in the area.

As of May 2021, Colliers International said the Phoenix core, which includes downtown and midtown Phoenix, had a total of 11,760 multifamily units with 5,306 units under construction and 2,046 units planned.
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/122594...t-25940-pm.png

Obadno May 12, 2022 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9623293)
Article about the proposed tower on NEC Central and Fillmore.

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/122594...t-25940-pm.png

I dont know if I love or hate these thick boi projects.

somethingfast May 12, 2022 3:59 PM

i like the big footprint buildings provided that the height is close to or above 300' which this one seems like it would meet. as long as big involves some reasonable height...i'm good. so thumbs up.

downtownphxguy12 May 12, 2022 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9623293)

why do they exaggerate the perspective in renderings the last couple years. it must be a thing. weird

MMDelon May 12, 2022 6:47 PM

The only thing I am curious about for this project is retail. A project this huge should have the opportunity for a good amount of retail, which this area needs. I’m still not a fan of the renderings. This looks nothing like LG Development Group past projects. It’s like someone in Phoenix asked LG to make it fit with Derby.

az_daniel May 12, 2022 8:27 PM

Is that perspective image from Central looking SE? Hard to tell.

Obadno May 12, 2022 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by az_daniel (Post 9623669)
Is that perspective image from Central looking SE? Hard to tell.

I think its central and Filmore looking NE

ASU Diablo May 12, 2022 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9623775)
I think its central and Filmore looking NE

I don't think so. The article stated the development was going to have a large open public space at the SE portion of the lot. I think the rendering is showing the northern portion of the development.

So...maybe looking south from Pierce St? We need more renderings...