SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

biggus diggus Mar 13, 2019 4:58 PM

There will always be people in this world who will dislike anything put in front of them. You could find someone who would have an issue with a basket of golden retriever puppies underneath a rainbow on a sunny day with some puffy clouds.

In one ear out the other with that kind of complaining in the article.

Obadno Mar 13, 2019 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8504300)
There will always be people in this world who will dislike anything put in front of them. You could find someone who would have an issue with a basket of golden retriever puppies underneath a rainbow on a sunny day with some puffy clouds.

In one ear out the other with that kind of complaining in the article.

WOW??? Nice to know you support dog enslavement!!! THIS BOARD IS FOR MONSTERS

Obadno Mar 13, 2019 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8504089)
Apparently, not everyone is thrilled with Meow Wolf...

Source: https://hyperallergic.com/486886/why...-is-worrisome/

What is Meow Wolf doing for "Culture as a whole" How F***ing obnoxious can somebody be.

What is the author doing for culture as whole??? This sort of sanctimonious artsy nonsense drives me insane. I hate people like this author.

gymratmanaz Mar 13, 2019 5:45 PM

Now I want a basket of puppies. Thanks Biggus! :)

muertecaza Mar 13, 2019 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8504315)
What is Meow Wolf doing for "Culture as a whole" How F***ing obnoxious can somebody be.

What is the author doing for culture as whole??? This sort of sanctimonious artsy nonsense drives me insane. I hate people like this author.

I think we've probably already given the article more attention than it's due, but it definitely has some of my biggest pet peeves:

1. Complaining about something that is "worrisome;" if the strongest adjective you can muster is "worrisome," I don't know why I'm even reading about it.

2. Vague insinuations of racism (a very serious charge) without really owning it.

3. Second-guessing someone's unknowable intentions with no basis.

4. Rank speculation about future consequences of an as yet uncertain development, again, with no real basis or explanation as to why the feared hypothetical consequences would follow from the feared hypothetical development.

5. Reliance on shorthand bogeymen ("corporations" etc.), again, without any real explanation of what they are trying to say and the basis for that belief.

CrestedSaguaro Mar 13, 2019 8:57 PM

For those wanting to watch the 200 W. Monroe project. The City of Phoenix has the perfect cam already set up. Looks like most of the area has been demo'd save a small section of building. Hoping to see construction soon! :cheers:

https://video.nest.com/live/TbinOWG9t0

ASUSunDevil Mar 13, 2019 10:29 PM

^ Great find, Ronnie!

Being a few blocks west of Central will create excellent views. The Executive Towers gets the same effect from the N end of the skyline. :tup:

Obadno Mar 13, 2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8504670)
For those wanting to watch the 200 W. Monroe project. The City of Phoenix has the perfect cam already set up. Looks like most of the area has been demo'd save a small section of building. Hoping to see construction soon! :cheers:

https://video.nest.com/live/TbinOWG9t0

This will also give you a good view of Aspirant

Classical in Phoenix Mar 14, 2019 1:43 PM

I was at Park Central this morning and they have the Southeast portion of the parking lot, where Creighton is going, taped off. It looked like they were doing asphalt work.

CrestedSaguaro Mar 14, 2019 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix (Post 8505378)
I was at Park Central this morning and they have the Southeast portion of the parking lot, where Creighton is going, taped off. It looked like they were doing asphalt work.

Unfortunately, that's all it looks like it is. Pothole filling and crack patching. Kind of makes you wonder why they are going to spend the money to do this when Creighton is supposed to be breaking ground later this year? People love to waste money...

HX_Guy Mar 14, 2019 5:28 PM

This is the 200 W Monroe project? Thing is MASSIVE!

http://nitnelav.com/X1.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/X2.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/X3.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/X4.jpg

Quote:

Chicago developer makes Phoenix debut with proposed downtown apartments
By Angela Gonzales – Senior Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
38 minutes ago
A Chicago-based developer of trendy apartment communities is planning a $100 million project on a full city block in downtown Phoenix.

The 2-acre site — bounded by Second and Third avenues and Van Buren and Monroe streets — is within walking distance of several music and entertainment venues, such as Comerica Theatre and Crescent Ballroom.

"Five to six nights a week you have 3,000 to 10,000 people hanging out in and around this area," said Noah Gottlieb, CEO of Chicago-based X Social Communities. "We think with our project, we can sort of re-center what people think of as the activity and nightlife of downtown Phoenix."

Construction should begin within the next few months, he said.

Dubbed X Phoenix, the 616-bed project is scheduled to open in fall 2021, according to the company's website. It's the developer's first project in the Valley.

While the project will include traditional apartment units, a portion will include a "rent by bedroom" program, where tenants are only responsible for their share of rents and utilities.

"Co-living space is finally landing here in Phoenix, and it seems the target is downtown Phoenix," said Thomas Brophy, research director for Colliers International's Arizona market.

The idea of renting co-living space, follows along the same path as coworking spaces or using ridehailing and ridesharing services, which provide flexibility without being tethered to a house, office or car, he said.

While 40 percent of the market are renters and 60 percent are homeowners, the percentage of renters is expected to increase as more people put off homeownership because of college debt and an inability to afford a down payment on a home, Brophy said.

There was a time when people bought homes in their mid-20s, but now are waiting until their mid-30s, he said, adding 10 more years of rental living.

"We've got some players betting on single-family homes built for rent," Brophy said. "The question is, can developers coming out with different types of products convince you to stay longer?"

Company has projects in several cities

The company has several projects under development across the country, with communities already open in Miami and Chicago, while others are set to open in downtown Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Orlando in Florida; along with Oakland, California; and Denver over the next couple of years.

Don Arones, managing director of Cushman & Wakefield, who represented the seller of the 2-acre property, said the project will be at least 22 stories, with a large parking facility and retail on the ground floor.

Gottlieb said the high-rise structure will include a parking podium 30 feet off the ground, with an indoor and outdoor amphitheater experience.

"We think the growth opportunities in downtown Phoenix present a unique opportunity for our brand and product to succeed long term and become a part of the long-term success story of the continued revitalization of downtown," Gottlieb said.

This new development comes at a time when several developers are moving forward with plans to build apartments nearby, including Toll Brothers Inc. (NYSE: TOL) which is investing $62 million to build 243 units at the northwest corner of Fifth Avenue and Van Buren Street and High Street Residential, which plans to invest $140 million for a 342-unit apartment complex that will include 7,000 square feet of ground-floor retail and restaurant space at the southwest corner of Fourth Avenue and Fillmore Street.

A block from that project — at Third Avenue and Fillmore Street — is a 312-unit, 19-story apartment tower being planned by Aspirant Development LLC.

Meanwhile, a few blocks south of these projects is a proposed 200-unit, 30-story condominium project to be built by Scottsdale-based Sunbelt Holdings Inc., in addition to several other downtown apartments in the works.

Brophy said he's not too concerned about a danger of overbuilding downtown, considering that pre-leasing absorption rates in downtown Phoenix continue to outpace the average rates in metro Phoenix.

"Downtown has been as robust as we've ever seen it," he said.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...t4OXQifQ%3D%3D

Obadno Mar 14, 2019 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 8505724)

Just came to post!

Finally some info on the 200 W Monroe...ahem X apartments

Terrible name but W/e

biggus diggus Mar 14, 2019 5:34 PM

I think that design will be altered extensively. That hole in the middle with all the windows looking at each other is necessary in a big city with no land available but in Phoenix they'll work another option.

Obadno Mar 14, 2019 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8505738)
I think that design will be altered extensively. That hole in the middle with all the windows looking at each other is necessary in a big city with no land available but in Phoenix they'll work another option.

The og plan was to only build one half and the other tower later, but this is the most upd to date rendering weve seen and construction is begining in a month.

I think this might be the final design. Weather the whole thing gets built though..:shrug:

EDIT: Also, I like they pointed out the Music Venues, Orpheum, Crescent, Van Buren, CoAmerica, Valleybar isnt to far away. The Abbey when completed will have small music venues too.

Looks lik W. Van Buren is becoming our Music/Theator district.

Obadno Mar 14, 2019 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8505697)
Unfortunately, that's all it looks like it is. Pothole filling and crack patching. Kind of makes you wonder why they are going to spend the money to do this when Creighton is supposed to be breaking ground later this year? People love to waste money...

They pulled out all the trees and stuff, its probabaly some kind of sftey reg/insurance thing that the need to fill in the damage done even though they are pulling out the parking lot within a year. Public saftey and the like.

muertecaza Mar 14, 2019 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 8505724)
This is the 200 W Monroe project? Thing is MASSIVE!

Nice. The "rent by bedroom" modern-boarding-house thing is interesting. I hope it works well.

Phxguy Mar 14, 2019 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8505739)
The og plan was to only build one half and the other tower later, but this is the most upd to date rendering weve seen and construction is begining in a month.

I think this might be the final design. Weather the whole thing gets built though..:shrug:

EDIT: Also, I like they pointed out the Music Venues, Orpheum, Crescent, Van Buren, CoAmerica, Valleybar isnt to far away. The Abbey when completed will have small music venues too.

I was thinking along the same lines, this area of downtown is fast becoming a theater and music district.

Just an idea, what if this project even included something like an Alamo Drafthouse or Flix Brewery into the mix? I think the retail footprint is supposed to be 2 floors in some spots of this project, so they could pack in a few first-run screens and dining.

PHXFlyer11 Mar 14, 2019 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8505739)

Looks awesome. I don't see a mention of how many stories? Looks about 17-19?

DesertRay Mar 14, 2019 7:48 PM

22, I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 8505919)
Looks awesome. I don't see a mention of how many stories? Looks about 17-19?

Doesn't it say 22 stories?

HX_Guy Mar 14, 2019 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRay (Post 8505949)
Doesn't it say 22 stories?

Yup, says at least 22 stories.