SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

one_brick_at_a_time Jul 11, 2021 9:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin (Post 9337143)
Gud Eats and Hobo Donuts both opened and closed during the pandemic. It sucks that they’re gone, but they weren’t there when people left their offices. They were both great additions to downtown. Hobo was regularly sold out (closed for personal reasons) and Gud Eats had terrible timing opening a month into a pandemic with seating restrictions and a lot fewer customers downtown. They were busy, but delivery services took a huge chunk of their profits. I’d like to see them try again, but I don’t know that that will ever happen. That Japanese place I don’t know much about, but Dojo Ramen will hopefully be open there soon. Boards N Beans is another place that did well pre-pandemic, but restrictions put a huge damper on their business model.

So it sounds like 2…possible 3 food establishments closed downtown during the pandemic. Sounds like Regina downtown survived pretty well considering.

On the positive:

Dojo Ramen on Hamilton Street (Fall 2021?)
The Shoppe on Scarth Street (Open)
Smoke’s Poutinerie on Scarth Street (Open)

Anything else?

McBean Jul 11, 2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9337240)
So it sounds like 2…possible 3 food establishments closed downtown during the pandemic. Sounds like Regina downtown survived pretty well considering.

On the positive:

Dojo Ramen on Hamilton Street (Fall 2021?)
The Shoppe on Scarth Street (Open)
Smoke’s Poutinerie on Scarth Street (Open)

Anything else?

Terrific to hear. So the mass majority of restaurant owners in downtown Regina are swimming in success and cash. Nice to know.

one_brick_at_a_time Jul 11, 2021 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBean (Post 9337285)
Terrific to hear. So the mass majority of restaurant owners in downtown Regina are swimming in success and cash. Nice to know.

Lol.

subterranean Jul 12, 2021 12:35 AM

Hello there! My dad’s family, way back, is originally from Winnipeg. In a couple weeks, I’m driving from Portland, OR to Manitoba to meet up with a relative. One of the overnight stops along the way will be Regina. Just wondering if anyone here would be willing to give me some recommendations on things to see and do for half a day?

BrutallyDishonest2 Jul 12, 2021 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 9337330)
Hello there! My dad’s family, way back, is originally from Winnipeg. In a couple weeks, I’m driving from Portland, OR to Manitoba to meet up with a relative. One of the overnight stops along the way will be Regina. Just wondering if anyone here would be willing to give me some recommendations on things to see and do for half a day?

• Walk around Wascana Park
  • Eat at Avenue or Bar Willow
  • Visit RCMP Heritage Centre

Nathan Jul 12, 2021 3:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 9337337)
  • Walk around Wascana Park
  • Eat at Avenue or Bar Willow
  • Visit RCMP Heritage Centre

Other potential food options (and depending on the time of day)....
  • Breakfast pizza at Western Pizza (the downtown location does it, not sure about the others)
  • Italian Star Deli for a quick sandwich

watchedmofu Jul 12, 2021 5:06 AM

This is Regina there is not overly alot to do in this town.

djforsberg Jul 12, 2021 1:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watchedmofu (Post 9337466)
This is Regina there is not overly alot to do in this town.

There’s not much going on in your brain apparently as there’s no excuse for a comment like this except to be a troll.

PhotoJim Jul 12, 2021 2:45 PM

Every city has its Eeyore.

As for what to do in Regina, in addition to the things mentioned, try local pizza from Houston, Western, Trifon's or Juliana's. We have a unique local style that is delicious.

watchedmofu Jul 12, 2021 3:40 PM

Haha,wow so you feel the need to start being a rude lil p.o.s.? Just stating the simple fact that Regina does not have alot to see or do. Damn keyboard tough guys.

watchedmofu Jul 12, 2021 3:42 PM

Haha Eeyore,been called alot of things but never that. Private mesage if you wanna be rude,we will work something out between this Eeyore and you keyboard tough guys.

djforsberg Jul 12, 2021 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watchedmofu (Post 9337718)
Haha Eeyore,been called alot of things but never that. Private mesage if you wanna be rude,we will work something out between this Eeyore and you keyboard tough guys.

Oh, the irony. If you are down on Regina so much, why don't you do something about it instead of whining?

watchedmofu Jul 12, 2021 4:57 PM

Lmao well what is there to do in this town? Gee go hang out at a local watering hole here?

watchedmofu Jul 12, 2021 4:59 PM

He asked a simple question,what to see and do in this town. I simply stated its pretty mellow here.

djforsberg Jul 12, 2021 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watchedmofu (Post 9337811)
Lmao well what is there to do in this town? Gee go hang out at a local watering hole here?

Maybe scroll up and read several of the responses and perhaps give them a visit yourself? There are 230k+ people in this city and growing. Obviously there are things to do and if you don't see that, then perhaps consider it's your own personal problem that you have to deal with. And if your own interests don't match with what's available, then maybe take the initiative and start something?

watchedmofu Jul 12, 2021 6:33 PM

Football season starting,that is always a great time. Go check out a Ridders game.

Draftsman Jul 12, 2021 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 9337330)

Hello subterranean, please don't let some of the 'happy banter' scare you away. Reginans are typically friendly. Why don't you check out these sites to learn what things you might possibly want to see while staying in the city:

tourismregina.com

tourismsaskatchewan.com

As for a place to eat, I would suggest that you try a Regina-style pizza. My favourite pizza restaurant is Houston Pizza, which despite the name is a local pizzeria that created the Regina-style pizza many years ago (1970 according to their web site). They have five locations in Regina, and there's one on the east side of the city, on Quance Street, which is right off of Victoria Avenue (main east-west street) that becomes the Trans-Canada Highway that you will be taking to get to Winnipeg from here. Check out their webpage, at houstonpizza.ca Look at the photos of their thick pizzas, which are at least an inch high - and it's not because of the crust. They really pile on the toppings! Their pizza is famous here, and no, I don't work there or know anyone that does.

I hope you enjoy your brief stay in our city. Have a safe trip!

subterranean Jul 13, 2021 3:43 AM

Thank you all, I truly appreciate the recommendations. I don't want to stray too far off topic, but if there's anything you think is worth a quick stop along the trail from Calgary over to Regina, send me a PM. Thanks again.

PhotoJim Jul 13, 2021 2:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 9338426)
Thank you all, I truly appreciate the recommendations. I don't want to stray too far off topic, but if there's anything you think is worth a quick stop along the trail from Calgary over to Regina, send me a PM. Thanks again.

The Cypress Hills are beautiful, and less than an hour off the TCH.

McBean Jul 17, 2021 2:21 AM

Anyone have any reports of crowd sizes at Pubs in Regina/Saskatoon for this first weekend of no restrictions? Busy, slow, no change from pre pandemic?