SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

OhioGuy Jun 11, 2017 6:45 PM

Looks like Wilson is coming along nicely. With it being a future transfer station between the red and purple express, does the CTA intend on making any other stations between Wilson & Howard transfer stations as well? Perhaps Bryn Mawr and Loyola if there's room to do so at those stations? (although with Berwyn having more bus service, perhaps expansion of the station there is better than Bryn Mawr...)

ardecila Jun 11, 2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioGuy (Post 7831326)
Looks like Wilson is coming along nicely. With it being a future transfer station between the red and purple express, does the CTA intend on making any other stations between Wilson & Howard transfer stations as well? Perhaps Bryn Mawr and Loyola if there's room to do so at those stations? (although with Berwyn having more bus service, perhaps expansion of the station there is better than Bryn Mawr...)

None of the four stations in Phase I (Lawrence, Argyle, Berwyn, Bryn Mawr) will get express platforms. This Phase, as I understand it, is now out for bid along with the Belmont Flyover.

Loyola will probably be done as a standalone project in a future phase like Wilson or Howard, and may still get express platforms.

The only other station that might get express platforms is Sheridan, but nobody's really sure what alignment the tracks will take through that area or how much space will be available.

emathias Jun 11, 2017 10:35 PM

Why doesn't the CTA outfit all new platform roofs, at least in open areas, with solar panels? Even if they didn't quite pay for themselves, they'd be valuable marketing.

the urban politician Jun 12, 2017 2:30 PM

Is somebody going to buy that criminally approved strip mall across the street from this huge public investment or are we going to be forced to look at a cash exchange next to a parking lot for another generation?

denizen467 Jun 13, 2017 5:49 AM

^ I always love your rants, but calm down a minute. It was a blighted area for a long while. Now with rising property values, it'll surely get redeveloped before too long. And you didn't even mention the four-headed monster of Sonic and McD double-drivethrus on the next block over - don't you supposedly have an anti-cholesterol soapbox too?

sentinel Jun 13, 2017 1:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 7831454)
Why doesn't the CTA outfit all new platform roofs, at least in open areas, with solar panels? Even if they didn't quite pay for themselves, they'd be valuable marketing.

I'm not quite certain those are actual solar panels though....? I just thought it was a translucent material to allow light through, although I would love to see solar panels instead.

Can anyone confirm whether or not those are solar panels?

Mr Downtown Jun 13, 2017 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 7831913)
Is somebody going to buy that criminally approved strip mall across the street

Your broker can look up the owner of record if you'd like to make an offer.

the urban politician Jun 13, 2017 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 7832870)
^ I always love your rants, but calm down a minute. It was a blighted area for a long while. Now with rising property values, it'll surely get redeveloped before too long. And you didn't even mention the four-headed monster of Sonic and McD double-drivethrus on the next block over - don't you supposedly have an anti-cholesterol soapbox too?

Anti cholesterol soapbox? Sorry, that's somebody else for sure

the urban politician Jun 13, 2017 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 7833141)
Your broker can look up the owner of record if you'd like to make an offer.

Good idea.

emathias Jun 13, 2017 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 7833040)
I'm not quite certain those are actual solar panels though....? I just thought it was a translucent material to allow light through, although I would love to see solar panels instead.

Can anyone confirm whether or not those are solar panels?

They're not solar panels. I was just pointing out that since they bear a passing resemblance to solar panels that it might be nice if they actually *were* solar panels. :)

sentinel Jun 13, 2017 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 7833310)
They're not solar panels. I was just pointing out that since they bear a passing resemblance to solar panels that it might be nice if they actually *were* solar panels. :)

Ahh, my bad, misinterpreted your comment. Totally agree that this seems like a missed opportunity for that, sadly :(

Also (edit), is that crane in the background center for the Montrose & Clarendon highrise?

denizen467 Jun 14, 2017 8:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 7833204)
Anti cholesterol soapbox? Sorry, that's somebody else for sure

I was extrapolating from a rough memory you were a doctor, and therefore were presumably anti junk food. (I only said "supposedly." Probably should even have said "theoretically.") Although you might be an eye or foot doctor, and not give a hoot. Or not a doctor, in which case, have a quart of gin and forget about that suburban strip mall.

sentinel Jun 14, 2017 12:58 PM

All, please stay on topic.

denizen467 Jun 15, 2017 7:03 AM

^ Back on the reservation ...
Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7831446)
None of the four stations in Phase I (Lawrence, Argyle, Berwyn, Bryn Mawr) will get express platforms. This Phase, as I understand it, is now out for bid along with the Belmont Flyover.

In between the giant diagonal Broadway viaduct now being completed and the upcoming Lawrence-to-Bryn Mawr reconstruction, will there be a short section of track structure that ends up omitted from the rebuilding efforts? After all, otherwise they would be billing it as a Wilson-to-Bryn Mawr reconstruction.

emathias Jun 15, 2017 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 7835341)
^ Back on the reservation ...

In between the giant diagonal Broadway viaduct now being completed and the upcoming Lawrence-to-Bryn Mawr reconstruction, will there be a short section of track structure that ends up omitted from the rebuilding efforts? After all, otherwise they would be billing it as a Wilson-to-Bryn Mawr reconstruction.

This description mentions that the first phase reconstructs the four stations, and track and support structures from Leland Ave to Ardmore Ave. Leland is the EW street immediately north of where the tracks cross Broadway. Ardmore is 2 blocks north of Bryn Mawr.

Kenmore Jun 15, 2017 3:22 PM

pleasantly surprised this project is managing to go ahead, going to be a huge quality of life boost for local residents

denizen467 Jun 16, 2017 8:57 AM

^^ Thanks. Going as far north as Ardmore is yuuuge, because that will include Hollywood, so that commuting artery will lose the cramped, decaying viaduct straddling it - one that currently is being held up by toothpicks (as Google Street View attests).

ardecila Jun 18, 2017 8:00 PM

^ Also, the new Bryn Mawr station will include an entrance at Hollywood, and will force the redevelopment of Northside Toyota's properties at Hollywood/Broadway, ideally with widened sidewalks. That whole auto sewer will be spruced up.

I thought the new Berwyn was supposed to include a new entrance at Foster, and a rename for the station itself, but it seems that's been dropped.

denizen467 Jun 18, 2017 8:32 PM

^ Avoid confusion with Evanston's Foster?

I think avoiding duplication within a single system, even across multiple adjoining systems, is a wise goal. (Except if they are going to hire Norman Foster, then they can go ahead and name all the damn stations Foster.)

Mr Downtown Jun 19, 2017 4:08 AM

^On a network with five "Westerns," that ship might have sailed.

CTA does seem to be adding cross streets to station names nowadays. I think the new Loop station will be shown as Washington/Wabash, for instance. (It should be Washington & Wabash; the virgule typically indicates an alternative rather than additional information.)

denizen467 Jun 20, 2017 5:22 AM

^ If a ship has sailed, then remember that all ships have finite lifespans. It's time for some new ships -- bearing ampersands and duplication proscriptions.

K 22 Jun 20, 2017 9:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 7839866)
^ If a ship has sailed, then remember that all ships have finite lifespans. It's time for some new ships -- bearing ampersands and duplication proscriptions.

Well, when you go to Clark/Lake, for example, the automated train announcer guy does outright say "Clark and Lake".

denizen467 Jun 24, 2017 9:18 PM

^ Everyone's realizing it's just a vacant virgule.

emathias Jun 26, 2017 9:37 PM

Elon Musk Eyes O'Hare to Loop Fast Rail Link

Quote:

CHICAGO - Is the man who created Tesla and SpaceX the answer to Chicago's decades-old desire to open a high-speed rail line between the Loop and O'Hare International Airport?

In a step that some will consider outlandish and others bold, Mayor Rahm Emanuel's administration has opened talks with Elon Musk, the West Coast entrepreneur who has built electric-car-producing Tesla into a company with a larger market capitalization than Ford and SpaceX into a company that could take over satellite-launching duties from NASA.

Emanuel knows Musk from his White House days, and according to Emanuel's office, when Musk heard of the mayor's continuing desire to speed traffic between the Loop and the airport to raise the city's business profile, he pitched his latest venture: a high-tech drilling firm named—the man has a sense of humor—the Boring Company.
From Crain's

Busy Bee Jun 27, 2017 12:36 AM

Oh here we go...

Kngkyle Jun 27, 2017 12:52 AM

If anyone can make it happen... it's Elon Musk.

Video Link

ardecila Jun 27, 2017 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 7846579)

Just because he can "make it happen" doesn't make it the right thing to do.

If Musk can privately fund the project in a way that doesn't leave taxpayers on the hook in case of failure, then I'm all for this project. Bureaucratically, the city should do everything to slash the red tape and let this thing go. I'm all for exploring the idea and soliciting a proposal.

However, if Musk is expecting taxpayers to chip in, then I'm flat out against this project no matter how sexy it may seem. Even with Musk's supposed cost savings, this project will still cost hundreds of millions or (easily) billions. Chicago and the surrounding region has many more important transit projects to invest in than a foolhardy airport whiz train, especially when we already have a train line that goes to each airport. As MHSRA and others have pointed out, there is a way to build an airport express that could benefit everyone and not just wealthy air travelers, but that requires major taxpayer investment and a solution to Metra's endless turf battles within RTA.

Kngkyle Jun 27, 2017 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7846590)
Just because he can "make it happen" doesn't make it the right thing to do.

If Musk can privately fund the project in a way that doesn't leave taxpayers on the hook in case of failure, then I'm all for this project. Bureaucratically, the city should do everything to slash the red tape and let this thing go. I'm all for exploring the idea and soliciting a proposal.

However, if Musk is expecting taxpayers to chip in, then I'm flat out against this project no matter how sexy it may seem. Even with Musk's supposed cost savings, this project will still cost hundreds of millions or (easily) billions. Chicago and the surrounding region has many more important transit projects to invest in than a foolhardy airport whiz train, especially when we already have a train line that goes to each airport. As MHSRA and others have pointed out, there is a way to build an airport express that could benefit everyone and not just wealthy air travelers, but that requires major taxpayer investment and a solution to Metra's endless turf battles within RTA.

I completely agree, and have aired my preference for improved blue line service here multiple times. However.. we already know that in order to beat the blue line's door-to-door times it would require a huge sum of money to accomplish using any existing conventional rail methods. If Musk can deliver on his projected cost savings and create a fully automated system and do so at-cost, as a demonstration project, then I think there may be potential to attract private capital. The city already spent a ton on the unused Block 37 superstation that could be used for this.

LouisVanDerWright Jun 28, 2017 2:46 PM

Very excited to hear about potential Musk involvement. Even if the government is footing some or all of the bill. If Musk can actually deliver on 90% cost and time reductions for tunneling with 125 MPH speeds, then this type of line makes sense. Then you are no longer talking about 15-20 min, you are talking about 10 minutes or less to go the 10 miles from downtown to O'Hare. THAT would be a game changer. I would totally pay $30 bucks for that if I lived in the loop.

More excitingly, this could be a game changer for transit in Chicago in general. If you think about it Chicago is the perfect testing ground for tunneling advancement. We don't have shallow bedrock so you aren't grinding through rock. We have nicely packed hardpan clay which is easy to slice away and firm enough that the risk of collapse while tunneling is relatively low. The problem has been that the equipment and labor for such work is so damn high. If Musk can give that a major haircut, we might actually be able to talk about multiple tunnels for transit lines.

Chicago obviously has a very long history of tunneling, it's fairly easy to do here when you have cheap labor and no OSHA. The tunnel company, the cribs, etc were all dug by hand. We have a long history of transit innovation, long history of tunneling, and the right geological conditions (including lack of earthquakes which Musk's home state does not enjoy). Would be amazing to leverage such a building opportunity into becoming the proving ground for Musk's experiments and maybe, some day, the next transit hub of a continental "hyperloop" network.

denizen467 Jun 30, 2017 8:47 AM

I've said it before, but I don't think speed is that important. Among other reasons, a bazillion-dollar high speed train might end up with worse frequency -- totally negating the point of a pneumatic human tunnel or whatever is proposed. Frequency of, say, 6 (inexpensive) hourly runs along Metra tracks could be better than 2 (pricey) hourly runs in a Lamborghinitube. The psychology is obvious that having to wait 29 minutes for the next train, after missing one due to traffic on the way to the station, will encourage people in many situations to ignore the train and just continue by road all the way to the airport. In addition, it's not trivial that heavy acceleration, deceleration, and curves at high speed, are all pain points to passengers, especially standing passengers, or especially if they have lots of luggage or little kids.

What's more important is timetable reliability, safety, and comfort/cleanliness. A dedicated trainset or carriages running on the Blue Line would address the latter two. The random breakdowns and stoppages that spontaneously plague the subway lines are a different matter though. Are those usually trainset issues or track/signaling issues? Some of them I know are police activity. I wonder if the O'Hare branch could be isolated from the system and maybe a couple triple-track segments could let express trains somehow bypass the odd problems. This isn't an Elon Musk problem, a mere Richard Branson -- i.e. an operations and customer service guy, not some mercurial inventor -- would do.

UPChicago Jun 30, 2017 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 7846579)

Video Link

I would hate to be the train conductor :uhh:

Mr Downtown Jun 30, 2017 5:15 PM

Why would a train like that even have a conductor? The trips would be too short to audit tickets and the station announcements could be automated.

OhioGuy Jul 3, 2017 5:46 PM

https://nytimes.com/2017/07/03/opini...s-transit.html

By RAHM EMANUEL
JULY 3, 2017

Quote:

CHICAGO — On Thursday, in the wake of a subway derailment and an epidemic of train delays, Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York declared a state of emergency for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the busiest mass transit system in America. That same day, the nation’s third-busiest system — the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority — handed out coupons for free coffee to riders stuck in the second year of slowdowns caused by repairs to prevent chronic fires.

Meanwhile, in Chicago, a recent survey found that 85 percent of passengers are satisfied with service on our transit system, the nation’s second most used.

The L, Chicago’s system, turned 125 this year. The elevated railway began as four wooden cars powered by coal and steam. Last year, more than 238 million rides were taken on the system, which, unlike the ones in New York and Washington, has not been troubled by systemic failures, breakdowns and delays. Even during a 28-day stretch of arctic temperatures in 2014, the L was never interrupted.

How have we done it? First, we put reliability ahead of expansion. We focused relentlessly on modernizing tracks, signals, switches, stations and cars before extending lines to new destinations. Unlike New York, which has spent billions to reach Hudson Yards, or Washington, which has concentrated on trying to reach Dulles Airport (both laudable projects), Chicago has improved the existing system.

nomarandlee Jul 3, 2017 6:10 PM

I don't know why he would try to highlight Chicagos transit system and tarnish NYC's in a New York paper. What am I missing here? It isn't hard to find holes in Chicago's system and virtues in NYC's. Why even go there.

Not to mention it is a flat out lie when he says that Chicago is not concerned with expanding our system. I wish that was largely true. I must have missed the memo where he said he is not intent on the south side Red Line expansion.

OhioGuy Jul 3, 2017 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 7853476)
I don't know why he would try to highlight Chicagos transit system and tarnish NYC's in a New York paper. What am I missing here? It isn't hard to find holes in Chicago's system and virtues in NYC's. Why even go there.

Not to mention it is a flat out lie when he says that Chicago is not concerned with expanding our system. I wish that was largely true. I must have missed the memo where he said he is not intent on the south side Red Line expansion.

It's been put on the back burner for years & years and instead money has been poured into updating the system.

marothisu Jul 3, 2017 6:47 PM

As someone who now lives in NYC and before that was traveling to NYC and using the train system almost everyday for over 2 years before that, Rahm actually has a point. The MTA's on time performance is terrible compared to Chicago's.

My train to and from work is literally delayed every single day. I'm not talking about a few minutes either. I'm talking about a minimum of 10 minutes. I have waited more than a handful of times at the stop closest to my work, sometimes with a delay of 30 minutes. Meanwhile, one of the lines that shares the track with my line comes every 3-5 minutes and is seemingly on time. I've experienced this with other lines too - there are many that are really terrible like this. Some are OK though and on time pretty well. The people who complain about the CTA should really use the MTA, especially in Manhattan, and see what a handful of lines have to put up with everyday. There are some train lines here nicknamed "Ghost train" because it seemingly never comes as the delays are terrible. The funny thing is that when you read online, you find mostly just cynical or supportive people depending on the city. My co-workers in NY have talked about this a bunch of times and it's pretty much a consensus about how terrible the MTA and train system is with performance.

The MTA is way bigger than the CTA, so it's all easier said than done, but I also don't think it's an excuse. It shows how poorly planned the MTA might have been. When I was in China, I rode the Beijing and Shanghai Metro systems. Shanghai's daily ridership is nearly 2X higher than that of NYC's train system with the yearly ridership at about 2X higher. Beijing is around the same. NYC has more lines than both of these, but both still have a lot. The thing is that these transit systems are almost always on time. After NYC, these systems have the 2nd and 3rd highest number of stations of any system in the world and still much bigger than the CTA train system. They really pride themselves about being on time.

I think it all goes back to how funds are being used, planning, budget, etc. Again this is easier said than done, but I feel as if everytime I'm waiting to go home at my stop and the other line that uses the track has about 6 trains go by while my train is delayed 20 minutes - there's something terribly wrong. It's an everyday thing - not a once in a blue moon problem. People on my team are constantly late in the mornings because of how unreliable the train system here has become. The thing is that the train system in NYC is great for physical coverage in places like Manhattan, but when you are waiting for a train to take you a mile or two and it doesn't come for 30 minutes, it's easier to just walk and skip the train all together. Or just catch a cab.

Kngkyle Jul 3, 2017 7:46 PM

I'm also now living in New York from Chicago and the subways are indeed awful here. The delays, the heat, the smells. It is absolutely worse than the CTA. Outside of rush-hour times the amount of lines and stations that are closed for xyz reasons makes the whole system incredibly unreliable and useless. I default to taking an uber now because I've gotten stranded too many times. I made sure to get an apartment within walking distance of work so I didn't have to deal with it.

the urban politician Jul 3, 2017 7:52 PM

I rode the subway every day. It was often late, but it did the job.

The MTA workers couldn't care less and were often rude.

But I still loved it. The NYC subway riding experience is a unique thing in America. I often cursed at it for making me late, but damn I miss it.

emathias Jul 3, 2017 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 7853476)

You obviously haven't been reading the NYTimes recently. They have run article after article about how terrible riding the subway has become. Rahm treats it outright gently compared to some of the Times' own reporting on the subject.

The purpose of the article is to highlight some of the good that has come from Federal dollars being injected into Chicago's transit agency. He's pointing out that those dollars were largely successful at doing what they were sent to Chicago to do - get the system working reliably and keep the system in good repair. And, really, they have done that. He's pointing that out because he's advocating for even more Federal dollars to be spent on improving existing systems as well as expanding them. To that end, part of the reason he points out the problems in New York is to illustrate the difficulties that can come from only having access to local or state dollars.

He also did not say that Chicago isn't concerned with expanding the system, he just said that Chicago has been more concerned with getting the existing system into good repair before pursuing any significant expansion. Which is a good thing.

Other than adding a few stations, Chicago hasn't expanded the system since 1984 when the northwest branch of what is now the Blue Line was pushed out to O'Hare. There has been talk of other expansions since then, but it has consistently been tabled in favor of getting and keeping the existing system in good repair. We're probably less than a decade away of all the major maintenance projects completed. At that point the CTA can start seriously looking into expanding things. Whether that's the Red Line extension to 130th, or an Orange or Yellow extension, or a whole new subway under Clinton or to create the Circle Line, or acting on those recommendations put out last year by Ed Zotti and that civic group advocating for additional Central Area lines to tie the area together, there will be plenty of worthy candidates for consideration.

Excess discussion of possible new lines/routings:

marothisu Jul 3, 2017 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 7853572)
I'm also now living in New York from Chicago and the subways are indeed awful here. The delays, the heat, the smells. It is absolutely worse than the CTA. Outside of rush-hour times the amount of lines and stations that are closed for xyz reasons makes the whole system incredibly unreliable and useless. I default to taking an uber now because I've gotten stranded too many times. I made sure to get an apartment within walking distance of work so I didn't have to deal with it.

Yeah some of my born and raised NY friends here have talked about that, and how bad it's been most of the time. Sometimes when get together on weekends, they just take an uber somewhere because of the closures, construction, and not just even running.

Also about the MTA running 24/7 - sure, it does technically but there's some lines that don't. My girlfriend lives in Queens near an R stop which actually stops running from 11pm - 5:30am everyday for all of Queens and all but one Manhattan stop. The M line is another one that basically does those same operating hours. I have a B stop somewhat near me which only runs on weekdays but stops running at 11pm. There are other lines where some stops aren't 24/7 and instead you have other trains stopping there instead. However, depending on where you want to go it might not be of any use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 7853577)
I rode the subway every day. It was often late, but it did the job.

The MTA workers couldn't care less and were often rude.

But I still loved it. The NYC subway riding experience is a unique thing in America. I often cursed at it for making me late, but damn I miss it.

It's gotten a lot worse every year in the last handful of years. It used to be better.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/12/n...ming.html?_r=0

The one difference I notice between riding the NY subway and Chicago subway is that during overcrowded situations, the people on the CTA actually get off the train in a hurry so the people who need to get off at that stop can get off easier. Then everyone comes back on. In NY that doesn't happen. You have assholes blocking the doors sometimes for half of the entire thing and when it's really crowded, people rarely actually get off. They do the annoying thing that baseball fans riding to Wrigley Field do and just kind of spin around in circles as people try and get off. Nobody ever calls them out on it, so there's basically only one half of a door to get in and out. I actually feel as if the riders in Chicago are smarter about stuff like this. The first month I started riding the NY subways regularly for work, about 3 years ago, this is the one thing that shocked me and would not be at all surprised if it's one thing that's contributing to the delays.

tjp Jul 4, 2017 10:23 PM

Rahm said in that editorial that Chicago's economy has grown faster than the national average the past 5 years ... by what measure? City-proper GDP?

10023 Jul 4, 2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjp (Post 7854615)
Rahm said in that editorial that Chicago's economy has grown faster than the national average the past 5 years ... by what measure? City-proper GDP?

Must be. He wouldn't be talking about metropolitan area statistics.

Mister Uptempo Jul 12, 2017 6:38 AM

Curbed - Petition to Restore Green Line to Jackson Park

From Curbed-

Quote:

Online petition calls on the CTA to restore the 63rd Street branch of the Green Line

Greater transit connectivity to Jackson Park’s upcoming Obama Library is needed, argues the petition’s author
by Jay Koziarz Jul 11, 2017, 1:36pm CDT

With the Obama Presidential Center and companion projects such as the new Tiger Woods golf course headed to Chicago’s Jackson Park, calls to bring better public transit to the South Side are growing louder and more persistent. Claiming that existing CTA bus service and the Metra electric line are insufficient to meet the expected demand, a newly-launched online petition is making the case to rebuild the 63rd Street branch of Green Line ‘L’ tracks.
Quote:

If the CTA ever considered restoring the tracks, “there has never been a better time,” argues the petition’s author Reuben Lillie. Once a satisfactory number of signatures are collected, Lillie plans to deliver the following recommendations to Chicago Mayor Rahm Emmanuel and 16 other key decision-makers:

A joint planning committee be formed, comprised of an equal number of elected or appointed government officials and specially elected or appointed local representatives from Hyde Park, South Shore, Washington Park, and Woodlawn plus one representative each on behalf of the Obama Foundation and the University of Chicago.

- As much as possible, the original materials currently stored at the 61st Street Yard be salvaged and used in construction.

- Two-way boarding be re-established at King.

- At least two new, strategically located stations be installed between Cottage Grove and Stony Island, as was the case with stops originally at Lexington (now University) and Madison (now Dorchester).

- An additional study be conducted toward reinstating either or both the 58th and 61st stations or otherwise strategically located stops between Garfield and Cottage Grove.

- Designs for all new and renovated stations celebrate their locations and are accessible to persons with disabilities.

- Designs for the new Stony Island terminus and the new bridge over the Illinois Central Railroad right of way be harmonized with and incorporated into the plans for the Obama Presidential Center.

- In lieu of tax dollars, as much of the needed funding as possible come from other sources including but not limited to the Obama Foundation and other public–private partnerships.
A link to the petition is here.

LouisVanDerWright Jul 12, 2017 1:49 PM

^^^ Honestly though, fuck the red line extension. Just put the Green line back the way it was supposed to be, it would serve far more people over a much shorter route as well as having the added benefit of connecting the Obama Library and serving U of C.

Mr Downtown Jul 12, 2017 3:34 PM

^I can't imagine a Green Line restored to Stony Island would attract more than 100 new riders a day.

ardecila Jul 12, 2017 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 7862955)
^I can't imagine a Green Line restored to Stony Island would attract more than 100 new riders a day.

The most successful presidential libraries (Reagan, Kennedy, Clinton) attract about 1000 visitors on the average day. That plus the ~4000 daily visitors at MSI gives you 5000 daily museum goers in Jackson Park.

Many of these visitors will be suburbanites in minivans or school groups in buses, but even if only 10% of visitors take public transit, that's 500 potential riders who would probably prefer a rail ride from downtown over a bus, no matter how express.

I still don't know if it's worth building 1 mile of new rail line for only 500 riders initially, but in the long-term I still think it's a good idea to bring rail to these major attractions and establish a Jefferson Park or Davis St-esque transfer from Metra to CTA. Woodlawn is already showing promising signs of redevelopment that would have been unthinkable 10 years ago, even as other South Side neighborhoods like Bronzeville, Washington Park and South Shore stagnate or decline. A new transit hub could really kick Woodlawn into high gear.

Mr Downtown Jul 12, 2017 8:49 PM

But a new terminus at 63rd & Stony Island leaves those MSI patrons a full mile from the museum entrance.

I can see the logic of a new transit hub at 55th & Woodlawn, or at 71st & Jeffery. But not in the middle of a big park where no one lives.

ardecila Jul 12, 2017 9:59 PM

More like 3/4 of a mile if, as expected, MSI re-opens their southern entrance on the lagoon.

Those are valid critiques, though. Maybe the tail of the Green Line could bend north using excess space in the IC right-of-way, and end at a terminus on the Midway? Then U of C would actually have an L stop on campus, and the station would be easy walking distance to both the Obama Library and MSI. It would add track length and some cost, but it should be relatively cheap to use the existing space on top of the viaduct.

You could also put a second station in the middle at 63rd/Woodlawn Ave for some TOD housing. Not much point to a station at Dorchester or Stony when 1/2rd of the land there is controlled by schools and churches and their attached parking lots/athletic fields.

emathias Jul 12, 2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7863474)
More like 3/4 of a mile if, as expected, MSI re-opens their southern entrance on the lagoon.

Those are valid critiques, though. Maybe the tail of the Green Line could bend north using excess space in the IC right-of-way, and end at a terminus on the Midway? Then U of C would actually have an L stop on campus, and the station would be easy walking distance to both the Obama Library and MSI. Could also put a second station in the middle at Woodlawn Ave.

Like this. I put it to 55th, because I think that'd be useful, but you could stop at 59th with a large station spanning the Midway and entrances on both sides.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4233/...8f7c748a_o.png
CTA_63rd
by me, on Flickr

i_am_hydrogen Jul 14, 2017 2:05 PM

Why East Woodlawn needs its El Back
http://southsideunited.org/why-east-...ds-its-l-back/