SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 851 FT & 765 FT | 73 & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

HomrQT Nov 3, 2015 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7208299)
I wish they could just build this. Maybe make a 1600-1700' version, carve an wide rectangular opening around the 1500' mark, add an observation deck with restaurant, make it mixed used, and call it the CWFC. Chicago World Finacial Center. :D

One of my favorite proposals in the country that didn't happen. :(

While I liked the spire, it wasn't anything special except for its height (IMO). Now this proposal, this was a bummer to not have.

Whatever rises, this location, with impeccable views, needs to be great and something that stands out on the national level. Yes, I'd like it to be a super tall that exceeds all. To wishful thinking :cheers:. Here Here... :cheers:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/f8c537caf...fqyo1_1280.jpg
Credit: http://themanonfive.com/page/125?rou...page%2F%3Apage

https://www.google.com/maps/vt/data=...jpBfFq1k-NfLGK

This in that location, and thats a wrap for the day.

Agree with all of this. :cheers:

munchymunch Nov 3, 2015 10:00 PM

I don't care how it looks, the one thing I know is that whatever it is... it will be unique. You may look at it once it's completed and say how ugly it looks. Well the one thing I know is that uniqueness... with time, will eventually go appreciated, and loved by Chicagoans.

Zapatan Nov 4, 2015 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munchymunch (Post 7221733)
I don't care how it looks, the one thing I know is that whatever it is... it will be unique. You may look at it once it's completed and say how ugly it looks. Well the one thing I know is that uniqueness... with time, will eventually go appreciated, and loved by Chicagoans.

Yea... 2WTC has grown on me a lot at least from a couple angles.

I hope BIG doesn't try to get too weird though, I do appreciate simplicity and looking like a normal building. Height could always help.. maybe I'm being unrealistic but I'd be disappointed if it ends up shorter than 400. :haha:

untitledreality Nov 5, 2015 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munchymunch (Post 7221733)
You may look at it once it's completed and say how ugly it looks. Well the one thing I know is that uniqueness... with time, will eventually go appreciated, and loved by Chicagoans.

Just like Prentice right?

...or maybe the Thompson Center?

munchymunch Nov 5, 2015 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untitledreality (Post 7223598)
Just like Prentice right?

...or maybe the Thompson Center?

Thompson Center is not functional, sad it could not stay longer. Prentice was difficult to see go, and it many tried to save it...

The North One Nov 14, 2015 8:53 PM

Hell no, I don't want one of BIG's shitty toy block towers.

go go white sox Nov 14, 2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 7221730)
Agree with all of this. :cheers:

What a shame this never got build it's stunning! I had never seen this proposal before, what are the odds of this resurfacing as we are seeing proposals from before the recession starting to put back into recirculation. This would be perfect for the spire spot as indicated.

munchymunch Nov 14, 2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go go white sox (Post 7235653)
What a shame this never got build it's stunning! I had never seen this proposal before, what are the odds of this resurfacing as we are seeing proposals from before the recession starting to put back into recirculation. This would be perfect for the spire spot as indicated.

0% The site is where the Loews was built.

go go white sox Nov 15, 2015 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munchymunch (Post 7235659)
0% The site is where the Loews was built.

Not at that exact site but somewhere else who are the designers behind this proposal? Thanks

munchymunch Nov 15, 2015 3:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go go white sox (Post 7235873)
Not at that exact site but somewhere else who are the designers behind this proposal? Thanks

DeStefano, and Fordham was the developer.

Reinsdorf Sucks Feb 16, 2016 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 7223170)
I hope BIG doesn't try to get too weird though, I do appreciate simplicity and looking like a normal building.

There will be a competition with proposals from multiple firms.

Steely Dan Feb 16, 2016 4:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks (Post 7337188)

any insider info/clues on which firms may be involved in the process?

Kngkyle Feb 16, 2016 8:34 PM

Quote:

It would be interesting if they selected the top 3 proposals and put it up for a public vote. If they are going all-out height wise it would certainly get a lot of media attention like the Spire itself did. It would be especially appropriate for Chicago given the architectural history and enthusiasm that many residents have, at least in comparison to most other cities.

It would be a genius marketing ploy as well. Just require a validated email address to vote and then boom, you get a massive database of email addresses you can directly market the units to.

Zapatan Feb 16, 2016 8:54 PM

Quote:

I hope SHoP is one of them :)

If it does end up being BIG his supertalls in NY aren't *that* bad, and would be something new for Chicago.

maru2501 Feb 16, 2016 9:10 PM

I have written this off as a supertall

Notyrview Feb 16, 2016 9:53 PM

Yeah, it'll be a shitbox

rlw777 Feb 16, 2016 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 7337656)
I have written this off as a supertall

Why? Especially with a foundation already in the ground to support a supertall structure I would assume they have incentive to go for height.

marothisu Feb 16, 2016 11:29 PM

At this point, I'm more curious as to what they want more than who the architect is going to be. of course, that'll change once I find out what it'll be :)

ardecila Feb 16, 2016 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 7337717)
Yeah, it'll be a shitbox

Given the configuration of caissons, I highly doubt it will be a box. The foundation is designed for a round or septagon-shaped tower, and the architects will have to work around those constraints unless they want to pour some crazy system of giant grade beams to distribute the weight from a rectangular column grid.

The odd number of sides (7!) in Calatrava's design is actually a huge design challenge, because there's no easy or elegant way to transition that back to a 4-sided square or rectangular floorplate.

Ryanrule Feb 17, 2016 12:24 AM

Related would rather dig up the foundation than build something interesting.