SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | Tribune Tower Addition | 1,442 FT | 113 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231808)

The North One Jun 16, 2022 5:35 PM

Wow, stunt queens.

Zapatan Jun 16, 2022 5:35 PM

To add to the skepticism all of the other condo towers seem to be doing amazing.

MAC123 Jun 16, 2022 5:39 PM

^ I agree with that. Wait for official word. Afterall they already have approval.

JN12Franklin Jun 16, 2022 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9651701)
From everything we heard it was, there's something off about all of this.

This isn't a shot directly at JN12Franklin, and I don't know why he would lie about this but he is a new guy on the forum with few posts.

Yea, I mean you're certainly welcome to stay optimistic. And I can assure you I'm not making it up. Even though I don't post often I've been a long time reader (much longer than the existence of my account). I want to see this get built just as much as everyone else. Any real reporting on this would require multiple sources and I'm just a guy who heard something from a very reliable source but in a very unofficial capacity. Who knows, maybe things will change and Golub will backtrack and it'll get built after all? I agree it's wise to wait for something official. I just won't be holding my breath.

Steely Dan Jun 16, 2022 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pianowizard (Post 9651699)
I feel devastated.

"Devastated"?

I would suggest taking a step back if this actually makes you feel devastated.

"Devastated" is a doctor telling you that you have inoperable brain cancer or first learning that a loved on has been killed in a car wreck.

This is just merely another in a LONG line of Chicago supertall proposals that might never get off the drawing board. As much as all of us scraper-nerds might've loved to see this one rise, it's hardly something to get "devastated" about.

Keep things in perspective.

Busy Bee Jun 16, 2022 6:06 PM

I don't know...when The Phantom Menace came out I left feeling devastated. I'd put this on par with that.

twister244 Jun 16, 2022 6:12 PM

Disappointed to hear this.... but not totally surprised. Even if they were serious about the proposal, the economy is not in good shape now, and proposals like this are no longer in a favorable environment. As Steely pointed out, this isn't the first sexy proposal to die, and it won't be the last.

More importantly.... How does one get into a networking event at the Tribune Tower were you get a tour of the sexy ass outdoor spaces? Asking for a friend......

left of center Jun 16, 2022 6:58 PM

Very sad to hear the news. Hopefully it's not true at an official capacity, but even if this tower was to be developed, my guess is it probably would have had a substantial height chop anyway, which is par for the course when it comes to Chicago development.

The phantom skyline of Chicago proposals that never got built would most likely dwarf our existing skyline, which says a lot since our existing skyline already has some serious heft.

Sky88 Jun 16, 2022 7:00 PM

I don't understand the meaning of all this contraption for this project. The project is not dead, there is still no official indication regarding this alleged statement by Golub. But Golub is not the only owner of the project. CIM Group is. And therefore until further indications are given on possible cancellations or resizing of the tower, it is still in progress.

JN12Franklin Jun 16, 2022 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9651762)
More importantly.... How does one get into a networking event at the Tribune Tower were you get a tour of the sexy ass outdoor spaces? Asking for a friend......

Our CEO was a big sponsor for PWC - Professional Women in Construction (not the other PWC). I was sort of a last minute fill in for one of our unused tickets. There was no way I was turning it down. We started in the 3rd floor event space (massive). Then they took us to their sales/showroom. We also got taken out to the 7th floor sundeck which is literally right behind the Chicago Tribune sign and wraps around to the back where they have space to grill out. We saw the indoor pool too. Then finally they took us to the 25th floor outdoor space for cocktails and hors'doeuvrs. Everything you see is jaw dropping - not to mention the views.

First time I've ever shared pictures on here so not sure if I'm doing this right. Anyway, that's Golub in the first picture with the model.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9dd99e22_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...286913d9_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6ecc3987_c.jpg

Zapatan Jun 16, 2022 7:18 PM

Quote:

I don't understand the meaning of all this contraption for this project. The project is not dead, there is still no official indication regarding this alleged statement by Golub. But Golub is not the only owner of the project. CIM Group is. And therefore until further indications are given on possible cancellations or resizing of the tower, it is still in progress.
+1

Quote:

Yea, I mean you're certainly welcome to stay optimistic. And I can assure you I'm not making it up. Even though I don't post often I've been a long time reader (much longer than the existence of my account). I want to see this get built just as much as everyone else. Any real reporting on this would require multiple sources and I'm just a guy who heard something from a very reliable source but in a very unofficial capacity. Who knows, maybe things will change and Golub will backtrack and it'll get built after all? I agree it's wise to wait for something official. I just won't be holding my breath.
I'm really not that optimistic but not pessimistic enough to assume the project is outright cancelled without official word.

marothisu Jun 16, 2022 7:31 PM

What a dick. So he just let's this thing float around for a few years, never was serious about it, and never bothered to tell any of the news outlets which picked it up (i.e.Tribune) that it wasn't serious?

Dick move from Golub himself.

twister244 Jun 16, 2022 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JN12Franklin (Post 9651831)

:slob::slob::slob::slob::slob::slob::slob::slob:

thegoatman Jun 16, 2022 8:26 PM

Thought this was the city that made no small plans smh

chris08876 Jun 16, 2022 8:28 PM

This is a bad hit. Probably number one in the last ten years or so. The 1200' Waldorf Astoria was another one and the given, the Chicago Spire. :(

Although the cancelation of very prominent Chicago super talls tends to be followed by a nationwide recession... so we shall see. :runaway:

The Groundhog saw its shadow on this one.

twister244 Jun 16, 2022 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 9651950)
This is a bad hit. Probably number one in the last ten years or so. The 1200' Waldorf Astoria was another one and the given, the Chicago Spire. :(

Although the cancelation of very prominent Chicago super talls tends to be followed by a nationwide recession... so we shall see. :runaway:

The Groundhog saw its shadow on this one.

It does suck, but I feel like this past cycle delivered some of the best new buildings in decades. We always want more, but I'm damn happy about where the city is now compared to the beginning of the cycle. We have had a huge amount of population growth in the city core, the West Loop establishing itself, St. Regis, OC, etc.

I guess I'm being glass half full here.

galleyfox Jun 16, 2022 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegoatman (Post 9651947)

Come on now.

Chicago is just about the flattest city on the planet with practically infinite affordable, buildable lots, and you’re wondering why supertalls sometimes fall through?

The construction you see in the West Loop today is the exact process that created the original Loop. The ability to reliably accumulate large lots for bulk construction to achieve maximum cost efficiency.

And supertalls are not efficient. When they’re proposed in Chicago, it’s a sign of investor euphoria and an impending market peak.

Meanwhile, Cities with land shortages have to depend more on height to achieve returns.

Zapatan Jun 16, 2022 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegoatman (Post 9651947)

It is, but there's the following through with said plans part...

galleyfox Jun 16, 2022 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9651977)
It does suck, but I feel like this past cycle delivered some of the best new buildings in decades. We always want more, but I'm damn happy about where the city is now compared to the beginning of the cycle. We have had a huge amount of population growth in the city core, the West Loop establishing itself, St. Regis, OC, etc.

I guess I'm being glass half full here.

As long as the 300-800 ft height range in the city still pens outs, I am not disappointed at all. Those are the buildings where the real social and economic changes are happening in the city.

The 1-2 projects like St. Regis each decade that are truly unique in the world are plenty for me as far as supertalls go. There’s always future generations to create experimental designs.

Steely Dan Jun 16, 2022 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9652009)
It is, but there's the following through with said plans part...

To paraphrase jerry seinfeld:

"anybody can just make big plans, but you have follow through and build the big plans, and that's really the most important part of big plans, the build."