SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

chris08876 Nov 12, 2020 10:16 PM

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...b0d9311cdd.png

chris08876 Nov 13, 2020 1:30 AM

Chicago issues stay-at-home advisory and tells residents to cancel traditional Thanksgiving celebrations

Quote:

Thanksgiving typically means two things: lots of food and lots of family time. But this year, with Covid-19 numbers soaring, the city of Chicago would prefer if its residents nixed the latter.

As cases of Covid-19 continue to rise in the city, Chicago has issued a stay-at-home advisory -- encouraging residents to stay home and only leave for school, work or other essential needs, according to a news release issued Thursday. That includes seeking medical care, grocery shopping and picking up food.

The order, which begins Monday, extends through Thanksgiving festivities. Residents are "strongly advised" to not have guests in their homes outside of essential workers -- even family and close friends.

"Chicago has reached a critical point in the second surge of COVID-19, demanding that we undertake this multi-faceted and comprehensive effort to stop the virus in its tracks," said Mayor Lori Lightfoot in the release.

"The gains we have made this past year have been the result of our willingness to work together. Even in this difficult moment, we will continue to unite as we always have for our city in order to halt the rise we're seeing, shake out of the fatigue we've been experiencing, and make the crucial difference in what our future is going to look like."

The advisory, which will remain in place for 30 days, also imposes a limit on in-person meetings and social events, restricting them to just 10 people both inside and outside.
=================
CNN

the urban politician Nov 14, 2020 3:42 PM

10023’s last post here was Nov 6th.

He made some rather suicidal-ish comments prior to that.

Just sayin........ :shrug::(

If anybody knows him personally, I hope he’s alright

austlar1 Nov 14, 2020 9:33 PM

10023 deals in hyperbole. He is far too in love with himself to engage in suicidal self destruction. Maybe he just caught a case of covid and is temporarily indisposed.

Pedestrian Nov 15, 2020 1:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stay Stoked Brah (Post 9106540)
he was ganged up on and cyber bullied by some people on here because he disagreed with government response to covid ie lockdowns.

He wasn't "ganged up on". People just stated their disagreement and the fact that the only person with any real knowledge who, he might argue, agreed with his position was Tegnell in Sweden.

10023, for years now, has claimed expertise himself and yet has never been willing to explain the basis of his claim. The information he did drop suggested he is in finance, possibly dealing with pharma companies or some such.

But when someone posts that they basically want to involuntarily "lock down" people like me so they can party hearty without concern, don't tell me it is cyberbullying to call them what they are: narcicistic prigs.

Pedestrian Nov 15, 2020 1:52 AM

Quote:

Charts show why S.F. is at opposite end of coronavirus tier system from L.A., San Diego
Kellie Hwang
Nov. 12, 2020 Updated: Nov. 12, 2020 11:22 p.m.

Amid a recent coronavirus surge across the U.S., San Francisco occupies a unique place in California's least restrictive reopening tier — in sharp contrast with the state’s two largest counties, Los Angeles and San Diego.

San Francisco is one of only six among California’s 58 counties in the yellow “minimal” tier and the only large metro area in the state with that distinction.

But in Southern California, Los Angeles County has been stuck in the strictest purple “widespread” level since the state launched its tier system in August. It was joined there this week by San Diego, which was bumped back from the red “substantial” tier as cases have spiked.

Health officials cite many reasons for the surge, including social gatherings, household and workplace exposure, and travel. Young adults also continue to drive the virus. And health officials everywhere say that many people are becoming weary of health protocols and restrictions, and some are returning to normal pre-pandemic behavior despite the risks . . . .

The state’s reopening blueprint specifies what business and public activities are allowed at each tier, and health officials use it to dial back the spread of coronavirus when metrics indicate troubling trends. While counties must not exceed their tier limits, they may choose to loosen restrictions more slowly than their tier allows.

San Francisco’s cautious reopening approach, following an aggressive early pandemic response and strict safety protocols, can be credited for its position at the opposite end of the tier system from Los Angeles and San Diego counties.

Some of San Francisco’s restrictions are far more stringent than its yellow tier allows. The city has paused its reopening timeline several times since the summer, and this week shut down indoor dining in an effort to keep a lid on spiking coronavirus cases.

On Tuesday, in the state’s weekly assignments, 11 counties regressed to more restrictive tiers. They included Contra Costa in the Bay Area, which went backward from orange to red. Napa, Solano and Santa Clara are among the counties in danger of moving to tighter tiers next week.

[John Swartzberg, a UC Berkeley infectious disease expert] has some guesses as to why Southern California is struggling more with the coronavirus compared to the Bay Area.

“Culturally there is a big difference between Northern and Southern California,” he said. “There’s a much more politically homogeneous population in the Bay Area versus Los Angeles. And people tend to follow public health dicta more so here than Southern California.”

He also said San Francisco’s history with the AIDS crisis resulted in a strong relationship among public health agencies and the wider community.

Swartzberg also pointed to the higher number of migrant workers in Southern California, who have been hit particularly hard by the coronavirus.

Placement in California’s four-tier reopening system, launched in early September, is determined by three coronavirus metrics: rate of new cases (adjusted by the state to account for the amount of testing), rate of positive tests and a new equity metric. Under state rules, counties that fail to meet one or more of those thresholds for their tier for two consecutive weeks are moved back into the next most restrictive tier.

In early October, the state introduced a health equity metric that aims to ensure the positive test rates in the most disadvantaged neighborhoods don’t lag behind a county’s overall positive test rate.

San Francisco

When the state launched its tier system on Sept. 1, San Francisco was in the red “widespread” category. It moved to the orange tier on Sept. 29 and on Oct. 28 became the first urban California county to enter the yellow tier.

But officials said cases have surged 250% since Oct. 2. The rapid spike prompted city health officials on Tuesday to shutter all indoor dining, halt high school reopenings and lower capacity at gyms and movie theaters from 50% to 25%, effective after Friday.

Currently, San Francisco has an adjusted case rate of 2.5, which is the seven-day average of daily COVID-19 cases per population of 100,000, adjusted for the number of tests performed. The rate has risen since the past two tier assessments of 1.7, and before that, the case rate was 1.5. But this is still very low compared to 5.1, where San Francisco started in the new tier system.

While the adjusted case rate is slightly above the yellow-tier threshold, the county got a boost by meeting the state’s health equity metric. San Francisco also has some of the most widespread testing in the state.

One area where San Francisco has excelled is its positive test rate, which has not risen above 3% since the new monitoring system was put in place. For the past three weeks, it was below 1%, and while it has bumped up since then, it’s still at 1.1%.

And its health equity metric has also remained low: It began at 3% but dipped below 2% starting the week of Oct. 12, and stayed below the yellow tier threshold of 2.2% ever since.

Experts have pointed to a number of reasons that San Francisco has done particularly well compared to the rest of the state, including its early shelter-in-place order, stringent safety protocols including mask-wearing and social distancing, and slow, cautious approach to reopening.

Los Angeles County

Since the new monitoring system launched, Los Angeles County has remained firmly in the purple tier. Last week, it hit its highest daily case total since Aug. 15, and has reported an average of more than 2,000 new cases and 15 deaths per day, according to the L.A. Times Tracker.

In its first tier assessment, the county’s adjusted case rate was 9.6. Since then, it’s hovered between 7 and 8.1 — never low enough to get out of the purple tier. But the percent positive rate has stayed at orange “moderate” tier levels, with the latest at 3.8%. The health equity metric hit its peak at 6.8% on Nov. 2, and remains high at 6.5%.

Health officials have said for some time that social gatherings are driving the spread in Los Angeles County. One specific example is the many people who got together to watch the Dodgers and Lakers through their championship runs, both culminating in victories in October that led to fans spilling out in the streets to celebrate.

Like much of the state and country, health officials point to pandemic fatigue causing many to eschew safety protocols and restrictions.

San Diego County

San Diego County was the lone Southern California county in the red tier when the state rolled out its new system Sept. 1, with the rest of the south state solid purple. The case rate was rocky at first for San Diego County, but officials managed to get it under the threshold of 7.

Still, the rate continued to inch close to the purple-tier threshold for weeks, creeping above the line on Oct. 19 before going down briefly the following week. But on Nov. 2, the case rate was at 7.4, and shot up to 8.9 this week, prompting state officials to move the county into the purple tier. In San Diego County, weekly cases are up 70%.

Coronavirus spread at universities has been a lesser problem in California compared to other states, since many schools are operating virtually. But since San Diego State began allowing some in-person classes for the fall semester, more than 1,300 students have become infected.

The county reports that 58% of all cases are in individuals ages 20 to 49
. The 20- to 29-year-old age group had the highest number of cases at 25.1%, with the next highest at 18.4% in 30- to 39-year-olds. A disproportionate number of cases are attributed to the Latino community, accounting for 58.8% of cases but only 30.1% of the population.

The most recent COVID-19 Watch report for San Diego County on Nov. 10 shows the highest possible origin of recent exposure at 34.4% is the workplace, with the next highest bars and restaurants at 10.1%. Household exposure was also high at 34.2%, and travel-related exposure at 21.2% with 8.6% of respondents having visited Mexico, which the county notes is mostly work-related.

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/15/20/...44/7/940x0.jpg

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/15/20/...32/7/640x0.jpg
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...f-15723615.php

Yuri Nov 15, 2020 2:56 PM

Brazil has finally left the 1,000 daily deaths average (from beginning of June up to ending of August) and now it's on 400's. 166,000 deaths in the country, 41,000 in São Paulo state.

Signs of second wave is emerging in the upper classes of São Paulo. For the first time since the peak, admissions on those high end hospitals start to grow.

The US reached 251,000 deaths. I didn't believe this could happen, but it seems the country might close the year with 300,000 deaths, which is insane.

This vaccine must come as soon as possible.

twister244 Nov 16, 2020 4:44 AM

Yeah..... It feels pretty bad all around right now. Part of me wants to try to get back into shape and go to the gym, but the other (stronger) part of me says I just need to wait. Here in Denver, we are operating at 25% capacity. I have been ordering a lot of takeout and delivery to help my local restaurants. The only thing about this "lockdown" phase that feels different is there's a dim flicker at the end of the tunnel that is slowly getting brighter as more vaccine news trickles in. Unlike in March/April when this was all still new and nobody knew how the timeline of this was going to unfold.

photoLith Nov 16, 2020 5:02 AM

^
Its going to be 2022 before anything starts to feel normal again.

iheartthed Nov 16, 2020 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 9107396)
^
Its going to be 2022 before anything starts to feel normal again.

Dr. Fauci said this morning that we should start to return to normal around April.

PersonOfInterest Nov 16, 2020 6:08 PM

Think we can take the boards down now, or have to wait until inauguration day?

MonkeyRonin Nov 16, 2020 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9107617)
Dr. Fauci said this morning that we should start to return to normal around April.

Things will likely start opening back up and restrictions loosening by then, but I imagine there will still be elevated levels of caution and some restrictions in place for most of the year. 2022 seems like a realistic time for when things will be back to pre-2020 "normal".

Pedestrian Nov 16, 2020 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin (Post 9107855)
Things will likely start opening back up and restrictions loosening by then, but I imagine there will still be elevated levels of caution and some restrictions in place for most of the year. 2022 seems like a realistic time for when things will be back to pre-2020 "normal".

Things will NOT "return to normal" for a long time. Maybe never. The "work from home" thing will recede but not totally. Some people will start riding transit and going out to eat again but not everybody--not me for a while at least.

I think there's a difference between removing restrictions, which I expect to happen before next summer, and convincing people to abandon the self-protective measures they feel comfortable with.

suburbanite Nov 16, 2020 9:44 PM

That's really the only reasonable long-term goal. The virus likely isn't going to be eradicated forever. Get to the point where people can decide for themselves what level of "openness" they're comfortable with while not inadvertently harming at-risk individuals (by promoting adequate vaccination rates).

Economically though, this has a very "before and after" feel to it. I don't think economic/employment opportunities will fully recover for a very long time. I can't imagine what the job market will look like for recent grads, as companies cut in-person staff (and probably try and push lower wages as part of a work-from-home, balanced lifestyle). It's going to likely further discussions around the wealth gap as we see a top-heavy economic recovery from rebounding stock markets without equal employment gains at the bottom.

A lot of people are going to be struggling far past 2022 I fear.

mhays Nov 16, 2020 9:44 PM

I suspect that a year from now I'll wear a mask in public when I'm sick, but otherwise act normally. And I suspect that will be common.

But I'll probably be working partially from home.

mhays Nov 16, 2020 10:17 PM

Even if the mask is only worn during SOME of the contagious period, the community spread would be dramatically reduced.

And I kinda like wearing the mask when it's cold anyway.

homebucket Nov 16, 2020 11:51 PM

Wearing is a mask is the reason why countries like Taiwan and South Korea have been able to beat COVID and return to normalcy. That and requiring 14 day quarantine for travelers coming into the country. Clubs and raves are lit over there now like COVID never happened.

Just wear it, brah.

https://cdn.dribbble.com/users/10046.../nike_mask.png

JManc Nov 17, 2020 1:14 AM

I think masking will stick around with some of the population, mainly those with health issues, elderly and those hypervigilant (same ones who take selfies with them on and those who wear them in the car alone) but I suspect when Covid slows down to a dull roar after a vaccine has time to make its way around, the vast majority will ditch them. I surely won't be volunteering to wear one once this passes...

toddguy Nov 17, 2020 3:19 AM

I think that come December we are really going to be screwed. Going into Christmas will be different because of what happens due to Thanksgiving get-togethers. It will be very bleak here I think. Too many Ohioans who will not believe in fact and science and just plain common sense.

the urban politician Nov 17, 2020 4:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9108297)
I think masking will stick around with some of the population, mainly those with health issues, elderly and those hypervigilant (same ones who take selfies with them on and those who wear them in the car alone) but I suspect when Covid slows down to a dull roar after a vaccine has time to make its way around, the vast majority will ditch them. I surely won't be volunteering to wear one once this passes...

The cat is out of the bag with masking in the Western world.

Never again will masking feel strange or be met with widespread derision or suspicion.

Yes, we will stop wearing them after the pandemic, but in the future it will not be an uncommon site to see a person wearing one when sick and walking around in public. Kind of what you were seeing in Asian countries after the Swine Flu epidemic.