SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

JManc Mar 16, 2020 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8863725)
There were lots of abuses in WW2 I dont think we need to really go into the finer details of internment.

There's commandeering vital facilities during a national emergency and then there's internment camps. The feds can do one without the other.

Kid Rock is refusing to shut down his restaurant in Nashville. Nashville-Davidson and/ or TN should be able to force him to shut down.

Obadno Mar 16, 2020 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8863802)
There's commandeering vital facilities during a national emergency and then there's internment camps. The feds can do one without the other.

Kid Rock is refusing to shut down his restaurant in Nashville. Nashville-Davidson and/ or TN should be able to force him to shut down.

I dont think they can for now, most of these are once again "suggested" They'd have to somehow make a public health case to a court which they probably cannot do yet as there are not enough cases.

hauntedheadnc Mar 16, 2020 5:35 PM

Quote:

Um... It's a bit late for that, and I'll just leave it at that.

10023 Mar 16, 2020 5:46 PM

Quote:

Why? You can go to a restaurant without coughing sneezing on anyone (if you feel sick you should stay home anyway), shaking hands, etc.

This is all too much.

10023 Mar 16, 2020 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uaarkson (Post 8863285)
Economic conditions in the US are deteriorating rapidly. This is pretty scary.

Yes. Much scarier than this virus.

bnk Mar 16, 2020 5:50 PM

The world has gone insane.

https://external-content.duckduckgo....3D1&f=1&nofb=1

https://i.imgur.com/0jpEjCh.jpg

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8863825)
Why? You can go to a restaurant without coughing sneezing on anyone (if you feel sick you should stay home anyway), shaking hands, etc.

This is all too much.

Among other reasons, the people who work there would have to wear rubber gloves and should be wearing face shields at least to protect themselves. Remember that the transmission of this disease is not so much by droplets (such as being coughed on) but by transmission from surfaces to hands to nose/mouth/eyes. So any server or bartender who touched the table, bar, utensils, dinnerware, glassware etc would have to be wearing PPE.

Same goes for customers. Sitting at a bar would be especially perilous but even individual tables would need to be wiped down with alcohol or bleach between customers.

photoLith Mar 16, 2020 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 8863718)
Romney proposed giving every US adult $1K immediately

yeah that outta do it

Oooohhhh a whole 1000 dollars, that will make up for months of unemployment...

iheartthed Mar 16, 2020 5:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8863809)
I dont think they can for now, most of these are once again "suggested" They'd have to somehow make a public health case to a court which they probably cannot do yet as there are not enough cases.

The state doesn't need to prove the public health emergency to a court in order to shut businesses down.

Obadno Mar 16, 2020 5:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8863828)
Yes. Much scarier than this virus.

Deteriorating is not the right description.

Everything is just shutting down. Like on hold.

The economy of March 16th is no different from the economy from 2 weeks ago in any objective measure.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/us-j...uary-2020.html

'Job growth smashes expectations"

We are pretty much going to lose a quarter or two due to quarantine but as soon as the Virus starts to die down or we get an idea of how the lifcycle is going to be we will bounce back quickly to the way it was before.

Actually this stock sell off and panic might have prevented a bigger and more general recession in the next 12-24 months. Like a pressure release.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8863837)

For many people, it will pay the rent for a couple of months. And remember that it is on top of unemployment that's currently available to most. One additional "reform" that will be needed is to temporarily eliminate the requirement that those collecting unemployment actively look for work. Not only won't they find any right now but looking is counter to "social distancing".

Obadno Mar 16, 2020 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8863837)

If you are a service sector employee that cant get work for 3 weeks that 1000 bucks would be a big deal.

Plus didnt they announce some additional paid sick leave access to unemployment etc?

What do you expect the government to roll out 100% pay for everyone overnight?

Handro Mar 16, 2020 6:06 PM

Quote:

This is all too much.

Sure, many people can. Unfortunately I think you’re putting way too much trust in the commitment of the masses to public health. Way too many people are still not washing their hands regularly, trying to enact any measure of social distancing or staying home if they feel sick. If the world was full of responsible and respectful adults, you’d have a point.

JManc Mar 16, 2020 6:08 PM

Quote:

This is all too much.

This should be common knowledge by now, like 'social distancing' and 'flatten the curve', but people can be seemingly fine and be infected thus spread it around unknowingly. In New York, they are still allowing take outs (even alcohol from pubs) as to not wipe out the restaurant industry. My wife and I went out to eat over the weekend and decided not worth the risk and will lay low; we both have mothers nearby who are 70.

bnk Mar 16, 2020 6:09 PM

There are a long list of medications we are being warned about in my hospital that will soon be in short supply due to fact the precursors of which are produced in China.

Every hour there another list of medications that are going to be in shortage.

We never could even have had a small skirmish with the Chinese in the south China sea or defending Taiwan.

China could and still can have the capability to harm the majority of our drug supply faster than anyone outside of the Pentagon.

Well at least I hope we learned that allowing our enemies (and Communist China, who has been waging all out economic warfare since 1990, is indeed our enemy) to control our means of production for anything important (such as pharmaceuticals) is suicidal.

Had they threatened to cut off the production and supply of them, and while I don’t view that as a casus belli because we put ourselves in that situation, I hope it is a wake up call for us.

Not just for pharmaceuticals, but for many other things. 5G, Military technology, the strangle hold on rare earth elements.....
The USA can mine rare earths, but regulations price continues to let China control with worlds supply.

I believe there should be free trade with other countries, but what we have allowed China to do to us (and they have done with great relish accompanied by financial and political gain) is not “free trade” by any stretch of the imagination.

The mantra should be from anywhere but China now. Even our surgical and N95 makes are made in China, and yes we are having a shortage of them too btw.

iheartthed Mar 16, 2020 6:15 PM

Quote:

This is all too much.

The problem is that the health care system will collapse.

But this didn't need to happen at all. All of these western governments that are suddenly playing defense had two months to mount a proactive response. All of this disruption to our daily lives is the result of inaction (and incompetence) for two months while we watched this spiral in Asia. A perfect example of why it didn't have to be this way is how South Korea was able to get their pretty large outbreak under control, and with an extremely lowest mortality rate. Compare that to Italy, where the mortality rate has been 10 times Korea's and the outbreak got out of control.

BG918 Mar 16, 2020 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8863879)
The problem is that the health care system will collapse.

But this didn't need to happen at all. All of these western governments that are suddenly playing defense had two months to mount a proactive response. All of this disruption to our daily lives is the result of inaction (and incompetence) for two months while we watched this spiral in Asia. A perfect example of why it didn't have to be this way is how South Korea was able to get their pretty large outbreak under control, and with an extremely lowest mortality rate. Compare that to Italy, where the mortality rate has been 10 times Korea's and the outbreak got out of control.

American hubris at its finest. “We don’t need to worry about anything that’s someone else’s problem”. We’ll hopefully learn our lesson, only after the economy is in ruins and thousands are dead.

jd3189 Mar 16, 2020 7:41 PM

It finally reached San Bernardino County and now my med school is giving the option of either taking our prescheduled exams this week or canceling them, averaging our previous grades, and ending the year early.

Obadno Mar 16, 2020 8:19 PM

I really dont know what everyone keeps saying "should be doing"

Nobody seems to have any idea what "should" be happening besides way over the top impossible nationwide shut down, I think its just everyone liking to bitch.

Every country is struggling with this, most worse than the USA at the moment.

There really isnt much a government can actually do about this kind of an incident.

Docere Mar 16, 2020 8:34 PM

Toronto's top public medical official has called for the closing of dine-in restaurants, nightclubs and theaters tonight.